US Olympic Men's Basketball Team

jumbalaya

I would rather see our Olympic Men's team comprised on US collegians struggle and lose than watch these overpaid pro players in the Olympics. There is something totally wrong with allowing these guys on the team. I would rather watch re-runs of Rin Tin Tin than these jokers. Their presence on the team has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with exposure in front of the camera. I was pulling for Angola to beat them and will cheer for every team that plays them. Their presence on the olympic team is a national disgrace.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're forgetting that the reason we have our professionals competing is because of the need to compete against other teams' professionals in the Olympics. I don't necessarily mind limiting it to collegians just so long as we lose the pretext of having to send our best in order to compete at the highest level of international competition.

I think it was more fun to watch the college kids.

College ball has it all over pro ball anyway. But our kids would get their asses handed to them by very good teams at the Olympics. They'd be hard-pressed to medal at all let alone win a gold.

I would rather see our Olympic Men's team comprised on US collegians struggle and lose than watch these overpaid pro players in the Olympics. There is something totally wrong with allowing these guys on the team. I would rather watch re-runs of Rin Tin Tin than these jokers. Their presence on the team has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with exposure in front of the camera. I was pulling for Angola to beat them and will cheer for every team that plays them. Their presence on the olympic team is a national disgrace.

I have said the same thing going back to the original dream team. It's made bball in the olympics extraordinarily lame. There's no real satisfaction in pounding teams by 40 points with 10 all-star players.

There's something more special and "right" about collegiate players playing. And with all the stud college players we have now, I am fairly certain we could compete.

I miss the old days too regarding Olympic b-ball (and hockey) but the fact is basketball has become a global game in the past 20 years so there's no reasonable way for the US to forgo pros when so many other countries have top flight talent. It's up to the IOC to change the eligibility rules but that will never happen because of $.

I have said the same thing going back to the original dream team. It's made bball in the olympics extraordinarily lame. There's no real satisfaction in pounding teams by 40 points with 10 all-star players.

There's something more special and "right" about collegiate players playing. And with all the stud college players we have now, I am fairly certain we could compete.

Unlike pro sports leagues, the Olympics have nothing to do with parity IMO. If the other teams get crushed, they get crushed. It's our best vs. their best.

The Chinese dominate diving, South Koreans dominate speed skating, Kenyans dominate long distance running. I don't see any of those nations evening the playing field by sending their "B" teams.

You wow pretty easy. What's wrong with keeping it amateur?

Amateur? The Olympics haven't been "amateur" since before the 1936 games. Hitler and the Nazi regime heavily subsidized their athletes as did the communist bloc countries after them. Their athletes were paid to train and prepare for the sports they competed in. To be the best those countries had to offer. I have no problem sending only amateurs but if the IOC couldn't guarantee that every country would abide by the same rules, it would only be a matter of time before we all grew tired of not being able to see our best compete. Just like before.

The 'way it was' was never so scientifically & technologically intense. A true amateur could never afford the quality training required to keep pace with the rest of the worlds athletes.

Not till the olympic's are over. Then you're done, no longer a amateur, That's the way it was.

Amateur? The Olympics haven't been "amateur" since before the 1936 games. Hitler and the Nazi regime heavily subsidized their athletes as did the communist bloc countries after them. Their athletes were paid to train and prepare for the sports they competed in. To be the best those countries had to offer. I have no problem sending only amateurs but if the IOC couldn't guarantee that every country would abide by the same rules, it would only be a matter of time before we all grew tired of not being able to see our best compete. Just like before.

Which is a major reason I like a lot of the simple sports. Wrestling is a great example. It is more popular in other countries, but here in the US you get $250,000 if you win gold, $50,000 if you get silver. When you win the debate is not over a deduction on a landing, or free throw from a laydown foul. At the end of the day these are guys we do not see on a television [unless you really loook for them] competing in a sport that focus on training where you do not need the most advanced equipment or high tech gear. Wrestling is a mans sport.

Then how did we win the 1980 hockey gold? And why is it so much more memorable to us than a NBA players win? I know the communist bloc cheated, it was a cold war thing. But they are gone, Make it amateur again.

You wow pretty easy. What's wrong with keeping it amateur?

The wow was more towards the national disgrace. Even saying the NBA guys are all about exposure is a stretch. These guys don't need exposure, they could easily enjoy their summer off and live the high life.

I'm the last person to defend NBA players, I never watch, only college ball for me. But the olympics are about the best athletes in the world, so why shouldn't they play? They look like they're actually enjoying it too, unlike the selfish punks from 2004.

Then how did we win the 1980 hockey gold? And why is it so much more memorable to us than a NBA players win? I know the communist bloc cheated, it was a cold war thing. But they are gone, Make it amateur again.

Do you really think China would keep it amateur?

I'm not saying don't let our amateurs compete. I'm saying it's not realistic that every country in the world would abide by the same rules. And that it would only be a matter of time before everyone is up in arms again about not sending our best to the games.

Winning the gold medal in 1980 was a beautiful thing. A once in a lifetime achievement. Once in a lifetime. More memorable simply because of the sheer improbability of winning it. That Soviet Team was the greatest hockey team in the world at the time. It's easy to say, but not too many would argue that if we played them another 99 times we wouldn't have won another game against them.

1343782514[/url]' post='2518014']

I miss the old days too regarding Olympic b-ball (and hockey) but the fact is basketball has become a global game in the past 20 years so there's no reasonable way for the US to forgo pros when so many other countries have top flight talent. It's up to the IOC to change the eligibility rules but that will never happen because of $.

They changed the men's soccer eligibility rules this year to 2 players over age 23'and everyone else under. It gutted the talent and interest in Olympic soccer and that's way more popular than hoops. The IOC could change the rules.

Then how did we win the 1980 hockey gold?

The trap... Right place and right time... Will never happen like that again... The Soviets didn't know what hit them till it was too late. Great for the Americans... Hockey by nature is a very flukey game too...

Not being unpatriotric... But take it for what it was... Soviets were ripe for the picking... Brooks saw a kink and exploited it...