Not making excuses for Mario but....

I'm not super impressed myself. He played better, but was slow off the snap and didn't really create much havoc himself. Hopefully he'll continue to improve over the next few weeks. I still want him on our team vs not, but I haven't really been impressed.

If Mario is so good, then why haven't we won a Superb Owl with him yet?

If Mario is so good, then why have we not had a single winning season with him yet?

Facts are facts. I'm just asking questions. Thinking is hard, and I only know how to piss and moan.

I didn't think he got doubled that many times. Less than half is my guess but maybe I was too freaked out by our success that I wasn't thinking clearly.

He is playing average ball so far but I would still rather have him at that spot on our team over any other free agent that was available this past offseason.

We went out and got the two best DE's on the market in Mario and Anderson. It was the right move for this team.

I don't need to hear the same BS I heard with Schobel...when your paid to get sacks do it.

At least Schoebel got sacks, Don't know what these guys are talking about but he was not getting doubled and trippled all the time, most of the time he was one on one and Winston stoned him. Mario looks very slow, has no explosion off the snap nor power to bull rush tackles, with his size he should be able to throw Tackles by like Reggie White, Paup used to do it Mario should too. To me he looks lackadaisical out there and is not playing with any effort, don't know what is going through his head but so far from training camp to preseason to now he has shown nothing.

He's not paid to get sacks. He's an every down end, not an "x and long" situational pass rusher of a selfish stat whore like JasonAllen who is a liability in the run game because he takes himself out of plays, ignores gap assignments, and loses contain. Mario is the rare athletic specimin who makes everyone around him better increasing overall defensive team production. That's what he's paid for.

and sacks, some pressure would be nice too.

Schobol did get sacks and racked up those stats. But Mario was way more effective today than schobol ever was.

This team should win games, screw the stats.

BS, So far Scoebel played way better than him, Shoebel was no stat whore as we all complained about he never got enough sacks and that's bc he was playing his assignments. Wish we never went 34, then He'd still be here and then we would get some pressure from the End position.

He's not paid to get sacks.

The ignorance tonight is mind boggling.

I agree but we didn't bring him here to be the premier run stuffer in the league :doh:

excuse me but Bruce Smith is a HALL OF FAME DE........

There is Elite DE and then there is HALL of FAME DE.....

Learn the difference

Schrobel was no where near as good against the run.....

We are two games into the season.......

Mario Williams WAS getting multiple blockers several times in the game......

He's not paid to get sacks.

The ignorance tonight is mind boggling.

Some of us who were excited about the M. Williams signing expected his mere presence to pave the way for Dareus and K. Williams to get double-digit sacks and perhaps make the Pro Bowl in the process.

K. Williams already has 2.5, and his "record" is 5.5 in a full season. I couldn't give a rat's you-know-what if M. Williams has a single sack this season, as long as the surrounding cast DOES, in large part because of him.

It's amazing how some on this board think one player's single contribution (or lack thereof) is more important than others (PLURAL) benefiting greatly from said player's presence.

BA

Mario played soft and he was NOT drawing double and triple coverage as frequent as some would suggest on this board. He was a half step behind off the snap on several plays and was outmatched today physically. He spent way to much time waiving his arms around going after balls that were out of reach, time better served with him following through on the play. He is playing like a serviceable DE not a 100 million dollar elite. I agree with Azucho98 "Bruce Smith was often double and triple teamed AND still got sacks....Mario is no where near the caliber of Bruce Smith - an ELITE DE" It is still early so I will give him more time but 100 million dollars? at this point he hasn't earned his money. I desperately want him to prove me wrong, GO BILLS!!!

Azucho98

Bruce wasn't an elite DE. He was the best DE ever to play the game. Just because he's the highest paid defensive player in football doesn't mean he has to be the best defensive player in football. We needed him. We needed to overpay in order to get him. He played a very good game today against a very good RT that practiced against him for years. He will never "earn his money" in the minds of many a fan. He earned his money today. Our D was dominant for most of the game. He played a big part of it.

If you can't see what Mario brings to the line, you must have watched a different game than me. He contains, draws blockers and stands them up. When they ran at his side he doesn't move and gets off his blocks. Wanny needs to blitz a bit more to make the front 4 look better but I think he is worried about coverage if he does. 4 against 5 or 6 is not the only way to do this.

I get why Kelsey is hated by many here, he does lose contain and overcommits at times (and was a horrible fit for a 3/4LB) but he is solid most of the time.

Mario will make plays, and if he doesn't others will because of him being there. No he is not Bruce. This is the best line we have had for a very long time though (I am thinking since the mid 60s, even) and Mario makes it a lot better.

I'm just curious, for those of you that are saying Mario didn't have a big enough impact I have a question for you. When Kyle and Marcel are getting their sacks, who is in the backfield forcing the QB to step up?

He may not be having the visual impact you were hoping for but he's definitely changing the game for the defense. If you aren't willing to acknowledge the plays where he's occupying multiple blockers or the plays where he's being blatantly held then you're being dishonest.

Schobol did get sacks and racked up those stats. But Mario was way more effective today than schobol ever was.

This team should win games, screw the stats.

Huh?

I'm just curious, for those of you that are saying Mario didn't have a big enough impact I have a question for you. When Kyle and Marcel are getting their sacks, who is in the backfield forcing the QB to step up?

He may not be having the visual impact you were hoping for but he's definitely changing the game for the defense. If you aren't willing to acknowledge the plays where he's occupying multiple blockers or the plays where he's being blatantly held then you're being dishonest.

To be fair, one of Kyle's sacks was a coverage sack. Cassell had the ball for like ten minutes before they got to him.

who got the fumble that gave the Bills a TD?

hmmmm..... Double teamed and no sacks? hmmm..

Mario played soft and he was NOT drawing double and triple coverage as frequent as some would suggest on this board

DID YOU SEE THE GAME? DID YOU WATCH the replays and hear the commentary?

You know you can't see everything at the game because you miss the commentary from the TV analysts.

seriously.