Merriman rolls ankle, Nelson hurts knee

HOUSE

Pittsford, NY (WGR 550) -- The Bills were in pads for the first time Saturday at St.John Fisher, but Shawne Merriman was watching. Chan Gailey said, "He couldn't go, he rolled an ankle yesterday. We taped it up and finished, but we held him out today. He went through the walk throughs this morning so it's not like it's a hobbling thing, but we're going to make sure he's ready to go before we bring him back."

David Nelson was extremely upset as he left the field midway through practice with a knee injury. Gailey said, "They said it's like a bruise, they don't think it's any kind of ligaments or anything like that so we'll see what the determination is tomorrow probably."

RT Erik Pears didn't practice. Gailey said, "He aggravated that groin, they don't think it's much, but they were being precautionary and we'll see how soon we can get him back. Hopefully tomorrow night, if not, hopefully Tuesday."

DT Kellen Heard was another one and Gailey said, "Kellen's ankle had bothered him all of the off season and they're going to run some more tests, they don't know exactly what's wrong with that."

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Merriman-held-out--Nelson-hurts-knee/13839541

Edited by HOUSE

I sure hope the "rolled ankle" does not really mean achilles flare-up...

Same leg?

Even if it was, it might just be a precaution. They did after all say they taped it and finished yesterday. I'd have to imagine that's a good sign.

It's July, guys miss practice for paper cuts. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Edited by NoSaint

What I like best is if Merriman can't go I don't think it matters to the Bills, really - if he can contribute it's a happy surprise, if he can't, wish him the best

And if that Short Term Injury Reserve thing happens then it might be a great thing to put him on it and get him back midseason!

What I like best is if Merriman can't go I don't think it matters to the Bills, really - if he can contribute it's a happy surprise, if he can't, wish him the best

...until the Bills part ways and he gets picked up bu you-know-who and Fitz ends up looking across the LOS and glimpsing a grin right before he hurdles our rookie LT for a sack. I think it does matter that he's healthy, he's a big part of what other teams have to game plan around.

I just don't agree with this, "he's just the cherries on top" thing one bit.

...until the Bills part ways and he gets picked up bu you-know-who and Fitz ends up looking across the LOS and glimpsing a grin right before he hurdles our rookie LT for a sack. I think it does matter that he's healthy, he's a big part of what other teams have to game plan around.

I just don't agree with this, "he's just the cherries on top" thing one bit.

I personally don't like the cherry on top of a cake or ice cream sundae... I'm more whip cream type of a guy and its all about the cream in the middle...

But back to the topic at hand... I wouldn't consider Merriman the cherry... He's definitely not the cream filling... Kyle, Dareus and Mario are the core components of this D... Merriman would have to be the writing on top of the cake... If you have a nice decorated cake, it looks fine and all but, what's the celebration? Happy new year? Happy birthday? Merriman would be the writing on top IMO and give a clear understanding of what we are celebrating which would say, "Welcome Back Bills Pass Rush"...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I sure hope the "rolled ankle" does not really mean achilles flare-up...

I'm pretty certain I was watching when it happened. They have 2 12 foot rings which the coaches lay on the ground. Then they tell each DL men to run around the outside as fast as they can, two rings at a time. A few players slipped making the turn and Merriman was one of them. It didn't look like much at the time.

I'm pretty certain I was watching when it happened. They have 2 12 foot rings which the coaches lay on the ground. Then they tell each DL men to run around the outside as fast as they can, two rings at a time. A few players slipped making the turn and Merriman was one of them. It didn't look like much at the time.

Any sign on which ankle? Was it the bad leg?

I personally don't like the cherry on top of a cake or ice cream sundae... I'm more whip cream type of a guy and its all about the cream in the middle...

But back to the topic at hand... I wouldn't consider Merriman the cherry... He's definitely not the cream filling... Kyle, Dareus and Mario are the core components of this D... Merriman would have to be the writing on top of the cake... If you have a nice decorated cake, it looks fine and all but, what's the celebration? Happy new year? Happy birthday? Merriman would be the writing on top IMO and give a clear understanding of what we are celebrating which would say, "Welcome Back Bills Pass Rush"...

I'm all about cream pies.

I'm am the biggest Bills optimist I know and even I have zero expectations that Merriman stays healthy and contributes this year.

Same leg spells done again. He has the heart, just not the body. Damn.

Thanks for your valued medical opinion here. While its worrisome there's a huge possibility it's unrelated, or so minor he wouldn't miss a snap in the regular season.