TJax will stay #3 wtf Bills?

looks like brad smith is taking nelsons spot at wr so it makes sense to have him focus on that instead of trying to be qb3. they will still get him some qb reps when they need to sharpen him up for the wc but need to get jackson as many reps as they can to properly challenge thigpen. i still think one of the two gets cut sometime this season, probably thigpen, but for now this makes sense

1] I understand what Chan is saying. It's really 10x as hard for a QB to learn an offensive system during the season versus during training camp.

2] That said, it's hard to imagine that after a month, TJax hasn't picked it up enough to be #2. Chan's answer wasn't really definitive, and we may need the roster spot because of injury. So TT may well be released at any point.

3] The release of Moorman made the Bills keep TT at least this week, too, because they don't know how long it will take for Powell to be comfortable as the holder on PATs and FGs. We may need to use TT at least this week to be the holder. If it were me, I would. Powell is going to be nervous enough in his first NFL game as a punter and against the Pats in such a big game. It's unnecessary to make him worry about holding, too. He will be the holder in a couple weeks.

4] It may be, however, Chan is not happy with how fast TJax has picked up the offense, and simply does not feel comfortable putting the team's playoff chances on Jackson's shoulders RIGHT NOW should Fitz go down. I'm sure he thinks Jackson is a better long term #2 than Thigpen. But no one knows right now whether TT or TJ is our best bet to win immediately if Fitz were hurt.

Chan's probably comfortable with Thiggy since he's known him for 4 years

To me, it's really hard to know how close Chan's opinions are to Nix's, and how much pull each has on the roster. I know they're pretty close on philosophy, and they work well together and they agree on a LOT of stuff. Sometimes Chan surprises me with his comments on some personnel moves when he says it is "my call" when I think perhaps is it Buddy's. It likely goes back and forth a lot and no one could expect any two people to agree all the time on something so subjective.

It's clear to me, however, that Chan is willing to give up on TT, it's just a matter of time. Bringing in Young, then Jackson, then insisting on a paycut, made that pretty clear. I IMAGINE that Chan is more comfortable with TT than anyone else. But I also think he is very willing to let TT go if the next guy, TJackson in this case, is ready to play.

1] I understand what Chan is saying. It's really 10x as hard for a QB to learn an offensive system during the season versus during training camp.

2] That said, it's hard to imagine that after a month, TJax hasn't picked it up enough to be #2. Chan's answer wasn't really definitive, and we may need the roster spot because of injury. So TT may well be released at any point.

3] The release of Moorman made the Bills keep TT at least this week, too, because they don't know how long it will take for Powell to be comfortable as the holder on PATs and FGs. We may need to use TT at least this week to be the holder. If it were me, I would. Powell is going to be nervous enough in his first NFL game as a punter and against the Pats in such a big game. It's unnecessary to make him worry about holding, too. He will be the holder in a couple weeks.

4] It may be, however, Chan is not happy with how fast TJax has picked up the offense, and simply does not feel comfortable putting the team's playoff chances on Jackson's shoulders RIGHT NOW should Fitz go down. I'm sure he thinks Jackson is a better long term #2 than Thigpen. But no one knows right now whether TT or TJ is our best bet to win immediately if Fitz were hurt.

This is certainly what it sounds like. So, counting Smith, it looks like we'll keep 4 QBs this season which is excessive and takes away from other positions. This is definitely less than ideal.

I expected Coach Lee to work overtime to get TJax ready. But I guess without reps on the practice field, playbook and film study ust isn't enough.

Edited by hondo in seattle

This is certainly what it sounds like. So, counting Smith, it looks like we'll keep 4 QBs this season which is excessive and takes away from other positions. This is definitely less than ideal.

I expected Coach Lee to work overtime to get TJax ready. But I guess without reps on the practice field, playbook and film study ust isn't enough.

Well I actually think Chan and Nix will re-evaluate after every single week. If some player at a different position gets hurt and may be out two weeks, then I think they release TT and sign a player to cover that position. I think, for example, when CJ went down last week, if we only had Johnny White as the #3 instead of a guy like Choice who Chan and Nix both like, then perhaps they gamble on releasing TT and signing a RB for the week or two that CJ may be out.

I just think it's fluid, and week to week it changes on how much TJackson has picked up, and what players we have as back-ups at positions where injuries hit.

I think it means little if nothing. You're backup QB's whether it be #2 or #3 don't get a whole lot of reps mid week to begin with so if Fitz were to go down in a game bringing in TT at that point in the game likely maybe be the best thing as TJ hasn't had much time to learn the offense. He may know the playbook, but likely hasn't had many plays to run the team on the field. You still could bring in TJ in the 4th quarter if he's the #3 if TT is looking real bad. If Fitz were to be out for a couple of weeks, then TJ could get work during the week with the 1st team and could be the starter.

The other thing is right now they haven't yet needed the roster spot. If Fred Jackson and CJ were still going to be out for a couple more weeks they would have to make a roster move, then everything that Chan has told you to date about who's #2 or #3 means nothing.

The fact that the season has reached the quarter pole and the Bills QB succession plan is a mess falls on Nix. How can the Bills have over 5 losing seasons in a row and not have a young QB on the roster that they are developing? Name a GM who is trying to turn around a losing franchise has a strategy that ignores the QB position in the draft?

TJAX is as good at QB as Brad Smith.

Why would you think he will ever elevate past Pigpen?

Because this assessment doesn't coincide with the facts, WSS. TJax passed for >3000 yds last year with a >60% completion percentage and 14 TDs. He's an actual NFL QB.

When have either Thigpen or Brad Smith done anything close in the NFL? Thigpen's best year (with KC) was 54% completions and 2600 yds.

Because this assessment doesn't coincide with the facts, WSS. TJax passed for >3000 yds last year with a >60% completion percentage and 14 TDs. He's an actual NFL QB.

When have either Thigpen or Brad Smith done anything close in the NFL? Thigpen's best year (with KC) was 54% completions and 2600 yds.

Have you seen him play?