Whitner calls out Bills coaching/management.

I honestly can't say after reading his quotes what he thinks the problem is in Buffalo.

Same here.

He is right. He says it's not the players, it's the way the team is being run.

This part is accurate, though.

he also says that the constantly bring in outside players, which is wrong. Guys on the team are getting paid. Kelsay, Jackson, Johnson, Fitz, Kyle Williams. All got paid before we started bringing in outside FAs.

But yeah, I'm not sure the players already on the roster were anything but giddy about the acquisitions of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson. It sounds like it may be sour grapes that he was a player they weren't really interested in retaining--- although it certainly has worked out in his favor.

A quote like this (an opinion he also expressed when he played here und Gailey) brings up a question:

"Only for so long can you hear, 'We have to build the killer instinct' or 'We're not mentally tough.' That should never leave the meeting room. You're questioning your own team's mental toughness in the media? That's not right."

Is this true? Is it demoralizing for a team? It sounds like the type of things coaches say all the time, but maybe it is something that should not be made public.

Same here.

This part is accurate, though.

But yeah, I'm not sure the players already on the roster were anything but giddy about the acquisitions of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson. It sounds like it may be sour grapes that he was a player they weren't really interested in retaining--- although it certainly has worked out in his favor.

A quote like this (an opinion he also expressed when he played here und Gailey) brings up a question:

"Only for so long can you hear, 'We have to build the killer instinct' or 'We're not mentally tough.' That should never leave the meeting room. You're questioning your own team's mental toughness in the media? That's not right."

Is this true? Is it demoralizing for a team? It sounds like the type of things coaches say all the time, but maybe it is something that should not be made public.

Whitner has an axe to grind with Gailey, and thus should be taken with a grain of salt on all matters regarding the team. He also thought he was worth millions, and while he is probably worth more than Ko Simpson, he had a highly inflated value of himself that the team didn't share. Both moved on.

I think Gailey has plenty of issues, but if this team was mentally tough enough this wouldn't be coming up. I will, however, buy the fact that the criticism isn't really going to get a lot of great response out of players. You need to figure out a way to make them feel tough and empowered on the football field. Gailey is definitely not doing that right now.

What does need to be figured out is how to harness their very best. SF has obviously done so to the point that a guy like Whitner who is average can fit in and generally play well.

The thing that bothers me about the defense is when it appears that the players are confused. When they get pushed off the line, or otherwise beaten physically, it's troubling. But when they just blow coverage or misplay a runner, it feels like they don't know what to do. When A. Williams bit on the move, and circled around the opposite direction that the WR made his move, it was ridiculous. He ended up 10 yards away from the receiver.

What I find troubling is the lack of fire this team seems to play with. Whether that is coaching, players, I don't know...but you would think after the absolute man-handling they took from New England last week, they would show up today, at least, ready to play...they looked zombified from the opening kick off.

Funny thing is, I was never one of those who was sure we had a playoff contending team on our hands this year. In fact, doing my own personal W-L predictions for this team, before the season, I had them at exactly 2-3 after five weeks...even predicted the games they would win and lose...I never, however, imagined they would play as poorly as they have in these games. Most probably would have predicted a loss for the Bills in San Franciso, but I was under some illusion that this team would give them a fight...maye lose 24-17, or something along those lines.

I also felt the defense would take a little time to gel...but never envisioned franchise historical lows in the first 5 weeks of the season...just miserable all the way around.

Edited by Buftex

Well I dont know why we're even discussing if Whitner is right or wrong... All I know is this is F'ing locker room material... A REAL team would put this up in the locker room and finally start watching and reading some of the stuff the media has to say and use is as bait to go out and put a F'ing decent game together... Yeah it may be the system and all this other BS, but I saw Sheppard scared to make a tackle out there... That dude gotta go... Bradham looks like he loves contact... We should put Nigel in Shep's place and maybe sit Mario down for a game... Yeah we're paying him and all that but he needs to know that u gotta EARN your f'ing spot on a team... Plus isn't he supposedly hurt? We'll use his injury as an excuse to the media on why he's sitting but him and the coaches will know the REAL reason why he got benched... Maybe someone else'll step up IDK...

I really thought this was the year man... After the last two games I want Jauron back... That right there makes me sick to my stomach man... We need an emotional leader on the field and these players gotta stop smiling after they get a first down... Smile when you get a W when the clock is at 0... I'm not saying don't have fun but damn man can u at least LOOK like you wanna win?

Let me not even start with Fitz man... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh F---------K... What loser of a team we like man...

My hat goes off to McKelvin... The only baller of the day... Oh and Bradham and Brad Smith also...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Whitner is simply incapable of conducting an interview without pointing the finger at somebody for something. It's just who he is.

This time, Whitner calls out the Bills coach and management, but in my opinion Gailey has been very gentle, to the point of being OVERLY gentle with his comments about the players. To the point of enabling bad performances. Look at what Gailey has said about Mario's play - "he's playing as hard as he can, he's being double teamed" etc. And Gailey always deflects media criticism directed at a specific player by saying "I can coach better". I think this reflects either a high level of humility or a lack of confidence, but either way on a losing team it projects weakness - certainly not the type of coaching personna that a player would run through a wall for. Today's analysis by Gailey that the players are "hurting" is looking really, really soft.

Gailey likes to say football is a tough game for tough people, but when you have Gailey saying "I can coach better" and Wannstedt saying "I was up all night wondering if we should have run our base 4-3", it's no wonder the players have no belief. This is stinking from the top down.