Fitz- The final straw

Losman had a GREAT deep ball, but had trouble throwing WRs open with passes in the 10-25 yard range. Interesting that the current crop of WRs are getting open, wide open, but lack a QB who can get them the ball. Would Losman "flourish"? I doubt it. Not the current one anyway, but something tells me the offense would be better if a young Losman was in the system - the one who was full of confidence and thought he had a promising NFL career ahead of him.

To be clear - I meant the young Losman would probably flourish with Gailey and this OL - before Jauron's idiot coaching staff and lousy OL turned him from the NFL's 11th rated passer to a confused washout.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reality is the team is going to win or loss with Fitzpatrick this season. Neither Thigpen or Jackson look like solutions. I am not even sure why the GM felt the need to acquire Jackson but that's a story for another thread. Fitz is a likeable guy and has some good qualities but his lack of accuracy is a real liability. But as Buddy might say you dance with the date you brought to the ballroom. Like it or not barring any serious injury or revelation by the coaching staff we're stuck with Fitz for the season

Acquiring a franchise type QB to lead this team has to be the priority next offseason. Outside of shoring up the LBer's and finding another WR this team has no more important need. I'll support the team for the remainder of the season and hope for the best with a wildcard spot a possibility. But until they commit to resolve the QB situation, which has been lingering since Kelly retired many seasons ago, this team will not take the next step to compete with the elite teams of the league for a title.

I don't care however this season turns out....we need a franchise QB for next season that is not currently on our roster.

Our lack of QB play is holding us back so much its difficult to be competitive

Agree 100 %. Also the inferior coaching as compared to other teams. We just don't develop the talent,

Bottom Line : Inferior coaching + inept QB = inferior product on the field. But there is no way we can overcome our flaws like other teams do with the horrible QB play. We need to draft and develop a QB in round 1 or 2 instead of finding another cornerback for our nickel package..You keep addressing the QB position over and over again until it's solved. It's not so much that Fitzpatrick is so inaccurate and a turnover machine but it's the fact he doesn't realize just how bad he is. :wallbash:

Neither do I. We just won the game and everyone finds the Negative. Buffalo people can find the raincloud on a sunny day like no people I've ever seen.

Actually.... the metaphor I'd use in regards to what we witnessed (again) from this QB: "We both see a pile of crap sitting on a plate but somebody puts a candle on it and lights it and you (the apologist)s try to tell us it's birthday cake. But ..ya know... it's still a pile of crap to most of us. The QB postion must be solved... if that means drafting a QB every year until it's resolved just do it !!!

How can a team be mentally tough and go into a game thinking they are GOING to win, when in their minds they know the QB can ruin it all ?

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Neither do I. We just won the game and everyone finds the Negative. Buffalo people can find the raincloud on a sunny day like no people I've ever seen.

They can also watch their team miss the playoffs for 12 straight years like nobody else. It's almost as if there's a correlation! Nah.

I'm so tired of hearing "we've seen him do it before" when we've watched him NOT do it more. It really sucks that theres no other option. They've really painted themselves in a corner. We'll never see a playoff game with him at the helm. Bout to watch some guys who can actually throw the ball without looking like they're having a seizure.

one of you gentlemen mentioned that he hoped Ryan would be recovered fully now from Fletchers hit.

I think we all expected more from Fitz this year. He look nothing like he looked when he had a hot hand early last year. He might get settled down. Lat week says no, but 0 interceptions is a good start.

Thats what loses games is turnovers. I dont mind if we can just run and let him manage the game. But the safeties start creeping up and the box gets stuffed and you have to throw.

We have no real idea what Thig can do and we have some idea what Jackson can do but not in Chan's system.

So we got fitz.

I bet Nix and Whaley are doing everything they can to get an upgrade and were looking hard last year.

But they prioritized fixing the defense. Thats what i would have done after last years overunning us. this year MUST be about QB

I think David Lee should have left Fitz's mechanics alone. To try and change a guy at that age is just asking for trouble. Fitz was better last year before his injury than he is now. Instead of working on his mechanics, he should have concentrated on the mental aspects of the game and making better decisions. In other words, make him a better quarterback instead of trying to make him a better passer. Right now, Fitz looks like he has regressed badly in his ability to throw the football. Trying to tweak his mechanics has produced an awful passer.

I don't hold out a lot of hope that Fitz will become a better passer but I will say that sometimes as an athlete, a musician, or a student, you will practice certain techniques over and over and instead of a gradual improvement, you'll find that after a period of zero improvement that suddenly you'll make a big jump.

In other words, improvement is not always linear and not always in direct proportion to how much you practice.

There is still a chance that David Lee and Fitz' mechanical overhaul will eventually lead to a better passer. And the improvement could happen suddenly.

I'm not predicting this but I am saying that I've seen it happen before.

I don't hold out a lot of hope that Fitz will become a better passer but I will say that sometimes as an athlete, a musician, or a student, you will practice certain techniques over and over and instead of a gradual improvement, you'll find that after a period of zero improvement that suddenly you'll make a big jump.

In other words, improvement is not always linear and not always in direct proportion to how much you practice.

I wonder just what qualifies you to make such statements regarding of all things musicians? you are sadly mistaken especially in regards to " in other words, improvement is not always linear and not always in direct proportion to how much you practice". What are ya talking about here learning to tune a Bassoon? Surely, you're not speaking of improvement involving a professional musician or artist for that matter in regards to practice?

But, I would love to hear your "source" or experience to back this. Or maybe admit you took a little too much "artistic license" to post that as fact.

I wonder just what qualifies you to make such statements regarding of all things musicians? you are sadly mistaken especially in regards to " in other words, improvement is not always linear and not always in direct proportion to how much you practice". What are ya talking about here learning to tune a Bassoon? Surely, you're not speaking of improvement involving a professional musician or artist for that matter in regards to practice?

But, I would love to hear your "source" or experience to back this. Or maybe admit you took a little too much "artistic license" to post that as fact.

Wow.

You don't know anything about what sports and what instruments I played growing up.

I played organized sports for years. I was also a music major. In college.

Even as a regular student of maths, sciences, and language I've found that learning isn't always linear or in direct proportion to practice/study.

What makes you so expert that you attack my statements (which many teachers and coaches would affirm)? Do you think humans are programmed like computers? You've never had something "click" after pounding your head against it with no results?

Your skepticism is of an ugly variety (your last line and the use of quotations) and your questioning the honesty of my opinion is kind of weird to tell the truth.

You're so wise as to judge that I'm spinning some fiction for God knows what reason?

What reason is it by the way?

I'm dying to hear the reasons for your skepticism of my opinions and why I might be lying?

Is there something I have to gain here by being untruthful?

Your absolutely right. We shouldn't be bashing Fitz. We should be bashing Buddy for giving us his all and this is still what we have for a starting QB. And Chan, because he still doesn't get it that Fitz isn't a good QB.

Fitz is what he is. I guess it's like when we used to bash Whitner. It's not that yes horrible, it's that he's what we've got and we expect him to be better. Well... He's not better. It's clearly obvious that Futz isn't progressing. If anything he's regressing. So to that, I say the only person that can help Fatz get any better is Chan. Chan clearly must be able to see that he's not a superstar QB and if he was smart he would limit the number of opportunities of Fagz as much as possible. And that goes back to my points that we have a beefed up OL and 2 solid RBs and Chan should be limiting Fizz' bad descisions and bad throws every chance he can and just allow him to manage the game.

Hey, I didn't even overexagerrate for you there.

Very good, mrags! In fact, aside from the gratuitous name calling, I agree completely. Fitz is what he is - a mid-pack NFL QB. That's where he was last year, that's where he is this year, statistically (last year started out at the top of the middle due to hot start, right now bottom of the middle, largely because of INTs) People who count all the throws that he misses, I don't think keep track as much in other games and don't get it that other mid-to-bottom tier QB miss throws, too, including important game changing throws - and those QB aren't starting because they're wonderful, they're starting because top-tier truly elite NFL QB are hard to find even at the top of the draft, and take a while to develop when you do find them.

I've been saying since last year that one of the major problems with the Bills is Chan play-calling as though he has a truly elite QB under center, one of the handful who can carry a team with their arm such as Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Stafford. Chan has similar pass/run percentages to these teams, without the elite guy at the helm. Instead, Chan's got a game manager type guy who would show to best advantage in a run-centric, limited number of high-percentage pass game such as the Texans and 49ers run. The fact that the Texans made the playoffs last year with their 3rd string QB speaks volumes as to what can be done, as does the fact Harbaugh is winning with a guy who had <55% completions his 1st 3 years in the league and was benched as a bust. It can be done.

So yes, long winded way of saying I agree, it's not that Fitz is so horrible as a QB, it's that Chan is play-calling as if he's elite, and he's not, and he won't be, so we're stuck with expecting Fitz to be better. And I agree, I was hoping Lee might help him progress up a notch, and instead he's regressed down two notches and is missing throws he made last year.

I must also agree that I feel Buddy's approach to the QB situation (Levi Brown in the 7th round, Thigpen, Vince Young, Tarvaris Jackson) seems...inadequate, even as depth. I thought Tarvaris Jackson might be a good move, but if Chan won't even dress the guy and he can't beat Thigpen on the depth chart, what good is he?

There is still a chance that David Lee and Fitz' mechanical overhaul will eventually lead to a better passer. And the improvement could happen suddenly.

This is very true. Physically, I call to mind a friend whose daughter was a competitive gymnast at the state level. She struggled and struggled to do a back handspring on the balance beam, taking nasty fall after nasty fall. This impacted her other, previously solid skills which began to show struggles. Then one day it clicked, down the beam she went, and she "had it". I know from my own musical studies that you have a point there, as well.

I wouldn't predict it either, but it can't be excluded.

Edited by Hopeful

I doubt that this non-linear improvement has happened or ever will happen at Quarterback in the NFL. At this point, as an athlete, you are who you are. I think there is something to the "groove your faults" theory. Just like Jim Furyk's golf swing, maybe Fitz should just play instead of thinking about where his left hip should be in a shotgun. He'd still suck, but he may be more confident and natural in his suckiness.

Wow.

You don't know anything about what sports and what instruments I played growing up.

I played organized sports for years. I was also a music major. In college.

Even as a regular student of maths, sciences, and language I've found that learning isn't always linear or in direct proportion to practice/study.

What makes you so expert that you attack my statements (which many teachers and coaches would affirm)? Do you think humans are programmed like computers? You've never had something "click" after pounding your head against it with no results?

Your skepticism is of an ugly variety (your last line and the use of quotations) and your questioning the honesty of my opinion is kind of weird to tell the truth.

You're so wise as to judge that I'm spinning some fiction for God knows what reason?

What reason is it by the way?

I'm dying to hear the reasons for your skepticism of my opinions and why I might be lying?

Is there something I have to gain here by being untruthful?

Nope never said you're untruthful. What I was leaning towards is your statement and analogy is totally wrong and flawed regarding practice in music. Then using that to compare sports practicing. Apples to oranges. Studying a instrument nothing really changes, it is theory( and yes technique). In sports it does change, evolve, etc. constantly.My skepticism is based on my education, personal and professional experience, of which I won't post on a sometimes hostile anonymous sports board to get skewered.I simply don't care for listing a short resume like you.

Your original post was in regards to practice and music read it again. If you've been published on this topic, I will read it. otherwise like mine it's simply an opinion based on nothing but personal experiences, opinion, and education.

Remember the saying Practice makes perfect? That's what many teachers, players, students live by, for a very long time now. It is a linear function regarding learning and practicing MUSIC IMO. Comparing it too sports is somewhat if not an impossible analogy. I'll stop here because writing a paper on the argument isn't needed on a football forum. That's what it would take.

Organized sports, past high school I'm no expert. So, I cannot speak on with any authority based on my experience. As for music I can, and simply disagree with again your analogy using musical training and practice then comparing it to sports practicing That's what I was pointing out.

If your just using your college experiences then great. If you're now a professional musician, and a professional athlete. Then maybe you're correct and have the experience to correctly make the original analogy, and comparisons. I only have one of the two.

I should have stayed out of this, but I simply find zero correlation between sports and musical practicing. Hey that's me.

I doubt that this non-linear improvement has happened or ever will happen at Quarterback in the NFL. At this point, as an athlete, you are who you are. I think there is something to the "groove your faults" theory. Just like Jim Furyk's golf swing, maybe Fitz should just play instead of thinking about where his left hip should be in a shotgun. He'd still suck, but he may be more confident and natural in his suckiness.

I dunno how one quantifies "non-linear improvement" of a QB. There are QB who have shown a sudden, dramatic improvement in various statistical metrics. Did something "click" for them? Was it a different scheme/coach? Can one tell? Don't know.

To be clear - I meant the young Losman would probably flourish with Gailey and this OL - before Jauron's idiot coaching staff and lousy OL turned him from the NFL's 11th rated passer to a confused washout.

Losman couldn't read a safety to save his life. With the heavy emphasis on pre/post snap reads, I don't think JP would succeed in Gailey's offense. First Mularkey and then Jauron and Co. really had to shorten the playbook for Losman. If he had the decision making ability in the first place, he may very well still be in the league today.

GO BILLS!!!

... but I simply find zero correlation between sports and musical practicing. Hey that's me.

How about the first universal cornerstone of practice: repetition?

From football to music to tiddlywinks, repetition is key.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually.... the metaphor I'd use in regards to what we witnessed (again) from this QB: "We both see a pile of crap sitting on a plate but somebody puts a candle on it and lights it and you (the apologist)s try to tell us it's birthday cake. But ..ya know... it's still a pile of crap to most of us. The QB position must be solved... if that means drafting a QB every year until it's resolved just do it !!!

How can a team be mentally tough and go into a game thinking they are GOING to win, when in their minds they know the QB can ruin it all ?

Could not possibly agree more! Great Post... :thumbsup: