Leodis Shines as Nickel CB

If we can get Leodis as a Niickel and retain Scott as a Monster we will be able to have subsets that will be effective. If we run with Scott against the Patriots, for example, as a base defensive we will likely be as effective against the run as keeping our base LB's in the game. We have seen for ourselves that we are having trouble with linebacker and it could be a liability keeping our better athletes off the field, so this is a role that Scott fits.

As for Leodis fitting our Nickel - it would be wonderful to transition to our nickel on passing downs against the Patriots. McKelvin is athletic enough to cover most guys he will line up against at his position.

However, what we will see this year is a "phenom" young Patriots running back. He will be the benefactor of the Pats passing offense and be as much hype as he will be reality. When you have to protect against the most dangerous passing offensive in the NFL you give up protection on the run.

This leads us to our most important issue this year. We face far better RB's then we do QB's. It may be more impotant for us to keep proven, realiable, and consistent DL's this year. Instead of keeping Williams, Anderson, Williams, Kelsay, Dareus on the field 90% of the snaps a game we need to limit them maybe 75%. Especially Kelsay. There are many here who dislike him, but he is an anchor to our defense. In more descriptive terms he is not a cannon, dynamite, tank, or brick wall. He is an anchor - you put him down and you are pretty sure he will hold it down. Playing run defense on the line is like subjecting yourself to a steam roller. As many who know football understand it is when OL must pass defend that they get mauled but run blocking wears down defense. We cannot let our DL get worn out this season and expose our LB's.

I dont like Kelsay much either but I do like how you put that and must agree 100%... :thumbsup:

Exactly right. If you create traffic in the throwing lanes you create reduced visibility, as well. Many people never noticed that our lineman did not even blitz last year they just clogged the lanes and put their hands up. When you have to throw over an 8' tall wall on 60% of your field you have to force passes.

Also, a point on Lloyd is that sure he may get the 50 yard pass play, but it will not always be a TD. I think as many times as not he will draw a long pass on a pass interference - sketchy or not. That is my only worry with Lloyd. Him receiving 1,000 yards is Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Branch, Edelson not getting them. Him catching 100 balls is not something I am worried about because Brady prefers to give his balls to Welker, with Gronk being the benefactor of poor coverage and matchups. If you match up Gronk you can stop the Patriots.

I hope Mario will help with this, I'd like to see him stunt to the middle (or Welker's side) and swat the ball out of the air.

It didn't seem to me that they tried the mush rush much in the second game though, I was a little disappointed since it was pretty effective in the first.

Assuming Aaron Williams is the starter opposite Gilmore come week 1, and Ron Brooks has been playing such good football, why wouldn't he start in the nickle over McLovin? Seems like an awful waste of talent to have Brooks only playing in dime packages, especially since he has seemingly out-performed McFumbles thusfar in this pre-season. The only glimpse of good football I have seen from McKelvin was that forced-fumble against the Vikings, and that was after he was torched by his WR for a large gain.

McKelvin has all the talent in the world. His ball skills (that sounds bad) just suck. But for all the hate he gets, he never once sulked in public after getting benched last year. He busted his butt covering punts and returning kicks. Carlos Rogers was a bust in Washington, then went to a better SF defense and became a pro bowler. You never want to give up on talent too quick.

BOOM!! now were talkin.

Assuming Aaron Williams is the starter opposite Gilmore come week 1, and Ron Brooks has been playing such good football, why wouldn't he start in the nickle over McLovin? Seems like an awful waste of talent to have Brooks only playing in dime packages, especially since he has seemingly out-performed McFumbles thusfar in this pre-season. The only glimpse of good football I have seen from McKelvin was that forced-fumble against the Vikings, and that was after he was torched by his WR for a large gain.

Me and u always disagree on the cb's who should play.....I respect your opinion but mcfumbles as u call him does make plays that go unnoticed that our other CB's cant make.......it seems like only the bad plays get remembered(for good reason sometimes)....95 percent of CB's will have a bad game from time to time as it is a passing league.....brooks should definetly see field as should Williams.....and mckelvin....let there play this season dictate who gets the lions share. It's a new D on the field w lots of talent..... Deion Sanders ain't lockin anyone down with this D over last few years as Brady has 20 secs to pic us apart.......it's a new day boys.....time to crush some skulls......

http://blogs.buffalo...g-as-nickel-cb/

IMO Leodis at nickel will be much improved, his time as TBD whipping boy will end by week 3. He has all world athleticism which should shine on the shorter routes while covering the slot WR's

The McKelvin flamers will flame this post in no time........Meanwhile other subpar performers such as Fitz, Kelsay and "who ate my lunch" Drayton Florence etc will continue to be hero's

President of the McKelvin fan club signing off...........Let's go Defense........Keeeeeeeeeel the jets.......I mean keeeeeeeeel them.....can't wait to see Steven A and Skip break that game down if it turns out the way I envision............as long as Fitz don't INT machine it up....we should be good

He looked good tonight especially on ST, if he he keeps it up we will have to change his name from McFumbles to Leonidas

I can assure you Drayton florence wont be a hero this year as he was released months ago.

classic!! Hahaha

Leodis is solid and will thrive in his new nickel spot. We all will be very happy by week 3 as already stated.

Nothing bad ever came from a player having more motivation, his contract is up after this year. He will play hard seeing as this year is his audition seeking monetary value league wide for his skill set / services.

very true.....but he was terrible last year and got a free pass for some reason....got beat deep easily all day .....guess 1 int vs brady will do that around here....

one pick on Brady lmao. Yes he got beat a few times but never was once out to lunch where he had no chance at making the play. It makes it worse because he is hip to hip with the WR and getting beat, but athletically Leodis is $... Just need to get him on point and he has the skill set to be great. Nickel is where this man can thrive.