Cut Brad Smith

having smith allows us to keep " potential prospects" he is the emergency 3rd qb, special teams, wildcat, rb, wr, etc...

you guys act like everyone should be a star, thats not the point with smith, its being smart about ur roster... ugh

Yep! The NFL allows a team to dress an emergency QB. With Smith, we get to dress an emergency QB, WR and RB all in one guy taking up a spot that doesn't even count against the allowable game day total.

If Fitz or TJack get hurt, Smith won't move up to the #2 position. He's not that good and that's not his role. His role is to be the jack-of-all trades.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting Brad Smith is not going to happen, while he hasnt shown much in a Bills Jersey he is an emergency QB, WR, and KR. Generally the #3 qb is fairly useless anyway if the position is decimated by injuries that much generally a verteran Free Agent is signed and unless its the 1 and 8 billion chance that your #3 is Tom Brady your season is pretty much a wash at that point anyhow,

This is just not accurate. Lets say for arguments sake you keep Roosevelt and not Smith. Are you going with no 3rd QB? Cause now you've just lost a guy who could, in a crunch, play 3rd QB. Lets reverse that situation, the Bills keep Smith and get rid of Roosevelt, they now have a player that can cover both the 3rd QB spot AND the positions Roosevelt played, letting the Bills fill a spot on the team they may not be very deep at. Keeping Roosevelt requires the Bills to either keep an extra QB or attempt to hide one on the practice squad, both occupying a spot that could go to someone else.

My point is i do not think Smith can play QB. He does anymore than the wild cat for a few plays and we are done anyways.

Even if you caut Roosevelt, I'd rather keep Thigpen than Smith, as we'd have a chance to win a game with him playing half of it. not so with Smith.

He didnt look slow when he was wide open on a bomb several yards behind the defensive back that was an easy TD that Thigpen missed.

I thought Bentley and Tasker subtly mentioned how he gave up on the pass as he didn't want to get laid out. Not what I want to see from a guy who should be worried about his job.

My point is i do not think Smith can play QB. He does anymore than the wild cat for a few plays and we are done anyways.

Even if you caut Roosevelt, I'd rather keep Thigpen than Smith, as we'd have a chance to win a game with him playing half of it. not so with Smith.

What part of thigpens play makes you feel like he can win games for us? A few wild cat plays is better than a few pick 6's

I thought Bentley and Tasker subtly mentioned how he gave up on the pass as he didn't want to get laid out. Not what I want to see from a guy who should be worried about his job.

He's probly not worried about his job.

He can play QB better than Roosevelt could and he can also play WR better than Thigpen can. So instead of keeping 2 players, both Thigpen and Roosevelt, to cover two positions, the Bills can keep 1, Brad Smith.

Keeping a younger player who specializes in a specific position is much more likely to lead to something good than counting on Smith. He does nothing above average on the football field. Nothing.

He did nothing last season (or during preseason games this year where you could argue that hardly anyone did anything above average) above average on the football field.

It seems very few can look past last season, his first on a new team with little offseason to work with the coaches and although he wasn't starter caliber at any position last year, he was good enough as a fill-in/reserve player when needed.

The facts are, the coaching staff likes him and his versatility is something that is valuable to this team as it may allow them to keep another specialty player on the roster cause they won't have to worry about having an emergency reserve at another spot. The coaching staff wants to have a WildCat option to run on offence, and they feel that he is the best choice to run it, although read here and listen to the all knowing source of knowledge that is WGR, and you will find out that anyone that can run can effectively run a successful wildcat offence :rolleyes: The caoches have said they were limited in what they could run from teh wildcat last year due to Smith not getting a full offseason with the team and them not having a full offseason to implement it, and this year they plan on using it more.

Young developmental players are what the Practice Squad is for, unless they are going to be used more then what a typical 6th string WR, 3rd string QB, or Special teamer will be used.

All the arguements on the radio this morning and the reason to cut Smith is because of the idea of carrying too many QBs on the roster with none of them being all that great, but thats hardly a reason to cut Smith. Is keeping Thigpen as a 3rd stringer really so much better then Smith? Do you expect that Fitz will get injured and have to come out of the first game and the season will be lost because TJ isn't up to speed on the offence in game 1? If so, theres a much bigger problem here then keeping Smith as the 3rd string Wildcat QB. If your afraid to let Thigpen go because TJ doesn't know the offence well enough yet, and your worried Fitz may get injured in week 1, you should have resolved your backup QB issue prior to training camp, rather then after week 3.

If your keeping a roster spot for Thigpen because your worried that in a game, you could end up having to go to your #3 QB and he might give you a better chance to still come out with a win, you have more problems then you know. The #3 QB spot is considered the "Emergency QB" spot for a reason, you only get down to using them in an emergency to get you through teh rest of the game, its why in the past, most teams had a late round developmental guy whom they wanted to keep on the roster in that spot. If the Bilsl get down in a game to having to rely on Smith to be the #1 QB, the game is already out of hand and your just trying to finish the game without losing anyone else. If Fitz or the #2 go down in a game, the Bills will pick up someone off the street to fill the role, Smith won't become the backup. How many teams have kept around a guy in the #3 spot just in case they lose the 2 guys in front of them? Edited by apuszczalowski

I say cut thigpen...wait on cutting smith until we see who hits the wire...May see something good and think its a better option..I am not excited about any of our backups but I guess no team really should be..Tjax will be fine if Fitz is healthy for the next 3 weeks...cut the fat and move on...

If colt Mccoy is cut I would take him in a heartbeat over both thigpen and Smith...

They did but watch the play again and you'll see that they were wrong.

The ball was WAY overthrown. Zero chance for BS even if he had laid out.

And to say he was scared of a hit from the safety? BS was already PAST the safety and would've scored had TT been able to drop the ball into a HUGE gap in coverage.

I should say BS would've been past the safety with the ball if TT put it in the right spot bc the safety wouldn't have had the angle

I say cut thigpen...wait on cutting smith until we see who hits the wire...May see something good and think its a better option..I am not excited about any of our backups but I guess no team really should be..Tjax will be fine if Fitz is healthy for the next 3 weeks...cut the fat and move on...

If colt Mccoy is cut I would take him in a heartbeat over both thigpen and Smith...

I would take him as a #2 maybe, but what good is it going to be to have him sit on the sidelines every week holding a clip board?

They did but watch the play again and you'll see that they were wrong.

The ball was WAY overthrown. Zero chance for BS even if he had laid out.

And to say he was scared of a hit from the safety? BS was already PAST the safety and

would've scored had TT been able to drop the ball

into a HUGE gap in coverage.

I should say BS would've been past the safety

with the ball if TT put it in the right spot bc the

safety wouldn't have had the angle

Looked like he slowed down to me before the ball got to him.

I would take him as a #2 maybe, but what good is it going to be to have him sit on the sidelines every week holding a clip board?

He has been on a worst team then the bills and posted 14 tds and 11 INTS will no running game or receiver last season...He came from a spread offense in college which is something Chan seems to enjoy plus behind Fitz he has a chance to slow down and learn properly no be thrown to the wolves..I am not saying he is franchise QB but he offers more upside than any of our backups and is currently making 540k this year...not bad compared to brad and thigpen ( unsure on Tjax new salary # ) but it fitz goes down the season is over but why not have a guy like Colt vs Thigpen age and talent I would put Colt higher...Or we can suck out for Barkley

Looked like he slowed down to me before the ball got to him.

Well, maybe, I'd have to see it again. Those were my thoughts while watching the game. It's inconsequential either way.

Even if I'm wrong and Smith did let up and the safety had the angle, I wouldn't blame him if in fact he didn't want to get his head taken off by the safety trying to track down an overthrown ball in a preseason game.

I don't have the preseason replay so if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

Back to the main point, I don't believe for a second Smith's job is in jeopardy. I can understand if someone doesn't like the wildcat for whatever reasons, and I can understand if someone doesn't think Smith is a good player. But there is absolutely not one shred of evidence that points to Smith's job being in jeopardy and there are about a million reasons why he should be and will be kept.

Edited by uncle flap

i say cut brad smith......if he somehow makes the roster....he will be the worst QB on the team, he will be the worst WR on the team, he will be the worst kick returner on the team and he will be the worst RB on the team.

i say they will cut thigpen too......then resign him with the intent of keeping him until tarvaris jackson knows the playbook.

He has been on a worst team then the bills and posted 14 tds and 11 INTS will no running game or receiver last season...He came from a spread offense in college which is something Chan seems to enjoy plus behind Fitz he has a chance to slow down and learn properly no be thrown to the wolves..I am not saying he is franchise QB but he offers more upside than any of our backups and is currently making 540k this year...not bad compared to brad and thigpen ( unsure on Tjax new salary # ) but it fitz goes down the season is over but why not have a guy like Colt vs Thigpen age and talent I would put Colt higher...Or we can suck out for Barkley

Sorry, the last part was about him coming in to replace Smith as a #3. As a #2 I don't see any problems with him to replace Thigpen or jackson except that he would have to learn the play book quickly