Bills 4-12 over the last 16 games ... Chan is not the man

As bad as Chan has been, I dont want him gone. I want a real QB who could complete wide open TD passes.

I am convinced that this team knows they can't win with Fitz. Its very evident. The D gives up because they know they have no chance. With P Manning the Broncos know they can win down 21 with 7 mins left. Same with the Pats and Packers and a number of other teams. Our D sees Fitz throw one of the worst picks I have ever seen a professional QB throw and they say to themselves 'pack it up boys we suck, lets go home'.

No coach could win with Fitz. No coach would even try to win with him.

If Chan sticks it out with Fitz the whole year, then thats an issue. If he and Nix dont bring in a real QB this offseason, thats an issue. Only then does he deserve to be fired IMO

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hardly defending anyone. Just pointing out the broken record merry-go-round we are on. We run guys out of town then want to bring them back.

PTR

Because they guys who replace them are even worse than they were. The Bills are several stops removed from Marv Levy- HOF coach. People aren't longing for Dick Jauron because he was a good head coach, it's because, while he lost, at least he didn't get blown out every other week and his teams quit on him less frequently.

It always reminds me of something I heard a long time ago... When people say that "It can't get any worse", they don't know what they're talking about. It can ALWAYS get worse. Same goes for Gailey. It can get even worse than him. Keep that in mind as names for his replacement are bandied about.

Edited by vincec

As bad as Chan has been, I dont want him gone. I want a real QB who could complete wide open TD passes.

I am convinced that this team knows they can't win with Fitz. Its very evident. The D gives up because they know they have no chance. With P Manning the Broncos know they can win down 21 with 7 mins left. Same with the Pats and Packers and a number of other teams. Our D sees Fitz throw one of the worst picks I have ever seen a professional QB throw and they say to themselves 'pack it up boys we suck, lets go home'.

If Chan sticks it out with Fitz the whole year, then thats an issue. If he and Nix dont bring in a real QB this offseason, thats an issue. Only then does he deserve to be fired IMO

That's the problem - we don't have any other options. If we had a young, unproven guy we were trying to develop for the future I'd be fine playing him if the season got worse - we don't have that guy. TJ, Thigpen and Smith are all known quantities and sadly, none of them probably represent an upgrade over Fitz.

As for bringing in a real QB after this season, I'm not sure that happens. The Bills may be bad, but they aren't top pick bad - once again I think the pickings at QB will be pretty slim by the time the Bills draft. The FA QB market next year is terrible - not sure you'd get anyone there, either. The chances of having a markedly improved QB situation next season is pretty grim. This is why it's downright criminal that the Bills as an orgnization have refused to do anything on the QB front for so long - now we're in real trouble.

Chan is overall an above average OC & bad HC.

Fire Wanny & sit Fitz already!

I see this sometimes and it makes me scratch my head. What, in his entire career but particularly in Buffalo, makes you think Gailey is an above average OC?

He came into last season with the short-slant stuff that worked for a few games, then got figured out and exposed. Since then he has employed ... the same short-slant five wide scheme with no adaptations. He has had mediocre records at best wherever he has been. And has an absolutely abysmal record thus far in Buffalo. He is not some young kid who is learning the ropes causing these catastrophic failures, rather he is looking at retirement in a few years (or maybe sooner). Where is "above average" in there?

I don't want Gailey or anyone else fired until a better replacement is found. But good lord if Gailey is your idea of above average I'd hate to see your idea of bad.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The fact is, this latest incarnation of Ryan Fitzpatrick is Gailey's own handiwork! It was Gailey who pushed for Fitz to be given a long-term contract. And Gailey who decided a last year to stick with Fitz no matter what.

Interceptions, Bad play, Broken ribs, -it didn't matter. It's Gailey's psychotic determination to stay a dysfunctional course That's killing our team!

I'd even submit that during Gailey's tenure, Fitzpatrick has REGRESSED as a QB! The guy was never lights out, but in the last ten games, Fitz has performed horrendously!

Gailey is a loser. He's lost wherever he went, and been fired from every job he's ever had. The Kordell Stewart years aside, the man has had a lousy career. His loser mentality is now hobbling our team on both sides of the ball. The only way to change this deep-rooted culture of failure is to destroy is at it's source. FIRE CHAN GAILEY. And shortly after that, FIRE DAVE WANNSTEDT.

That's where the road forward starts.

Calling Capt. Hindsight!

Just curious if you only joined TBD in the last few years. That may explain the lack of recall of the Jauron, Mularkey, Greggo and Wade Phillips eras. I remember them vividly. Each and every time (insert name here) was the worst coach in Bills history...at least according to TBD.

Remember why we said Phillips sucked? He wouldn't wear a headset! And he spoke with a southern accent so he sounded dumb. How about "Meathead" Mike? Called a pass play on 3rd & goal against Miami instead of running like we all knew he should of. Wound up blowing a 21-0 lead and losing.

Greggo and his airhorn, Jauron and his blank stare, Fewell because he had the stink of Jauron on him. We always know what coaches are idiots and need to be fired.

Like clock work we turn on every coach and clamor to start the process again, buying another 3 years of no playoffs.

PTR

Nobody benefits from a turnstile at the coach's door. The bottom line is that the team needs to win to stop it. Ralph has stepped up with the money. On paper the defense should be much improved. The reality couldn't be further from the potential. Wins in the NFL today are built off of a great coaching staff, a very good QB and a defense that is "good enough." There are exceptions to this formula but not many.

Calling Capt. Hindsight!

Just curious if you only joined TBD in the last few years. That may explain the lack of recall of the Jauron, Mularkey, Greggo and Wade Phillips eras. I remember them vividly. Each and every time (insert name here) was the worst coach in Bills history...at least according to TBD.

Remember why we said Phillips sucked? He wouldn't wear a headset! And he spoke with a southern accent so he sounded dumb. How about "Meathead" Mike? Called a pass play on 3rd & goal against Miami instead of running like we all knew he should of. Wound up blowing a 21-0 lead and losing.

Greggo and his airhorn, Jauron and his blank stare, Fewell because he had the stink of Jauron on him. We always know what coaches are idiots and need to be fired.

Like clock work we turn on every coach and clamor to start the process again, buying another 3 years of no playoffs.

PTR

I have complained about Gailey since the day he was hired, and all you have done is defend him! We aren't talking about the nuances of different head coaches that fans don't like, we are talking about actual coaching ability here!

The man has made so many serious mistakes in so many areas concerning players I question his ability to judge talent in any position on the team. I also question his ability to coach up players at any position. Gailey is supposedly a QB guru, and yet at QB he has failed with every player brought in except for Fitz, and even now Fitz has been falling on his face recently.

Where Gailey really fails is on the defensive side, if Jauron was an offensive moron what do we call defensive Gailey? This HC has set records for worst run defense in the 50 year history of the franchise with DC George Edwards, and now the supposed good 4-3 DC has failed even worse then George Edwards... if that can even be conceivable. This head coach has set new records for being bad.

In some fans it takes longer to recognize a bad coach, but after 3 years now everyone but you acknowledges that Gailey is a bad coach. Is it the fans fault that this owner will pay 100 million dollars to a player,and yet refuses to pay a top head coach. Its why the Bills have the 3 years and out on head coaches.

This is where fans some fans mentality of the QB situation really gets me.

Chan Gailey picked Fitz, he has had 3 years to draft and develop a rookie. HE CHOSE FITZ, and has stuck with him. Gailey has had 3 years to bring in other free agent QB's like VY and then cuts him because he can't learn the offense fast enough. Tarvaris Jackson is inactive every week because he can't learn the offense fast enough.

The reason Gailey likes Fitz is because its all Fitz, he can read the defense and set protections while finding the open receiver and get him the ball in under 3 seconds. If any of the other QB's the Bills have had on the roster were able to do that,they would be starting!

What the fans would see with any other QB is a bad O line that can't pass block very well, can't control the line of scrimmage and can't pass block for more then 3 seconds. Most other QB's need 3-5 seconds to run a normal offense, Fitz can get the ball out faster.

The real problem isn't the QB at all, its how this HC wants to utilize the QB. If all Fitz had to do was hand the ball off to the two superstar RB's he would be fine. Instead Chan Gailey thinks he has Tom Brady behind center, along with the Patriots receiver corps,and O line. So he is always trying to emulate the Patriots offense by calling 4-5 WR spread shotgun sets, and calling pass play after pass play with a backup QB, one WR and a sub par O line.

Ok. So you still like Obama too, right? He was left with a mess and made it worse. But I still like the guy. Puleeese. If I performed at my job like either Obama or Gailey, I'd be fired.

Gailey sux and he has from the get-go. The real problem is that we're all so desparate for anything other than perpetual losing, that we're willing to jump on the bandwagon of anything that's new.

OOh, Fitz won a couple of games, he's awesone. OOh, Jauron was awful, Gailey will rock. OOh Russ Brandon sux, Buddy's the answer.

It goes on and on. I have no answers for this team. They spend money, but in the wrong places. They draft like s**t. Ralph's ego is too big for him to sell the team before his death and let someone else make try to make something of it. Talent has to be lterally bribed to come here. My prediction for this week?

ANOTHER HUGE BLOWOUT LOSS.

Just because Fitz is playing terrible and Wanny doesn’t seem to have a clue, it doesn’t take any blame away from Chan. I like Chan too but he took over a bad team and made it worse. The HC is responsible for all aspects; offense, defense and ST but Chan only seems to get involved in the offense. It appears that he gives Wanny total control of the defense and Dehaven total control of the special teams. It’s Chan who hired George Edwards and requested/allowed the switch to the 3-4 which set us a few years back personnel wise now that we’ve already switched back to the 4-3. It was Chan that promoted Wanny to DC even though he appeared to have no idea how to fix the terrible defense last year. He decided Fitz was his guy ignoring his shortcomings that were obvious to many on TSW. He continues to run 5 wide sets and throws the ball all over the field when our RBs not our QB/WRs are the strength of the offense. The capper to me is this team seems to quit or get down on themselves too often and Chan has no clue how to get them out of the funk. There have been too many stretches of lopsided losses where the team just has no spark. 0-8 to start 2010. 7 straight losses last season. 2 straight blowouts this season.

If Chan can’t get this team turned around and playing some inspired football, he’s gone and we start the 3 years rebuilding process all over. Maybe we can find that up and coming assistant coach. Hopefully we can at least get someone that is in the NFL.

This is where fans some fans mentality of the QB situation really gets me.

Chan Gailey picked Fitz, he has had 3 years to draft and develop a rookie. HE CHOSE FITZ, and has stuck with him. Gailey has had 3 years to bring in other free agent QB's like VY and then cuts him because he can't learn the offense fast enough. Tarvaris Jackson is inactive every week because he can't learn the offense fast enough.

The reason Gailey likes Fitz is because its all Fitz, he can read the defense and set protections while finding the open receiver and get him the ball in under 3 seconds. If any of the other QB's the Bills have had on the roster were able to do that,they would be starting!

What the fans would see with any other QB is a bad O line that can't pass block very well, can't control the line of scrimmage and can't pass block for more then 3 seconds. Most other QB's need 3-5 seconds to run a normal offense, Fitz can get the ball out faster.

The real problem isn't the QB at all, its how this HC wants to utilize the QB. If all Fitz had to do was hand the ball off to the two superstar RB's he would be fine. Instead Chan Gailey thinks he has Tom Brady behind center, along with the Patriots receiver corps,and O line. So he is always trying to emulate the Patriots offense by calling 4-5 WR spread shotgun sets, and calling pass play after pass play with a backup QB, one WR and a sub par O line.

I get all that, so if Chan can admit he was wrong and go get someone who is competant then I dont mind Chan sticking around. He chose Trent over Fitz at first, then ditched Edwards. I feel like Chan would love to bench Fitz but he realistically doesnt have anyone else to try. Nix wanted to draft Cam Newton but couldn't. I think the Bills do want a QB in the draft and this year is the one to do it.

Bottom line is: there isnt a coach in the league who could win with that type of play at QB. There is no excuse for our D to be this bad though.

Edited by peterpan

if you're replying to my post, that's not what I was saying.

I've followed this board pretty closely over the years. A lot of people get all hyped up when (mediocre) changes are made and then all jump on the "they suck" bandwagon.

I never saw any potential in Gailey, Fitz, or Nix. Maybe I was the only one. This is basically the nucleus of a team. None of these three came with any winning credentials.Why people thought so highly of any of them from the start is baffling to me. That's all I'm saying. I feel bad for the guys on the team that do have talent. It's wasted here.

So basically everyone sucks.

/thread

I get all that, so if Chan can admit he was wrong and go get someone who is competant then I dont mind Chan sticking around. He chose Trent over Fitz at first, then ditched Edwards. I feel like Chan would love to bench Fitz but he realistically doesnt have anyone else to try. Nix wanted to draft Cam Newton but couldn't. I think the Bills do want a QB in the draft and this year is the one to do it.

Bottom line is: there isnt a coach in the league who could win with that type of play at QB. There is no excuse for our D to be this bad though.

The bottom line is there are many coaches who could win with Fitz at QB, its how the coaches utilize him!

IMHO Jeff Fisher, Rams- Jim Harbough, 49ers- John Harbough, Ravens- Gary Kubiak, Texans would all know how to use use Fitz properly. Look at Harbough with the 49ers, 3 years ago Alex Smith was more worthless then every QB out there, they couldn't trade him and hated to play him. Harbough takes over and that same bum of a QB takes them to the NFC championship game.

Lets face it, Fitz is an average QB at best, but he does have that ability to find the open receiver and get him the ball in under 3 seconds. So build the offense around a power running game and just have the QB hand off along with short quick passes. Instead Gailey just wants to throw all game long and puts the outcome in the back up QB's hands instead of the RB's and the real play makers.

Lets also not forget that the Bills were up 21-7 against the Patriots before the defense folded. The offense did manage 28 points on both the Jets and Patriots so they are not completely useless.... unlike the defense

The backslide the bills have experienced is shocking. Coaching must be a big part of it. Players also have to play well but the fact they have admitted to being flat or uninspired is astounding. It shows a lack of leadership in the locker room and among the coaches. This team has no pride.

I was going to stop reading your post after the bolded part, which makes no sense. Take away Fitz and Chan is still bad, yet you want him to stay?

Do you recall the score when Fitz threw that int? It was already 24-3. You're saying that the team said "let's go home" after that? That's a laugh. Where were they before that?

No one would try to win with Fitz? Others are winnning (or trying to) with Blaine Gabbert, Weedon, Brady Quinn, John Skelton, and recently Colt Mccoy, Tebow...well, you should get the picture.

And you're also sating that if Chan doesn't draft a QB next year he should be fired? On draft day 1? 2? Or how long do you give him to bring in some FA QB? until OTA's? Training camp? How does your plan work?