Idiot Media Circular Reasoning...my new "favorite" thing.

Let me draw a picture to define the circular reasoning, since this is apparently too difficult for the media in general to comprehend from mere prose:

Let's do our reports from Jets Training Camp and talk about it 24/7
       	↑                            				↓                                    				
We need to get the "real story"   		We will find out why "people" keep talking about this Tebow Vs. Sanchez thing
  			↑                          	↓   	
     	We have to talk about it, because "people" want to know

The media is either:

1. too dumb to realize that they are the far and away #1 cause of the "hype" they are reporting on

2. too dumb to realize that the Jets are playing them....because the Jets are now the most media attention-needy franchise in all of professional sports(ex-officio, LA Lakers).

The Giants do not help with this issue, but that's hardly cause for this level of TMZ behavior. This entire Tebow thing's a way to sell tickets, get attention, and distract everybody from the fact that their offense...sucks. Just lay it down: they suck. They can't/haven't done anything about the fact that on Sept. 9th, Wayne Hunter lines up against: Mario Williams:lol: Otah didn't pass the physical = back to Carolina. Mangold is one guy, and you need 2 to block Dareus...or Williams...or wait...who gets the double on this down? :lol: Lots of luck with that. Sorry dude, but all the Tebow, wildcat, Rex, media attention, in he world....will not save you from our D line.

3. too willing to go along with #2, because they have misread the national interest and support of this Tebow stuff worse than the misread on Obamacare.

On Sept. 9th, who is going to care about Tebow besides Jets and Bills fans? Even if Sanchez does poorly, and Tebow starts, that can only mean: "Jets in Death Spiral" is the headline. Why will anyone care about a ~2-4 team 6 weeks into the season? Better, will the obvious fan-boys at ESPN want to keep talking...about how bad their team sucks? :lol:

I submit that Hunter vs. Williams, or any other sound pass rusher on the left side, is a massively bigger issue...than Tebow et al will ever be. Cromartie just said "he's the 2nd best WR on the team". :lol: CHAOS! You have to go hunting, or know what you are looking for, to find that story...or the Hunter thing, or the Otah-FAIL. These are "the real stories"....but they are crowded out by Tebow?

So, what happened to "getting the real story", or journalism in general? No. Instead, we get to see replays of Tebow at the goal line. Too bad they will rarely ever get to use that play...because Sanchez got sacked/picked 40-50 yards earlier, they can't run the ball, and they have no WRs that can get open anyway.

The upside? There are a whole lot of Jet fans that are being set up for a giant FAIL...by this ESPN New York idiocy. :lol: Now, short of some violent outbursts in Jersey, that's going to be magically delicious for us.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Here's some circular reasoning for you: I have not turned to ESPN once in the past month and seen them discussing anything football related that wasn't either 1) Jets or 2) P Manning (no exaggeration -- it hasn't happened once). Therefore, I watch ESPN less often. Therefore, I never see them discuss anything except the Jets and Manning.

That aside, as much as I'm anticipating a full blown meltdown, I'm not quite ready to bury a team that has largely dominated the Bills in recent years. Let's hold off on putting the Jets in the rearview mirror until we beat them week 1.

Here's some circular reasoning for you: I have not turned to ESPN once in the past month and seen them discussing anything football related that wasn't either 1) Jets or 2) P Manning (no exaggeration -- it hasn't happened once). Therefore, I watch ESPN less often. Therefore, I never see them discuss anything except the Jets and Manning.

That aside, as much as I'm anticipating a full blown meltdown, I'm not quite ready to bury a team that has largely dominated the Bills in recent years. Let's hold off on putting the Jets in the rearview mirror until we beat them week 1.

Mario Williams Vs. Wayne Hunter.

Cromartie is 2nd best WR

Jets offense can't run ball

3 sets of 5(sorta) words that leave:

Tim Tebow Vs. Mark Sanchez

way.....way.....in the rearview mirror.

I'm not looking past anybody. On the contrary, I'm looking right at them, and, instead of dead people, I see Wayne Hunter. :lol: The question is: why doesn't the media? The first thing I thought of when we got Mario Williams, was Wayne Hunter, then Matt Light retiring and Vollmer's bad back = Hurt Vollmer or 2nd year player at RT, and then Dolphin Rookie. Objectively now, that...is their response to Mario? :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I'm not looking past anybody. On the contrary, I'm looking right at them, and, instead of dead people, I see Wayne Hunter. :lol: The question is: why doesn't the media?

I dunno, but I sure as hell am glad that ESPN didn't set up a two-person sound stage at the Bills training camp so they can hype them 24x7.

As much as I hate to jump on the "Hate ESPN Bandwagon" I have to agree with the OP. It has been nothing but Jets coverage, with a bit of Broncos thrown in.

However, Im fine with it. Keep the spotlights and pressure on the Jets and their "QBs" (I use that term loosely), and let the Bills fly under the radar. Then when we mudstomp them week 1, it will be an even bigger story.

Keep sleeping on the Bills, because they are going to be every team's nightmare this season!!

The other day on the treadmill. I was on for an hour and literally half of Skip Worthless and Stephen A. Smiff were talking about Tebow v. Sanchez, and why is Tebow running around shirtless in the rain (seriously?). Stephen A. is at the Jests camp in Cortland debating the other maroon in the studio. Furthermore, they spend another 10 minutes on Peyton. So 40 out of 60 minutes is spent two football teams during the middle of the Olympics and at the trade deadline in baseball. And to boot, they aren't even talking about what actually happened on the field as much as the media-induced drama behind the scenes on nothing issues like Tebow running shirtless in the rain.

ESPN has become a shell of what it was. I long for the days where they'd cover all sports, and to kill time in the middle of night, they'd play obscure sports like Australian rules football or midget tossing.

. I would love to see all 4 major sports actually get coverage on that network, and could give a crap less about the drama. ESPN needs to go back reporting the news and showing a few highlights/game, and not give any creedence to athletes Tweet's and or if this USA basketball team is better than the Dream Team.

As much as I hate to jump on the "Hate ESPN Bandwagon" I have to agree with the OP. It has been nothing but Jets coverage, with a bit of Broncos thrown in.

However, Im fine with it. Keep the spotlights and pressure on the Jets and their "QBs" (I use that term loosely), and let the Bills fly under the radar. Then when we mudstomp them week 1, it will be an even bigger story.

Keep sleeping on the Bills, because they are going to be every team's nightmare this season!!

This. :thumbsup:

I'm fine with it. The media will be the cause of the Jets meltdown this year. There are too many egos on that team and so much coverage that something will eventually give. It's a good thing for us, let the Jets and their media-whoring coach crumble to the Jets fans and media who WANT a controversy.

Jets talk make me want to puke. I hate em. I hate em worse than the Pats. I really, really want to see the Bills mop the floor with them this year. I can't stand their Coach. I can't stand their quarterback, Cromartie, etc...., etc...... Actually Tebow is the only one on their team I like and I don't think I like him anymore.

ESPN is the "Entertainment Tonight" (or People Magazine, if you will) of sports journalism (with added smug self-importance.)

Exactly. It's designed for people who care more about entertainment (and consider slam dunks, touchdown dances and endless Tebow discussion to be entertaining) than sports.

Once the internet came along and real sports fans could get news and information more quickly via the web, ESPN realized they needed to appeal to the 'Entertainment Tonight' demographic.

Let me draw a picture to define the circular reasoning, since this is apparently too difficult for the media in general to comprehend from mere prose:

Let's do our reports from Jets Training Camp and talk about it 24/7
       	↑                            				↓                                    				
We need to get the "real story"   		We will find out why "people" keep talking about this Tebow Vs. Sanchez thing
  			↑                          	↓   	
     	We have to talk about it, because "people" want to know

The hype doesn't bother me half as much as the circular nature regarding free agency rumors or everyones favorite story, which team is moving to LA.

It always starts with an ESPN or SI article where 5 candidates are named as possibilities, pure speculation. This story is then covered by local news outlets in the cities most affected and repackaged as "XYZ is a leading candidate to move to LA", which continues to get more and more declarative until some nobody on twitter says "Buffalo moving to LA in 2013". This tweet leads to 100 stories over night as "unnamed sources" say Buffalo moves to LA. ESPN then picks up the non-story as "many media outlets reporting that Buffalo is moving to LA" and effectively covers the reaction to their own puff piece.

This cycle can resume 6 months later when some internet sleuth finds an article mentioning wild rumors and unconfirmed sources in some backwoods paper and presents it as new info leading to new tweets, new rumors, and ESPN leading the charge.

To be clear - NFLN is doing the same thing, only even more inanely if that's possible. They add on to it my spending what time remains after Jets coverage talking about Dolphins camp.

Rich Eisen chimed in briefly with one of the more ridiculous comments when they actually mentioned the Jets week one opponents:

"The Bills will have to worry about the matchup problems the Jets create now that they've added (rookie DE) Coples."

Yes, Rich - in the week one Bills @ Jets game, the big pass-rush matchup we'll all be focused on will not be Mario Williams vs. Wayne Hunter, but in fact is a rookie DE for the Jets against the OL (and QB) that gave up the fewest sacks in the league last year.

These guys don't even try to make sense.

i dont know that they are sleeping on the bills as much as the Tebow ratings bump is UNREAL when you see the tracking on espn shows. they arent in the business of covering the best teams, they are in the business of getting the most viewers. the daily conversation of tebow on every message board is indicative of just how compelling he is to every fan base, love him or hate him.

i could start a thread on this board with interesting information about san diego, or KC, or any number of teams that we will really be fighting with wildcard spots for potentially and they would die quick, while tebow running in the rain gets a 10 page thread that runs for weeks.

all that said, ive heard a lot of good comments about us, and i think we are a pretty hot pick for a turn around team this year that could make A LOT of noise. that story doesnt hook viewers though so they move on quickly.