Its time to resign Byrd, Levitre and Urbik

freester

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless Carrington is showing well in camp or the preseason games I believe Johnson and Edwards stick around this year. I can see McGee and Smith getting the axe although I believe McGee's cap # is smaller due to the fact he restructured before the season.

BUT, if they were to cut one or ALL I and used the money to resign 3 STARTERS I would not be upset at all. Johnson and Edwards are making very good money as backups along with Smith. I do not believe there are any CAP penalties for cutting Johnson and/or Edwards either.

Two questions:

1) Why does this need to get done now, given that the Nix/Gailey regime has had zero difficulties re-signing notable FAs like Stevie, Freddie, Kyle Williams, Erik Pears, Chandler, etc.?

2) Why would the team cut players like Johnson, Edwards, and Smith, all of whom can contribute in specific situations and add valuable depth that the team has lacked for a decade?

They will all be UFA at the end of the season. Levitre and Byrd will get huge offers on the market. They are both more highly ranked than Steve Johnson. There is not an endless supply of money to sign everyone and keeping your young homegrown players is essential.

Johnson and Edwards give us one of the deepest lines in the NFL, you don't give that up IMO. Thigpen saves us almost as much money to cut as Johnson does and I think thats one big reason to keep VY over him with everything else being equal.

That plus I believe we have something like 8 million dollars in dead money this year that we won't have to account for next year. We'll be okay cap wise

We may have to shed some salary now to get this done. Potential cuts that would save money include: Spencer Johnson, T. Mcgee, Dwan Edwards, Brad Smith. None of these names would surprise me.

While I'm not questioning your extensive knowledge of the cap and in particular, the Bills situation with the cap, I was hoping you'd share specifics that lead you to believe this has to be done now and those players all need to be cut right now.

Two questions:

1) Why does this need to get done now, given that the Nix/Gailey regime has had zero difficulties re-signing notable FAs like Stevie, Freddie, Kyle Williams, Erik Pears, Chandler, etc.?

Because, you may not understand if you've only seen the Bills FO operate prior to Nix, You sign the players you want to keep the season before they become Free Agents. Thats how the NFL works. The players you don't mind losing or the players you don't believe in long term, those players you let go into the season without any additional years in thier contract.

So the reason you sign Levitre before the season starts is because that is the expectation for every player that wants to stay with their current team and every team that wants to keep their stud players.

There really shouldn't be any questioning of this, Buddy Nix #1 priority right now is sign Levitre before the season starts.

2) Why would the team cut players like Johnson, Edwards, and Smith, all of whom can contribute in specific situations and add valuable depth that the team has lacked for a decade?

Because this is the NFL. If a player is not a special player and there is a younger, cheaper player that can contribute just as much as the non special player. You go younger and cheaper 100% of the time. Thats how the NFL works.

Spencer Johnson is not a special player. Dwan Edwards is not a special player. For the money they make they are definitely on the block for Cap Casualties, if a younger cheaper guy steps up.

Edited by Why So Serious?

On a team that has been decimated by injuries for years, we finally have depth and have to make decisions about which players to keep and making tough roster choices. I see no advantage in cutting Edwards, or Spencer Johnson. Our starting 4 are great, our backup 4 make us deep, able to withstand an injury. You know why the Giants pass rush is so good year in and year out? Because they have 9 guys that can rush the passer, they keep them fresh and rotate them so in the 4th quarter, they can tee off on you. Screw getting younger for the sake of getting younger. In todays NFL you have to win now. give me the best players. We have 9 mil in cap space (IIRC) Its not like were hurting right now. There are many creative ways to get all our guys signed and under the cap

Because this is the NFL. If a player is not a special player and there is a younger, cheaper player that can contribute just as much as the non special player. You go younger and cheaper 100% of the time. Thats how the NFL works.

Spencer Johnson is not a special player. Dwan Edwards is not a special player. For the money they make they are definitely on the block for Cap Casualties, if a younger cheaper guy steps up.

If that's just how the NFL works, then why are guys like Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson, or anybody with a mid-level veteran contract even in the league?

Your statement subsists on the thought that there are only "special" and "non-special" players. As if the only difference between Spencer Johnson and some dude from the practice squad is their contract. What happens if KW gets injured (or just on a game-by-game basis when he needs a spell) and suddenly your DT is the worst player on the field?

Younger and cheaper is better if you KNOW that player can approximate the value of his predecessor. Who's that guy for the Bills?

Because, you may not understand if you've only seen the Bills FO operate prior to Nix, You sign the players you want to keep the season before they become Free Agents. Thats how the NFL works. The players you don't mind losing or the players you don't believe in long term, those players you let go into the season without any additional years in thier contract.

So the reason you sign Levitre before the season starts is because that is the expectation for every player that wants to stay with their current team and every team that wants to keep their stud players.

There really shouldn't be any questioning of this, Buddy Nix #1 priority right now is sign Levitre before the season starts.

That's the problem right there, no one else has stepped up to this point.

Stevie Johnson signed one day before he was going to become an UFA. There is time to get these guys signed. Next year Merriman and possibly Kelsay's contracts come off the books.