Steve Smith donates $100K to Colorado shooting victims

Classy Move

It is a classy move - if he'd just have donated the money and let it go at that. The fact that his publicist is announcing that he donated the money takes much of the classiness away from it.

Mr. Show (one of the all time great sketch comedy shows) had a great quote that fits here: "Charity is when you do something for people while other people are watching."

Edited by MDH

No I disagree. I think will shine a spotlight on wealthly athletes in general and encourage some to follow

I agree. I don't think he was trying to say, hey look how nice I am, I think he was trying to set an example for other wealthy people or athletes.

It is a classy move - if he'd just have donated the money and let it go at that. The fact that his publicist is announcing that he donated the money takes much of the classiness away from it.

Mr. Show (one of the all time great sketch comedy shows) had a great quote that fits here: "Charity is when you do something for people while other people are watching."

So his publicist announced it, big deal. He didn't donate to a charity, so it's not a tax right off for him, like most people who donate money do it for. Guy did a nice thing, hoping others would follow his lead. Leave it at that.

It's good he donated the money, but no one can say they know what's in his heart as to why he did it. I hope it was motivated out of compassion, but there is always the possibility it was motivated by other reasons. Here's to hoping he is just a football player doing a good deed. :thumbsup:

It's good he donated the money, but no one can say they know what's in his heart as to why he did it. I hope it was motivated out of compassion, but there is always the possibility it was motivated by other reasons. Here's to hoping he is just a football player doing a good deed. :thumbsup:

Does it matter why? It's much needed money for the victims.

1343427905[/url]' post='2514953']

Mr. Show

I disagree, I think he's trying to multiply the effect by letting other very wealthy people know about it and push some to follow his example.

It sounds like Smith does a lot for charity and doesn't make a big deal out of it.

Actually, if you read the article, his explanation of why he did it sounds pretty genuine to me - his son was at a midnight showing of the movie the same night and it freaked him out. If you're a parent, you'll understand.

And he specifically said he made it public as a challenge to others to step up. I was seriously impressed with his perspective. He's got a heck of a lot more empathy for every day people than some of the politicians in the country.