Offense Pass Interference Call

ubhockey

Just got back from the game, I can't tell you how crazy it was when we took the lead and they show the Jets were losing. The place was a madhouse.

With the Bills streaking, they get called for an offensive pass interference call which is no doubt the single reason we lost this game. I don't know what the rule is or who did what, but there was NOT ONE STEELER within 10 yards of our fullback who caught the pass. It was a dump off pass as well. I just can't understand how you can call that.

Yes, we should have beaten their second stringers, yes Lindell should have made that field goal, but none of that would have mattered because we would have scored from the 4 yard line and made it 24-16 and had all the momentum. We'd be talking about Indy right now.

A big F-U to the officials. They need to do what NHL officials do in and near the playoffs, put the damn flags away and let the men play.

Next season is just to far away.

From a thread I started earlier...

You never know what would have happened, but it is my opinion that if Josh doesn't commit the pass interference call, we go in for a TD and take a 24-16 lead, and start taking control of the game. Instead, we end up missing a field goal. Then the defense loses focus for one play and the next thing you know, we are down a point instead of up eight. How is that not the biggest play of the game and one of the biggest turns in fortune in a Bills game in recent memory?

All I know is just about every player on this team, right or wrong, has taken his share of criticism. One of the rare exceptions is Josh Reed. The guy was a complete zero this season, and that penalty cost us BIG TIME. And yes, it WAS a penalty. He made a blocking action before the ball was thrown. It was a penalty. But everyone can now go back to blaming guys like Eric Moulds, who makes plays and makes Lee Evans better; Travis Henry, who gets blamed for the weather; Nate Clements, who did more positive than negative today; and anyone else you want to point out.

Josh Reed...our training camp All-American. The first person who posts "Josh Reed is catching everything" this August should be banned from this board.

Follow-up post:

It looked to me that he put his hands out and made a blocking motion. Call it a block or an illegal pick...either way it's a penalty. Completely unnecessary too. The play called for a short pass to the fullback into the flats to convert on third and short. The guy Josh blocked wasn't going to prevent Shelton from getting the first down. It would have been first and goal from about the seven, the Steelers are on their heels, and Willis was where Willis is at his best...near the goal line. I was looking ahead, thinking of a inevitable 24-16 lead, a subsequent three and out, and the Steelers pack it in and call it a day. That penalty, along with the missed field goal and 58-yard run, changed everything. But it all started with Josh's penalty.

That penalty, along with the missed field goal and 58-yard run, changed everything. But it all started with Josh's penalty.

189407[/snapback]

THANK YOU. I've been saying the same thing - that play was a disaster. That guy just sucks. He does nothing. He drops a ball once a game (today included), has no confidence, no sense of urgency, has made no progress, never comes through with a big play, gets no RAC (which he was known for in college), and sounds idiotic interviews. Mike Williams has gotten the "bust" label around here, but it's Josh Reed who is the real "bust" story on this team. It'll be a miracle if he's even on the roster next year.

Oh, and I despise him. Today.

Thanks for the post.

If it was a penalty then Josh should take the heat for this outcome. That play cause the downfall of the 2004 season.

However, I still maintain, the NFL officials need to let the men play. They shouldn't call penalties that don't affect the play.

It was a BS call on Reed. Reed just touched the defender and a flag was thrown. There was no interference.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  the official for that call

189455[/snapback]

It WAS a penalty - a stupid, useless one at that. It just isn't called all of the time. Reed is a fat toad and should be cut. Tomorrow.

I'm not sure of the exact rule, but I thought that contact between a receiver and defensive player was allowed within 5 yards of the line of scrimage. When they showed the replay, I thought Reed was within 5 yards of the line when he made contact with the defender. I feel that this was the turning point of the game.

I'm not sure of the exact rule, but I thought that contact between a receiver and defensive player was allowed within 5 yards of the line of scrimage.  When they showed the replay, I thought Reed was within 5 yards of the line when he made contact with the defender.  I feel that this was the turning point of the game.

189763[/snapback]

He didn't "make contact" he BLOCKED the LB while, or before, the ball was in the air. It WAS a penalty, it was a classic example of a "pick" That particular LB was running outside to cover the RB out of the backfield. He may have got there, he probably WOULD'NT of, put in plain english, it was a penalty. How can THAT cause you the game. You were playing against our 3RD stringers and you think the officials cost you the game?? :doh:

I'm not sure of the exact rule, but I thought that contact between a receiver and defensive player was allowed within 5 yards of the line of scrimage.  When they showed the replay, I thought Reed was within 5 yards of the line when he made contact with the defender.  I feel that this was the turning point of the game.

189763[/snapback]

That's true ONLY when the Ball is not in the air...With the Ball in the Air, which in this case it was, all bets are off and all other PI contact (Offensive, or Defensive) is in Play...By the Book, it was a good Call...But a Call that is almost never made in the NFL...The truth is, regardless of Officiating tendencies in the NFL, it was unnecessary contact by JR because the Defender he picked would have never been able to stop the Play...Just another example of the Bills finding a way to lose...Sure the Refs helped, but still another example of blowing it in a Game that was full of similar examples... :doh:

That's true ONLY when the Ball is not in the air...With the Ball in the Air, which in this case it was, all bets are off and all other PI contact (Offensive, or Defensive) is in Play...By the Book, it was a good Call...But a Call that is almost never made in the NFL...The truth is, regardless of Officiating tendencies in the NFL, it was unnecessary contact by JR because the Defender he picked would have never been able to stop the Play...Just another example of the Bills finding a way to lose...Sure the Refs helped, but still another example of blowing it in a Game that was full of similar examples... :doh:

189807[/snapback]

Why now?

Let me highlight it for you?

Was it Nate Odoms in the 1988 AFC championship Game that picked up the 15 for unsportsmanlike conduct against the Bengals?

We've been done this road before?

I have a problem with the pick call, but week in and week out I generally find something to be upset about. The officiating ebbs and flows around the hot team in the league. If you happen to be hot, then you're in, if you're not, then you get called with some garbage. I recall in the New England game, Vrabel burst through the line when the whistle has blown for a false start, proceeds to get to Bledsoe and tosses him down. It was a gentle toss, to be certain, but how in the name of officiating do you let that slide?

My bigger problem (not that I wasn't ticked off with the pick call, because that shaved abother two years off my life). My bigger problem was on 4th and one, 5 minutes left, the qb bootleg and the pretty obvious hold by the receiver on cb in position to impact the play. The official standing right in front of the play, watching the play unfold, let's it slide or misses it entirely. They pick up the pick, the fletcher interference call, and miss the holding call on one of the key plays of the game.

It reminds me of last year, watching the pats defensive backs mugging the colts recievers and getting away with it.

The breaks go to the hot teams, and we weren't hot enough when it mattered.

Nonetheless, the Bills underperformed today, the mark of a team with some work to do. That missed field goal by Lindell was brutal.

Don't blame the officials on that they made the right call. You can't block people when you have a QB making a pass. Reed didn't need to block that LB. Reed's been a bust as well.

On a different note, what the hell was Clements and Bledsoe thinking. They waited to the 4th qtr to get evans involved.

I hate to say it but it was like men against boys today.

Why now?

Was it Nate Odoms in the 1988 AFC championship Game that picked up the 15 for unsportsmanlike conduct against the Bengals?

189831[/snapback]

It was Derrick Burroughs, and you are correct about that Road...

How about PI on a Hail Mary in New England???

Don't blame the officials on that they made the right call. You can't block people when you have a QB making a pass. Reed didn't need to block that LB. Reed's been a bust as well.

On a different note, what the hell was Clements and Bledsoe thinking. They waited to the 4th qtr to get evans involved.

I hate to say it but it was like men against boys today.

189873[/snapback]

You think they took a cavalier attitude to calling this game... After the success they had, maybe a "what will be will be attitude?"

:doh::(

Why now?

189831[/snapback]

Burroughs

I thought it was a bogus call, Reed ran his route and there was a guy in his way, so they had a little contact. It may have been designed that way, much like a crossing pattern....contact is inevitable. It was an unnecessary call.

I still think they should've gone for it on 4th and short near midfield with 11 minutes left. What's the worst that could happen? They fail, and the defense has to hold? Pittsburgh ran off 9 minutes to gain 48 yards. Absurd.

I have a lot of respect for the Steelers and the way they played the game....to win. They are a better team, and we made enough mistakes to lose 3 games today.

I thought it was a bogus call, Reed ran his route and there was a guy in his way, so they had a little contact.  It may have been designed that way, much like a crossing pattern....contact is inevitable. It was an unnecessary call. 

I still think they should've gone for it on 4th and short near midfield with 11 minutes left.  What's the worst that could happen?  They fail, and the defense has to hold?  Pittsburgh ran off 9 minutes to gain 48 yards.  Absurd.

I have a lot of respect for the Steelers and the way they played the game....to win.  They are a better team, and we made enough mistakes to lose 3 games today.

189948[/snapback]

No doubt this was a case of micro-officiating that only Bills Fans truly have a full appreciation of (at least that's what I think... :( )...And again I'm quite sure you can see a similar Play every week in the NFL go off without the PI Call...If you follow the letter of the Rule, the Call was justified. It seems though as if those Rules are uncovered in Bills Games far too often when they are generally ignored throughout the League...And furthermore, the contact Reed made really had no impact on the outcome of the Play...I could see the arguement if the Play goes for a TD, but it was a short Gain for a 1st Down, and the Player Reed picked could not possibly have changed that outcome...Which is all too often the problem with Penalties in the NFL...The actual result of the called Penalty far outweighs the infraction all to often when you take into consideration where the foul took place and the possible effect it could have had on the outcome of the Play, etc...It's a Black and White way of dealing with a heck of a lot of grey area...And I don't imagine that's ever going to change...

And while it (the penalty) was certainly a turning point in the Game, even after the FG miss, the long Run, and the Steelers FG, the truth is the Bills were only down by 2 points with PLENTY of time left to make up such a small deficit...That's why I believe the Bledsoe Fumble and TD was the true turning point... because that's when the Steelers turned the lights off on our 2004 Season... :doh:

Do you think the long run right after the missed extended chip-shot caught the Bill's D off guard? Whereas, they might have been banking on the FG and get a few extra minutes during the subsequent kickoff to get their heads screwed on straight?

Just a thought... If I was a defensive starter... I would have been stunned by a missed 28 yard FG.

There is no excuse for the miss.

The penalty just got the chain of sh*t events rolling against the Bills!

Do you think the long run right after the missed extended chip-shot caught the Bill's D off guard?  Whereas, they might have been banking on the FG and get a few extra minutes during the subsequent kickoff to get their heads screwed on straight?

Just a thought... If I was a defensive starter... I would have been stunned by a missed 28 yard FG.

There is no excuse for the miss.

The penalty just got the chain of sh*t events rolling against the Bills!

190066[/snapback]

Its very obvious that the PI on Reed began the unraveling, changed the momentum the Bills had going. Drew put an exclamation point on it when he fumbled it away for a Pit score, (I had a flash back to the first Pats game on that one).

Lindell, Bledsoe, and our run defense.......all failed the Bills as did the WR's, and even Clements himself after going away from the running game that gave us the early 7-3 lead. Crap, we were beat by primarily backups. Ouch, that hurts.