You want a position to worry about?

I think it has more to do with VY having one of the lowest Wonderlic scores ever at the combine, but I guess its easier to just say that its because of the colour of his skin as to why people think he isn't smart

Thigpen ain't exactly splitting the atom out there either.

PTR

I agree 100%. I heard that in DC, Mike Shannahan hired a local rapper to come in and translate the playbook for RG III because he couldn't understand anything unless it was translated into urban slang for him. Being that he's regarded as so unintelligent and everything.

:)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Thig...but he's done nothing to separate himself from VY after being the offense and me having seen him play a little (only a little)...there is no way he wins the job. If Fitz goes down it'll be roll the dice on whatever the offense can do with VY whatever that may be and regardless of how different it looks from what we ordinarily try to do.

Hilarious to worry about backup QB when the starter has only led the team to 10 wins over the last 2 seasons. Big Deal.

The failure of the Bills in the past seasons is a collective effort..You can't pin all the blame on those losses on Fitz's back...When your run defense sucks and is the worst in the league, you are already playing down by 7 points.

So let me get this straight...If Chan is so smart can't these other QBs run his offense? Uhhhh, maybe because they couldn't...and that's why they aren't here anymore?

You may have hit on the very reason Fitz is our starter.

So instead of making your offense harder to gameplan against, make it easier? And that is better how?

PTR

Whats with you PTR?

You call the guy megamind like he has accomplished something brilliant, and yet he has done nothing that Perry Fewell had already done the year previous in naming Fitz the starter over Edwards after he took over from Jauron. Don't forget that megamind CHOSE Edwards over Fitz in the preseason and started him in the regular season 2010 OVER Fitz !!!

The mere fact that Chan Gailey stated in the 2010 preseason that Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick were all about equal, and then started Edwards in 2010 showed me that Chan Gailey is anything but a megamind

Megamind has won fewer games then the known moron Jauron, and he managed to do it with 2 broken QB's in Losman and Edwards. Megamind was also responsible for the switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and hiring a complete buffoon in George Edwards to run his defense. Then, even after his 1st year defense managed to become the worst defense in the 50 year history of the franchise he still kept him as his DC the next year.

I'd still like to know why Tyler Thigpen can't get this offense yet, considering that Gailey spent an entire year with him back in 08 at KC. This tells me that Gailey can't teach what Fitz knows as he failed in 6 other QB's so far.

To the last bolded part. Look what happened to the 49ers last season with a new HC and staff during a year with no off season workouts, no mini camps, a very short period of time to install a new offensive game plan. They simplified the offense for a QB that had a history of failure and yet the team went 12-4. Sometimes its smarter to simplify things and make it easier for the players to learn a limited number of plays so they can execute them perfectly. Bill Parcells stated that after his OC would install the game plan he would throw away all but about 25 plays that his QB felt comfortable with.

So simplifying the game plan for the back up or rookie QB is not unheard of and happens all the time.

Should you continue on this path of being Iridium minded on this subject I shall be forced to invoke SJBF's rule #2.

Whats with you PTR?

You call the guy megamind like he has accomplished something brilliant, and yet he has done nothing that Perry Fewell had already done the year previous in naming Fitz the starter over Edwards after he took over from Jauron. Don't forget that megamind CHOSE Edwards over Fitz in the preseason and started him in the regular season 2010 OVER Fitz !!!

The mere fact that Chan Gailey stated in the 2010 preseason that Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick were all about equal, and then started Edwards in 2010 showed me that Chan Gailey is anything but a megamind

You have a valid point that in football, the "baby" is winning and so far Chan hasn't shown as much as Jauron in that area. And that's the fact. As is the fact that George Edwards did not seem to be the right guy for the job.

The QB analysis I think, goes more to show that it's hard to assess game-day qualities in shorts and during preseason. Both for better and for worse. The QB'ing in 2010 may also show that Gailey is "crazy like a fox". He had to build trust with Wilson and the FO. If he'd simply started Fitz, there would have been second-guessing all around esp when the team lost. Edwards started 2 games, and there was unanimous howling to get him out esp. when Fitz played better with the same guys. Still, all season there was an undercurrent of "Brohm, brohm, brohm". Gailey gave him a game, and there was no repining when he flew out of town (and where is he now?)

Should you continue on this path of being Iridium minded on this subject I shall be forced to invoke SJBF's rule #2.

This phrase inspired me to respond here. Explain or link please?

I do think the phrase "good is the enemy of great" does apply here. I think Jauron managed to take the cast of characters he had and get us to be "good" but we were never going to be "better".

Gailey came in and shook everything up and it caused us to regress for a while, but does anyone think the ceiling doesn't look higher now?

Edited by Hopeful

So instead of making your offense harder to gameplan against, make it easier? And that is better how?

Assuming you buy into the theory that the Bills offense is so complex that it takes a megamind to understand and execute it (which I do not, but just for the sake of discussion), the reason to dumb it down is very simple. Football players, with very few exceptions (Fitz being one), are physically gifted, but dumb. If Fitz is the only player on the team capable of grasping the scheme, the Bills are doomed. It's not just the QB that has to understand the system, the entire offense does. Add to that the possibility that Fitz could be injured for a couple games and the Bills would be lucky to get 5 wins (hey wait, how many wins did they average per season so far with Gailey in charge ??? ;) ).

Just to clear the air, a quote by NFL spokesman Steve Alic: "I can tell you absolutely that the score that has been reported on the Internet is inaccurate. I spoke to the person who graded the test, and he assured me that that number was not correct."[35] The next day, the test was properly readministered and Young scored a 16, the same as Dan Marino."

I think a good comparison is Kordell Stewart due to his obvious scrambling abilities and comparable wonderlic score of 14. This is what Kordell did in the year that Chan was his OC.

Passing:

54% cmp% 3020 yds 21 TDs 17 INTs

Rushing:

88 att 476 yds 5.4 avg 11 TDs

If anything, Vince is a superior passer to Kordell, so I think its reasonable to expect that he could put up similar numbers if he started a whole season.

Assuming you buy into the theory that the Bills offense is so complex that it takes a megamind to understand and execute it (which I do not, but just for the sake of discussion), the reason to dumb it down is very simple. Football players, with very few exceptions (Fitz being one), are physically gifted, but dumb. If Fitz is the only player on the team capable of grasping the scheme, the Bills are doomed. It's not just the QB that has to understand the system, the entire offense does. Add to that the possibility that Fitz could be injured for a couple games and the Bills would be lucky to get 5 wins (hey wait, how many wins did they average per season so far with Gailey in charge ??? ;) ).

Also, it is widely known that Cam Newton was dealing with a simplified version of the Panthers playbook last year, which allowed him to fully grasp what he was working on and play with confidence because he actually knew all of the plays he was going to be running during a game. That's an example of a good time to "dumb down" your playbook and how it can be successful.

Based on Chris Brown's practice notes, I'm more worried about LT. He wrote that Gailey "didn't sound all that pleased" with how things were going and from the other camp reports is appears that both Hairston and Glenn have been getting worked by the DL.

Getting worked by the defensive ends on this team isn't necssarily an indictment of poor blocking skills.

I am not about to call it steel sharpening steel between our LTs and DEs, but with a little time and as it was previously mentioned, 4 preseason games and 6 weeks, I think LT will be fine.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

There's a theory that Fitz's cracked ribs effectively ended a good season last year. IMO if the exact same thing was to happen this year, but with a healthy VY to step in, the results would be much better. The blockers have to block and the receivers have to catch the ball. The RBs have to run hard. If all that is going on then the offense won't drop off much even if Vince only knows 70% of the playbook. I may be wrong, but I don't think any VY quarterbacked team has ever lost 4 games in a row with him as a starter.

Of course he has to beat out Thigpen just to earn the right to sit on the bench. If he does I think the Bills have the best 2nd team QB in the league.

You have a valid point that in football, the "baby" is winning and so far Chan hasn't shown as much as Jauron in that area. And that's the fact. As is the fact that George Edwards did not seem to be the right guy for the job.

The QB analysis I think, goes more to show that it's hard to assess game-day qualities in shorts and during preseason. Both for better and for worse. The QB'ing in 2010 may also show that Gailey is "crazy like a fox". He had to build trust with Wilson and the FO. If he'd simply started Fitz, there would have been second-guessing all around esp when the team lost. Edwards started 2 games, and there was unanimous howling to get him out esp. when Fitz played better with the same guys. Still, all season there was an undercurrent of "Brohm, brohm, brohm". Gailey gave him a game, and there was no repining when he flew out of town (and where is he now?)

This phrase inspired me to respond here. Explain or link please?

I do think the phrase "good is the enemy of great" does apply here. I think Jauron managed to take the cast of characters he had and get us to be "good" but we were never going to be "better".

Gailey came in and shook everything up and it caused us to regress for a while, but does anyone think the ceiling doesn't look higher now?

Get a grip willya...

The preseason is where you watch the players and determine if they are capable of doing the required job at their respective position. Chan Gailey had 4 preseason games to watch Edwards, Fitz, Brohm and he started Edwards. He chose Edwards because he obviously thought Edwards was the better QB. At the NFL level you don't try the guy you think is the second or third player to give them a shot. You start the guy who you think can play the best and win games for you.

http://forums.twobil...es/page__st__40

Bills are instantly better if they name Young the starter at QB.

How moronic!

Yea, tell that to Andy Reid. How dare he keep Trent Edwards on the roster and dump Vince Young :lol:

I actually think Vince Young may not be that intelligent. Not stereotyping. I think he'll win the backup job because he's shown he's a winner and with some reps will probably get his confidence back. We honestly may have to simplify the playbook if Fitz were to get hurt and Young had to come in. I think Young, with the coaches and teammates supporting him, will do fine.

Racist!

Don't worry about it. coaches say all kinds of things. They are usually doing more than just answering a reporters question.

Nooo...Chan's a straight shooter when it comes to answering questions. When things are going well, he'll admit it. When thigns are going bad he'll say it. He doesn't beat around the bush like most other coaches and doesn't sugar coat things. From what I've taken from his interviews is that he's not satisfied with the number 2 WR, QB and LT spots. Not good.