Ruben Brown working camp

What behavior and how did he quit on the team? He literally reached across the meeting room table and attempted to grab Gilbride out of frustration--- now, if that's the "unprofessional behavior" to which you're referring, I get it. But it wasn't because he quit on the team. On the contrary, he acted out due to a promising season being pissed away by inept coaching.

Does anyone remember the stat where Gilbride called a passing play on 110 consecutive instances of 3rd down and 3 or less? By contrast, the Patriots ran the ball 60% of the time in those situations. The running play that actually broke the streak was against Houston, and Travis Henry busted throught the line for a 64 yard run. The crowd erupted in (to my mind) mock standing ovation.

I don't blame Ruben for going after Gilbride, even if it was a stupid thing to do. Gregg Williams had no control over Gilbride and the offense tanked because of it. The man was literally in tears--- openly sobbing--- on WGR with Brad Riter when he said goodbye to Bills' fans. That wasn't a guy that quit on his team, it was a guy that had a meltdown out of his desire to win.

Need a link. That can't be true.

Your argument makes ZERO sense. In your position of "power" you've fired "many employees" for far less egregious things furthers the idea that he was told not to come back, after he lashed out against lord Gregg and his minions. Until you've spoken to either side regarding the situation you have no place to say what went on inside those meeting rooms, or that locker room. The man that ran the team at that time has since been thrown out of the NFL...blackballed essentially. Would it surprise you to hear that there was some funny business going on at One Bills Drive during those days.

You say no excuse for such unprofessional behavior, but the guy kept his mouth shut and never aired the mess that was going on behind closed doors. He was not getting pinched for pot, beating his wife, driving drunk etc. Unprofessional for getting pissed at a weak link that was dragging a team down. Its amazing that some fans would applaud a player that smacks around a rookie that is dragging the team down, but if a player speaks up against an inexperienced coach that seems completely inept it is "unprofessional."

Does it make sense to you that Ruben would quit the Bills, and burn that bridge only to have Ralph/Russ Brandon invite him back week in and week out for appearances as Buffalo Bills Ambassador, honored with the ralph wilson distinguished service award, led the charge out of the tunnel last yr at a home game, was even cited by the buffalo news for being in the tunnel hugging players after the home win against the pats. He's even got a box at the Ralph, and attends every home game. Sounds like he quit and went out with a bang huh...or maybe the bills admitting their mistakes.

Need a link. That can't be true.

There's no link, aside from poring through play by play transcriptions. It was an onscreen graphic during that Houston game following Henry's run, and the type of unbelievable stat that is not possible to forget. I'm not misremembering it--- it was discussed on WGR the following week.

No problem, understood... 2003 is just my least favorite of them all, I will never forget.

No, he quit on the team, bottom line. I've fired many employees for far less egregious things, and I'm a really nice boss!

Whether or not he deserved to be released is one thing--- like I said, it was a stupid thing to do. But suggesting it was an expression of him quitting on the team is illogical. The coaches quit on the team much earlier and the season was long over by that point. If he had done something that stupid abd received a team mandated suspension while there was more at stake than limping though the final game of a miserable year, then it could be construed as selfish; but I bet there were a lot of players on that team that felt the same way.

That is my least favorite season in all my time as a Bills fan, and it wasn't because of Ruben Brown.

Exactly. All pro selections (4) are made by the ppl that get paid to watch football. Back in the day, pro bowl selections (9) were made by opponents. Oh ya and played in a super bowl right when he left the bills.

Lots of armchair experts on these forums.

I am agreeing with this poster here.....Rueben Brown overrated? He looked like a pretty darn good left guard to me.....are people saying this because he couldnt slide out and play left tackle like Levitre can?

There's no link, aside from poring through play by play transcriptions. It was an onscreen graphic during that Houston game following Henry's run, and the type of unbelievable stat that is not possible to forget. I'm not misremembering it--- it was discussed on WGR the following week.

Whether or not he deserved to be released is one thing--- like I said, it was a stupid thing to do. But suggesting it was an expression of him quitting on the team is illogical. The coaches quit on the team much earlier and the season was long over by that point. If he had done something that stupid abd received a team mandated suspension while there was more at stake than limping though the final game of a miserable year, then it could be construed as selfish; but I bet there were a lot of players on that team that felt the same way.

That is my least favorite season in all my time as a Bills fan, and it wasn't because of Ruben Brown.

No doubt there were a lot of players on the team that felt the same way. The professionals stuck it out to the bitter end, and Ruben Brown quit.

I do agree with you on 2003 though, worst Bills season ever imo, and though Ruben Brown was not the main problem, he certainly played a part. Now, if instead of Gilbride, he would've tried to rip Bledsoe's head off ala TKO, I wouldn't be quite so critical.

i always liked his dedication to the area, glad to hear it.

I loved his mad charges at his teammates after he helped plow open a hole for our RB to run a TD through. Those were cool. Loved that passion.

Edited by Bruce

I definitely remember this...but I am not sure it was 110 attempts...you may be right, but I was thinking it was more like 45...maybe I am wrong...probably...but 110 sounds beyond comprehension to me.

Funny thing is, Kevin Gilbride, as notorious as he is, has been the OC for some of the most prolific offenses of the last 20-25 years...I think, in retrospect, Bledsoe was just over the hill....too over the hill to be the focus of Gilbrides' offense.

I also think, overall, Ruben Brown was a better than average guard for us...too many remember him more for his (too)frequent off-sides, and ignore his decade of solid play for the Bills. Too bad.

Over-rated? You have got to be either kidding or completely delusional.

No I watched the games. He was over rated. Just because a was voted to a few pro bowls doesn't mean anything. He was an expensive weak link on our OL.

I definitely remember this...but I am not sure it was 110 attempts...you may be right, but I was thinking it was more like 45...maybe I am wrong...probably...but 110 sounds beyond comprehension to me.

Funny thing is, Kevin Gilbride, as notorious as he is, has been the OC for some of the most prolific offenses of the last 20-25 years...I think, in retrospect, Bledsoe was just over the hill....too over the hill to be the focus of Gilbrides' offense.

IMO, Gilbride's best results have been when he's had a strong head coach reigning in his propensity to throw the ball too damn much…

Cowher and Coughlin actually told Gilbride what to do rather than simply hand over the offense to him.

Hey Punch...I know what you are talking about, because I remember this being an huge issue that year, the number of times the Bills passed on 3rd and short, as opposed to passing...it definitely wasn't 110 consecutive times...assuming you are right about the issue coming up in the Houston game.

I went back, the week before that, they played the Cowboys in Dallas (I was there...one of the worst Bills road games I have ever been to)... the Bills woeful offense that day had 3rd & 3, or less, come up 4 times against the Cowboys. They ran it twice (a -1 by Sammy Morris, and a 5 yard gain by Travis), and they passed it twice (6 yard pass to Dave Moore, and a Bledsoe sack)...so, I don't think it was a 110 times, but it was still a head scratching number of times...

Hey Punch...I know what you are talking about, because I remember this being an huge issue that year, the number of times the Bills passed on 3rd and short, as opposed to passing...it definitely wasn't 110 consecutive times...assuming you are right about the issue coming up in the Houston game.

I went back, the week before that, they played the Cowboys in Dallas (I was there...one of the worst Bills road games I have ever been to)... the Bills woeful offense that day had 3rd & 3, or less, come up 4 times against the Cowboys. They ran it twice (a -1 by Sammy Morris, and a 5 yard gain by Travis), and they passed it twice (6 yard pass to Dave Moore, and a Bledsoe sack)...so, I don't think it was a 110 times, but it was still a head scratching number of times...

Looking at box scores on pro-football-reference.com, it looks like there should be approximately 5 or so occurrences of 3rd & 3 or less in a full game--- which means it would take something like 20 games to get to 110, which is basically impossible. It's entirely likely the stat became inflated due to emotion and time, but I think it may also have been one of those watered down situational stats: 3rd & 3 or less, in the 2nd half at home or somesuch. Thinking about that season, and particularly Greggo and Gilbride, gets my blood boiling and I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that one of my favorite hate-stats for that year is misremembered.

But thanks, Buftex--- I'm glad someone at the very least shares a recollection of it.

Edited by Punch