Did the Pats double team Mario?

jonramz

I looked at every play on all-22 and took notes.

Ughhhh I copied and pasted my table in here and it looked good, but then I submitted the post and the formatting went away.

You can see it here as well http://yardsperpass.com/?p=127

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

@yardsperpass

Edited by jonramz

His post was the exact reason why I looked at it.

I watched the game and knew it was more than what he said.

I labeled it by pass attempt so anyone interested can go back and double check my numbers

Edited by jonramz

His post was the exact reason why I looked at it.

I watched the game and knew it was more than what he said.

I labeled it by pass attempt so anyone interested can go back and double check my numbers

this matches the feelings i had from the PFF article last week too (though it didnt feel as far out of line).... is there a difference in how those are professionally qualified vs how we as a fan would qualify them?

this matches the feelings i had from the PFF article last week too (though it didnt feel as far out of line).... is there a difference in how those are professionally qualified vs how we as a fan would qualify them?

Those PFF guys aren't any more professional than you or I. If 2 guys block a guy, then it's a double team. Dissecting coverages can be difficult, but seeing if a guy is double teamed is easy.

We will never completely know what the exact assignments are, but you can tell if there is a double or chip, etc. Which is why I had some notes to help explain things

-Jon

Yours would be every bit as professionally qualified as that of Joe Buscaglia or anyone at PFF.

Buscaglia seems to miss the boat on his critique of MW's run defense. He suggests that MW didn't do a very good job when in fact he played his position as technically sound as you can hope for as a DE in Wanny's 4 man front.

And he conveniently ignores the times MW chucked Gronk and prevented free releases off the LOS and BEFORE he could get into his pass rush. I noticed that on several occasions in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Yours would be every bit as professionally qualified as that of Joe Buscaglia or anyone at PFF.

Buscaglia seems to miss the boat on his critique of MW's run defense. He suggests that MW didn't do a very good job when in fact he played his position as technically sound as you can hope for as a DE in Wanny's 4 man front.

And he conveniently ignores the times MW chucked Gronk and prevented free releases off the LOS and BEFORE he could get into his pass rush. I noticed that on several occasions in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree on this as well... Mario's run defense has been very good. He rarely loses the edge and does a good job standing his ground

GO BILLS!!!

thats what my gut is telling me but the doom and gloom crowd coupled with a couple of "expert" opinions had me questioning a bit.

i suspect that in an effort to stay sound in his assignments hes relying on the bullrush - which with a bum wrist isnt allowing him to make highlight plays. i think once he gets healthy, gets comfortable etc... and you see a little more freelancing because he trusts the DT beside him and knows what the LB behind him are going to do.... we will see more stat line impact.

Ughhhh I copied and pasted my table in here and it looked good, but then I submitted the post and the formatting went away.

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

@yardsperpass

Thanks. I have been meaning to look at the coaches film as well, but have not had the chance yet.

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

@yardsperpass

Very nice job.

We only blitzed Brady once??? Stupid Wannasteady

Very nice job.

We only blitzed Brady once??? Stupid Wannasteady

you dont blitz brady...that gets you smoked early and often, you get to brady through your regular four or five man pass rush (use stunts and you HAVE to beat your one on ones)

wanny is stupid, but not bc of lack of blitz, its because we played in the nickel the whole game and REACTED rather than ACTED

you dont blitz brady...that gets you smoked early and often, you get to brady through your regular four or five man pass rush (use stunts and you HAVE to beat your one on ones)

wanny is stupid, but not bc of lack of blitz, its because we played in the nickel the whole game and REACTED rather than ACTED

I disagree, they tried your strategy and the front 4 got absolutely locked down. If it isn't working you need to get pressure some how and that would be with the blitz. The Ravens just did it and had some success and eventually ended up winning.

Unless the O line is inept, 4 down lineman are not going to get consistent enough pressure to beat Brady unless you have the personnel that the Giants have. Even they throw in a blitz here and there.

Either way he was way too comfortable and has been for over a decade vs the Bills.

Did you count a chip by a RB or a TE as a double team? Those shouldn't be counted. If at the snap he is blocked by one guy, but then say the RG has no one coming in his gap and he just decides to help the RT, thats not really a double team either - because it wasn't planned. The other team intended to block him 1v1.

That's just flat out wrong because when he wasn't in nickel, he was in dime. So Wanny is even dumber than we thought. Twice as dumb based on the relative coin values of a nickel and a dime.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree, they tried your strategy and the front 4 got absolutely locked down. If it isn't working you need to get pressure some how and that would be with the blitz. The Ravens just did it and had some success and eventually ended up winning.

Unless the O line is inept, 4 down lineman are not going to get consistent enough pressure to beat Brady unless you have the personnel that the Giants have. Even they throw in a blitz here and there.

Either way he was way too comfortable and has been for over a decade vs the Bills.

From the offensive standpoint, that is correct. It's not a designed double team.

From the defensive standpoint, It's most certainly a double team whenever a lineman has to defeat more than 1 blocker. That's why I love delayed blitzes when the MLB reads that guard swinging out and shoots the gap. Nice when they work.

Most DE's and pass rushing OLBs are rarely blocked with designed double teams pre-snap. Most DTs are though and frequently. Gotta protect middle first against the pass rush. That old "shortest distance between two points" axiom.

GO BILLS!!!

Depends on how many you are blitzing with. If you blitz 8, ya Brady will kill you. But blitzing 5 shouldn't screw you over, and should be tried more often if you fail to get pressure