Harry Reid's Comments

Harry Reid speculated that Mitt Romney hadn't paid taxes for ten years and has refused to substantiate his claim. Has he abused his office, placed it in disgrace and is he guilty of libel? How can this snake actually direct the operations of the Senate? How can even you die hard liberals tolerate his actions? Don't you feel sleazy even being connected to him? How many of you will denounce his comments, and how many of you will side with him or stay silent and quietly agree with his outrageous comments?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Reid speculated that Mitt Romney hadn't paid taxes for ten years and has refused to substantiate his claim. Has he abused his office, placed it in disgrace and is he guilty of libel? How can this snake actually direct the operations of the Senate? How can even you die hard liberals tolerate his actions? Don't you feel sleazy even being connected to him? How many of you will denounce his comments, and how many of you will side with him or stay silent and quietly agree with his outrageous comments?

Wasn't the interview given in his office? If so, he pretty much has carte blanche to say whatever he wants.

U.S. Constitution Article 1 Section 6 Clause 1:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a compensation for their services, to be ascertained by law, and paid out of the treasury of the United States. They shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.

My understanding of that was always that they could say whatever they want as long as they're on the steps or in the Capitol. As soon as they're dumb enough to say something like that outside of the Capitol, they're fair game.

So, was it a sleazy thing to say? Absolutely.

Was it illegal? Very doubtful.

Simple solution for old Wily E. Willard... Just show the tax returns? What's so bad about that... Stick it to his other wacky Mormon brother and make crazy Harry look like a bigger fool? What's he got to hide... Just show something... Even Barry produced a birth certificate.

Oh... Wait, I take the IRS has been a little bit more accurate with their records the last ten years than they were with bith certs 45 years ago.

Come on Mittens... Make him eat his words... Show us what you got... Why is he so afraid and "private?" Let people pour over your records... You are gonna be prez anyway... Stand for something...

I tell you what... Harry "kiss and tells" and Mitt puts out...

Harry Reid has no brain

In fact, Reid has no proof whatsoever that what the unidentified caller allegedly said in that unverified conversation containing the unsubstantiated claim has any merit at all.

{snip}

Reid didn't have time apparently to mention an accurate report that 36 Obama White House aides are $833,000 behind in their taxes, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Nor did Reid explain how the IRS has somehow overlooked a decade of missing tax returns from a multi-millionaire who's this administration's main political opponent. (nor did he explain why he and Nancy Pelosi have refused to release their tax returns.....What are YOU hiding Harry?......Land Deals?)

Andrew Malcolm

Wasn't the interview given in his office? If so, he pretty much has carte blanche to say whatever he wants.

My understanding of that was always that they could say whatever they want as long as they're on the steps or in the Capitol. As soon as they're dumb enough to say something like that outside of the Capitol, they're fair game.

Why is it sleazy? Sleazy to hide behind privacy... ESPECIALLY a presumptive president. Think of it as an interview for a job... The people are the hiring party and they want to see something from the last ten years. There is doubt that Mitt is not telling the truth. Mitt should do like his old man did and make people eat their (Harry's) words!

Good points... I think they should all release their returns and be done with it...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That pertains to actions & statements made in the course of their official duties, which this would not fall under. And even though Romney's a public figure, he could still be liable for slander if his comments were made with reckless disregard for the truth.

Why is it sleazy? Sleazy to hide behind privacy... ESPECIALLY a presumptive president. Think of it as an interview for a job... The people are the hiring party and they want to see something from the last ten years. There is doubt that Mitt is not telling the truth. Mitt should do like his old man did and make people eat their (Harry's) words!

Good points... I think they should all realease their returns and be done with it...

So you don't think that throwing unsubstantiated innuendo around is sleazy? If that's the case, OK. :unsure:

Good points... I think they should all release their returns and be done with it...

For the rather simple fact that it is not necessary to release more.

Get used to disappointment, you and the dem gossipers are on the wrong side on this one.

So you don't think that throwing unsubstantiated innuendo around is sleazy? If that's the case, OK. :unsure:

It's amazing to me that ANY thinking person would find this okay. Its embarrassing on a number of levels. The only two upside is it clearly shows just how desperate the WH is at this point.

No. Not from a sitting US Sen that is simply asking a would be prez to show his tax returns. Maybe it isn't written in the USC... But Congress does control the purse strings of this good nation... I think when a Sen or Congressman asks a simple request to show, the IRS should realease it. This goes for everyone... Including the Wicked Witch of the West, Pelosi... I mean, the returns are a matter of record directly related to who is paying the government. If a Sen can't ask to see that info... Then who can? As voters we are basically Mitt's future boss.

This is a matter of taxes and finances... Again, Barry even produced something that passed muster with his birth cert... Unless, you are the one that says not good enough. Believe me, the IRS has its sh*t together than HI did 2 or so years after being admitted to the Union...

It's no wonder that you are the first libtard to respond and defend such an !@#$ as Harry Reid. Harry Reid made outlandish accusations to further his political goals on the Senate floor as Senate Majority Leader. How can any of you defend him and this tactic? Are you completely devoid of all morals and sense of what is right?

It's amazing to me that ANY thinking person would find this okay. Its embarrassing on a number of levels. The only two upside is it clearly shows just how desperate the WH is at this point.

What is emabarrassing? Mit's refusal... You sure bet it is. Congress has control of the purse strings... They should be able to see everyones... And especially release the info to a person's perspective employer.

It's no wonder that you are the first libtard to respond and defend such an !@#$ as Harry Reid. Harry Reid made outlandish accusations to further his political goals on the Senate floor as Senate Majority Leader. How can any of you defend him and this tactic? Are you completely devoid of all morals and sense of what is right?

Did you miss what I said: As a Sen, it is his job to control the purse strings. Is this (Mitt's taxes) not about gov't revenue and purse strings? AKA: This is Wacky Harry's Job.

What has Mitt been hiding his money in the Kirtland Safety Society?

What is emabarrassing? Mit's refusal... You sure bet it is. Congress has control of the purse strings... They should be able to see everyones... And especially release the info to a person's perspective employer.

What a disconnected argument. Congress controls the purse strings so they should be able to see Romney's tax returns? It must take a special kind of stupid to qualify as an Illinois waterway toll collector.

What a disconnected argument. Congress controls the purse strings so they should be able to see Romney's tax returns? It must take a special kind of stupid to qualify as an Illinois waterway toll collector.

Okay Sparky... Who do you think should see it? Do think a perspective employer should be able to see your tax returns when applying for a job? Especially if you are applying for the lead over the whole tax accounting department.

Maybe... Only the eyes of God and the IRS computers should see it? You gotta be joking. You got nothing but personal attacks. And yes Pelosi should immediately turn over hers... Heck, they all should...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Not just that, EII also thinks that Congress has/should have the right to publicly release those tax returns without permission.

(I'm assuming that by "to that person's prospective employer" EII means the American voters.)

Wow.

:blink:

Just.... Wow.

Romney's reason.... it just brings on more "But... but... but... Don't vote for him! He's RICH!!! When he was a CEO, he earned money!!! And then, he had it paid to him in such a way that he didn't have to pay as much tax. EVILLLLLL!!"

Truth be told, from the top of my head, I can name a string :censored: ing BASEBALL PLAYERS who made more money in ONE contract (not including endorsements or anything else) than Romney did in 20 years in business.

Okay Sparky... Who do you think should see it? Do think a perspective employer should be able to see your tax returns when applying for a job? Especially if you are applying for the lead over the whole tax accounting department.

Maybe... Only the eyes of God and the IRS computers should see it? You gotta be joking. You got nothing but personal attacks. And yes Pelosi should immediately turn over hers... Heck, they all should...

Do you jump on every liberal sham that comes along? Harry Reid, plays his political scheister game and you fall right in line. Should Romney give up his college transcripts if Harry Reid wants to see them? How about his medical records?

Do you jump on every liberal sham that comes along? Harry Reid, plays his political scheister game and you fall right in line. Should Romney give up his college transcripts if Harry Reid wants to see them? How about his medical records?

Sure... Harry shouldn't even have to ask. I am Mitt's perspective employer... If I want to see his college transcripts... Sure. I am like Ralph... Make him take a physical first.

Am I not hiring (voting) for a job?

Not just that, EII also thinks that Congress has/should have the right to publicly release those tax returns without permission.

(I'm assuming that by "to that person's prospective employer" EII means the American voters.)

Wow.

:blink:

Just.... Wow.

Romney's reason.... it just brings on more "But... but... but... Don't vote for him! He's RICH!!! When he was a CEO, he earned money!!! And then, he had it paid to him in such a way that he didn't have to pay as much tax. EVILLLLLL!!"

Truth be told, from the top of my head, I can name a string :censored: ing BASEBALL PLAYERS who made more money in ONE contract (not including endorsements or anything else) than Romney did in 20 years in business.

Stay on topic here. I am Mitt's and Barack's perspective employer... Do I have a right to see these things? Of course I do.

Sorry.

Governor Romney has released the required tax information, for the silly job interview comparison........those with no other way to support their faltering candidate don't get to name any amount of years necessary, just for their own benefit.

The burden of proof is on the accuser..........................................put up or shut up Harry.

Reid, who also refuses to release his own tax returns, isn’t just a hypocrite and a slanderer. He’s also a political idiot. Until these attacks, Romney was on the defensive over his tax returns. Now Romney can paint his decision to keep them private as a principled stand against unscrupulous opponents. Reid has handed the high ground to Romney in this fight with his scurrilous lies. Reid has all but ruined Obama’s strategy of making Romney look secretive and weird.

Ed Morrissey

Sure... Harry shouldn't even have to ask. I am Mitt's perspective employer... If I want to see his college transcripts... Sure. I am like Ralph... Make him take a physical first.

Am I not hiring (voting) for a job?

Stay on topic here. I am Mitt's and Barack's perspective employer... Do I have a right to see these things? Of course I do.

I'm a ship's captain and am considering hiring you to facilitate getting my vessel through the locks. Before I do this not only do I want to see your license, but your test scores when taking the exam. After further consideration, I'd like to see your medical records to make me more comfortable about your ability to stay alive while getting me through. Are you ok with that?