Chan/Whisenhunt Reactions to Bad Penalties

MURTR

I know there are different styles of coaching....they range from Bill Cowher (spit in your face) to Tony Dungy (soft-spoken). I personally would prefer someone maybe not as hard-nosed as Cowher, but someone whom players not only respect but fear a little.

Was wondering what everyone thought of both Chan and Ken Wisenhunt's reactions to players on their team taking stupid penalties....

Whisenhunt

-Cardinals FB Maui'A caught a ball in the flat, carried some defenders a couple yards, got up and spiked the ball and got 5 yrds for delay of game. It was a boneheaded play and Whisenhunt let him and pretty much everyone else on his team know that that would NEVER be tolerated by verbally undressing him on the sideline for everyone to see. It looked like he yelled at him "WHAT THE F@#* ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!" a good 3 times right in the players face.

I think Whisenhunt is a pretty good coach, hasnt had loads of talent on his teams, but always seems to get them to over-achieve. Remember, they were an insane Santonio Holmes' catch away from being Superbowl Champs.

Gailey

-TE Lee Smith pushes a Cards defender after the whistle and picks up a 15 yrd personal foul. He goes to the sideline and says sorry to Chan, while Chan quietly says something along the lines of you know you can't do that stuff.

I am all for being a "players coach" but if you ask me which player is less likely to repeat a mistake, i would have to guess it would be the Cards fullback. I mean Marv was a pretty mellow coach, but even he got pissed off/animated every once in a while.

I'm not saying this should be a reason Gailey should be fired (there are others), I just feel like majority of the people we identify as good coaches would probably have gotten more in the players face than Chan (i.e. Belichick, Harbaugh bros, Parcells, Cowher, Tomlin etc.).....just curious as to what people thought.

Much ado about nothing, thats just Gailey's style, and he's trying to focus on what to do now that he's back to 2nd and 24 or whatnot. Don't read into it too much.

This^

Or we can B word and moan since we only saw a moment of what happened.

Personally I felt like **** when my parents were "disappointed" much more than mad

Much ado about nothing, thats just Gailey's style, and he's trying to focus on what to do now that he's back to 2nd and 24 or whatnot. Don't read into it too much.

Dude, what in the world is the deal with your name (it's 'sandwich' BTW) and avatar? Just curious if I'm missing a reference or something?

either style can work but lets face it the hardass style is easier to pull off in the nfl. these guys are generally coddled egomaniacs and putting some fear into them is the easiest way to get their limited attention span. but they are also still people, sometimes you have to look way deep past the layers of selfishness to find it, but they are people. so if a coach can tap into that and become more of the father figure then the dissappointed back turn can be even more powerful than the in your face chewing out

i would generally prefer the coach of my favorite team to be a nice man, but as long as he isnt a total douche cough belicheck cough cheater cough then i dont really care what style he uses as long as it works

I know there are different styles of coaching....they range from Bill Cowher (spit in your face) to Tony Dungy (soft-spoken). I personally would prefer someone maybe not as hard-nosed as Cowher, but someone whom players not only respect but fear a little.

Was wondering what everyone thought of both Chan and Ken Wisenhunt's reactions to players on their team taking stupid penalties....

Whisenhunt

-Cardinals FB Maui'A caught a ball in the flat, carried some defenders a couple yards, got up and spiked the ball and got 5 yrds for delay of game. It was a boneheaded play and Whisenhunt let him and pretty much everyone else on his team know that that would NEVER be tolerated by verbally undressing him on the sideline for everyone to see. It looked like he yelled at him "WHAT THE F@#* ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!" a good 3 times right in the players face.

I think Whisenhunt is a pretty good coach, hasnt had loads of talent on his teams, but always seems to get them to over-achieve. Remember, they were an insane Santonio Holmes' catch away from being Superbowl Champs.

Gailey

-TE Lee Smith pushes a Cards defender after the whistle and picks up a 15 yrd personal foul. He goes to the sideline and says sorry to Chan, while Chan quietly says something along the lines of you know you can't do that stuff.

I am all for being a "players coach" but if you ask me which player is less likely to repeat a mistake, i would have to guess it would be the Cards fullback. I mean Marv was a pretty mellow coach, but even he got pissed off/animated every once in a while.

I'm not saying this should be a reason Gailey should be fired (there are others), I just feel like majority of the people we identify as good coaches would probably have gotten more in the players face than Chan (i.e. Belichick, Harbaugh bros, Parcells, Cowher, Tomlin etc.).....just curious as to what people thought.

To be a quiet, soft spoken coach ala Dungy you have to COMMAND respect from football knowledge and also from getting W's. Dungy's players bought into what he was selling which allowed him to be himself. We haven't gotten the W's yet so Gailey being the way he is doesn't look as good as when Dungy did it. If we were to start making the playoffs this year and next and become a power, he'd be praised for it.

At this point in this team's evolution, we might have been better off with a screamer who would just get these guys to play balls to the wall 100% of the time. And then once the talent level rose to very high find someone who is a more balanced coach if the screamer couldn't get it done x's and o's -wise

Dude, what in the world is the deal with your name (it's 'sandwich' BTW) and avatar? Just curious if I'm missing a reference or something?

Lol, I think you asked me this before and I didn't say anything. Must be killing you. I was drunk and not happy about a Bills loss and decided to start a name on here. Luckily, it took them a while to allow me to post (I probably wouldn't look to smart in my posts had I been able to with drunken rambling) but I guess I misspelled it in my drunken anger and didn't know how to use a space bar. Sorry for annoying you for it, but I thought it was funny and decided I would just keep it going.

I know why I made the name though, its because of Kyle Willimas being nicknamed by some as "ham". I was going to put in my signature..."Derius, Kyle, and Mario in for the sack, its a ham sandwich!!!" but I was not able to because I didn't have the option being a new person.

So there you have it, the story behind the name. Love it, hate it, its all the same! :beer:

the over the top crazy screaming coaches always remind of that scene in old school where Will Ferrels character is freaking out and screaming 'we gotta keep our composure' while banging a folding chair into the lockers.

Having played for a few coaches like that, and the more calm more mentor type, I can tell you the wild screaming ones are not the best.

This^

Or we can B word and moan since we only saw a moment of what happened.

Personally I felt like **** when my parents were "disappointed" much more than mad

Riiiiiight.... My mother did the hitting in our house... All my father would have to do was give me "the look" and I would learn... I like Chan, I really do. But I gave him 3 years just like I did Jauron... Chan will only be a good coach with a good QB... Since we don't have THAT QB, Chan is handicapped... Therefore has to go...

How about that FREE FIRST DOWN THEY GAVE THE CARDS? WAS I TRIPPIN CAUSE I COULD OF SWORN THAT I SEEN THE CHAINS PAST THE BALL. WE Even replayed it and it still stood. THAT CALL LEAD TO A TD FOR ARZ.. I WAS BURNING HARD!.

I KNOW THIS IS IN CAPS BUT I'M STILL PISSED OVER THAT CALL CAUSE IT COULD OF COST US THE GAME.

Whisenhunt

Gailey

When you get older you become more grandfatherly, which may explain his demeanor.

But I gave him 3 years just like I did Jauron... Chan will only be a good coach with a good QB... Since we don't have THAT QB, Chan is handicapped... Therefore has to go...

He has only been here for two and change.