Do You Always Root for the US in Sports?

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Always Root for the US in Sports?

• Yes
    • No

The World Cup posts and events led me to ask this question. I tend to always root for my country's team amd athletes. but certainly found myself rooting against the US in cases such as my dislike for some members of the US basketball dream team during the Olympics.

In reviewing the thread about the Hockey World Cup, there clearly were some posts added by our Canadian friends rooting for their team, but i also saw some comments against the fat cat American team which I think was from my fellow US citizens.

So I'm curious, do folks always root for their home country or do they make their judgments if who support based on the athletic event or something about the team?

What the fug is wrong with 67% of you??????????? Who the fug do you root for? France? China? Saudi Arabia? Go fug yourselves! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

God Bless America!

What the fug is wrong with 67% of you???????????  Who the fug do you root for?  France?  China?  Saudi Arabia?  Go fug yourselves!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

God Bless America!

14080[/snapback]

I agree. IF you don't like the states then get !@#$ out.

What the fug is wrong with 67% of you???????????  Who the fug do you root for?  France?  China?  Saudi Arabia?  Go fug yourselves!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

God Bless America!

14080[/snapback]

What's wrong with me? I'm not a blind sheep who follows the flock no matter what. So you can go root for any American even if he's an idiot scumbag and I'll pick the man/woman who I think represents what I think is important in life...and that's not what country you happened to be born in.

Honestly guys like Alan Iverson and Gary Hall Jr. make me want to puke...it embarrasses me that they're from the same country as I am.

And in case none of the above makes sense to you, I can speak your language as well.... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

God Bless America!

14080[/snapback]

I agree. Since some people on this board are from Canada, or overseas, I can understand why you wouldn't be loyal, but if you are born and raised in the US, in a time where the spirit of our country is challenged the most in history, I would be surprised and dissapointed in anyone who doesn't cheer for our homeland.

i 've rooted for whoever plays vs the French Rugby team for about 20 years now and i don't root often for the french soccer team . I usually pick my favorites teams based on the way they play their games or i root for my region 's club teams, why would i root for a rugby team that is made of guys i hate the rest of the year? i don't care if they wear the jersey of my country, for what i care about countries... I'll never understand nationalism and patriotism.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Fugg the USA 'Dream Team'... they didn't care obviously, and it showed.

Let em lose, and let the REAL US Olympic athletes compete. THEY are the ones I cheer for.

I always root for the US but I just realized that with asses like Hull, Modano, Tkachuk, Smolinksi being coached by a jackass like Ron Wilson that I suddenly wasn't averse to the idea of seeing them get worked over a little. However that sentiment didn't last long as I caught myself involuntarily muttering a mild expletive in the 2ndperiod when Brodeur made a tough save.

So once again in the annals of human history, no matter where the head leads, the heart will go where it will.

Cya

God Bless America!

14080[/snapback]

Perhaps the question should be "What's wrong with you?"

We're talking about an ultimately meaningless sports event, not the second world war. :unsure:

What the fug is wrong with 67% of you???????????  Who the fug do you root for?  France?  China?  Saudi Arabia?  Go fug yourselves!   :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

God Bless America!

14080[/snapback]

HAHAHA... you are kidding right?

Just because I sometimes like to see an underdog win, or there is a compelling story behind a certain sprinter, etc...

Its not like "do sometimes you root for Armys from different countries in wars against the US?" ... its JUST sports. JUST a game. get over your self man... jesus.

I will always root for amateur USA athletes.

I could care less about the "Dream" Teams, and the US/HNL hockey team that finished dead last at the Olympics and acted like a-holes the whole time definitely did not get my support. I was rooting for Dom and the Czechs that time.

What's wrong with me?  I'm not a blind sheep who follows the flock no matter what.  So you can go root for any American even if he's an idiot scumbag and I'll pick the man/woman who I think represents what I think is important in life...and that's not what country you happened to be born in.

Honestly guys like Alan Iverson and Gary Hall Jr. make me want to puke...it embarrasses me that they're from the same country as I am.

And in case none of the above makes sense to you, I can speak your language as well.... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

14087[/snapback]

Alan Iverson plays harder than anybody in the NBA, and he gave his all for the USA basketball team, including giving his summer to represent his country in the Olympics. He did nothing to embarass this country over there. Do you still root for a running back who had sex with a fifteen year old? Get off your stupid high horse and Iversons back you non-patriotic jackass.

Thanks for some interesting results and comments. its still running at exactly 50/50 in terms of votes at this point with some fairly virulent comments from fellow American patriots who object to US folks not supporting their team.

I voted no I don't always support US team despite being a US citizen because I don't always root for US teams and athletes. I watch sports for entertainment rather than for political affirmation because my sense is that this form of entertainment usually has more to do with the efforts of individual athletes and dumb luck that even a way of life and certainly not some philosophical view of political systems.

Clearly their are examples like the US team in 1980 where the result in a sport has some political impact or some political statement is mad. However, even in this case, the US won because:

1. Herb Brooks adopted the Soviet style and abandoned a losing US style.

2. The key seemed to be the acknowledgement by brooks that the Soviets would win 99 of 100 games against the US, but not tonight!

I simply tend to be motivated heavily in getting entertainment from sports by rooting for the underdog. This feeling can be overcome by issues such as one opponent sharing my alma mater, being from the same country as me, or other trivia (dare I say it, such sports unrelated items as being from my home city, being of the same race, or having the same hair color or increasinlgly being bald).

So I certainly am happy to root for the team or an athlete from another country. This is particularly true if I view the US athlete as a jerk. I rooted for Borg over McEnroe before and would do it again.

So I certainly am happy to root for the team or an athlete from another country.  This is particularly true if I view the US athlete as a jerk.  I rooted for Borg over McEnroe before and would do it again.

14410[/snapback]

Whoa...I thought we were just talking about teams, not individuals. When it comes to golf or tennis, absolutely not. I root for the person I like, regardless of country.

Whoa...I thought we were just talking about teams, not individuals.  When it comes to golf or tennis, absolutely not.  I root for the person I like, regardless of country.

14416[/snapback]

I was referring both to teams and individuals that represent our country and also had morphed into whether one roots for any individual that you share something in common with like a shared school, background, etc.

However, like most things on the web there are no hard and fast rules.

I rarely root against the US - unless there is compelling reason to do so. I found it pretty easy in the Basketball not to want the US team to win. I can't even watch the NBA today, despite being at LEAST as big a fan of it growing up as I was the NFL.

I also rooted for the Aussie who lit the torch in Sydney to win, as well as various other athletes in past winter games because they seemed like good people.

Standing Ovation from me for you Mr 1billsfan. Allen Iverson always plays his heart out. off the court he may be a thug, but on the court where we are supposed to be judging him there is no one that plays harder. He is like dennis rodman, on the court he is a friggin mad man, off the court is another story

Alan Iverson plays harder than anybody in the NBA, and he gave his all for the USA basketball team, including giving his summer to represent his country in the Olympics. He did nothing to embarass this country over there. Do you still root for a running back who had sex with a fifteen year old? Get off your stupid high horse and Iversons back you non-patriotic jackass.

14381[/snapback]