Seau brain was damaged (CTE), family sues NFL

dayman

Interesting write up on a new study about depression in ex-players and how similar to soldiers with PTSD its especially tough because manly men dont talk about things like that.... until something crazy happens. decided to keep the health issues consolidated, and it does touch on seau so im putting it here.

http://deadspin.com/5980984/retired-nfl-players-are-depressed-and-dont-even-know-it-study

Edited by NoSaint

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawks WR Baldwin tweets photo of injury that he missed a game with, was listed questionable:

http://deadspin.com/5986384/gahhh-look-at-this-horrible-injury-suffered-by-seahawks-wide-receiver-doug-baldwin

Not seau related but a lot of health talk in here I figured it was a good spot.

Not even sure what would cause that but it looks horrific.

Edited by NoSaint

• 1 month later...

Seau played pee wee, high school and college football too correct? why isnt his family suing them as well

blaming the NFL is a joke

Thank you!!! He chose to play. With every choice come a consequence.

Its funny that any one of these guys would drop the lawsuit if they had a chance on another NFL roster. Its a joke.

Seau played pee wee, high school and college football too correct? why isnt his family suing them as well

combine those 3 and they wont add up to the number of games played in the nfl. any given one of those nfl games he likely took 5 hits that were bigger than anything he saw in a typical week at a lower level as well...

not to mention, joining the established suit is probably just easier.

Thank you!!! He chose to play. With every choice come a consequence.

Its funny that any one of these guys would drop the lawsuit if they had a chance on another NFL roster. Its a joke.

and the nfl likewise assumed a certain risk by asking guys to walk into a workplace that was dangerous. this isnt the wild west - there are responsibilities that an employer has.

a lot of these guys likely dont belong in the lawsuit, but i suspect that a lot of them do. the nfl didnt live up to the standard of care owed to an employee and some suffered. they might have chosen to play football even if the nfl was honest about the risks but... they might not have. or they mightve stopped early. or they mightve pulled themselves out from the rest of that game that they got their "bell rung" in, and avoided further damage, if they knew the damage they mightve been risking.

Edited by NoSaint

I see this sentiment very often, but I think it's because many people are not quite clear on what the players are suing the NFL for. My understanding was the players are not claiming there is no inherent risk in football. Their claim is the NFL became aware of just how bad the risk was and how debilitating the long term effects could be, and HID that information. They didn't disclose information associated with the risks as they became aware of it. Whether or not these guys assume risks, the argument that "they knew hitting heads all day had to be bad for you" isn't as compelling to me once the actual effects become known. If the NFL knew and chose not to disclose, then they very well should be held liable. Had they been forthcoming, who knows how much sooner work could have begun on finding newer and better ways to produce equipment or reduce repetitive concussions.

I see this sentiment very often, but I think it's because many people are not quite clear on what the players are suing the NFL for. My understanding was the players are not claiming there is no inherent risk in football. Their claim is the NFL became aware of just how bad the risk was and how debilitating the long term effects could be, and HID that information. They didn't disclose information associated with the risks as they became aware of it. Whether or not these guys assume risks, the argument that "they knew hitting heads all day had to be bad for you" isn't as compelling to me once the actual effects become known. If the NFL knew and chose not to disclose, then they very well should be held liable. Had they been forthcoming, who knows how much sooner work could have begun on finding newer and better ways to produce equipment or reduce repetitive concussions.

exactly.

There's in interesting question in there as new and better equipment was developed and players didn't like it. I wonder how that impacts things as well.

It's unfortunate because there are a few guys who the NFL has done wrong morally if not legally, but there seems to be a lot of additional 'me too' going on now.

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is VERY real and based on the way this barbaric game has been played, it will get worse. The people who whine about "The game can't be changed" need to go away- it NEVER should have been played like that to begin with. Those people would have bought a ticket to the coliseum.......

Type A hyper personalities suddenly lose the outlet when football is gone. Their entire life from an early age was centered around the game. When it's gone, it can have devastating effects making them feel lost and purposeless. Add to that any physical damage and its a scenario for deep depression.

Ask anyone who has retired, you go through a period of loss and mourning and then you have to find your new groove. That's why it's best to retire to some new business venture or hobby.

combine those 3 and they wont add up to the number of games played in the nfl. any given one of those nfl games he likely took 5 hits that were bigger than anything he saw in a typical week at a lower level as well...

not to mention, joining the established suit is probably just easier.

and the nfl likewise assumed a certain risk by asking guys to walk into a workplace that was dangerous. this isnt the wild west - there are responsibilities that an employer has.

Addressing the "why don't they sue pee-wee, high school, and college football?"

How much money are you gonna get from a pee-wee football program?

How much money are you gonna get from a high school football program?

How many concussions are suffered by pee-wee football players?

What kind of publicity would a player get from bankrupting a pee-wee or high school football program?

On the other hand, the NCAA could be held liable in some cases where they may have cleared a player who shouldn't have been cleared. Also, the NCAA has tons of money.

This will be difficult to prove. Also, there are legal hurdles to getting this certified as a class action suit, due to the individual nature of the injuries and medical condition and comorbidities of those involved.

Answer this: since we know know as much as we ever have about the dangers of concussions---and they still haven't been able to develop a safer helmet and they still haven't come up with any significant ways to reduce the risk of getting a concussion...what would have changed years ago if all of this info hadn't been "hidden" by the league? The answer has to be...nothing. Nothing would have changed. and very few of these guys would have stopped playing the game.

The reality is that the plaintiff's decision to certify as a class will doom their cause. The NFL will not settle. And the public knows (and any future jury will certainly know) that a small fraction of the 4000 players in the suit are injured. The rest are looking for a settlement. Guys like Pat White will be paraded as opportunists (shamelessly true) and this will cripple this suit. There are just over 7000 living NFL retirees. A huge number, if not the majority, were scrubs who played less than 5 seasons in the NFL. One can easily conclude that many would, like Pat White, jump at the chance at another season in the League after they were released, no matter how starkly the risks were presented to them by the NFL. This is what the case will turn on.