The difference between Jim Harbaugh and Chan Gailey

HOUSE

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are many...

Harbaugh was coaching Stanford, in the Bay area....where the 49ers call it home....

It is 70 degree weather in SF through the year....6 months of winter in Buffalo

The 49ers were a slightly better team than the Bills in terms of talent (Not much difference though)

Uncertainty with the Bills ownership....Say whatever you want....Coaches never feel comfortable, if there is going to be a change of guard in ownership in the middle of their coaching term.

The 49ers probably also offered him more money and control than the Bills.

Agree...In all those years before the arrival of Harbaugh, the 49ers and Bills were picking almost at the same spots in the draft and had similar records...

After Harbaugh's arrival, they are winning with great defense and good special teams...Their offense just gets by. The closest we got to a similar coach was when we had Mike Mularkey and that was the only time we had a winning record (9-7).

Ever been to San Francisco in the summer time?

How did SF go 6-10 in that weak division in 2010 if they had all this talent?

How many players from the singletary era are starters today on the niners vs the numbers of bills starters from the jauron era? I believe it's something like a 2 to 1 ratio? singletary was not a good head coach. That's why the niners underachieved. Almost the same thing can be said about the chargers. Their considerable talent is wasted by the nov turner regime.

One is young, energetic, firey, and is a rising star who wins a lot of football games because his team is prepared and failure is not an option

The other is old, goofy, tired, and loses 2/3 of the games he coaches because his team is not prepared to defeat quality opponents on any sort of consistent basis. As soon as the 5-10 yard crossing routes that WR turn into 40 yard TD runs dry up, this team has no chance to win.

"Explosive" is great but it is almost never sustainable unless you have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Methodical, physical, and consistent is what you can count on. That isn't the Bills.

Edited by TheFunPolice

We shoulda spent 100 million on Jim Harbaugh....not on the grossly overrated Mario.

I said this weeks ago, but I was called insane and other choice words.

Would the 49ers be 16-4 if they played the Patriots and Jets twice a year? In the words of Gorilla Monsoon "Highly Unlikely"

ok 15 - 5, did you see the jets get decimated by the 9rs last week?

I call bullsh*t! Not on the fact that you talked to Joe Theismann (you have my sympathies for having to endure that) but on what he had to say regarding Fitz and Gailey.

I can believe there isn't unanimous buy-in by the team on Gailey's game plans or Fitz's ability certainly, but I've heard from the players themselves how well-liked and respected both men are on and off the field by everyone in that locker room.

Theismann (rhymes with HEES-man) can shove it.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd like to disagree with him but I can't. And it's not B.S. because I had this conversation with him for 5 out of 30 minutes - the rest we did not discuss football. He says the organization is terrible from the top down and has no leaders. He said football is a testosterone sport and the Bills have Beta personalities running the progam, not Alphas.

To your point about the locker room, I know a ton of people that are liked and well-respected but it still doesn't mean they are leaders. Dick Jauron is one of these guys - so is Chan and Fitz.

I'd like to disagree with him but I can't. And it's not B.S. because I had this conversation with him for 5 out of 30 minutes - the rest we did not discuss football. He says the organization is terrible from the top down and has no leaders. He said football is a testosterone sport and the Bills have Beta personalities running the progam, not Alphas.

To your point about the locker room, I know a ton of people that are liked and well-respected but it still doesn't mean they are leaders. Dick Jauron is one of these guys - so is Chan and Fitz.

If we're understanding that Theismann's take on the Bills is a summation of what he's seen over the past 40 years, it's hard to disagree.

I think he's correct regarding the Beta personalities, and as we know, it has always started at the top with Ralph.

I don't believe he was speaking specifically about the current Bills, but he would have no reason to believe anything has changed, and if you look at Chan and Fitz, he seems correct. The only time we have had a bunch of Alpha males in this organization was when we had Polian, Kelly, Smith, Talley, etc.

As much as I absolutely hate to hear it from that d-bag, I cant disagree with his historical assessment of this franchise.

That being said, I think/hope that Whaley is the type of guy that can inject some Alphas into the organization. It's also why I'd love to see us land a coach like Gruden. Yeah, he's kinda a prick, but he hates to lose and has a fire for winning. Unfortunately, there is no way we can land a coach like that with our current owner situation and lack of franchise stability. Oh, the plight of being a Bills fan....

To be fair to Gailey, this is not quite an apples to apples comparison. Harbaugh inherited a very good team in terms of talent. San Fran already had a good defense and a solid running game. When Gailey came on board, what did we have?

Multiple years of poor draft picks.. Still to be destroyed by two conference teams is hardly an endorsement of Gailey's skill.

To be fair to Gailey, this is not quite an apples to apples comparison. Harbaugh inherited a very good team in terms of talent. San Fran already had a good defense and a solid running game. When Gailey came on board, what did we have?

Sorry but this is complete BS. Just because you have talent doesn't mean any coach can just waltz in and dominate the field. Coaching isn't just X's and O's but it's 90% people skills. Just because you have great talent doesn't always equal success. All the greatest coaches now and in NFL history not only knew their X's and O's but they knew how to control their players. Harbaugh knew how to do it whereas Singletary didn't. Chan may be good with his X's and O's but he has NO PEOPLE skills what so ever and doesn't have control of his team. No discipline. None. He says this team lacks mental toughness, because our coach lacks mental toughness.

I think the Packers are a great example of this and why I think McCarthy is one of the best coaches in the league. I honestly don't think they have great talent on their team. Jennings, Rodgers, Clay Matthews and a few others on defense. I think Nelson is overrated, they have no running game and their defense is average, but McCarthy's able to take this team beyond their capabilities and makes that team a winner every year.

True story.

Excellent point. Believe it or not, I was able to spend 30 minutes with Joe Theisman one-on-one two weeks ago and he said the Bills were the worst franchise in the league, hands down. He says there is no leadership from the two most important positions - QB and Head coach. He said until something changes there, the team will be terrible.

Your point on confidence/cockiness is crutial. These positions need to be leaders.

It's cool that you talked to Theisman and all, but I don't consider him any kind of NFL insider who's capable of determining "worst franchise rankings". And how does he have the inside scoop on the leadership abilities of the QB and coach? Does he even know the names of our QB and HC?

It's cool that you talked to Theisman and all, but I don't consider him any kind of NFL insider who's capable of determining "worst franchise rankings". And how does he have the inside scoop on the leadership abilities of the QB and coach? Does he even know the names of our QB and HC?

I hate Theismann and think he is a loud mouth, but...

If a guy who has been involved in the NFL for the past 40 years as Super Bowl winning Hall of Fame QB, and TV Analyst cant be considered an "NFL Insider", then who can? I dont believe he has excellent insight on every team or their players, but I think he can provide an interesting opinion from someone who is directly tied to the NFL. It's at least a bit more interesting than hearing what us outsiders guess at. Get a little perspective on the team since we all tend to get a little too deep.

Pretty simple actually... Harbaugh brough Vic Fangio in with him... Chan brought George Edwards.

I had high hopes for Wanny headed into the season. Let's see if he can turn this thing around after crapping the bed in 2 of four games. The Niners offense is really not THAT great. If the defense can stop Frank Gore, they actually have a pretty good shot.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Sorry but this is complete BS. Just because you have talent doesn't mean any coach can just waltz in and dominate the field. Coaching isn't just X's and O's but it's 90% people skills. Just because you have great talent doesn't always equal success. All the greatest coaches now and in NFL history not only knew their X's and O's but they knew how to control their players. Harbaugh knew how to do it whereas Singletary didn't. Chan may be good with his X's and O's but he has NO PEOPLE skills what so ever and doesn't have control of his team. No discipline. None. He says this team lacks mental toughness, because our coach lacks mental toughness.

I think the Packers are a great example of this and why I think McCarthy is one of the best coaches in the league. I honestly don't think they have great talent on their team. Jennings, Rodgers, Clay Matthews and a few others on defense. I think Nelson is overrated, they have no running game and their defense is average, but McCarthy's able to take this team beyond their capabilities and makes that team a winner every year.

True story.

Where did I ever say that Gailey was a good coach or had good people skills lol? My point is that comparing the results on the Niners vs Bill in terms of Win-Loss record is a faulty analysis. The Niners and Bills were not equal teams when the new coaching regimes took over.

As for your McCarthy worship... If we took away Rodgers and put in Brian Brohm, would we still get the same magical results becaus of McCarthy's godlike coaching abilities? I don't think so.

Before they hired Chan Gailey in 2010, the Buffalo Bills reportedly offered their head coaching job to Jim Harbaugh. Gailey is 12-24 in two-plus seasons with Buffalo. Harbaugh is 16-4 with San Francisco.

That's the difference between these two coaches: one is a good coach; the other has been a great head coach. Where Harbaugh's team plays like it's hell-bent on being the most dominant group in the game, Gailey's projects the image of a team taking its time and picking its spots in trying to get where it wants to be. Where Gailey apparently has to instill mental toughness in his players, Harbaugh's get theirs seemingly by osmosis. Harbaugh coaches with confidence and attitude; Gailey's style in Buffalo has been more along the lines of constantly having a trick up his sleeve. Gailey's team can exploit a weakness; Harbaugh's can dominate a strength. Snip>

http://www.buffaloru...augh-comparison

To me the difference is i hate one of them and I still like another one.

I cant get past the handshake. Sorry.

What a jerk that Jim is.

For other technical reasons, please read pages 1-3

To me the difference is i hate one of them and I still like another one.

I cant get past the handshake. Sorry.

What a jerk that Jim is.

For other technical reasons, please read pages 1-3

And that is unfortunately the exact attitude that keeps this team as a perennial 7-9 powerhouse.

The NFL is a QB driven league and while I love Fitz, he is not good enough. Look at the last 10 years, how many QBs not named Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl. If Chan had one of those 3 guys at QB he would be considered a good coach because the Bills would win several more games a year.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

Agreed he doesn't know the inside of the Bills locker room. But for what it's worth his football resume is better than anyone on this board. He was also a broadcaster for 30+ years. He played the QB position at a very high level, so I'm going to take his opinion on the QB position and football with a good amount of respect. He told me when he used to prep for a broadcast he would watch 40-50 hours of film per week to get ready for the game. He still stays involved in the sport.

Also for what it's worth he said RGIII will be the best QB in the league and the Redskins had him interview RGIII and watch tape.