Vontaze Burfict makes the Bengals

Kelly the Dog

He kind of reminded me of Brandon Spikes. Neither guy was all that fast or athletic and both had character questions. The thing that is overlooked is their toughness and ability to just play the game. With that being said they are always capable of making poor decisions off the field.

He kind of reminded me of Brandon Spikes. Neither guy was all that fast or athletic and both had character questions. The thing that is overlooked is their toughness and ability to just play the game. With that being said they are always capable of making poor decisions off the field.

Dude Spikes is fine c'mon...considering his childhood he's a stand up guy. Better than almost anyone would be.

Dude Spikes is fine c'mon...considering his childhood he's a stand up guy. Better than almost anyone would be.

Yeah I agree that hes not bad. I read a really great article about his life in espns magazine. I was really commenting on perceived character concerns coming out of college. I think Vontaze has more serious concerns

it makes more sense to draft a guy that went undrafted if he can make the team than to draft a guy and cut him because he didnt make the team. In assuming that he went undrafted so we should have signed him is incorrect because if you do not draft that undrafted player then that undrafted player has no exclusive rights placed on him by your franchise giving the undrafted player freedom to sign elsewhere.

Edited by BILLriant

it makes more sense to draft a guy that went undrafted if he can make the team than to draft a guy and cut him because he didnt make the team. In assuming that he went undrafted so we should have signed him is incorrect because if you do not draft that undrafted player then that undrafted player has no exclusive rights placed on him by your franchise giving the undrafted player freedom to sign elsewhere.

There was not much interest in Vontaze due to his awful combine performance and perceived character issues. Was anyone else interested in him besides the Bengals?

Vontaze DID NOT HAVE CHARACTER ISSUES.

He had on the field issues.

Like multiple stupid personal fouls that cost his team Ws.

Off the field wasn't the issue with Burfict.

On the field was the issue and why all 32 teams didn't want to touch him on draft day.

On the field was the issue and why all 32 teams didn't want to touch him on draft day.

I suppose character could refer to work ethic and temper, on or off field. I know that's a key word for arrests around here though. He was awful on the field, you are correct.

I remember pretty clearly going into the combine Burfict was one of the linebackers who people had slotted all over the place, and everyone wanted to watch and see how high he stacked up - but, his combine performances were so bad that by the end of it, people were saying 6th, 7th rounder, maybe. Then, after a time the draft comes up, and having had that time to forget a little about the combine, people started wondering, during the 5th, 6th rounds - who's going to pick up Burfict? I think it was a bit of a surprise that he didn't get drafted - at least to the general public, and the media. As far as the NFL evaluators, however, they probably have a much less impressionable mindset when it comes to these players - it's all measurables, performance, and character.

And, as far as character is concerned - the Bengals are known to take on risks (I wonder if their overall player-in-trouble-with-the-law statistic is any worse than the NFL average, though - or if it is mostly just percieved risks?).

I remember pretty clearly going into the combine Burfict was one of the linebackers who people had slotted all over the place, and everyone wanted to watch and see how high he stacked up - but, his combine performances were so bad that by the end of it, people were saying 6th, 7th rounder, maybe. Then, after a time the draft comes up, and having had that time to forget a little about the combine, people started wondering, during the 5th, 6th rounds - who's going to pick up Burfict? I think it was a bit of a surprise that he didn't get drafted - at least to the general public, and the media. As far as the NFL evaluators, however, they probably have a much less impressionable mindset when it comes to these players - it's all measurables, performance, and character.

And, as far as character is concerned - the Bengals are known to take on risks (I wonder if their overall player-in-trouble-with-the-law statistic is any worse than the NFL average, though - or if it is mostly just percieved risks?).

I don't think GMs are as swayed by YouTube highlights and cool names. I think the 5.1 40 time, and positive drug test were much more memorable than you like to think.

As for the bengals- they have gotten closer to the norm with regards to arrests. I'd guess high end of the spectrum still but not like a few years ago when they were getting picked up what seemed like weekly.

Edited by NoSaint

Issues off the field with his coaches and teammates

Issues off the field with his coaches and teammates

you mean on the field arguing during a game?

He sucked when he played, he made huge mistakes when he played, didn't take coaching, sucked at the combine.

But he has a cool name and was a high ranking college recruit so lets talk about him.

He did have some nice plays in pre-season for Bungals.

you mean on the field arguing during a game?

He sucked when he played, he made huge mistakes when he played, didn't take coaching, sucked at the combine.

But he has a cool name and was a high ranking college recruit so lets talk about him.

He did have some nice plays in pre-season for Bungals.

I mean reportedly punching a teammate in the locker room, publicly blaming coaches for his down falls

And the first time he costs the Bengals a game, we will have a thread Vontaze released.