What makes Stevie Johnson so good?

I hear that he runs routes well and he's slippery. Is that it? Honestly, when I first saw him I thought of that old coaches' saying, "he isn't very big but he IS slow"... Now, obviously he's come a long way since then. What makes this 'tweener' so capable of being our go to #1 guy? (besides the 35 mil)

Some Q's that come to mind:

Has he always shown these good traits as a player?

What other receiver from NFL history can you say he bears a resemblance to in his style of play?

Is he a BIG moment guy? Will he come through for us?

Does he need to mature emotionally to be considered 'elite'? Will he?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not the fastest WR, he's not the most athletic, he's not the biggest, and not the strongest but in my opinion he's a smart football player that knows how to read coverage. He knows how to to break press coverage and get open quick and is a solid route runner. All qualities of a WR that are more important than a 40.

He just needs to focus on his concentration in clutch moments.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

He's not the fastest WR, he's not the most athletic, he's not the biggest, and not the strongest but in my opinion he's a smart football player that knows how to read coverage. He knows how to to break press coverage and get open quick and is a solid route runner. All qualities of a WR that are more important than a 40.

He just needs to focus on his concentration in clutch moments.

And he can make you think. His constant motor churning along with his ability to read can make him win over you. Look at games of him against Revis.

No, he is not a BIG moment guy. So far he's 0 for 2 on that. If history is any indication, he won't come through for us. I hope he does. But we'll just have to wait and see on the answer to that one.

Stevie has a trait that can't be taught -- he just knows how to get open. I've heard Chan and Fitz say on numerous occasions you can't expect Stevie to run a route precisely the way it is drawn up, but he will be there when he's supposed to be. He has a knack for getting the DB off balance and creating the necessary separation.

And yes, I think he's also very intelligent and can read what a DB is trying to do.

Went to a coaches clinic about a month ago and both the DBs coach and WRs coach said the same thing about him. "not just saying this bc he is on my team but Stevie Johnson is best in the NFL at getting off the press."

They actually went on to say that when they coach press drill in practice they ask Stevie to sit out bc they dont want to mess with this technique. it isnt text book or anything, it come naturally to him. They said its Stevie and Larry Fitz being the best two in the league with Stevie being a little better actually. thought that was really interesting.

1. His nonstop effort. Running routes, every play, is tiring. Most receivers run them half-ass if they know they aren't getting the ball. Look at him, especially against Revis. He runs every route like he's the No. 1 target. I saw him give Revis a (successful) quadruple move at the line once. What he lacks in speed, he more than has in effort and cardio endurance.

2. His ability to get open. I'll defer to Fitz on that one. He's been quoted many times as saying the guy just finds ways to get open.

As for the big moment, though, despite having a top-10 catch-per-pass ratio... :angry: ...he's 0-2.

Don't know who to compare him to but I can say that I knew this kid was good from his rookie year. I was begging for him to get in to prove it his 2nd year. Who's gonna argue with TO though. He just runs great routes. Always finds a way to get open. Doesn't get caught up at the LOS. Is able to beat press coverage. This kid is just good. I'd compare him to Stevie. He's his own man.

He doesn't just run designated routes and wait for the ball to be delivered to him. He reads opposing CB's and has a knack for keeping himself between the defender and the ball. He's the only guy I've seen own Revis and on multiple occasions. People can say what they want about Stevie, but he's the only receiver in Bills history to have back to back 1,000 yards receiving. That's crazy considering what we had in the 90's (Reed, Beebe, Lofton).

Another reason he's so good is because he knows how to enjoy the game and celebrate after a TD. :nana:

He doesn't just run designated routes and wait for the ball to be delivered to him. He reads opposing CB's and has a knack for keeping himself between the defender and the ball. He's the only guy I've seen own Revis and on multiple occasions. People can say what they want about Stevie, but he's the only receiver in Bills history to have back to back 1,000 yards receiving. That's crazy considering what we had in the 90's (Reed, Beebe, Lofton).

I don't think that it's that crazy that our WRs in the early 90's have never posted back to back 1000 yd seasons. Just think about the weapons we had. We were basically the Patriots passing attack today. McKeller, Metzelaars, Lofton, Thomas, Reed, Beebe...that's A LOT of targets to spread the ball around to. That's how we ran our offense much like the Pats do today. They don't have 1 WR. They have Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Woodhead, etc. Stevie is our one and only true receiving threat and so he's had a better chance in getting to 1000 yds in consecutive yrs than an Andre did

No, he is not a BIG moment guy. So far he's 0 for 2 on that. If history is any indication, he won't come through for us. I hope he does. But we'll just have to wait and see on the answer to that one.

He had some great moments in college. Game winning td vs #1 LSU and a LONG game winning td late vs rival Louisville. Ask Eric Wood about that one. Agreed he has dropped two game winners in the NFL but i think (hope) he gets past those.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tORe5-l75R0

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ViJniR738To

I hear that he runs routes well and he's slippery. Is that it? Honestly, when I first saw him I thought of that old coaches' saying, "he isn't very big but he IS slow"... Now, obviously he's come a long way since then. What makes this 'tweener' so capable of being our go to #1 guy? (besides the 35 mil)

Some Q's that come to mind:

Has he always shown these good traits as a player?

What other receiver from NFL history can you say he bears a resemblance to in his style of play?

Does he need to mature emotionally to be considered 'elite'? Will he?

Ok, scratching my head on this one ... let's see almost every analyst who talks about the Bills talks about Stevie being one of the best wideouts in the league. This morning on Mike and Mike during a brief conversation about the Bills they brought Stevie and Fred up as two superstars that the rest of the league is just beginning to discover.

Yes, he had those two drops but in hindsight I am glad we have Marcel Dareus rather than the win over the Steelers although I was as ticked as anyone in that loss.

His ability to get open and to beat the elite db's are other reasons that he is in that special class of receivers.

Too many people get focused in on speed or size but in the end it's the ability that matters. Two 1,000 yard seasons in a row is nothing to sneeze at.

And then there's his total commitment to the Bills and Buffalo! Last year's purchase of his own ticket to the uniform debut and every on air moment when he promotes Buffalo are all good stuff!

So, perhaps we should look down the roster some before questioning one of the best receivers in the league's ability.

Another reason he's so good is because he knows how to enjoy the game and celebrate after a TD. :nana:

I don't think that it's that crazy that our WRs in the early 90's have never posted back to back 1000 yd seasons. Just think about the weapons we had. We were basically the Patriots passing attack today. McKeller, Metzelaars, Lofton, Thomas, Reed, Beebe...that's A LOT of targets to spread the ball around to. That's how we ran our offense much like the Pats do today. They don't have 1 WR. They have Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Woodhead, etc. Stevie is our one and only true receiving threat and so he's had a better chance in getting to 1000 yds in consecutive yrs than an Andre did

really, i like stevie a lot, but i think the back to back 1000 yard seasons isnt near the argument most make it out to be. yardage around the league has shot up as an initial point. further (and obviously not exact) but both andre and moulds both are within a hair of having about a half dozen consecutive each. while stevie cleared it by like 10 yards, there were seasons each of those missed it by very small margins, and sometimes sandwiched between monster years (1300+, 990+, 1300+ for moulds at one stretch, for instance, while stevie has 1004, and 1070something)

when put in context, its just a bit arbitrary comparing it to the runs those 2 had.

It's that first step and change of direction that always amazes me. He doesn't look fast but he's just so smooth. He reminds me of a basketball player with a silky smooth crossover, lulls you to sleep, then one smooth change of direction and he's past you.

I hope he can come through when it matters this season, Stevie has been very good on third downs and getting open around the goal line, he just needs to catch the game winners. As far as maturity, he seems to have learned from the benching last year and is saying all the right things.

As far as maturity, he seems to have learned from the benching last year and is saying all the right things.

As he did after the Jets "shoot yourself in the foot" game.

Show me the baby.

If he gets through the entire 2012 season without dropping a game winner or getting an excessive celebration penalty, I'll believe he has matured.