Belichick touching the official after the game

Dragonborn10

LOVE the CBS sportsline heading

Belichick accosts official

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20343228/bill-belichick-accosts-official-after-patriots-ravens-game-sunday-night

Oh yeah... and I rather play the Pats with replacement refs and not the regulars who have been favoring the Pats for years with phantom calls.

Good point BUT .. Fitz's fumble might have been called a forward pass and not a fumble with the regular refs.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with these refs. Just think it some weird kind of psychosomatic thing. And now it's piling on. Reminds me of something that someone said about Gerald Ford's administration post-Watergate.

There are more issues not because there are more issues, but because folks are expecting there to be more issues.

I actually agree with this. When the "regular" refs are in there, it's completely off limits for the media/coaches/players to talk bad about them. Now that the replacements are in, it's open season. We've seen the ball marked incorrectly in Bills games in the past -- and the announcers never say anything about it. We've seen tons of bad calls against Buffalo, or phantom calls go in New England's favor, and the announcers/media never talk about it. Now that there are "replacement refs" everyone's talking about it. Hell, the "Just give it to 'em" game barely got any mention by the national media.

http://espn.go.com/b...altimore-ravens

Look at this issue, for example. People complaining that the FG wasn't reviewed -- yet it wasn't reviewable and the refs made the right call - but they're still getting grief.

Here is what's wrong with these refs - They need to be given "On Field tutoring" on the flags they throw!

http://static.nfl.co...1_Rule_Book.pdf

Section 9 Page 106

( c ) Other reviewable plays:

7. A field-goal or Try attempt that crosses below or above the crossbar, inside or outside the uprights

when it is lower than the top of the uprights, or touches anything.

Perhaps you're the one who needs a reading comprehension lesson first (not surprising).

PS - Anyone bringing up the fact that Wilfork ran into the endzone and took his helmet off? IIRC, that's a personal foul on the defense, so Ravens would have had another play anyway :)

I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with these refs. Just think it some weird kind of psychosomatic thing. And now it's piling on.

The new refs have some consistency issues, but overall I agree with you. Most of the reaction is people just piling on because it's the current "story", and in America when we find a new "story", we beat it into the ground mercilessly until the media serves up the next one.

Perfect example is Collinsworth blathering on and on about the illegal contact call against the Ravens that negated the late INT and strongly infering that the call was wrong because the defender is allowed contact within five yards. Well the defender is not allowed to grab and hold the receiver's jersey for ten yards, which is exactly what he did. So should the ref have said 'holding' instead of 'illegal contact'? Yes. Did that make any difference? No, a 5 yard/first down penalty against Baltimore was the correct call. And they got it right on the huge PI penalty against NE on the game winning drive.

In fact, in that absurd flag-fest last night, they probably got 90+% of the penalties right. There were a couple of bad PI calls and the PF on Reed was boardline. But it wasn't the refs fault that these two teams came to hit and go after each other and comitted a crazy # of fouls.

Perfect example is Collinsworth blathering on and on about the illegal contact call against the Ravens that negated the late INT and strongly infering that the call was wrong because the defender is allowed contact within five yards. Well the defender is not allowed to grab and hold the receiver's jersey for ten yards, which is exactly what he did. So should the ref have said 'holding' instead of 'illegal contact'? Yes. Did that make any difference? No, a 5 yard/first down penalty against Baltimore was the correct call. And they got it right on the huge PI penalty against NE on the game winning drive.

Yup I was talking about this with my wife (bless her for watching with me). He made such a big deal out of it and it boiled down to verbiage. There was clearly a penalty on the play. They called a penalty - leave it be. He made it out to be way more egregious than the truth.

So should the ref have said 'holding' instead of 'illegal contact'? Yes. Did that make any difference? No, a 5 yard/first down penalty against Baltimore was the correct call.

Kinda like times when the real refs call offsides on the offense, when they really mean false start.

I did not know that. And it appears Belichick did not either. But the ball was within the upright, although it probably would have hit it if it were longer.

i think the issue is that the camera angles just dont really exist for what you need there. the ref standing below has the perfect angle and any of the cameras would play tricks on the eyes trying to gauge at an angle, from a distance with a hooking kick.

Yup I was talking about this with my wife (bless her for watching with me). He made such a big deal out of it and it boiled down to verbiage. There was clearly a penalty on the play. They called a penalty - leave it be. He made it out to be way more egregious than the truth.

at best it was the wrong penalty, which means the wrong result of the play. truly, ball in the air means CC was wrong too, it was DPI - if you take it in a vacuum.

when you compare it to other no calls, on that drive alone (yet alone the inconsistency all game long), it was a MAJOR head scratcher (or maybe the other non-calls were the head scratchers).

Edited by NoSaint

How is it the wrong result...? Both illegal contact and defensive holding are 5 yard penalty, automatic first down.

Ball was in the air, it was Defensive pass interference, if you are calling that, which is a spot foul.

Edited by NoSaint

Kinda like times when the real refs call offsides on the offense, when they really mean false start.

Yes, which happens every game. It never bothered anyone before, but now it's ruining the league. :rolleyes:

Ball was in the air, it was Defensive pass interference, if you are calling that, which is a spot foul.

Ball was not in the air and defender was grabbing receiver's jersey during the entire route. He let go just about the time the ball was thrown, separated and made the pick. That's holding.

He had better be fined. Fox got $20,000 just for verbal abuse. If Godell had any backbone he would suspend him for next weeks game. Total deuchbaggery...

He didn't get suspended for cheating, why would he get suspended for grabbing a ref after a game? A fine, I sure hope so, especially if what they were saying on the radio is true and he was trying to find out if that game winning (or losing in his case) field goal was going to be reviewed and it isn't even a reviewable play?

Yes, which happens every game. It never bothered anyone before, but now it's ruining the league. :rolleyes:

Ball was not in the air and defender was grabbing receiver's jersey during the entire route. He let go just about the time the ball was thrown, separated and made the pick. That's holding.

if you have a better angle you might be right - im going off memory at the moment, but even CC changed his opinion after his initial rant and called it DPI if you are going to call it. though it was a play that can be called a foul, without any consistency it was certainly not the non-issue that many are making it sound. when you let them play and then make an example out of a smaller infraction, thats no good.

Edited by NoSaint

Your avatar and quote are crackin me up, Well Done Sir !

I wouldn't be surprised though if nothing comes of it, even after the NFL sent out letters warning teams to take it easy on the refs. After all, for years the Patriots, Brady, Belicheat and Kraft have been the darlings of the NFL.

Here is what's wrong with these refs - They need to be given "On Field tutoring" on the flags they throw!

http://static.nfl.co...1_Rule_Book.pdf

Section 9 Page 106

( c ) Other reviewable plays:

7. A field-goal or Try attempt that crosses below or above the crossbar, inside or outside the uprights

when it is lower than the top of the uprights, or touches anything.

And Phil Luckett didn;t know his heads from his tails.

I'm not saying that they won't screw up a call. I'm saying that I'm not sure that they do it with any more frequency than did the regular crew. However the expectation is that since they're replacements, they'll screw up. So there is a heightened level of scrutiny around EVERYTHING they do.

They're also dealing with a dynamic that the regular refs didn't have to deal with...players are trying to push the limit to see what they can get away with. So when people point out that there are more flags, that is consistent with player's own admissions that they're pushing it a bit.

It's like when Gerald Ford was labeled as clumsy because he tripped descending the airplane stairs. It happens ALL the time. But because there was so much media attention on the president and every move that he made post-Watergate, even pedestrian things began to define him.

That's what's happening here.

I actually agree with this. When the "regular" refs are in there, it's completely off limits for the media/coaches/players to talk bad about them. Now that the replacements are in, it's open season. We've seen the ball marked incorrectly in Bills games in the past -- and the announcers never say anything about it. We've seen tons of bad calls against Buffalo, or phantom calls go in New England's favor, and the announcers/media never talk about it. Now that there are "replacement refs" everyone's talking about it. Hell, the "Just give it to 'em" game barely got any mention by the national media.

http://espn.go.com/b...altimore-ravens

Look at this issue, for example. People complaining that the FG wasn't reviewed -- yet it wasn't reviewable and the refs made the right call - but they're still getting grief.

This ^

I think they could have called any of the three penalties. DPI, holding or illegal contact as all 3 were in play.

thats fair enough.

its still frustrating when gronk and lewis are having a bar fight in the secondary just snaps prior, and this comparatively was just getting a little handsy