Whether you like him, hate him, or he scares the hell out of you...

eball

Compared to who the QBs have been, yeah I absolutely have no problem with Fitz. There is only a handful of elite QBs in the NFL and obviously Fitz is not one of them. I lump him into the middle tier of QBs. He's not the best and he's not the worst despite what some think.

If the Bills can upgrade the QB position i'm all for it. The only way to upgrade is to get an elite QB, I don't see them having the opportunity to do that anytime soon and a lateral move is not the answer. That said Fitz is the guy.

That's fair. I would agree with that. I hope we address the QB position in the draft and allow Fitz to "groom" a young stud. No matter what people think of Fitz, if he goes down, we are screwed. I agree he is the best we have, I just hope we don't stop looking for something better.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious all the Fitz critics and haters only see the bad. It doesn't matter if Fitz wins 10 games in a row, has 30 TDs and 0 Ints he will never win you haters over. You will always think you find fault where there is none to be found, and you kind of look dumb in your accusations.

He is the best QB the Bills have had since Kelly left in the mid 90's and tons and tons of fans are miserable because he is the QB, WTF. I guess you all were more satisfied with the Trents, JP, RJs and such. I think i've come to the conclusion that most Bills fans can never be satisfied and will not truly understand what they have until it is gone.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with in Fitz as QB. This team and franchise has been bad for so long, I have to believe they are turning the corner and Fitz is part of that.

What's all this "Best since Kelly" crap? Alex Van Pelt was at least as good as Fitz...and I'm a Fitz fan and supporter :)

He is who he is and you get what you get. Yeah, they beat the winless Browns and the should be winless Chefs, but there will be problems when he's pressured. He had a few in the last 2 weeks....A FEW....that shoulda been intercepted. The empty hand fumble. Name the last dominant QB that you had that "box of chocolates" feeling.

I think his top end is about 9 wins unless the Bills have THEE best running game in the NFL and their defense plays a lot better.

No one will categorize our guy as dominant.

Here are the starting qbs I have heard refered to as inconsistant (box o choclates) from their respective fans, in no particular order:

Cutler

Vick

Sanchez

Flacco

Eli

Alex smith

Romo

Since a bunch of these guys were in the playoffs last year it means there's a chance!

What's all this "Best since Kelly" crap? Alex Van Pelt was at least as good as Fitz...and I'm a Fitz fan and supporter :)

Please. Van Pelt is fourth at best, behind Bledsoe (he'd be damn good with this line), Flutie, and Fitz.

Please. Van Pelt is fourth at best, behind Bledsoe (he'd be damn good with this line), Flutie, and Fitz.

I agree that Bledsoe would have done well behind this line. Another QB about whom that could be said is . . . Rob Johnson. :w00t:

If you gave Rob Johnson enough time to throw, he was deadly. Granted, Rob Johnson's definition of "enough" time was a little different than most other QBs'. On the other hand, Rob Johnson had Losman-like arm strength and first-rate accuracy. He was also fairly mobile. His deep throws were things of beauty; as were his intermediate throws.

If you combine a highly sack-prone QB with a bad OL, you get the most sacked QB in NFL history. (Which is what happened.) If you combine that same sack-prone QB with a very good OL, you'll still have a sack problem. But it will be only a problem. Not the career-destroying catastrophe the Bills witnessed in the late '90s and early 2000s.

If you could combine the good things about Rob Johnson (physical tools + throwing accuracy) with the good things about Fitz (fast and good decision-making, good sack avoidance), you'd have one awesome QB! :thumbsup:

Yeah, he's inaccurate and doesn't have the strongest arm. He's still easily the Bills best QB since Flutie. I for one LOVE having a QB with good pocket presence for a change who can make things happen when plays break down.... and I also love that he's tough with great leadership traits. Definitely needs to be more consistent, no doubt... I would still take him over many of the starters in this league right now.

ty

If Fitz keeps on throwing for 200 yards and 2-3 TDs a game he can keep on scaring me. The D will be getting better and the run game and O-line will too. Keep on doing what you're doing Fitz, and keep trying to fix your accuracy at least a tad bit :)

i still think theres a good chance we havent seen the best of fitz yet. david lee has said very bluntly that it takes at least half a season for mechanics changes to become muscle memory. so if the bills stay in striking distance of the playoffs we might see fitz come on strong right when they get that nice stretch of mostly home games against the bottom half-ish of the league teams the last seven weeks of the season

...the bottom line in this results-oriented game of football is since the early stages of the 3rd quarter in week one, Fitz has thrown 8 TDs, 0 picks, and the Bills have outscored their opponents 80-45.

I really still don't know what to make of Fitz, but it's amazing what having a good OL and DL can do for a team.

So if you throw out the part where he was bad, he looks pretty good if you only look at the stat which seem to show that? Got it .

I like to look at all the games, and all the stats which are most important for evaluating QBs:

TDs 8 (1st)

INTs 3 (9-way tie for 10th most)

INT percentage: 3.5% (slightly better than his career rate, and quite a bit better than last year, but still below average)

YPA: 6.8 (2-way tie for 23rd)

Completion percentage: 58.1 (22nd)

Not great so far. He still has a chance to improve, as Lee's teaching gets assimilated. Hope it happens.

So if you throw out the part where he was bad, he looks pretty good if you only look at the stat which seem to show that? Got it .

I like to look at all the games, and all the stats which are most important for evaluating QBs:

TDs 8 (1st)

INTs 3 (9-way tie for 10th most)

INT percentage: 3.5% (slightly better than his career rate, and quite a bit better than last year, but still below average)

YPA: 6.8 (2-way tie for 23rd)

Completion percentage: 58.1 (22nd)

Not great so far. He still has a chance to improve, as Lee's teaching gets assimilated. Hope it happens.

So, you really don't understand the premise of the original post? Got it.

...the bottom line in this results-oriented game of football is since the early stages of the 3rd quarter in week one, Fitz has thrown 8 TDs, 0 picks, and the Bills have outscored their opponents 80-45.

I really still don't know what to make of Fitz, but it's amazing what having a good OL and DL can do for a team.

Look what Super Blow Champs Washington Redskins OL (the Hogs) did for Mark (chump on any other team) Rypen.

Unfortunately the "passing" part makes up about 75% of a QB.

a) It's not a statement of mutually exclusive items. He's got average physical skills, and above average mental skills.

b) I disagree that passing makes up 75% of a QB, otherwise JP Losman and Rob Johnson would be Hall of Famers.

Unfortunately the "passing" part makes up about 75% of a QB.

Dude, just stop.

Who coined the phrase? "It's better to stay silent and let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Man, did they know what they were talking about.

a) It's not a statement of mutually exclusive items. He's got average physical skills, and above average mental skills.

b) I disagree that passing makes up 75% of a QB, otherwise JP Losman and Rob Johnson would be Hall of Famers.

You cant be a hall of famer on just a good arm. But you certainly cant be a hall of famer if you dont have a good arm.

Dude, just stop.

Who coined the phrase? "It's better to stay silent and let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Man, did they know what they were talking about.

How does what I said make me an idiot?

Were you one of those who wanted the Bills to draft Ryan Mallett?

I wasn't a fan of Ryan Mallett..

Dont get me wrong, an important part of being a QB is being smart and having good leadership skills.. but you still need to be able to make the throws. What % of importance would all of you assign passing to a QBs game?

i still think theres a good chance we havent seen the best of fitz yet. david lee has said very bluntly that it takes at least half a season for mechanics changes to become muscle memory. so if the bills stay in striking distance of the playoffs we might see fitz come on strong right when they get that nice stretch of mostly home games against the bottom half-ish of the league teams the last seven weeks of the season

If David Lee's optimism is justified, Fitz could become a very good quarterback. Accuracy is the main thing he's missing. Arm strength would help too; but he'd benefit a lot more from increased accuracy than from increased arm strength.

My guess is that there's only a 10% or less chance of Lee's optimism being justified. But if it is, that would be awesome! The Bills are a quarterback away from being a very good team.

"Passing" isn't just the ability to throw the ball a long distance (which Losman could do well). It's also the ability to throw the ball with consistent accuracy (which Losman wasn't exactly noted for). Even for Losman's shorter passes, guys would often have to reach down to their shoestrings or jump wildly in the air in order to catch his throws.

Rob Johnson was a much more accurate passer than Losman, and had a good, strong arm as well. If he'd had merely average pocket presence and sack-avoidance technique, he could have had a very good career. There are a number of necessary conditions for being an NFL quarterback: a certain minimum level of physical size and strength, a certain level of toughness, a certain level of sack avoidance ability, etc. If a guy fails to meet even one of those necessary conditions, he will fail as a quarterback. But assuming he meets all the minimal qualifications, then his accuracy as a passer will represent a huge component of his overall NFL success. I think that's what Billsrhody was getting at in his earlier post.