Wannstedt needs to be fired

FireChan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting...the "nothing to lose" mentality borders on desperation though, and I'm not sure I'm there YET (see below).

The Patriots* scored 45 points in 23 minutes.

We didn't get kicked around for the 37 minutes prior. Something happened, and happened big time. There were fumbles, there were picks, but we did NOT get beat up and down the field, in fact, for MOST of the game, we were doing the ass-kicking.

If it had been a jailbreak for the word 'go,' then something would have to give, but at the very least they demonstrated the ability to get up and stay up on the Patriots.* I'm not exactly sure how, when or why the wheels officially came off, but the game was more akin to the lead car bursting into flames five laps before the finish then an old-fashioned beat-down.

All that happened is the Pats offense stopped making critical mistakes (Gronks drops, 2 missed FG's) in the 2nd half. Either that or they woke up at halftime and realized that they were in a football game.

Great point. Carry on, I've got some extra tinfoil if y'all need it.

The trajectory on a thread like this is classic.

Monday: Fire Wanny immediately

Tuesday: Bill Cowher could be the answer

Wednesday: Okay, not Cowher, but Bob Sanders may be the answer (get Cowher as HC in the off-season)

Thursday: Prepare mock drafts

Friday-Saturday: "We have no chance against San Fran...I am not watching.... I hate this team, etc."

Sunday: Win at San Fran (and then a week of the same people saying the exact opposite things)

As best as I can figure it out, this was Wanny's scheme today:

1) Go to nickel/dime to slow down Pats pass defense offense.

2) Use front 4 only to generate pass rush and stop the run.

3) CB's play man, with safety help over the top.

4) Don't change the scheme--ever--even if the Pats* change their scheme, or if said scheme is blowing up in our faces.

5) If in doubt, refer to Rule 4.

i agree. It is time for

Wannstedt to GO !

NOW!!

Anyone can run the base defenses he runs. This needs to be a message to the players. Your coach is gone, and you are next if you won't even bother trying. It was a total lack of effort and intensity by the defensive players that was most upsetting today. If they can't motivate themselves, we need to get someone who can push them HARD to force them to do their jobs. They deserve daily sprint punishment for a couple of days to remind them that they are paid for performance, not just to show up on game day. We need a harda** coach that does not allow laziness, and can adapt to the flow of the game. Any assistant defensive coach can do as good a job as Wanny has. Our defense needs to take chances the next two games to even have a chance to just appear competitive with the level of competition we are facing.

Cant completly hate on Wanny. Our front 4 where handled by an injured less talented Oline and our offense continually turned the ball over deep in our own territory against a team that contiually puts up 30+ points a game.

I can.

You rush four against a jumbo package with a TE the size of an offensive tackle you are begging to get run over.

It is Wanny's job to adjust during a game, or at least plan for the 2-TE set that NE has been running most of the year. What the hell film was he watching?

You go up against that with a 4 man front and they are going to get swallowed up every time. They have 7 blockers to your 4 rushers, how the heck are they supposed to get off their blocks when the other team can double the middle and end and still have guys free to block the smurfs at the next level.

Dumb and dumber. NE was not being tricky when they went jumbo, they basically advertised we are going to run the ball. Should've countered the run with a 5-man front (not an extra linebacker, but someone like Kelsay/Carrington inside of Anderson) and doubled Gronk.

The players have bought into Wanny's system.

You know this how? Have they told you they believe it's a wonderful system or is it simply a matter of them going with the program, no matter how bad it may be. Players do what there told to do whether they like it or not. If they decide to go off and free lance because they don't believe in it, the consequences for them will frequently be the bench. So you follow the coach's lead. That doesn't mean you agree with the program. And after yesterday, no one should agree with Wannstadt's.

The trajectory on a thread like this is classic.

Monday: Fire Wanny immediately

Tuesday: Bill Cowher could be the answer

Wednesday: Okay, not Cowher, but Bob Sanders may be the answer (get Cowher as HC in the off-season)

Thursday: Prepare mock drafts

Friday-Saturday: "We have no chance against San Fran...I am not watching.... I hate this team, etc."

Sunday: Win at San Fran (and then a week of the same people saying the exact opposite things)

If Wannstedt changes and adjusts the D according to what we see from San Fran, and they don't put up 40 points, even if we lost, I would change my mind. To say Wannstedt wasn't embarassed by Belichick and Rex, is ridiculous.

Like I posted in another thread. The Stache DOES NOT deserve to be fired. After the first half of the Patriots game, you probably said to yourself, wow, we only held the Pats to 7 points. And we forced a few three and outs. The Pats made the adjustments at half time and we didn't and that's what it comes down to.

Did he do a poor job on the whole? No question about it. But he does not need to be fired after 4 games???? That's just over reacting.

If the front 4 doesn't get pressure then you see the results of what happens.

Why isn't Mario Williams being lambasted? I was never big on that signing. And he has been the most quiet DL of the Bills starting four.

Also why isn't the players being blamed. The blown communication, the poor coverage. Do not lay it all at the doorstep of the stache. Not based on on half of football against the best QB our Bills have faced during the 2000s.

I disagree with your entire post. The DC is both the motivator and the strategist. I've never played professional football but every business I've ever seen is dependent upon its managers for success. Your argument about holding the players accountable is like saying that the french fry maker at McDonalds was the reason for your lousy service. The players battled hard until they became demoralized by the slowly unfolding realization that their boss was not going to do anything to help them succeed. They were slowly getting beaten to a pulp while their manager sat on his hands and watched dumbfounded.

Lol

Remember when everyone was blaming George Edwards for being the reason why the defence sucked (and the co-ordinator before him, and the one before him, and the one before him, etc) and Were BEGGING the Bills to let "The 'Stache" take over because it was the co-ordinators fault the defence sucks.

Well, the honeymoons over I guess and it took 4 games to break out the torches to run "The 'Stache" out of town...............

Well you laughed and opined … but you never actually made a point (assuming you have one).

Is your point that we've had a succession of bad DCs or that all these DCs have been doomed by having to coach talentless teams?

We didn't get kicked around for the 37 minutes prior. Something happened, and happened big time. There were fumbles, there were picks, but we did NOT get beat up and down the field, in fact, for MOST of the game, we were doing the ass-kicking.

If it had been a jailbreak for the word 'go,' then something would have to give, but at the very least they demonstrated the ability to get up and stay up on the Patriots.* I'm not exactly sure how, when or why the wheels officially came off, but the game was more akin to the lead car bursting into flames five laps before the finish then an old-fashioned beat-down.

I have to disagree with you Cat. The Bills hung in there for awhile… like a fighter who still has some fight left. But they were absorbing a lot of body blows before they were finally knocked "out on their feet" and those players that might have had some fight left were undoubtedly demoralized by their cornerman yelling "watch his left hand!" while they were repeatedly getting hit with the right hand.

i agree. It is time for

Wannstedt to GO !

NOW!!

Anyone can run the base defenses he runs. This needs to be a message to the players. Your coach is gone, and you are next if you won't even bother trying. It was a total lack of effort and intensity by the defensive players that was most upsetting today. If they can't motivate themselves, we need to get someone who can push them HARD to force them to do their jobs. They deserve daily sprint punishment for a couple of days to remind them that they are paid for performance, not just to show up on game day. We need a harda** coach that does not allow laziness, and can adapt to the flow of the game. Any assistant defensive coach can do as good a job as Wanny has. Our defense needs to take chances the next two games to even have a chance to just appear competitive with the level of competition we are facing.

Your message is confused. You rail on Wanny and then blame the players for not motivating themselves. I guess you mean to say that Wanny is tactically unequipped and that the players are unmotivated.

NFL players almost always play hard. It's a warrior's game and there's a lot of pride and machismo at work. There is constant trash talking and bravado. They play hard for their pride and to ensure the big paychecks. I would guess that very few NFL players need to be motivated.

I would also guess that the best motivation a player could have would be knowing that their coaches are putting them in a position to succeed… that their managers are not incompetents (how does working for an incompetent make you feel?).

As for those of you who are clamoring for Wanny to be on the sidelines, the only advantage I can see to that is that he'd be able to see how beat-up, demoralized, and frustrated his players are.

From a strategic standpoint, it's best to be in the booth and fire and brimstone are overrated in the NFL. If motivating needs to be done, there are 7 defensive assistants who can yell and scream.

Fire him? No. He is a good coach but the plan on sunday should be burned. You want to beat Tom Brady watch the 2 super bowl victories NY Giants had over Tom Terrific. That is the blue print to victory. Physical line play, Fill the gaps. Let loose the LBs to run rough shod over the RBs. DBs have to get in the face of Welker and be very physical with him. They did everything possibly wrong on how to defend against the Pats. Better luck next time. Or this Wannie and his staff will be gone.

Brady would have shredded the blitz. The nickel was strategically correct. Kept Brady from throwing it.

. Problem was, Brady and crew are excellent and just went ahead and ran it against the nickel even down 21-7. Smart football.

Oh man, flashing back to the Bills-Giants Super Bowl now. Hate upon hate, wound upon wound.

kj

its so much too early to consider this talk of firing. he has been Bills Defensive Co how long??

Burn him! He s a witch burn hiiiim.

This is what we got, he doesnt like losing. Never has. Like alot more than we do probably if you watched him years ago. He will either get this train up to speed or not.

And we are paid in for the whole trip.

Might as well continue to hope. Thats what im going do till next sunday at 425- the end.

unless he does not light a Goll Darned fire under M wiliams rear quarters . He plays like that again some one needs to sit out and re consider their priorities. and then burn them

Go Bills!

Honestly, after the embarrassing defensive performance against teams that aren't completely mediocre, Wannstedt has proven he can't adjust or compete with competent offenses. Nothing changed against the run in the last two quarters, where both backs tore off 100+ yards each. Obviously this guy thinks it'll all work out and he has to do nothing.

Embarrassing.

The Pats ran the "Paper bag" offense yesterday.

Wannstedt couldn't coach his way out of it.....

The problem with Wanny is the made no adjustments with the defense. He left Scott out on the field who was clearly out matched , never had any blitzs, the same vanilla 4 man pass rush. No half time adjustments, clearly out coached. I am not sure why Moats and Shepard didn't play. Just out coached by a divional rival made me sick.