Why so many missed tackles?

HelloNewman

Barnett is being asked to play seriously out of position. He has been a 4-3 then 3-4 MLB for most of his career with GB. He played 3-4 MLB here last year. This is the first time ever in his career he's been asked to play WLB and make tackles in space, and it hasn't been smooth sailing.

It's hard to tell if that's because he's lost something or because he's struggling with the transition.

There are also clearly scheme issues - Barnett should NOT be asked to cover Fitzgerald, ever.

The Cards schemed that perfectly. Gotta give credit to Whisenhunt there

Too much "arm-tackling" attempts. That won't work in HS generally, let alone the NFL. They can't tackle fundamentally because it appears the player attempting the tackle is generally behind the ball carrier or otherwise out of position. Not enough good LB's.

Agree with everything said about how horrrible the LB's are. Everyonw knew that going into the season. I said Sheppard was the worst MLB in the league and he is proving that. He is too small for MLB in a 4-3. He would be fine as one of the MLB's in a 3-4. Barnett is old and out of position. If any trade is to be made an upgrade at LB is what is needed most. Unfortunatley every team in the league after six games except Cleveland believe they have a shot at the playoffs. Very unlikely the Bills can do anything to upgrade at this point. And while I like Merriman, he is not an upgrade to anything.

QB's and LB's in 2013 draft.

Are the Bills linebackers a little on the small side? They seem to play like they are. Rather than tackle in a way that would drive a running back to the ground instantly, they tend to hold on and get dragged for a few yards. I can understant how that may happen later in the game when the LB is tired and banged up and just can't muster the energy or desire to take a running back head-on. That was especially true when the Patriots decided to pick on Scott and just keep running at him. I blame Wanny for letting that go on for so long without doing something about it. Scott is a SS playing LB. He can't be expected to take the abuse of trying to catch a running back in his gut over and over again.

Guys are too cool to wrap up. They want the Sportscenter big hit

From a league-wide standpoint, I find this to be a bigger issue than lack of practice. Every game you see players trying to blow up the opponent with a missile strike kind of tackle instead of wrapping, and driving through.

Too much "arm-tackling" attempts. That won't work in HS generally, let alone the NFL. They can't tackle fundamentally because it appears the player attempting the tackle is generally behind the ball carrier or otherwise out of position. Not enough good LB's.

Speaking of high school and colleges, I think that in many sports possibly including pro football that good fundamentals are taught better at the lower levels because the pro game is so complex that fundamentals are often overlooked.

I know a lot of people who prefer college hoops to the NBA for this very reason of good fundamentals.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Because their LB's aren't very good. On the OP list that corresponds to "lack of talent".

It's the LB's that you want making most of your tackles, the LB's that are supposed to be the best tacklers, and the LB's that are without question the weak unit on the Bills defense. Barnett has had a good career but has clearly lost something with age. Sheppard is limited. Scott is a strong safety playing LB. Moats is a DE playing LB.

Bradham shows some promise but he is also a rookie 4th round pick who hasn't played a full game's worth of defensive unit football yet in the NFL.

This.

and when we have Barnett and Scott in there both those guys are just around 220 lbs... take a look at the size of Houston's linebackers. We get run over for a reason whenever those little guys are in the lineup. They do alright when they stay clean, but if a team is able to pull linemen out to lead block like NE did then it's all over.

sheppards been a major disappointment. hes often out of position and either hits hard or whiffs

barnett might be fine on a team with strong lbs but hes on the downside and is asked to do too much so he looks a little slow and overmatched at times

the other lb spot could be played by my grandma for all the good its doing

the lbs are KILLING this defense. we knew they were the weak link but holy hell its been so much worse than i expected