WGR 550AM-Lack of Bills talk and the epic discussion about olives

1. who said i got that from Russ?

2. yes, this Rogers story will get me a Pulitzer.

3. you've provided no information in regards to your liking or disliking of olives.

4. the NFL International Committee has already approved the extension of the series for 5 years.

5. what's left is to work out the details between Bills and Rogers.

6. both sides have expressed an interest in renewing the series.

7. i've noted i don't like pineapple on my pizza, also. you?

8. talks were delayed because Bills were busy at training camp, and Rogers folks were busy dealing with Olympic coverage.

9. you already said good night, so why are you still up?

10. really, all this over this one game?

yikes.

jw

1. Who else would you get it from? Ralph? I got it from Brandon, he stammered on aboout it in the winter.

2. Pulitzer ? Obviously just for shock value from an internet poster.

3. I love olives, especially green ones on pizza; Blue cheese stuffed ones in Martinis.

4. The approval is bureaucratic formality what is oof interest is if Roger's goes ahead and continues the series and what cost to them; obviously much less than $78 million, look for it to be cut in half - less than $5 miil / game.

5. The devil is always in the details.

6. Just because they've shown an interest doesn't mean it'll get consumated.

7. No terrible on Pizza; don't put pineapple in Jello either - it won't jell !

8. Find that hard to believe; the people at Rogers who handle the Bills negotiations are totally different than the one's who handle programming. Ropgers is waiting to see how this year's game goes and if the Bills look like they'll stink for the next 5 years. They obviously took a bath on this current agreement.

9. I'm up past my bedtime.

10. Yes, all over one game. Ask Brandon, part of the disappointing season ticket numbers can be traced to the fact that there was an extra pereseason game in the ticket package. Rogers obviously played hardball with him and forced him to announce a non-existant schedule conflict forcing him to take the game back. Call it my theory but it sure looks that way to me.

Unfortunately all this is intertwined, what happens with Rogers impacts the lease negotiations and I am fearfull with no lease in place and Wilson dies (He is 94) this franchise is a goner. Well enough of my internet rant besides my Mom says I have to get off the basement computer.

Good night now zzzzzzz

JW

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Who else would you get it from? Ralph? I got it from Brandon, he stammered on aboout it in the winter.

2. Pulitzer ? Obviously just for shock value from an internet poster.

3. I love olives, especially green ones on pizza; Blue cheese stuffed ones in Martinis.

4. The approval is bureaucratic formality what is oof interest is if Roger's goes ahead and continues the series and what cost to them; obviously much less than $78 million, look for it to be cut in half - less than $5 miil / game.

5. The devil is always in the details.

6. Just because they've shown an interest doesn't mean it'll get consumated.

7. No terrible on Pizza; don't put pineapple in Jello either - it won't jell !

8. Find that hard to believe; the people at Rogers who handle the Bills negotiations are totally different than the one's who handle programming. Ropgers is waiting to see how this year's game goes and if the Bills look like they'll stink for the next 5 years. They obviously took a bath on this current agreement.

9. I'm up past my bedtime.

10. Yes, all over one game. Ask Brandon, part of the disappointing season ticket numbers can be traced to the fact that there was an extra pereseason game in the ticket package. Rogers obviously played hardball with him and forced him to announce a non-existant schedule conflict forcing him to take the game back. Call it my theory but it sure looks that way to me.

Unfortunately all this is intertwined, what happens with Rogers impacts the lease negotiations and I am fearfull with no lease in place and Wilson dies (He is 94) this franchise is a goner. Well enough of my internet rant besides my Mom says I have to get off the basement computer.

Good night now zzzzzzz

JW

as i noted, believe what you want to believe. i've cited facts. you've made allegations. there's a difference, though, it would be too much for me to expect you to accept that.

jw

I don't mind their programming too much. It's certainly not all sports and it's better described as "guy" talk. The parody of the "ESPN coverage of the the Tebow/Trash can story" this morning was very funny, imo. Humor is like that, it doesn't work for everyone. But you would have to be well immersed in sports culture to "get it."

There is less for the 3 to 7 drive time to talk about without actual, meaningful games going on. For consistently good to great local Bills/NFL talk, all the John Murphy Show programming is archived, so if you have access, you can play those back. These run 1:00 to 1:20 because the commercials are removed, if you can believe that.

No doubt, if you tune in for any 20 or 30 minute stretch of time during the morning or afternoon shows, you could totally miss any of the actual "sports talk" they do. But I don't mind hearing talk about fatherhood, poking fun at sports culture, or pretending to have serious thoughts about things that don't really matter (much like professional sports, in general.) By the way, I like black olives on pizza as long as they are more roasted and are far from their waxy, out-of-the-jar incarnation.

as i noted, believe what you want to believe. i've cited facts. you've made allegations. there's a difference, though, it would be too much for me to expect you to accept that.

jw

OK, we'll agree to disagree. My facts there were / are a lot of open dates at the Rogers Centre in August that they could have played a preseason game, that they didn't tells me that something is up.

We're four months away from the lease expiring and the 1 month window for announcing intentions to move to Los Angeles. Both Rogers and Erie County lease negioations appear to be at a severe stand-still right now. Bills fans have to hope that Wilson lives until a lease is signed, if that doesn't happen all bets are off.

Ask Brandon about my allegations, like I've said its all intertwined and the franchise is entering the danger zone for its Buffalo existance. Guys like you and Graham have to pay close attention to this business side of things not who's going to be the sixth WR to make the team.

And when you talk to Schopp tell him to take some economic classes, then he'll be able to understand why a jar of olives are $1.78.

TYVM

i enjoy listening to wgr. there are a number of personalities that are very enjoyable to listen to. some of my favorite moments have been jeremy white and sully absolutely going off on one another. love it when howard gets so mad he is about to explode, and yes, i enjoy mike schopp and the bulldog. you have to cut these guys some slack in regards to all sports all the time. right now there is absolutely nothing but a potential lockout in hockey and in football it is the preseason in all its glory. i understand why many people don't like certain personalities on the radio or television, but you can turn the station instead of listening to something you don't like.

i enjoy listening to wgr. there are a number of personalities that are very enjoyable to listen to. some of my favorite moments have been jeremy white and sully absolutely going off on one another. love it when howard gets so mad he is about to explode, and yes, i enjoy mike schopp and the bulldog. you have to cut these guys some slack in regards to all sports all the time. right now there is absolutely nothing but a potential lockout in hockey and in football it is the preseason in all its glory. i understand why many people don't like certain personalities on the radio or television, but you can turn the station instead of listening to something you don't like.

Seconded. However, Schopp tends to get ridiculous when he ends up on long-winded BIlls rants. If I remember correctly, last summer he pretty much implied that Ralph had to die before this franchise would amount to anything.

That being said, I enjoy the non-sports aspects of the show the most. Yes, I appreciate GR's really solid sports analysis guys (Buscaglia is top-notch and Coach Sal is the man) but Greg Bauch is one of the funniest dudes on the planet and Schopp, Bulldog, and Bauch put together some really good banter. Dan Fisher is also hilarious and the morning show is always really solid.

And don't say you didn't love the animal draft.

OK, we'll agree to disagree. My facts there were / are a lot of open dates at the Rogers Centre in August that they could have played a preseason game, that they didn't tells me that something is up.

We're four months away from the lease expiring and the 1 month window for announcing intentions to move to Los Angeles. Both Rogers and Erie County lease negioations appear to be at a severe stand-still right now. Bills fans have to hope that Wilson lives until a lease is signed, if that doesn't happen all bets are off.

Ask Brandon about my allegations, like I've said its all intertwined and the franchise is entering the danger zone for its Buffalo existance. Guys like you and Graham have to pay close attention to this business side of things not who's going to be the sixth WR to make the team.

And when you talk to Schopp tell him to take some economic classes, then he'll be able to understand why a jar of olives are $1.78.

TYVM

it's the few people like you, who make posting on this board difficult, because it's quite obvious you assume to know the answers, can easily tell me what to do in the convenience of anonymity under the pretense that you have a true bone to pick because, you have a keyboard and an internet connection, and a conspiracy theory that the sky is falling and the worst is yet to come.

don't condescend to me by suggesting what i should and should not do, or suggest to know what i know or don't. and please stop your attempts to provoke me any further because it's an exercise in futility given that i have no respect for you or your opinion given how you came out of the gate attempting to pick a fight by making unsubstantiated allegations and blowhard accusations.

first off, you don't even have a grasp of the facts, because you seem blindly unaware of when the lease actually does expire. it's july 2013. and what proof do you have that the lease negotiations are at "a severe stand-still." Cuomo has finally taken the first step by hiring a point man, and there's no reason to suggest -- or fear-monger, as i allege you are doing -- that there won't be progress in the weeks and months to come.

as for all the other so-called "points" you pretend to make, it's useless to repeat myself. the third preseason game is regarded as the most lucrative, and it's the one that was essentially sold to Rogers as part of the deal. and you're suggestion that i got this information regarding Springsteen from Russ is so far from reality that it underlines how little you pretend to know.

and i hope you're not asking me to reveal sources, here.

go tilt at your windmill alone, or better yet, ask Russ Brandon the questions yourself since you have all the questions and answers all wrapped up in one tidy little bow, and report back to us your findings.

jw

Wow now I know that you don't know what you're talking about. That is a really dumb statement about the end of the lease term Yes it expires in July 31 but for practical purposes it expires as soon as the Jets game ends. You are aware that it could always be terminated in February for the last 10 years, now it can be terminated without a fee.

Big deal that Cuomo hired some over priced lawyer - it just goes to show that these things are at a standstill even though Cuomo hired this guy itll do nothing to change the statewide opposition to spending 220 million on a seldom used stadium housing perennial a loser - that's just the facts.

I could care less who your source on Springsteen is just look at those facts on all the open dates. Ask Brandon or don't you have access to him ? Look the situation is dire, if the team is bad again there will be little public support for the subsidies they're asking for. I can see where you're hoping for the best as your job is gone if they leave but don't attack me for being the messenger I'll say it again if this 94 year old owner dies and there's no lease tieing them here they are gone and from what I see they're a long way away from any type of agreement What happened to the MOU by the end of training camp ?

Do some journalism on the business side rather than figuring out who the sixth wide recover will be !

A poser ? Youre the one who who doesn't even know when in practical terms the lease ends You got to do some homework dude else you just reveal yourself as a fake journalist. Like I said you guys who cover the Bills should be fearful about your jobs past this season just don't take it out on the messenger Your supposed to be a journalist ask Brandon these questions about Rogers and the lease I know Jim Heaney would.

Brad Smith is the third quarterback BTW

I was listening to them on my way home from work yesterday and it was Schopp & the Bulldog.

Wow was it awful. They spent at least 20 minutes talking about olives! why they are so cheap in stores and what olives they like on their pizza better. Green or Black?!

I mean I know its still pre season so there may not be as much Bills topics to discuss but come on!

CBF

Schopp will do anything not to talk about sports.

jw, if you can't / won't or are afraid to ask Brandon what really occurred with Rogers and this preseason game maybe you can get Graham to.

I've heard that he lurks on these Bulletin Boards.

Be a journalist ! Report on the Bills business side it's what is vital !

jw, if you can't / won't or are afraid to ask Brandon what really occurred with Rogers and this preseason game maybe you can get Graham to.

I've heard that he lurks on these Bulletin Boards.

Be a journalist ! Report on the Bills business side it's what is vital !

Go back under your bridge please.

Green olives are better in general but black olives are better on a pizza. That said bacon and banana pepper is about the most gut wrenching and simultaneously best pizza ever. Pineapple is terrible on a pizza but great when fresh cut or in those little fruit cups.

Joe W should have a bunch of warning points by now. Schopp and the Bulldog are annoying but its the middle of August which has to be the worst time to be involved in sports journalism (especially when there isn't Brett Favre to jam down our throats).

John Wawrow thanks for doing what you do. Don't get chased away like so many others who's opines/facts/news/ posts I enjoy and respect.

Lastly (and again), Joe W go back under your bridge please. JW explained the scheduling conflict and why it went down the way it did - sorry it doesn't fit your conspiracy theory but let it go man. For all the good the internet has brought to the world trolling/internet tough guys almost make it not worth it. Damn you Al Gore!

Go back under your bridge please.

Green olives are better in general but black olives are better on a pizza. That said bacon and banana pepper is about the most gut wrenching and simultaneously best pizza ever. Pineapple is terrible on a pizza but great when fresh cut or in those little fruit cups.

Joe W should have a bunch of warning points by now. Schopp and the Bulldog are annoying but its the middle of August which has to be the worst time to be involved in sports journalism (especially when there isn't Brett Favre to jam down our throats).

John Wawrow thanks for doing what you do. Don't get chased away like so many others who's opines/facts/news/ posts I enjoy and respect.

Lastly (and again), Joe W go back under your bridge please. JW explained the scheduling conflict and why it went down the way it did - sorry it doesn't fit your conspiracy theory but let it go man. For all the good the internet has brought to the world trolling/internet tough guys almost make it not worth it. Damn you Al Gore!

I agree with everything there, except the black olives on pizza. Green olives all day, every day.

WGR is a business. There is only one thing that is going to induce change and that's a loss of revenue. If you're unhappy with their programming let their advertisers know it and let the Bills know it. If enough people do it, change will happen. If not, the endless stream of **** will continue.

At least John Murphy's show stays on point but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Andrew peters actually is pretty funny and I enjoy his perspective having been an enforcer in the league usually has an interesting take

Totally agree. I love it when Peters is on. Wish he was on everyday and not just Tuesdays and Thursday's. He's funny and brings a unique perspective and isn't afraid to be self depreciating.

John Murphy's show is by far the best thing that has aired on WGR in the last 10 years. He brings interesting points, does great interviews and knows the Bills and NFL football in general better than probably anybody else on that station. He is always well prepared and delivers a great show. Hopefully his program doesn't end when the season does.

Schopp and Bulldogg could learn a few things from Murphy. There's not much more to say about those two than what's been said already in this thread. They can be the absolute worst at times.

John Murphy's show is by far the best thing that has aired on WGR in the last 10 years. He brings interesting points, does great interviews and knows the Bills and NFL football in general better than probably anybody else on that station. He is always well prepared and delivers a great show. Hopefully his program doesn't end when the season does.

Agreed.

WGR should extend a full time offer to Murph after the season is over. His show is smart, fun, and engaging.

I like those peppers stuffed with provolone and prosciutto. Those are like olives, right?

PTR

Hey they're at the olive bar in wegmans so it works for me. They are my favorite thing at the olive bar "pepper shooters" is the name for them. It's criminal that they cost 7.99 a pound though.

Wait can we be the drive home show on wgr now?

Edited by section122

I know people hate Colin Cowherd, but I heard him describe the Bills today in 3 words: MOST IMPROVED TEAM. It would be nice to hear an opinionated national perspective on our team not named Jim Rome. Can't they move that sylvester show to the evenings? And have it during hockey season? I have zero interest in hockey right now. I'd be curious to see if his ratings resemble my feelings.

I am all for anything that keeps Colin Cowherd off the air...he is the ultimate dip-****. Big whoop! He said the Bills were "most improved"! That is what every ESPN personality is saying rigth now...because they just repeat the same ****, over and over...just wait...if the Bills don't live up to expectations, Cowherd will only mention the Bills, to say they are "irrelvevant" because "small market teams don't matter". Who needs ESPN to validate our team for us?

The show with Sylvester, I agree, is a little tough to listen to in the off-season...but, you do know, the have a Bills show (you know, the team everyone says they "never talk about") in the evening, so moving the Sabres show to the evening wouldn't really work out. Sylvester seems like a good guy, but a little dull...when he co-hosts with Andrew Peters, it is much better. He is only on one day a week...as awful a hockey player as I always thought Peters was (his "fights" were just embarassing), he is pretty funny, and surprisingly quick witted. I would like to hear more Peters, in regards to the Sabres.

It seems like there is a "I hate GR" thread just about every other day. I get the feeling that people are steeped in their positions from years ago. Schopp isn't likely to win anyone over at this point, but, they are doing, in my opinion, a pretty decent job of covering the Bills. I haven't heard Jerry Sullivan on there in some time..,.not sure if he is still on medical leave, or gone for good. A lot has changed. Joe Buscaglia and Sal Cappochio (sp?) are both really good...Howard and Jeremy talk plenty of sports, and almost all of it revolves around Bills & Sabres....honestly, I would much prefer to hear it from Buffalo, than the cozy (clueless) confines of ESPN's Bristol studios.

I am all for anything that keeps Colin Cowherd off the air...he is the ultimate dip-****. Big whoop! He said the Bills were "most improved"! That is what every ESPN personality is saying rigth now...because they just repeat the same ****, over and over...just wait...if the Bills don't live up to expectations, Cowherd will only mention the Bills, to say they are "irrelvevant" because "small market teams don't matter". Who needs ESPN to validate our team for us?

The show with Sylvester, I agree, is a little tough to listen to in the off-season...but, you do know, the have a Bills show (you know, the team everyone says they "never talk about") in the evening, so moving the Sabres show to the evening wouldn't really work out. Sylvester seems like a good guy, but a little dull...when he co-hosts with Andrew Peters, it is much better. He is only on one day a week...as awful a hockey player as I always thought Peters was (his "fights" were just embarassing), he is pretty funny, and surprisingly quick witted. I would like to hear more Peters, in regards to the Sabres.

It seems like there is a "I hate GR" thread just about every other day. I get the feeling that people are steeped in their positions from years ago. Schopp isn't likely to win anyone over at this point, but, they are doing, in my opinion, a pretty decent job of covering the Bills. I haven't heard Jerry Sullivan on there in some time..,.not sure if he is still on medical leave, or gone for good. A lot has changed. Joe Buscaglia and Sal Cappochio (sp?) are both really good...Howard and Jeremy talk plenty of sports, and almost all of it revolves around Bills & Sabres....honestly, I would much prefer to hear it from Buffalo, than the cozy (clueless) confines of ESPN's Bristol studios.

What does this have to do with olives? Please stay on topic. :D

My buddy and i were just saying the other day...how is it that Buffalo can't find anyone better for local sports talk during the afternoon drive. Schopp just sounds dopey and the "Bulldog" can't speak a sentence without saying the word LIKE every other word! It's incredibly bothersome..dude you're a professional on the radio. Stop saying LIKE all the time...you sound like a teenager.

My buddy and i were just saying the other day...how is it that Buffalo can't find anyone better for local sports talk during the afternoon drive. Schopp just sounds dopey and the "Bulldog" can't speak a sentence without saying the word LIKE every other word! It's incredibly bothersome..dude you're a professional on the radio. Stop saying LIKE all the time...you sound like a teenager.

He sounds like Lisa Simpson when she was trying to fit in with the cool kids. "Like you know, whatever. Like you know, whatever."

Edited by biglukes

And he abuses "Ya Know" rather egregiously too. Very annoying. Jerry Sullivan actually asked him on-air whether he ever listens to himself recorded to hear how bad he sounds.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Why do you hate Cowherd? I think a lot of people hate him b/c he has a strong opinion and likes confrontation. People perceive this as arrogance because they don't like confrontation. His opinions are usually backed up by rational, logical thoughts. To an extent, I think that's why a lot of people hate Schopp and generally like Bulldogg, Coach Sal, etc. The problem w/Schopp is his rational for his opinions has too many holes. Oh, and it's obvious he hates his job.

Black olives on pizza, hands down. Now for green olives ... get yourself a can dark red kidney beans. Add some sazon, sofrito, recaito, tomato sauce, jamon seasoning (ham flavored) and a couple tablespoons of chopped green olives. Now you're talkin', baby. That's how I rock olives.

Why do you hate Cowherd? I think a lot of people hate him b/c he has a strong opinion and likes confrontation. People perceive this as arrogance because they don't like confrontation. His opinions are usually backed up by rational, logical thoughts. To an extent, I think that's why a lot of people hate Schopp and generally like Bulldogg, Coach Sal, etc. The problem w/Schopp is his rational for his opinions has too many holes. Oh, and it's obvious he hates his job.

I don't feel like rehashing why I loathe Colin Cowherd so much...I feel like I have spent more time thinking about him than I really want to over the years...I assume you like him, which is fine.

But, did you ever notice how much his opinions shift? He will never admit to being incorrect about anything, I hate hearing about how things are relevant or irrelevant because of ratings, big market, etc...he harps on the same things, every freaking day (yeah, I get it, you have a major boner for Lebron, and Tiger, and anyone who is perceived as the "best" at anything)....to me, he just epitomizes everything bad about ESPN. He isn't particularly knowledgable, he is a front runner (he used to be a Lebron "hater", until he realized he might be pretty good), and he comes up with the worst analogys ever, and just stretches them out until you want to punch the radio/computer... I think he is really bad... I don't mind that he has strong opinions, but I think his opinions are formed not out of any sort of knowledge beyond the surface, but merely for the purpose of disagreeing with what he percieves as "popular opinion" so he can fill 3 hours, or however long, with his incessant blather...

That is why I hate him.

I don't feel like rehashing why I loathe Colin Cowherd so much...I feel like I have spent more time thinking about him than I really want to over the years...I assume you like him, which is fine.

But, did you ever notice how much his opinions shift? He will never admit to being incorrect about anything, I hate hearing about how things are relevant or irrelevant because of ratings, big market, etc...he harps on the same things, every freaking day (yeah, I get it, you have a major boner for Lebron, and Tiger, and anyone who is perceived as the "best" at anything)....to me, he just epitomizes everything bad about ESPN. He isn't particularly knowledgable, he is a front runner (he used to be a Lebron "hater", until he realized he might be pretty good), and he comes up with the worst analogys ever, and just stretches them out until you want to punch the radio/computer... I think he is really bad... I don't mind that he has strong opinions, but I think his opinions are formed not out of any sort of knowledge beyond the surface, but merely for the purpose of disagreeing with what he percieves as "popular opinion" so he can fill 3 hours, or however long, with his incessant blather...

That is why I hate him.

Ratings / market size matter because sports is an entertainment business. Don't lose sight of that, especially at a national level. The Bills will always be David and the Patriots will be Goliath. Cowherd admits to being wrong. They have a whole "Where Colin was right/Where Colin was wrong" segment. Smart people are open to changing their opinions over the course of time. It's because they are constantly re-evaluating and listening to others. My problem is with the classic ESPN talking heads (i.e. Mark Schlereth) who say nothing opinionated or knowledgable, just state the obvious and keep it dumb.