Chan is fine with Dave

bobinaz

The coaching was terrible and Wanny and Gailey both came out from halftime oblivious to the possibility that Belichik might make adjustments. It took them 45 points to figure that out. Did the team play poorly? yes..and the coaches have to have them ready to play with some aggression. Did Belichick make adjustments? Yup...and the Buffalo coaches should have countered them. Do the players have talent? I think so as they managed to lead the pats by almost three touchdowns at one point.

The coaching failure in this game cannot be explained away or minimized. I would expect Gailey and DW to learn from it and show us some real coaching next game. Nine wins, Chan...nine wins.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pure conjecture on my part, but I have a suspicion that Gailey may not be Wanny's biggest fan and I'm still not convinced it was his choice to elevate Wanny to DC.

If Gailey had his druthers, I'm betting that he would have stuck it out with George EdwardsBob Sanders and continued the 3-4 "experiment" He was staunchly defending Edwards Sanders last year, but as usual after an awful season at OBD, a sacrificial lamb needs to be fed to the owner. George Edwards Bob Sanders was that guy. But I'm not convinced that Gailey would have gone with Wanny if given the choice. But good luck paying Wanny, Edwards Sanders and another DC for 2012. So it's very likely Gailey accepted his new defensive coordinator by default.

But what troubles me most about Gailey's management style is that he does not take charge of ineffective assistant coaches. We have evidence of special teams mismanagement, and now complete defensive embarrassments in two key divisional games. It reminds me of Levy when he gave assistants full autonomy, even when performance was lacking. Can you imagine Parcells or Belichick allowing the defensive coordinator to call the same plays over and over, even though the opponent was gashing him for 15 yards a pop on consecutive identical plays?

The claim that Gailey doesn't know anything about defense is laughable. The guy has been an NFL and Div I head coach. He knows defense. But it's obvious that he needs to assert more control over his assistants who aren't performing.

Didn't Gailey report to wannabe before? He's just returning the favor in B-Lo. No way did he NOT want that former NFL unemployed DC on his team to coach. It was Gailey's pick. Just like some of the crap players he has on the roster. Thigpen for one comes to mind.

Chan has staked his job on Fitz and Wanny.

It will be his last HC job.

This is the very same HC who allowed George Edwards 2 years to prove how inept he was when most of us knew it his first year. Wannsache is Gailey's good buddy so of course he will back him 100%.

Its more then obvious to me that Gailey is as clueless about the defense as was Jauron about the offense.

I just wonder if RW / Nix allow Gailey to finish the season. Looking at how badly the Bills lost to the Jets / Patriots, and how badly the team needs a franchise QB. I'd say the firing should happen the sooner the better.

As for the lack of production from the D line, its all coaching IMO. Where is the stunting, the blitzing? If running a base 4-3 is all your going to do and its not working then you need to get them some help somehow. It looked like Wannstache simply took a nap in the 2nd half of that Patriot game and just kept running a nickel package

so you are sure its not the players? They were not staying disciplined and holding gaps once the patriots awoke from nap. They maybe freaked out again and lost composure. And forcing situations.

There was some baffling coaching or lack of, but when the Pats started outcoaching the second half and staff stumbled.. did the players do a wtf, this isnt working!!

This could be part of a bigger issue with the current coaching/coaches ie Dave and Chan

Chan is not fine with Wanny after the debacle on Sunday. Doesn't mean he'll fire him (he shouldn't, at least right now) but I don't imagine there would be a lot of pleasantries watching the tape of that game.

Wanny played scared. And his plan not only got us run on at will, it did NOTHING to stop Brady and their passing game. Nothing at all.

My feeling is, you go with Shepp/Moats on early downs. When Brady takes advantage by going to a hurry up and preventing your sub package, then you send him on a blitz and knock Brady on his ass. At least make him earn the privilege of beating you with the pass.

GO BILLS!!!

I certainly was not crazy about the way Wanny called that game...But when you have about $200 million getting routinely whipped on every down when the one thing you are assuming is that those guys will beat their man...It's tough...Mario, Marcel, KW, Kelsay, and Anderson should all give refunds for that performance...Not only did they get blocked, they got blocked exactly the way the pats wrote it up...Those running plays were in perfect rhythm...They were getting blocked at the point and staying blocked...No disruption, no one making a difference...It was a pathetic performance by a bunch of guys who are supposed to be good...

Dareus is not playing up to being the #3 Draft Pick (Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, or Julio Jones anyone? Anyone?)...This is a kid I love, a kid who was thought to be the Top Prospect in the entire 2011 Draft by a ton of Scouts...But anyone (including me) that thinks Dareus is living up to that #3 overall pick so far, especially in that Draft, is nuts...He's not disrupting much of anything...And he's a DT...We should be seeing the dominance by now...Mario? Well...I know no one will believe me...But back when we signed him, I heard Buddy say that Mario wanted to come to a Team that played a 4-3, and would leave him at LDE, I knew that was weird...You're not going to take your best Pass Rusher and move him around? At least a bit? Whatever...KW is awesome, he just had a bad Game, but like they said on the radio today, KW has been in the middle of a LOT of games just like that one...Anderson? I don't know...Looks OK at times and out of control others...Kelsay? Nevermind...

Wanny needs these guys to play up to the hype or he's well...You know the word...You don't look for smoke and mirrors when you supposedly have one of the best D-Lines in the NFL...You're expecting them...hell you should be demanding that they create havoc...And that is simply not happening... B-)

Hooray for a voice of reason. The excuses for these players is a joke.

Changing the coordinator during the middle of the season is completely pointless. Like it or not, the team doesn't freak out like fans do after every game. They see they are 2-2 and need to continue to grow. You don't blow up a team after 4 games. Wanny may have have been the wrong hire but it's beyond stupid to bail on him at this point.

Changing the coordinator during the middle of the season is completely pointless. Like it or not, the team doesn't freak out like fans do after every game. They see they are 2-2 and need to continue to grow. You don't blow up a team after 4 games. Wanny may have have been the wrong hire but it's beyond stupid to bail on him at this point.

I agree but not for the reasons you cite. Nix won't fire anyone mid-season because he knows it will make it all the more difficult to attract quality coaches to Buffalo. He's not wrong about that.

Look, there is no way Chan fires his second DC after completely (and predictably) whiffing on his first one.

And maybe it is the players. Does anyone in Houston miss this guy? Does anyone in the NFL not think that team's D didn't get better in the 2 seasons (essentially) he's been gone? Buddy has stacked his draft picks and FAs in this defense and what has he to show for it? Wins against the Browns and the Chiefs. And 2 blowouts against the AFCE.

The talk that went on here about how "Wanny" was going to be drooling over all the ways he was going to attack with Kyle and Dareus and Mario and....Merriman (F-ing Merriman!).

Edited by Mr. WEO

Hooray for a voice of reason. The excuses for these players is a joke.

Yea, Kyle Williams a pro bowl DT, and a force in the middle is a bum, and so is the 100 million dollar DE. #3 overall Marcel Darius was a wasted pick. DE Mark Anderson who got 12 sacks last year now over the hill.

The DC called a brilliant game and the players just didn't respond at all against a banged up NE O line.

Yea, Kyle Williams a pro bowl DT, and a force in the middle is a bum, and so is the 100 million dollar DE. #3 overall Marcel Darius was a wasted pick. DE Mark Anderson who got 12 sacks last year now over the hill.

The DC called a brilliant game and the players just didn't respond at all against a banged up NE O line.

Exactly. Wanny could have been a little more creative in moving Mario around but people need to cut the crap. This d line is supposed to be the best in the league. It's on them and they be embarrassed and want to rip some heads off this week.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Exactly. Wanny could have been a little more creative in moving Mario around but people need to cut the crap. This d line is supposed to be the best in the league. It's on them and they be embarrassed and want to rip some heads off this week.

Yeah because clearly the players were not motivated to secure first place in the AFC East with a big win over our most hated divisional rival.

Stupid players and their lack of motivation.

Yeah because clearly the players were not motivated to secure first place in the AFC East with a big win over our most hated divisional rival.

Stupid players and their lack of motivation.

Not your best post. You really are giving the players a pass? I"m so sick of the blame the coach mentality? Was Wanny perfect? Heck no. But is it too much to ask for top 5 picks like Mario and Dareus to man up and beat the guy in front of them? If I paid a guy $100 million, I don't wanna hear about schemes. Make some effing plays.

And I'm not giving up on Mario after 4 games. But I will say his lack of fire is a bit troublesome.

So keep blaming the coaches for the short comings of the players. I put this loss squarely on a defense that didn't make plays in the second half and got beat physically by a normally finesse team.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Was Gailey questioned about why the defense stayed with their nickel package?

It kinda reminded me of SB 25 where the Giants had like a 2 man d line and dared us to run. NE was smart enough to run and we tried to pass even though Thurman was having the game of his life. So dumb.

It kinda reminded me of SB 25 where the Giants had like a 2 man d line and dared us to run. NE was smart enough to run and we tried to pass even though Thurman was having the game of his life. So dumb.

Seriously, I haven't heard his radio show. Did anyone ask him why they stuck with that defense?

I certainly was not crazy about the way Wanny called that game...But when you have about $200 million getting routinely whipped on every down when the one thing you are assuming is that those guys will beat their man...It's tough...Mario, Marcel, KW, Kelsay, and Anderson should all give refunds for that performance...Not only did they get blocked, they got blocked exactly the way the pats wrote it up...Those running plays were in perfect rhythm...They were getting blocked at the point and staying blocked...No disruption, no one making a difference...It was a pathetic performance by a bunch of guys who are supposed to be good...

Dareus is not playing up to being the #3 Draft Pick (Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, or Julio Jones anyone? Anyone?)...This is a kid I love, a kid who was thought to be the Top Prospect in the entire 2011 Draft by a ton of Scouts...But anyone (including me) that thinks Dareus is living up to that #3 overall pick so far, especially in that Draft, is nuts...He's not disrupting much of anything...And he's a DT...We should be seeing the dominance by now...Mario? Well...I know no one will believe me...But back when we signed him, I heard Buddy say that Mario wanted to come to a Team that played a 4-3, and would leave him at LDE, I knew that was weird...You're not going to take your best Pass Rusher and move him around? At least a bit? Whatever...KW is awesome, he just had a bad Game, but like they said on the radio today, KW has been in the middle of a LOT of games just like that one...Anderson? I don't know...Looks OK at times and out of control others...Kelsay? Nevermind...

Wanny needs these guys to play up to the hype or he's well...You know the word...You don't look for smoke and mirrors when you supposedly have one of the best D-Lines in the NFL...You're expecting them...hell you should be demanding that they create havoc...And that is simply not happening... B-)

Kelsay may not have all-world talent, but at least he plays all out when he's on the field -