who is accountable in this organization?

Let's be honest with ourselves here. The bills are already knee deep into another season of futility and disappointment.

We just had our butts kicked in back to back weeks. All time record historic beatdowns.

This is a billion dollar industry. This type of failure cannot be tolerated. Maybe if we weren't on the longest active playoff drought in the league I would be more willing to give them the benefit of doubt, but Clinton was our president for our last post season appearance.

This team routinely under achieves and disappoints. When will things change ? Who is accountable???

Unfortunately I think the root cause is Mr. Wilson and nothing will change until we have new ownership....but then when that happens we might not have a team anymore.....sigh....

Everyone's accountable in the football operations. The ones who can make a difference right away is Nix or Gailey, but they won't do a thing. Perhaps at the bye week there will be changes, but Nix and Gailey seem to lethargic to do anything.

The fans aren't accountable, but could make a statement by not showing up period for the Titans game. Empty lots, empty stadium, empty concessions. But have a massive tailgate party downtown and invite the TV crew and the Jills.

Everyone's accountable in the football operations. The ones who can make a difference right away is Nix or Gailey, but they won't do a thing. Perhaps at the bye week there will be changes, but Nix and Gailey seem to lethargic to do anything.

The fans aren't accountable, but could make a statement by not showing up period for the Titans game. Empty lots, empty stadium, empty concessions. But have a massive tailgate party downtown and invite the TV crew and the Jills.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish but the odds of fans who bought tickets already to not use them and go to a separate game day event are slim to none.

More than likely they make statements by not buying tickets to the Dec games and having a had full stadium. But then the flip side is the half full stadium will be used as proof buffalo can't support a team, irrespective of the fans disgust and frustration

I understand what you are trying to accomplish but the odds of fans who bought tickets already to not use them and go to a separate game day event are slim to none.

More than likely they make statements by not buying tickets to the Dec games and having a had full stadium. But then the flip side is the half full stadium will be used as proof buffalo can't support a team, irrespective of the fans disgust and frustration

And the cycle of mediocrity continues.

Explain to me how Ralph gets the blame this year. Leading up to this year we had the contracts to Fitz, Freddie, Chandler, Stevie, Urbik, and Kyle Williams, plus the free agent additions of Mario and Anderson. Mario gets the largest contract of any defensive player EVER. What bigger commitment are you looking for?

Explain to me how Ralph gets the blame this year. Leading up to this year we had the contracts to Fitz, Freddie, Chandler, Stevie, Urbik, and Kyle Williams, plus the free agent additions of Mario and Anderson. Mario gets the largest contract of any defensive player EVER. What bigger commitment are you looking for?

Another 93 years! Ralph is cheap.

I put most blame on coaching right now. Nix next, then players, and lastly Ralph.

How many regimes have we been.through the last 15 years?

What is our record this millennium? All-time?

What has been the 1 constant? Who is the final authority on this teams operations, decisions and accountability?

Ralph.

Let's be honest with ourselves here. The bills are already knee deep into another season of futility and disappointment.

We just had our butts kicked in back to back weeks. All time record historic beatdowns.

This is a billion dollar industry. This type of failure cannot be tolerated. Maybe if we weren't on the longest active playoff drought in the league I would be more willing to give them the benefit of doubt, but Clinton was our president for our last post season appearance.

This team routinely under achieves and disappoints. When will things change ? Who is accountable???

Unfortunately I think the root cause is Mr. Wilson and nothing will change until we have new ownership....but then when that happens we might not have a team anymore.....sigh....

You're not exactly drinking the cool aid.

Relatively speaking - I'm new to American Football. I only started watching the game after I came to go to school at RIT in late 80s/early 90s. It was hard not to admire not just the team on the field - but the coaches (who else had a Harvard educated Lit. major as coach?) and the front office.

I'm sure some of you will disagree, but the rot began with the John Butler & Wade Phillips fiasco and the way they were both dismissed. Sure we can blame Ralph and at the time Butler alluded to how difficult Ralph was to work for and yet still appreciative of the opportunity. Something "happened" way back then and has ingrained itself into the organizational structure.

I along with most folks here would like to think that if we just fired this coach or signed that player and just reshuffled the FO, that we'll be on our way...again...There have been signs along the way - the Tom Donahoe/Mularkey transition was a royal clusterfrought.

When Buddy Nix was put in charge I was hugely optimistic. But it's apparent that there isn't an innovative mind or creative thinker in the entire FO ala Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore or Jerry Reese in New York or Ted Thompson in Green Bay. Coaching is just one part of the equation. Maybe Asst. GM Whaley is the way into the future. But even he is tainted now.

It's easy to blame Ralph and make him the boogeyman. And for sure in the time since '99 he has to shoulder a lot of the blame. But I keep thinking the Bills are very comfortable, maybe even scared to enter and compete in the new NFL. That is trickling down onto the team and onto the field.

I commend them for signing Mario. At the time it was seen as a really bold move and no more "Old Bills." As awful as the investment has been, at the time it was the absolute right thing to do. But I still think it was the equivalent of a two legged stool.

Until someone - hopefully Ralph before his death - brings in a knowledgeable neutral party to do a comprehensive analysis to revamp the organization - we are going to have more of the same. This is about the culture and the way they do business at OBD, there needs to be a relatively new bright, eager and innovative mind who is well integrated into the new NFL in charge of this organization. And I mean a complete handing over of the keys...

I nominate these two - Marc Ross and Eric DeCosta. Ross even went to the Giants from the Bills. So he would know a little about the existing culture and perhaps bring some of the organizational systems and know how from NY/Reese. There have even been reports that Ross would love to come back to Buffalo.

http://www.giants.com/team/staff/marc-ross/b3f10aa5-b99b-4517-8abd-ea613a65d0de

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/staff/Eric-DeCosta/f9720ac4-2e1d-4155-85df-d8f1ba782a54

If Ralph and the decision makers don't even talk to these guys (presuming they're still available) the next go around, we'll at least know there is no desire within the organization for real change.\

Until the Bill do something along these lines the ghosts of the past will continue to walk the halls and fields of OBD and be the evil that keeps us from being successful into the future.

C

1. The coaches are not taking players and developing them. There is no way this team should be playing this poorly with the talent they have.

2. They have an extremely unsatisfactory QB. Inaccurate, a low Football I.Q. and he's a turnover machine. it's hard for any team to win when you are continually put behind the eight ball.

3. The players don't have any fire in their bellies. I coached 17 years ( 12 at the junior College level) and for some reasonit looks like to me that the teams heart has been taken away. Now whether it's from the poor preparation by the coaches, the fact that they KNOW they cannot dominate(consistantly) with Fitzpatrick at the helm or some other intangible... but they had lost the game before it started IMO.

BOTTOM LINE : INFERIOR COACHING (NOT PLAYERS) AND A SUBPAR QB = AN INFERIOR PRODUCT ON THE FIELD.

Sad reality but unless Geno Smith falls in to our laps the future is dismal, especially with this undying belief in Fitzpatrick. :wallbash:

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

That's a fresh and welcome POV cale. We need more of you around here. There is institutional rot in this football team; there is very few left around here that would deny it at this point. I don't know how to solve it, but i'd welcome your suggestions based on your post.

What bothers me is that Gailey is not involved with the D at all by his own admission. It sounds like he is basically the O coordinator and not a strong head coach at all. Obviously this team is lacking in leadership. IMO Gailey needs to have his thumb on the pulse of all 3 units and hold people accountable.

Also there are decisions to be made and actions to be taken that are best done by an involved owner or strong GM. We will see how that plays out but coaches are just a voice who accomplish things through relationships with others. NFL coaches are an elite and loyal bunch. It's not in their best interest to burn bridges

In 1986 we signed Kelly, Kent Hull and made the deal to get Bennet in 87 along with some great drafts. We also made some great FA aquisitions along the way getting Leonard Smith and James Lofton.

After missing the playoffs in 1994 we signed Bryce Paup, Ted Washington, and Jim Jeffcoat - hell we p[aid Jeffcoat 3 Million a year to play 3rd down and sack the QB and he did.

Not sure how/why Butler left but it has been downhill ever sense although I think Malarkey/Donaho could have made something but the Drew Bledsoe deal killed the whole effort - you were going to lose with or without Bledsoe.

This organization needs to be swept clean - ten years os mismanagement, poor drafts, poor coaching, poor FA signings have led to this collapse.

You could see it coming, back when many were excited and thinking playoffs - I did not. This is a bad organization and bad team.

What bothers me is that Gailey is not involved with the D at all by his own admission. It sounds like he is basically the O coordinator and not a strong head coach at all. Obviously this team is lacking in leadership. IMO Gailey needs to have his thumb on the pulse of all 3 units and hold people accountable.

Also there are decisions to be made and actions to be taken that are best done by an involved owner or strong GM. We will see how that plays out but coaches are just a voice who accomplish things through relationships with others. NFL coaches are an elite and loyal bunch. It's not in their best interest to burn bridges

I think in order to do this, he needs to hand over the offensive keys and become a head coach. This is very similar to the head coach also being the GM - you can't easily do both well at the same time. There's no doubting Gailey's offensive pedigree, but he's the head coach, not the OC. I think he should give the play-calling duties to Modkins or Lee or whoever else can do the job, so he can step away and address the defense - not take over the defense, but watch over it and put pressure on Wannstedt.

At the same time, he should also bench Fitz...be it the next time he starts having a bad game or starting either this week or against Tennessee. There's no better motivator than the threat of losing your job, so maybe Fitz needs to sit down and watch/help Thigpen or TJax.

I also agree that the organization is a big factor in the lack of progress since 2000. The end of the Butler era really signified the downward turn that this franchise took. Once the organization was gutted for Donahoe, there has been a lack of direction and leadership ever since. I understood why Ralph said a few years back that he was sticking with Jauron to maintain continuity (even though it was a bad idea) because they can't keep changing management every 3-4 years and expect to start winning. But at the same time, he needs to do something similar to what he did with Donahoe - hand over the keys to the kingdom to a guy that understands the football and business sides - except hopefully get a guy that makes the right moves.

Edited by BuffaloWings

1. The coaches are not taking players and developing them. There is no way this team should be playing this poorly with the talent they have.

2. They have an extremely unsatisfactory QB. Inaccurate, a low Football I.Q. and he's a turnover machine. it's hard for any team to win when you are continually put behind the eight ball.

3. The players don't have any fire in their bellies. I coached 17 years ( 12 at the junior College level) and for some reasonit looks like to me that the teams heart has been taken away. Now whether it's from the poor preparation by the coaches, the fact that they KNOW they cannot dominate(consistantly) with Fitzpatrick at the helm or some other intangible... but they had lost the game before it started IMO.

BOTTOM LINE : INFERIOR COACHING (NOT PLAYERS) AND A SUBPAR QB = AN INFERIOR PRODUCT ON THE FIELD.

Sad reality but unless Geno Smith falls in to our laps the future is dismal, especially with this undying belief in Fitzpatrick. :wallbash:

Who made the decision to hire the coach?

Problem solved.

Once the organization was gutted for Donahoe, there has been a lack of direction and leadership ever since.

That's when Ralph finally mailed it in.

Even then, the writing regarding Donahoe was on the wall, plainly. But even then, no one wanted to read it much less heed it.

The organization keeps plucking people that have ridden coattails of other successful coaches and GMs, and then they paint them to be "the real reasons why their employers were so good."

That's like saying that the reason why Belichick is so good is because of Daniels, Crennel, Weiss, etc., rather than putting the horse before the cart and simply saying that it was Belichick that created them, not visa versa.

This organization works completely the opposite though. They find some stiff that can't really be criticized for lack of data. Then they broad brush him with whitewash and sometimes (Jauron, Wannstedt) turd-polish.

But under the superficiality of their statements there's always data that suggests strongly that they're full of it too. it's just that no one wants to see it.

If you don't want to see it, you won't. The rest, as they say, is history.