Buffalo is the tenth most dangerous city in the U.S.A

Buffalo 66

I love stories like this. The town I live in, or city nearby, whatever... I promise you I can take you to a few places you would not walk out of if you went in looking like a sheep. Of course, it's a small country podunk town, but it does not matter because it's not a household name.

A lot of theses stats can be misleading. Richmond, VA used to always be in the top 10, but that was due largely to large segments in the city with high crime, but outside the high crime areas and in the suburbs it was perfectly safe. Similarly, there are areas of Chicago that are as dangerous as anywhere else, but statistically those are offset by the size of the population.

I love stories like this. The town I live in, or city nearby, whatever... I promise you I can take you to a few places you would not walk out of if you went in looking like a sheep. Of course, it's a small country podunk town, but it does not matter because it's not a household name.

I'm curious what city. I used to make deliveries in parts of Wilson, NC where EMS wouldn't go. I've even been pulled over and questioned by the cops for just driving through. I never had any problems, but I've had my heart in my throat a time or two down there.

Edited by Rob's House

NY and Chicago do not release their data in time for this list, normally. However, they are VERY large cities and as such there may be a lot of violent crimes there but the violent crimes per capita, which is what this list (correctly) effectively uses could be pretty low.

A few big cities - Chicago and New Orleans come to mind- know to reclassify stuff for these. High murder rates cause its hard to hide bodies but rape becomes a simple sexual misconduct, attempted murder goes to simple assault etc.... Without being familiar with the cities involved practices this is nothing more than a VERY rough/vague barometer indicating these aren't particularly safe. The actual ranks pretty worthless though.

A few big cities - Chicago and New Orleans come to mind- know to reclassify stuff for these. High murder rates cause its hard to hide bodies but rape becomes a simple sexual misconduct, attempted murder goes to simple assault etc.... Without being familiar with the cities involved practices this is nothing more than a VERY rough/vague barometer indicating these aren't particularly safe. The actual ranks pretty worthless though.

Numbers aside, New Orleans is a real **** hole.(parts anyway) A friend and I wandered off the beaten path and into a housing project of New Orleans about a decade ago, in search of greener pastures. To this day I feel great relief that we emerged unscathed - well, other than being $20 lighter with nothing to show for it.

Edited by Rob's House

Numbers aside, New Orleans is a real **** hole.(parts anyway) A friend and I wandered off the beaten path and into a housing project of New Orleans about a decade ago, in search of greener pastures. To this day I feel great relief that we emerged unscathed - well, other than being $20 lighter with nothing to show for it.

You have to try pretty hard to accidentally end up in the projects.

There's be no indication of greener pastures along the way. Not sure how that one happened.

Greener pastures and New Orleans is an oxy moron isn't it? I have never heard to many good stories about New Orleans. What cost you $20?

You have to try pretty hard to accidentally end up in the projects.

There's be no indication of greener pastures along the way. Not sure how that one happened.

I'm not necessarily saying it was accidental, or that pastures were literally the green objective. I'm just saying I felt rather fortunate when I emerged.

Greener pastures and New Orleans is an oxy moron isn't it? I have never heard to many good stories about New Orleans. What cost you $20?

A blue bag of tobacco. I didn't take the time to negotiate & inspect. I GTFO ASAFP.

I'm not necessarily saying it was accidental, or that pastures were literally the green objective. I'm just saying I felt rather fortunate when I emerged.

A blue bag of tobacco. I didn't take the time to negotiate & inspect. I GTFO ASAFP.

Ahhh - I took it as the proverbial better things to do, not actual green. Yea that could've been a terrible choice

The most alarming thing from that article was this:

Buffalo's crime rate has fallen steadily since the 1990s, along with the rest of the country, but with 30% of its residents below the poverty level, police are having difficulty driving the rate lower.

30% of the city is below the poverty line?!?!?