the SI article

3rdand12

I just finished reading this article and i had to copy and paste a quote from Mario and Don Banks.

"That's just how I see it. We're going to bring everything we got. Put it that way. Just us four alone. I'm not talking about any others. Us four alone. When we hit the field running, we're going to go full speed.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/08/03/bills-mario-williams-training-camp/index.html#ixzz22WhyAurI Talking about the front four of Williams Williams Dareus and Anderson/Kelsay.

If you get a chance this article is alot of fun

The four DL will occupy at least 6 offensive players.

To me, that's the trick. If our front four can require six blockers on a regular basis (and ATM I dont see how it can't), then we can defend 4 with 7 on the reg.

If there is a team that can block our 4 with their 5 then more power to them. Just not sure who that is right now.

Do any of our division opponents have the kind of OL that can limit this DL to say 1-2 sacks a game with just 5 blockers?

To me, that's the trick. If our front four can require six blockers on a regular basis (and ATM I dont see how it can't), then we can defend 4 with 7 on the reg.

If there is a team that can block our 4 with their 5 then more power to them. Just not sure who that is right now.

Do any of our division opponents have the kind of OL that can limit this DL to say 1-2 sacks a game with just 5 blockers?

The Pats. But only because they're allowed to hold.

I recall hearing Pat Kirwan on 550 radio, yesterday, I believe, saying he thought Kyle Williams and Dareus were the best DT combo in the league, and that this line is absolutely perfect for Wannstedt. He even went so far as to say he thought the whole D-line compared to the very best in the NFL. That says a lot, considering Detroit, Minnesota, and the Giants have D-lines that have more or less dominated games.

I have to say, reading this site for years now, most of the fans here are very cautiously optimistic - we're always hoping the Bills will play to their best potential, but we all know these guys could be as good as we've ever had, and if they stay healthy - all of them, Merriman, too - it could be something even historically special. We the fans know this. I think the big difference, barring injuries, of course, is whether the players want to be that way, as well. It's one thing to go out and have great series. We know they will. It's another matter altogether, a real challenge to discipline and determination, to go out and play at the highest level every series, all game, every game. If they do that, we're in for a special season. And I'm excited now, because it seems like these guys are internally motivated to do just that.

I recall hearing Pat Kirwan on 550 radio, yesterday, I believe, saying he thought Kyle Williams and Dareus were the best DT combo in the league,

Agreed. I remember thinking at the end of last season, before Mario and Anderson were even possibilities, that KW's return was going to give us one of the best interior combos in football. Now that MW and MA are here, it only makes MD and KW that much more dangerous. Prior to the outside guys arriving MD and KW were, on paper, a top 10 interior combo. Now, with outside pressure, they very well may be the best in all of football. Is there a G/C/G combo in football that can take those two out of the game now that we have DEs that need to be accounted for on every play?

Edited by Thurmal34

Me too, watching practice was unfortunately boring, I need to see some helmets cracking and pads popping and tackling :pirate:

Well M.Jasper knocked Eddins helemet clean off in practice i read! Awesome!

The Pats. But only because they're allowed to hold.

LOL

Dave has said recently "as our front four goes so goes the defense. That's the kind of Defense he runs"

Everything i hear from these players sound like they are 100% in.

Like sllib ollaffub points to, our defense could be historical.

And i dont like to get too high, but geez i think i like being excited about our The Bills future!

Go Bills!

Edited by 3rdand12

This is part of the strategy to neutralize the Pats TE threat. If you have to keep six to block four there are seven to cover four in the secondary.....

Correcto! The advantage here is not only that the TE gets taken out of the pass game as a primary receiving option but also depending upon how inventive Wanny is at disguising which side LB may be coming he also takes the RB out of the O plan as a receiver first and blocker may be.

If the Bills can force an opponent into a nax protect mode we gain the initiative even when we are on D.

Just want to second some of these opinions.

I can't help but think that the talent and depth on the front four will make a huge difference. Factor in the size and speed of the secondary with Williams, Gilmore, and Wilson all at 6'0" and close/above 200 lbs, and you're talking about a very physically gifted pass defense.