Interesting Breakdown of Super Mario

Kipers Hair

Plus he's always rushing from the qbs face not blindside. Just another subtle distinction

^This.

He's going to get sacks. Lots. But he's a different player than most compare him too, and as an every down guy, that's not a terrible thing. Just like kw and md he allows us with 4 men to effectively get pressure and stop the run. Those guys are rare and to have 3 that do both halves so well is very rare and creates a dynamic defensive scheme.

^And that.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have sworn I saw more chips and double teams in one game alone...but they are the experts right?

Meh, expert is as expert does. We got handled by the Jets. Both KC and Browns are supposed to be good running teams and we stuffed them. Sack totals are way up from last year. We're 2-1. Just Win Baby.

We go to the playoffs, we can pile up all the negative sportswriter analysis and Mario can piss on the pile and then lite it on fire.

Meh, expert is as expert does. We got handled by the Jets. Both KC and Browns are supposed to be good running teams and we stuffed them. Sack totals are way up from last year. We're 2-1. Just Win Baby.

We go to the playoffs, we can pile up all the negative sportswriter analysis and Mario can piss on the pile and then lite it on fire.

i'm in!

Mario's piss is flammable? He must be a hit at barbecues.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah double teamed on just 4 plays and chipped on another 7 sounds like a underestimate. Granted I haven't gone back to watch each and every play but in that KC game I saw at least 4 double teams off the top of my head. I could also think of a handful of times in the other two games where he was doubled.

Not saying Mario is doing great (That first game he was invisible) but over the last two games he has at least been a presence on the D-line drawing double teams and getting pressure.

Mario is going to have to show what he is worth against the Pats* for sure. I think we can make a solid judgement come week 6 how Mario is actually doing in terms of pass rush.

Edited by billsfan89

Despite facing mediocre running backs, the Bills run D is mediocre. The Chiefs are the top running team now, but they weren't when we saw them. Hillis and their 3rd back racked up over 120 yards at over 5 yards per. Charles hardly played. That leaves Greene of the Jets and the rookie Richardson of the Browns as the guys Mario has helped contain. Meh...

This is a perfect example of how stats don't always tell you a lot. Most of those KC rushing yards came in garbage time when the game was out of reach & we were willing to give them those gains on the ground & run the clock. Did you even watch the game?

Lots of homers on this thread.

Most of the double-teams this season have been on Kyle and Dareus, yet they've both been way more productive than Mario. The reason why the defense has improved is because this is the first time those two are playing together while being healthy. The one hundred million dollar man has been the 4th best player on the D-line so far.

Having said that, that's only the synopsis after three games, and not an indication of what's to come. He is learning a new defense, coming off injury and he's got way too much talent for his play to continue to be this underwhelming (at least I hope). But saying his play so far has been anything but disappointing is just not being truthful.

Based on what I have seen, I agree with you.

But others--including the dude with the photos who had a thread on this--have claimed to do more of an empirical analysis and claimed that MW has been double-teamed a ton.

If the homerism is so rampant as some say, why is it that we're onto page 4 of this thread and no one has invoked the mysterious wrist injury as a reason for M. Williams' underwhelming performance so far?

As usual there's a few apologists in this thread just as there are some hyper-critics but mostly good fair commentary.

I'd like to see Williams do more and I think he will as the season progresses.

This is a perfect example of how stats don't always tell you a lot. Most of those KC rushing yards came in garbage time when the game was out of reach & we were willing to give them those gains on the ground & run the clock. Did you even watch the game?

If you watched the Bills this season you will know that they haven't gotten run on at all this season. The pass rush has been inconsistent but the run D has been pretty stout. I have never at all this season thought that the Bills run D has been terrible.

Even if you think all 3 teams are terrible at running then you have to be able to shut them down. Last year even the terrible running teams were running all over us. I think that the Chiefs are a pretty good running team and we shut them down. Richardson is a pretty good back too, its just his team can't pass around him so he gets shut down because teams won't let him beat him.

Edited by billsfan89

If Mario Williams finishes the year playing at his current level and winds up being evaluated as the fourth best player on this line here is what it means:

1) Kyle Williams is freak-show elite.

2) The Darius pick has gone from "safe" to "fantastic".

3) Buddy Nix drastically underpaid for Mark Anderson.

Do these people watch the games? Last week MW absolutely destroyed the RT from cleveland. Look at the pocket when teams are throwing against us it is hardly there and the right side of it goes away almost immediatly on most plays. He got some flack for the game he didnt have a sack but yet he pushed the RT into the QB allowing KW to get a sack and he jumped on the fumble. I get that he is making a lot of money but I think he has been awesome so far this year, the stats might not be there currently but if you watch the man do work he is crushing it and is the main reason the other guys are getting sacks alot of times. Also KW is a monster who is throwing guards aside like a boss.

If Mario Williams finishes the year playing at his current level and winds up being evaluated as the fourth best player on this line here is what it means:

1) Kyle Williams is freak-show elite.

2) The Darius pick has gone from "safe" to "fantastic".

3) Buddy Nix drastically underpaid for Mark Anderson.

The one in bold already happened :thumbsup: