FA Safety Jim Leonhard Visiting Bills

The issue is not at all how Leonard compares to Ed Reed, Wilson, Byrd or any oher staring safety. The question is how he compares to Joshua Nesbitt, Nick Saenz, Nick Sukay and Delano Howell. I don't see any issues with signing him to a low/no bonus deal to let him compete for the backup spot. And yes, Dadonkadonk, I'd only do it if he can actually run.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just weird. I made a list of our final roster a couple of days ago and I had Leonhard on it.

2012 Buffalo Bills

My projected 53 man roster

QB (3)

Fitzpatrick

Young

Smith

RB (4)

Jackson

Spiller

Choice

McIntyre

WR (6)

Johnson

Jones

Nelson

Graham

Easley

Hagan

TE (3)

Chandler

Smith

Dickerson

OL (10)

Glenn

Levitre

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston

Young

Rhinehart

Sanders

Sanborn

DL(9)

Williams

Anderson

Kelsay

Merrimen

Dareus

Williams

Edwards

Heard

Carrington

LB (7)

Barnett

Sheppard

Morrison

Carder

Moats

Bradham

DB (9)

Williams

Gilmore

Byrd

Williams

Brooks

McKelvin

Rogers

Searcy

Leonhard

K/P(2)

Lindell

Moorman

Just for playing, we'll throw in 1 linebacker of your choice!.. and who's the 2nd Williams at Dback again?

Edited by madtowntobuffalo

Omg!!! Way Would espn be able to say about him and the Bills if we picked him up? For years I've read and heard nothing it straight man lobe for Leonard as he was on the Jets and the Ravens. I wonder if they change thier tunes and downplay him of Biffalo picks him up or if they continue to praise the Bills for making great offseason moves.

Fwiw I personally rhino he would be a fine backup but that's about it as he's been dinges up as of recent.

"me learn how type today"-mr rags

That's just weird. I made a list of our final roster a couple of days ago and I had Leonhard on it.

2012 Buffalo Bills

My projected 53 man roster 

QB (3)

Fitzpatrick

Young

Smith

RB (4)

Jackson 

Spiller 

Choice

McIntyre

WR (6)

Johnson

Jones

Nelson

Graham

Easley

Hagan

TE (3)

Chandler

Smith

Dickerson

OL (10)

Glenn

Levitre

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston

Young

Rhinehart

Sanders

Sanborn

DL(9)

Williams

Anderson

Kelsay

Merrimen

Dareus

Williams

Edwards 

Heard 

Carrington

LB (7)

Barnett

Sheppard

Morrison

Carder

Moats 

Bradham

DB (9)

Williams

Gilmore

Byrd

Williams

Brooks

McKelvin

Rogers

Searcy

Leonhard

K/P(2)

Lindell

Moorman

In total agreement here.

Just for playing, we'll throw in 1 linebacker of your choice!.. and who's the 2nd Williams at Dback again?

I meant to say Wilson instead of Williams, a previous poster pointed that mistake out earlier in the thread. If I can change anything I'd add Scott and Spencer Johnson and remove Dwan Edwards and Kellen Heard. The latter because of injury. KH uis a candidate for the I/R.

Edited by NoJustice

Another ST stud as well, don't forget.

Exactly, blue Leonhard seems like a guy that will be taking the coaching path after his NFL career is over.

What better way than to help George Wilson coach up Byrd and Searcy and contribute to the team on Special Teams.

Plus he is a fan favorite.

If he can actually still play and rehabbed after the injury it seems like a perfect fit.

My concern with Leonhard would be with his speed after the injury. He already was marginal, if injury/age has caused him to lose a step, he will be a liability when on the field. Personally would rather see a younger player win the job, but if they don't have any younger players that they think can, bringing him in wouldn't be bad idea.

Edited by rstencel

My concern with Leonhard would be with his speed after the injury. He already was marginal, if injury/age has caused him to lose a step, he will be a liability when on the field. Personally would rather see a younger player win the job, but if they don't have any younger players that they think can, bringing him in wouldn't be bad idea.

If they sign him, which they likely will if he passes his physical and can show he is close to 100% healed and ready to go (which he says he is), we still would be able to wait for him to recover. He would be the #4 safety. Two guys would have to go down before he was forced to play. Because Wilson, and even Byrd if he had to, can play both safety spots, Searcy would be the next in regardless of whether Wilson or Byrd went down. We could very likely wait another month before Leonhard would ever see the field.

Let's hope they sign him and he never plays though.

Guys he tore his patellar tendon in Dec 2011. He will be lucky to be able to jog by November. Very little if any chance he plays with any team in 2012. Even if healthy I don't see a role for him. He is not needed for ST's as a returner or a gunner. He will not beat out Searcy for back-up playing time or three safety packages. With Scott being able to play both OLB and SS and both Wilson and Searcy being able to play SS and FS I don't see a need for another safety. I would rather keep an extra DB even if it is a less than 100% McGee.

McGee had the same injury at about the same time so they’re probably on about the same pace to recovery…which doesn’t bode well for JL getting signed at this point but you never know, people do heal differently.

We cut JL because we had an up and coming safety named Ko Simpson. :doh: If healthy enough to contribute, signing JL would be a good for depth. I haven’t seen enough out of Searcy to know if we can count on him if Wilson or Byrd goes down. JL could pick up our defense in no time so even if we waited awhile to sign him, the lost time wouldn’t hurt him too badly.

Since we are thin at safety and looks like we might have to cut a decent CB, I wonder if McGee could play FS?

I think its pretty much a done deal that the Bills are going to bring him into camp. Obviously its going to be a camp tryout with no penalty of cutting him in the final cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the Bills scour the waiver wire for a veteran LB as a back up ESP if we suffer an injury there.

My point was that you only listed 6 linebackers, so you get a free pick! It's like found money.

I finally see the light!!! LOL, I only had 52 players listed. Add Scott and Spence and remove Dwan or IR Heard.

Omg!!! Way Would espn be able to say about him and the Bills if we picked him up? For years I've read and heard nothing it straight man lobe for Leonard as he was on the Jets and the Ravens. I wonder if they change thier tunes and downplay him of Biffalo picks him up or if they continue to praise the Bills for making great offseason moves.

Fwiw I personally rhino he would be a fine backup but that's about it as he's been dinges up as of recent.

Your autocorrect is drunk.

as a backup if hes healthy sure I still don't understand the love affair with the guy though. He was awful when he was here. Consistenly behind in coverage and slow to react, and the only reason he ever started with the ravens is cause Dawan Landry was hurt. He wasn't all that good with the Jets either. Not bad for a depth player. As a special teams player for the Bills he's kind of useless. He's not gonna be a punt returner here. He's a ok tackler in the run game when he keeps the play infront of him. In coverage a liability.

I don't recall him being as bad as you state, although I have no actual statistics to support my argument.

You seem to have a better grasp of what he did or did not accomplish with the Bills, but I cannnot agree

with you about the Jets at all. Man that guy was always around the ball for them, and made a ton of key

amd timely plays for them, and to me he seems like the perfect lead by example with a ton of heart guy who

can really make anybody's roster that much better.

Bring him back Chix!!

Edited by Tu-Toned