Rex says Tebow throws better than Brad Smith

One of the reasons i suspect that Brad has been in the redshirt is that he will be a qualified threat to pass from the wildcat. Or they could presnap shift possibly going into a traditional set. The only way i see for the wildcat to be effective is if the threat of pass is real. I also feel Chan is coming around to my way of thinking on this matter. As he often does ;)

Edited by 3rdand12

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to Steve Tasker in his interview with Murph. Tasker said the Bills Wild-Cat package is a better throwing wild-cat than what the Jets have with Tebow becaaauuusssee... "Brad Smith can throw better than Tim Tebow."

He also said the fights that the Jets are having doesn't really mean anything because it's part of the game and these guys are just fired up pretty much. Still thinks Jets will be a handful.

One of the reasons i suspect that Brad has been in the redshirt is that he will be a qualified threat to pass from the wildcat. Or they could presnap shift possibly going into a traditional set. The only way i see for the wildcat to be effective is if the threat of pass is real. I also feel Chan is coming around to my way of thinking on this matter. As he often does wink.gif

Only if you "qualify" that statement by saying he's not a significant threat to pass.

I just listened to Steve Tasker in his interview with Murph. Tasker said the Bills Wild-Cat package is a better throwing wild-cat than what the Jets have with Tebow becaaauuusssee... "Brad Smith can throw better than Tim Tebow."

It's always been fun to rip on Tebow's throwing motion and he is, so far, a sub .500 completion passer in the NFL, but to say "Brad Smith can throw better than Tim Tebow" really is a joke. It cannot be based on fact--only bias.

In college, Tebow was a 66% completion passer who threw for 9000 yards (83 TDs/15 ints) in three years as a starter in the premier college conference. Smith started 2 years (at...Missouri!), threw for 4500 yards with only 30 TDs yet 20 ints.

Last year, Tebow struggled, we all saw that. But he rallied the team and had a few clutch wins. His vaunted defense gave up over 40 points 5 times last year. He had over 300 yards and 2 TDs in a playoff win against the Steelers.

Smith threw a single pass last year--it was a completion to the KC defender! He's attempted 8 passes in 6 years!

And he's a "better passer than Tebow"? Based on what--exactly?

Look, maybe Chan will allow him to throw from the WC this year (he absolutely didn't want him doing so last year--it couldn't be more clear). And maybe he'll connect on a few--we all hope so. But to compare him to an actual QB (even one like Tebow) is just crazy. If Smith was still a Jet and Tebow a Bronco, would anyone here be doing anything but ridiculing the Jets for Smith's performance in the WC so far? Of course not!

Edited by Mr. WEO

This thread seems based on an odd premise in that it extends from an assertion that the Jets #2 QB (and thought or at least hoped by many Jets fans to be their #1) is a better passer than our #3 disaster QB.

Well duh.

I agree with the poster above who says this is much more an insult to anyone who wants Tebow to start rather than an indictment of Smith.

In fact the idea that our #3QB is anyway comparable to the #1A QB says a lot more about the problems the Jets seem to face and points toward the potential of the Bills being in a nice position with Smith around.

It seems to me that Gailey is doing exactly the right thing in having his QB coach Lee work on making college QB Smith a more effective passer (much as he is trying to do the same things with Fitzy, Young and Thigpen).

Will he suceed in making Smith into a credible potential @1 QB?

In a word NO.

However, to think this is the goal would simply be stupid.

The goal in making Smith a better (not make him great and in fact not even make him good because he has never shown the consistency to be a good NFL starter at QB. The goal here is to make Smith an even more effective rusher (though its hard for him to be more effective since he proved to be like perfect money in the bank the too few times we called on him to wildcat on 3rd downs last year).

However, one of the reasons why he was so effective in 3rd down wildcat last year was that this former college QB starter was a credible threat to pass when the Bills went into a third down spread offense and we direct snapped to Smith who clearly has demonstrated he is an effective open field runner in the NFL.

The trick of having this fairly accomplished open field runner take the direct snap and pick his hole will only work until it works. The obvious counter to he always runs on wildcat plays is to stack the box with LB tackler types and have your DBs cover WRs in the spread one on one.

The two keys for the wildcat this year is going to be when the opposing DCs goes with more defenders in the box because Smith runs everytime is going to be one of the spread WRs is gonna be Graham. The major area where Smith will be asked to improve is going to be making reads to ID whether the opponent defends with a spread D (if so he runs) or by stacking the box (if they do then Smith's job is to read the coverage of Graham.

If the opposing DB backs way off then Graham cuts the route off (he must go past the first down mark and then faking the fly turns it in). Smith needs to be trained with Graham that the pass must go to a point just past the sticks and get it to Graham in a manner which allows him turn and make one move on the oncoming tackler. If he beats the one tackler he is off to the races.

If Smith/Graham read the DB is playing tight on Graham then he goes to the fly and Smith and Ghrahm develop chemistry for Smith to arc up a throw and allow Graham to run under it make the catch and then he is off to the races.

The good defender (lets say a Revis for the Jets) has the speed and the football coverage niftiness to play with middlin depth on Graham and making his own reads of what might happen, he is good enough to either fly with Graham or check down with him to cover the first down depth throw.

However, the Revis is not only few and far between in terms of the most talented DB opposing us, but even in the Revis case that now means he is guarding Graham and Stevie Johnson (who proved to be such a great route runner he undressed Pro Bowler Revis for a ton of catches now gets to feast on their #2.

Why do we keep Smith?

Because with the acquisition of the Graham skillset we hope to see next year be one not simply where Smith runs fir the 1st down everytime but sometimes passes for a TD to Graham.

Add to this he is a back-up WR on a thin WR squad that allows you to keep 5 WRs instead of 6 Imaybe this gives you the freedom to keep an extra LB for ST or back-up for your thin LB corps or it allows you to keep instant touchback guy Potter. Add to this your disaster QB actually contributes beyond being a clipboard holder. Add to this KR is not part of your expected benefit due to the shorter kickoff required by Smith is a proven reliable KR catcher and if their kicker errs he can expected to take advantage of it. You keep Smith because he easily covers three (and maybe 4 or 5) roster spots depending upon how you use the other talents you have and also the vagaries of injuries.

I think if one understands much about football this is not a question.

Absolutely. i have no one on ignore. yet. I hope that we can always learn something and although you seem pessimistic at times.. you have earned my respect :worthy:

Thanks, mutual. Im always willing to learn. I can be convinced!

I never understood the ignore feature. It's the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and saying "nyah, nyah, nyah--I can't hear you!" Infantile.

Morning take: Bills work on Wildcat

• The Buffalo Bills are beginning extensive work on their Wildcat package.

Morning take: The New York Jets aren’t the only AFC East team with a Wildcat. The Bills weren’t great at it last year with Brad Smith. But a little improvement could make a difference.

someone send that to Rex

The Buffalo Bills were in the experimental phase with their starting offense in the preseason opener. Buffalo passed the football 14 consecutive times with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick using a no-huddle offense.

It was a good time to test a new wrinkle. However, there were two casualties with this strategy: running backs Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller.

IS THAT what that was???

I kind of feel the same way. I would rather have VY run the wildcat and have drafted a 3rd string QB.

Why? What makes VY able to run the Wildcat? Because he can run/scramble?

If you want Young to run the WC, he has to be the 3rd stringer, or else you have to remove Fitz from the game to put him in and run it. Only the 3rd string QB can come in to replace the starter, without having to remove the starter from the game.

As Captain Hindsight said, its a waste of a roster spot for just a late round clipboard holder, atleast Smith in an emergency has the experience of playing QB, can play WR, and be used to return kicks.

But your all right, the Bills should just forget using a newer rule to their advantage, and also scrap the wildcat or any other option on offence that may be considered a "gimmick" so they can run whatever offence the Pats, Packers, Saints or Giants run........

If you want Young to run the WC, he has to be the 3rd stringer, or else you have to remove Fitz from the game to put him in and run it. Only the 3rd string QB can come in to replace the starter, without having to remove the starter from the game.

As Captain Hindsight said, its a waste of a roster spot for just a late round clipboard holder, atleast Smith in an emergency has the experience of playing QB, can play WR, and be used to return kicks.

But your all right, the Bills should just forget using a newer rule to their advantage, and also scrap the wildcat or any other option on offence that may be considered a "gimmick" so they can run whatever offence the Pats, Packers, Saints or Giants run........

I wasn't aware of this rule. Now it makes more sense. Has BS been throwing more in practices? Because I think at this point VY can run better than BS and throw better than BS.

I wasn't aware of this rule. Now it makes more sense. Has BS been throwing more in practices? Because I think at this point VY can run better than BS and throw better than BS.

Yes, he has been throwing more in practice. In fact, he's done nothing but play full time QB in OTAs, mini-camp and training camp up until now, and has been working directly with the QB coach David Lee, like Fitz has (although obviously not as much time spent). Yesterday they installed the Wildcat for the first time in TC (after they spent one day in mini-camp on it). But the idea was to get Smith ready to play QB in an emergency, as well as learn which eight or so passes does he do best so they can incorporate those kinds of pass options out of the Wildcat.

And btw, no, that is not the rule anymore. The #3 QB can dress and play any amount, at any position, without the starter being affected.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Apparantly that rule has been abolished now. So any QB can be brought in for the WC.