Total NFL Realignment

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to be really, REALLY into this line of thinking.

i would open up a map of america in microsoft paint, and put a star where every nfl team was, then draw different colored circles around teams that should be in the same division, based on a US atlas of how far each city was from each other, in actual miles.

but now, im going in the exact opposite direction--the nfl needs to have NO divisions-in my opinion.

basically, expand the league by 2 more teams, both in LA.

in the American Football Conference are 17 teams, in the National Football Conference, there are 17 teams.

You play every team in your conference once a year--rotating homefield advantage on a yearly basis.

top 6 make the playoffs (i have always loved that the NFL is the only sport where teams get a bye.)

This way, everyone has the same schedule, and the Super Bowl becomes a unique event where the two teams that are playing NEVER face each other.

I like this idea a lot, so long as you keep the traditional teams from the AFC and NFC. I think the interleague play in baseball has somewhat diminished the specialness of the World Series. There used to be a real rivalry with the two leagues, especially among fans, and I'd like to see that re-introduced to the NFL.

i would open up a map of america in microsoft paint, and put a star where every nfl team was, then draw different colored circles around teams that should be in the same division, based on a US atlas of how far each city was from each other, in actual miles.

but now, im going in the exact opposite direction--the nfl needs to have NO divisions-in my opinion.

in the American Football Conference are 17 teams, in the National Football Conference, there are 17 teams.

You play every team in your conference once a year--rotating homefield advantage on a yearly basis.

top 6 make the playoffs (i have always loved that the NFL is the only sport where teams get a bye.)

This way, everyone has the same schedule, and the Super Bowl becomes a unique event where the two teams that are playing NEVER face each other.

I like this idea!!

I offer to solve this problem for the whole world every year or two but so far no has been bold enough to do the right thing. To PROPERLY realign the nfl, we go to FOUR divisions:

AFC EAST

buf

pit

mia

balt

ny jets

cleve

cincy

pats

AFC West

rams

raiders

chargers

seattle

indy

DENVER

kc

49ers

NFC North

bears

giants

eagles

detroit

greenbay

washington

bears

vikings

NFC South

Dallas

saints

jaguars

panthers

cardinals

tampa

houston

falcons

this maintains MOST of the big rivalries and gives the NFL it's best chance at a true regional feel...WHICH I THINK FANS WOULD LOVE.

How would the schedule work?

1. YOU would play 6 of the 7 other teams in your division ONCE a year (alternating home and away from one year to the next, of course). You would have ONE home-and-home in your division, which would rotate annually.

2. You would play four teams from the opposite division in your conference once...these will rotate predictably

3. You would play two games against teams from each diviison in the opposite conference based on where you placed in your division the year before....i.e: if the bills finished 1st or 2nd they'd play the 1st and 2nd place teams from the nfc north and south the following year. If they finished 5th they'd play the 5th and 6th place teams from those divivisions.

ONLY THE WINNER of each division qualifies for the playoffs and gets the first round bye. And whoever did it would certainly be a deserving winner. the other 4 teams in each conference would be wild cards, chosen the way they are chosen now.

In my scenario, winning your 8 team division would really be something to celebrate,..in contrast with the current 4 team division garbage that lets 9-7 or 8-8 teams routinely. You'd have to be a stud team to win it, no doubt. and we could keep that 8-8 seattle crap out of the playoffs (not to mention gifting them with a home playoff game they don't deserve) for good.

I ALSO think it would be really exciting if all our traditional rivals came to town every other year like they do in college football. i think the home fish or pats game would mean more to the fans if you had to wait 2 years for the next one.

YOU'RE WELCOME!! :)

Edited by jester43

It makes sense logistically, but it would ruin old standing divisional rivalries. Every game would be like Bills v Jaguars. Not that any game isn't important in a 16 game schedule, but I'd rather watch Bills-Jets, Bills-Dolphins, or Bills-Pats than Bills-Bucs.

I don't nderstand what you mean? we'd play pats, fish, jets, steelers, browns bengals and steelers once a year and one of them would be played twice. we'd only see tampa when our finish in the division matched up with theirs.

personally, i like keeping our old rivalies too. i'd also like to see the natural rivalries with cleveland and pgh and baltimore intensified.

So, Washington, D.C. Is now Dixie? There's a bunch of history books counter to that thought. I do like the alignment though!

Hopefully none of those history books are used in schools. Washington DC was as Dixie as Dixie can get.

Ever hear the Redskins song? The lyrics used to be "fight for old Dixie" before they were changed to "fight for old DC".

I would miss inter league play. Can you imagine never playing an NFC team year after year unless you reached the Super Bowl, and even then you only play one team. Your schedule would be the same every year which would be boring. It would make the season less interesting.

I think that divisions create rivalries which are good for the sport. I would not want to do away with them.

Edited by vincec

Remember the Mason-Dixon line was Pennsylvania & Maryland border, hence everything south was Dixie (legal slavery).

Note the Mason-Dixon line wasn't a border marking slave/non-slavery states. Delaware was north of the Mason-Dixon line, and was a slave state.

I would miss inter league play. Can you imagine never playing an NFC team year after year unless you reached the Super Bowl, and even then you only play one team. Your schedule would be the same every year which would be boring. It would make the season less interesting.

I think that divisions create rivalries which are good for the sport. I would not want to do away with them.

than what you're saying is you think my plan is awesome and deserves to be implemented right away.

cmon guys i am just sitting here waiting for the accolades to start pouring in!! i have solved the problem!

names would offend folks buy alignment looks good

I could have used rednecks , hillbillies and wetbacks ;)

I like inter-conference play and prefer top 8 to make it, that way more fans can be excited that there team is in the playoffs and the league makes more money, everyone wins.

P.S. can't believe I'm 10 posts in and no negative comments, I really thought I was going to get grilled on this one.

Remember the Mason-Dixon line was Pennsylvania & Maryland border, hence everything south was Dixie (legal slavery).

that's what I was going with

That's pretty cool. good effort....you barbarian. :flirt:

Feeling the love today, man don't know what is going on, feel so out of place, wheres Ramius, bowery4, Nosaint, Cap hindsight, et al; when I need them :lol:

It would be tough for me not to play in the same division as the Dolphins. Just doesnt seem right.

I hear ya but I'm kind of over them now.

Take out the Saints, and the AFC Sunbelt division could be renamed the Can't Sell Out in September Division.

:lol:

Swap chargers and broncos. west coast division

I could see that

It makes sense logistically, but it would ruin old standing divisional rivalries. Every game would be like Bills v Jaguars. Not that any game isn't important in a 16 game schedule, but I'd rather watch Bills-Jets, Bills-Dolphins, or Bills-Pats than Bills-Bucs.

We wouldn't being playing the bucs

than what you're saying is you think my plan is awesome and deserves to be implemented right away.

cmon guys i am just sitting here waiting for the accolades to start pouring in!! i have solved the problem!

sorry, you'll have to start your own thread

Agreed...But this is how it should be...I love it!!! B-)

well I did say feel free to come up with some new names.

Terrible.

Youre breaking up virtually ALL the big division rivalries.

For example....

If you were Ralph, would you sign up to lose the Miami game and its guaranteed sellout?

If you were any team that played the Cowboys, would you give up that game and its guaranteed sellout?

From a fans perspective, its terrible too.....

For example, there would be riots in KC if you took the Raiders and Broncos games away from them.

Frankly Im shocked anyone who is an NFL fan can look at this "plan" and say its good.