Ruben Brown working camp

That's pretty cool. Ruben was always a good soldier for the Bills (and a big advocate for Buffalo in general), even if his abilities were slightly overrated.

Exactly. All pro selections (4) are made by the ppl that get paid to watch football. Back in the day, pro bowl selections (9) were made by opponents. Oh ya and played in a super bowl right when he left the bills.

Lots of armchair experts on these forums.

I've always wondered why teams dont bring in ex players more often. They have insight and can teach the young guys the tips and tricks they learned throught their years playing. Especially since many times the coaching staffs consist of guys that played a few years on the pine in college or a 1-2 yr NFL vet. For example, our O-line coach played 4 years at western carolina. Don't you think a guy like Ruben who played with and against the best could give a few tidbits of info? Besides I feel as though the players might respect a coach that has played in the league.

This is great news. One of my more liked Bills in the last dozen years.

I see no downside to this.

Exactly. All pro selections (4) are made by the ppl that get paid to watch football. Back in the day, pro bowl selections (9) were made by opponents. Oh ya and played in a super bowl right when he left the bills.

Lots of armchair experts on these forums.

I've gotta agree with you on this. We all like to make fun of Ruben because of his propensity for timely penalties, but at the end of the day, he was one of the better lineman ever to play for the Bills.

It's so "Buffalo" to rip on a player who was actually heralded by the media and his peers too. I find this very ironic given everybody's eagerness to play the "no respect card" by the media at any given opportunity.

I've gotta agree with you on this. We all like to make fun of Ruben because of his propensity for timely penalties, but at the end of the day, he was one of the better lineman ever to play for the Bills.

It's so "Buffalo" to rip on a player who was actually heralded by the media and his peers too. I find this very ironic given everybody's eagerness to play the "no respect card" by the media at any given opportunity.

2nd most pro bowls by a buffalo bills player EVER...second only to #78

That's pretty cool. Ruben was always a good soldier for the Bills (and a big advocate for Buffalo in general), even if his abilities were slightly overrated.

Until he quit on the team in 2003. :thumbdown:

i think that there may have been some things going on behind the scenes back then, i doubt mr. brown just woke up one morning with a bad attitude and said "screw this".

No excuse for such unprofessional behavior.:thumbdown:

Until he quit on the team in 2003. :thumbdown:

I had forgotten about that unpleasant moment in Bills history. There have been so many over the past 12 years they get jumbled; I'm sure you understand.

No excuse for such unprofessional behavior.:thumbdown:

What behavior and how did he quit on the team? He literally reached across the meeting room table and attempted to grab Gilbride out of frustration--- now, if that's the "unprofessional behavior" to which you're referring, I get it. But it wasn't because he quit on the team. On the contrary, he acted out due to a promising season being pissed away by inept coaching.

Does anyone remember the stat where Gilbride called a passing play on 110 consecutive instances of 3rd down and 3 or less? By contrast, the Patriots ran the ball 60% of the time in those situations. The running play that actually broke the streak was against Houston, and Travis Henry busted throught the line for a 64 yard run. The crowd erupted in (to my mind) mock standing ovation.

I don't blame Ruben for going after Gilbride, even if it was a stupid thing to do. Gregg Williams had no control over Gilbride and the offense tanked because of it. The man was literally in tears--- openly sobbing--- on WGR with Brad Riter when he said goodbye to Bills' fans. That wasn't a guy that quit on his team, it was a guy that had a meltdown out of his desire to win.

I had forgotten about that unpleasant moment in Bills history. There have been so many over the past 12 years they get jumbled; I'm sure you understand.

No problem, understood... 2003 is just my least favorite of them all, I will never forget.

What behavior and how did he quit on the team? He literally reached across the meeting room table and attempted to grab Gilbride out of frustration--- now, if that's the "unprofessional behavior" to which you're referring, I get it. But it wasn't because he quit on the team. On the contrary, he acted out due to a promising season being pissed away by inept coaching.

Does anyone remember the stat where Gilbride called a passing play on 110 consecutive instances of 3rd down and 3 or less? By contrast, the Patriots ran the ball 60% of the time in those situations. The running play that actually broke the streak was against Houston, and Travis Henry busted throught the line for a 64 yard run. The crowd erupted in (to my mind) mock standing ovation.

I don't blame Ruben for going after Gilbride, even if it was a stupid thing to do. Gregg Williams had no control over Gilbride and the offense tanked because of it. The man was literally in tears--- openly sobbing--- on WGR with Brad Riter when he said goodbye to Bills' fans. That wasn't a guy that quit on his team, it was a guy that had a meltdown out of his desire to win.

No, he quit on the team, bottom line. I've fired many employees for far less egregious things, and I'm a really nice boss!