Quote by Dareus says it all

how much more important is this game of football in our lives? where would you rank it? is it somwhere less important than curing cancer, but more than working the midnight shift at 7-11? and that's not to discount the person working the midnight shift at 7-11, either.

i get it. you're unhappy with the quote. and yet, from what i saw on tv, Dareus was one of the few players still attempting to run down opponents 10 and 20 yards downfield, which to me is more of a reflection of his attitude than one mere quote. so sure, go ahead and hang him for it.

and i realize all of bills nation is pissed off over this, but this is simply a game that's a mere distraction from our own lives, uplifts fans' spirits when their team wins and provides entertainment. and yet, in the real big picture, it is but a game.

you come off as if you just lost a bet, because you picked the under.

jw

To start, I did not lose a bet. Secondly, it is much more than a game. I don't know how people can't see that, ESPECIALLY players.

I like Dareus actually though. I was very impressed with his tackle so far downfield. The guy was freaking booking it for his size to make that tackle. However, the mentality of "it's just a game" cannot infect the mentality of a football team.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i get it. you're unhappy with the quote. and yet, from what i saw on tv, Dareus was one of the few players still attempting to run down opponents 10 and 20 yards downfield, which to me is more of a reflection of his attitude than one mere quote. so sure, go ahead and hang him for it.

jw

I agree - people need to look at actions rather than take a four word quote as a sign that he doesn't care...

John, since you're a little closer to the team than all of the Internet GMs, just curious if you've heard anything about some strife in the locker room? Have the coaches lost the team? Is Mario a distraction to other players? Is it scheme?

Just seems like we have too much talent on the D to have two of the worst games EVER! I mean, suddenly we're sitting here calling Dareus a bust, saying that Kyle Williams is toast this year, that our young corners are terrible and our LB's the worst in the league.

I don't understand how we can have (at least from my perspective) added talent to the D and still be this bad! Event the national reporters at training camp we're talking about how good we looked - what the heck happened!?

I might have to go back to blaming the Flutie Curse for our woes...

Dareus is the least of this team's problems...the high of your team and community rallying around him has likely worn off and now the reality of a lost brother is setting in...i doubt he cares what we as fans think about his desire

Actually the contrary, Dareus embodies what this teams problem is right now. Plenty of talent and little fire. I understand he's going through some really hard stuff in his life but he's a grown man that gets paid well to handle his business. He's not handling his business and he seems to be okay with that. That's he issue here, if your hearts not in it move on.

Of course "it's just a game." What right-minded person doesn't understand that. But the answer "It's just a game" means different things depending on the question that prompts it.

I'm sorry, but when a defensive player, ANY defensive player, is asked if it's embarrassing after two consecutive weeks of setting records for defensive futility, and I'm talking HISTORICAL stuff here, the answer "It's just a game" just doesn't convey the same level of profundity as it does when given as an answer to a philosophical question about life.

If he had provided more context perhaps it wouldn't seem like such a flippant response. But his answer left a lot to be desired the way it stands as an answer to a football related question about the team's performance.

GO BILLS!!!

Good post.. His job is playing a game.. but it is his job.

and in the grand scheme - its just a job. hes paid to entertain us. not save lives.

priorities get all out of whack sometimes. in the grand scheme it really is JUST a game. and most people go to work and its JUST a job. take pride and do it well, but dont lose sight of what matters. ultimately sunday is a time for me to spend time and connect with friends and family. It should be a fun experience even when its not a great game. i know winning makes it easier to enjoy but we shouldnt lose sight of it.

and count me among those that think he might be referencing it being a singular game, and next week will hopefully be different.

Of course "it's just a game." What right-minded person doesn't understand that. But the answer "It's just a game" means different things depending on the question that prompts it.

I'm sorry, but when a defensive player, ANY defensive player, is asked if it's embarrassing after two consecutive weeks of setting records for defensive futility, and I'm talking HISTORICAL stuff here, the answer "It's just a game" just doesn't convey the same level of profundity as it does when given as an answer to a philosophical question about life.

If he had provided more context perhaps it wouldn't seem like such a flippant response. But his answer left a lot to be desired the way it stands as an answer to a football related question about the team's performance.

GO BILLS!!!

he never struck me as particularly well spoken at bama. i havent seen a lot of his recent speaking. it was likely just giving a stock answer poorly - honestly.

he never struck me as particularly well spoken at bama. i havent seen a lot of his recent speaking. it was likely just giving a stock answer poorly - honestly.

I absolutely agree with this. But the timing for that answer couldn't have been worse given the historically poor defensive performances over the last two.weeks.

It would have been better asked of another defensive player perhaps.

GO BILLS!!!

You tell me. I didn't think that was his best game ever and I consider the competition in that equation as well. But with that said...

Dan, what would that do for your rant/fact paradigm if Brett/Mike/Buster continued to beast out and Marcell responded the way he did?

Just some queries...

I think people are frustrated with the team and defense, entirely justified, after the last 2 games. However, calling out 1 player for 1 comment made immediately in the aftermath of a brutal loss, especially when that player has been one of the bright spots on this team through the first 19 games of his career, is just misplacing that frustration.

Dareus is going through a rough time due to the death of his brother. And, acknowledging that fact following with immediate dismissal of that fact along with the dismissal of all his previous efforts, is just disrespectful and neglectful of reality.

And, yes, it is just a game. It's just a business. The fact that he makes millions means little. I wonder does everyone posting on this board during work hours take their job as serious as they expect some of these players. ..that is to put it above all else in their lives?

To start, I did not lose a bet. Secondly, it is much more than a game. I don't know how people can't see that, ESPECIALLY players.

I like Dareus actually though. I was very impressed with his tackle so far downfield. The guy was freaking booking it for his size to make that tackle. However, the mentality of "it's just a game" cannot infect the mentality of a football team.

well, to be fair, why does someone else have to point out how Dareus hustled, and not you in your first post. isn't hustle infectious, too? isn't that a playing mentality? and didn't he, by making that tackle, impress you?

but evidently, words speak louder than actions, so pardon me if i have difficulty understanding the point that you're attempting to make. he played hard, but he didn't back it up with one comment, and therefore, you've made up your mind that he's soft or something.

so what kind of game are you attempting to play here, because i'm calling a foul.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Actually the contrary, Dareus embodies what this teams problem is right now. Plenty of talent and little fire. I understand he's going through some really hard stuff in his life but he's a grown man that gets paid well to handle his business. He's not handling his business and he seems to be okay with that. That's he issue here, if your hearts not in it move on.

Solid we are on to Dareus bashing now!!! Bashing Fitz and Mario is so yesterday......................get off of his back, life is more than football him more than any other player deserves to say that 2 weeks after a brothers death

Settle down, expect the losses like I do and one day the bills will win. Until then it's gailey and pickspatrick and more losses

Solid we are on to Dareus bashing now!!! Bashing Fitz and Mario is so yesterday......................get off of his back, life is more than football him more than any other player deserves to say that 2 weeks after a brothers death

Settle down, expect the losses like I do and one day the bills will win. Until then it's gailey and pickspatrick and more losses

Really bro, you are approaching crusading levels with the Fitz thing. In fact I haven't seen a post from you that wasn't bashing Fitz. I'm not defending the QB by any means but you should be the last one giving advice on bashing players.

John, since you're a little closer to the team than all of the Internet GMs, just curious if you've heard anything about some strife in the locker room? Have the coaches lost the team? Is Mario a distraction to other players? Is it scheme?

those are all good questions that remain unanswered.

unfortunately i'm not in the speculation business, so it's not for me to make guesses. and if i had real evidence of strife in the locker room, i'd have reported it. ...

jw

Really bro, you are approaching crusading levels with the Fitz thing. In fact I haven't seen a post from you that wasn't bashing Fitz. I'm not defending the QB by any means but you should be the last one giving advice on bashing players.

gonna crusade on your dareus nonsense.........fitz deserves all of the dirt I throw his way (did you watch the game this weekend?) another crappy rag arm/not good enough performance but what else is new........ if you disagree and support fitz then I laugh at you, it is comical how one could take that stance.

fitz was not a #3 pick who produces routinely as Dareus does...........I feel he can say it was just one game who cares? Wannstedt doesn't

crusade = having a take and sticking with it? cool story bro the 1-8 finish last year was a foreshadowing of this year it was easy to see my apologies for pointing out the obvious

Edited by Ryan L Billz

ok, now i'm confused.

you start a thread questioning Marcell Dareus' comments, and when someone else suggests others need to be called out, you question their motives.

and yet, you also agree with said poster by suggesting that you're not defending the quarterback, but at the same time say that you are in fact defending the quarterback because to do anything else would mean agreeing with the poster, who's been bashing the quarterback all along.

so where does that leave us ...

jw

those are all good questions that remain unanswered.

unfortunately i'm not in the speculation business, so it's not for me to make guesses. and if i had real evidence of strife in the locker room, i'd have reported it. ...

jw

How is that evidence manifested? Is it based on direct observation of the locker room environment? Off the record comments? And would reporting it have the potential to undermine your relationships within the team? Has that ever happened?

GO BILLS!!!

ok, now i'm confused.

you start a thread questioning Marcell Dareus' comments, and when someone else suggests others need to be called out, you question their motives.

and yet, you also agree with said poster by suggesting that you're not defending the quarterback, but at the same time say that you are in fact defending the quarterback because to do anything else would mean agreeing with the poster, who's been bashing the quarterback all along.

so where does that leave us ...

jw

I think it's the realization of another year of typical Bills football sinking in. Everyone is ticked off at what their seeing on the field, yet again.

How is that evidence manifested? Is it based on direct observation of the locker room environment? Off the record comments? And would reporting it have the potential to undermine your relationships within the team? Has that ever happened?

GO BILLS!!!

not going there.

jw

I think it's the realization of another year of typical Bills football sinking in. Everyone is ticked off at what their seeing on the field, yet again.

yep. i've seen it many times before. sad, but expected.

jw