Bills DB's physically manhandled by Jets WR's

Jerry Jabber

One thing I noticed a lot yesterday was that a big reason why the Jets WR's were able to get a lot of separation from our DB's was that they were physically dominating our DB's at the line of scrimmage. I don't know how many times I saw a Jets WR pound our DB's at the line of scrimmage and were easily able to gain separation. I know we have young DB's in Williams & Gilmore, but with having a supposedly proven DC in Wannstedt, I can't believe Wannstedt didn't get the DB's ready for that.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Well, that must have been the one adjustment he made, because for a lot of the game he had the DB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage when the Jets were clearly in short timing patterns with minimal qb drops every passing play when it mattered. Really, fantastic coaching from a long-time veteran.

What is going on the secondary?

Between five guys you have 2 first rounds, 2 second rounders. Now either the:

A) The front office badly misjudged the talent when letting Flo go.

B) The scouting department had it all wrong.

C) Coaching is horrible.

D) Game planning is horrible.

Which is it? You can't have that many high round picks on that unit and look that bad.

==============================================================================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephon_Gilmore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Williams_(American_football)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jairus_Byrd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leodis_McKelvin

C&D, if you're going to rely on your front four to get pressure, you gotta do something to disrupt the receivers' routes. right?

i've played/coached/been on the sidelines for exactly 0 years of organized football, so the fact that seems obvious to me, and not to a guy who's been the architect of top-5 NFL defenses doesn't seem to add up...

One of the most unfortunate things is that on the TD in the corner against McKelvin it was probably the first time I actually saw him to and actually look to jump and make a play on the ball. He was a split second late and almost made a great play. I agree the secondary was awful but on 3rd and 6, the play Williams was called for pass INT was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Before some Jets fans saw the flag they were booing Sanchez and thought the pass was defended well.

One of the most unfortunate things is that on the TD in the corner against McKelvin it was probably the first time I actually saw him to and actually look to jump and make a play on the ball. He was a split second late and almost made a great play. I agree the secondary was awful but on 3rd and 6, the play Williams was called for pass INT was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Before some Jets fans saw the flag they were booing Sanchez and thought the pass was defended well.

Meh, the Williams call was ticky-tack, but it wasn't wrong. He had the receivers waist hooked with his off-arm.

Gilmore was a rookie, playing in his 1st game.

I think it was a weird combination of many players believing the hype, and a few newer starters trying to act like they believe the hype, but actually being overwhelmed and tight. They will get better, but I'm not sure it will be good enough, quickly enough.

Oh, and McKelvin is strictly a punt returner...

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Well, that must have been the one adjustment he made, because for a lot of the game he had the DB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage when the Jets were clearly in short timing patterns with minimal qb drops every passing play when it mattered. Really, fantastic coaching from a long-time veteran.

Anyway you look at it, the DB's were absolutely terrible!!!

very surprised at the lack of adjustments by Wannstadt. Is he just as stubborn as Gailey? Was this a "learning experience for the kids.

Even the D line was generic. The Jets passed and we played run.

I agree. Wannstedt had to have known that the Jets were going to throw a lot of sideline & short passes, as well as having Sanchez take 3 step drops to counter the Bills defensive front 4, but yet Wannstedt did nothing to stop it. No stunts, no blitzes, and there looked like there was no halftime adjustments.

One thing I noticed a lot yesterday was that a big reason why the Jets WR's were able to get a lot of separation from our DB's was that they were physically dominating our DB's at the line of scrimmage. I don't know how many times I saw a Jets WR pound our DB's at the line of scrimmage and were easily able to gain separation. I know we have young DB's in Williams & Gilmore, but with having a supposedly proven DC in Wannstedt, I can't believe Wannstedt didn't get the DB's ready for that.

I wouldn't say it was physical manhandling. Most of the time the Jets got separation, it was because or DBs looked confused or were placing themselves poorly for the pass. I do think that we need much more from our DL/blitz so that our DBs can get comfortable. Someone mentioned in another thread that Wilson looks like he's lost a step. If Wilson looks bad next week, want to see if Searcy can do anything. He looked ok in limited time last year.

C and D throw in some rookie jitters and this is what you get. I saw Gilmore look back more than once as if to say where were you Jairus?

I'm not going to make excuses for Gilmore, but Byrd played a terrible game yesterday. He looked lost out there, and it semed that he lined up out of position constantly. I don't know if you can attribute that to coaching or player error. The Bills seemed to play a great deal of zone coverage yesterday, and execution was piss poor. I would like to see a lot more man-to-man, press coverage. We didn't draft these big, physical corners for nothing.

C & D. Wanny should've brought 1000% more blitzes. If Sanchez is gonna find wide open receivers all day, at least pressure him, hurry him, knock him down, anything! I think blitzes were called 2-3 times and none of them were clever or disguised. Honestly, has the Bills D ever looked worse? A weak 4 man rush with everyone wide open, almost every play? Wanny needs to pull a Geoge Costanza and follow the opposite of every instinct he has.

I agree. Wannstedt had to have known that the Jets were going to throw a lot of sideline & short passes, as well as having Sanchez take 3 step drops to counter the Bills defensive front 4, but yet Wannstedt did nothing to stop it. No stunts, no blitzes, and there looked like there was no halftime adjustments.

Probably the most frustrating thing about this team the past several years.. They NEVER make any adjustments during the game.. What you see early is what you get late.. They have way too much faith in a backwards game plan and fail to realize it won't work after going down 21+ points.