Buddy not mincing words on Troup, Carrington...

eball

I continue to be impressed by Nix in his honesty and matter-of-fact approach to this football team. He's not shying away from the Troup and Carrington picks coming out of his first draft as GM, and publicly acknowledged these two players in particular need to make an impact in camp. It was refreshing to hear, because many have labeled Troup a bust and Carrington really hasn't done anything to distinguish himself. Comments like this reassure me that unless the production is evident during camp and preseason, the Bills won't hesitate to "cut bait" and admit failure despite these being two of "their" early round draft picks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to doubt you E, but where'd you hear/see this? BB.com?

Troup has been plagued with injuries and was drafted as a 3-4 NT. Carrington, a 3-4 DE. So, yes, they either smoothly adjust to entirely different positions and excel in it or end up on another roster. The Bills are loaded at DT & DE.

God, it's great to say that with conviction!

No reason to doubt you E, but where'd you hear/see this? BB.com?

From transcript yesterday at camp:

On which young 2nd- and 3rd-year players he expects to start making a larger impact this season:

"You are probably referring mainly to (Torell) Troup and (Alex) Carrington and it is time for both of those guys to do it. It is their third year. Injuries have been a big factor with Troup. If he can stay healthy I think he’ll be a factor. And Carrington is now in a position inside where he can get as big, he’s a big guy anyway, but he needs to get as big as he wants to and be able to carry it, so I think all that will help them. But those are the main two probably."

I continue to be impressed by Nix in his honesty and matter-of-fact approach to this football team. He's not shying away from the Troup and Carrington picks coming out of his first draft as GM, and publicly acknowledged these two players in particular need to make an impact in camp. It was refreshing to hear, because many have labeled Troup a bust and Carrington really hasn't done anything to distinguish himself. Comments like this reassure me that unless the production is evident during camp and preseason, the Bills won't hesitate to "cut bait" and admit failure despite these being two of "their" early round draft picks.

couldn't agree more, if they don't step up it's time to go.

Definitely refreshingly honest!

Troup once had so much upside but injuries have done him in.

Buddy is not about to protect a pick or trade of his once it is clear the guy isn't going to work out . For Buddy it is all about purring a winning team togethe.

Modrak wasn't released until immediately AFTER that first draft with Nix as GM. I can't help but think Modrak was still allowed some influence on that first draft while Nix transitioned into his new role as GM and started to put his own stamp on the scouting department. In part, keeping Modrak around was probably simply to keep him in-house with any team draft insights until the draft was over, but I still can't help but think it was essentially Modrak's draft board that was in-play on draft day that year. I really don't know, but it was not a stellar draft, for sure.

Edited by ChasBB

that draft was not a strong draft at all.

Sounds like fairly benign and obvious stuff. Don't see the big deal here

The "big deal" is that GMs rarely will publicly admit their failures (or potential failures) two short years after drafting a player. By specifically calling out Troup and Carrington (Nix was not asked about them; he was only asked a generic question about "2nd and 3rd year players"), Nix sent the message he will not give "his" early draft picks excessive time to develop.

That's pretty significant, and far from "benign and obvious."

Add Merriman to that list.

And Vince Young too. Was listening to WGR this morning and Buddy said that there is a big gap between Thigpen and Young. It could very well be the other way around but from how they were talking about it they think it is Young that has catching up to do.

WGR Interview

Edited by The Wiz

And Vince Young too. Was listening to WGR this morning and Buddy said that there is a big gap between Thigpen and Young. It could very well be the other way around but from how they were talking about it they think it is Young that has catching up to do.

Agreed. I read comments from even some of the local Buffalo writers who are already handing the job to VY and shake my head. VY is not picking up this offense quickly, and there's a very good chance Thigpen wins that job -- which scares me.

I'm honestly pulling for VY to have a great camp and preseason, because if Fitz goes down it doesn't look good.

The "big deal" is that GMs rarely will publicly admit their failures (or potential failures) two short years after drafting a player. By specifically calling out Troup and Carrington (Nix was not asked about them; he was only asked a generic question about "2nd and 3rd year players"), Nix sent the message he will not give "his" early draft picks excessive time to develop.

That's pretty significant, and far from "benign and obvious."

Dude they're entering their 3rd seasons. And not at the most complicated positions either. How much freaking longer did you expect them to get to develop?

Dude they're entering their 3rd seasons. And not at the most complicated positions either. How much freaking longer did you expect them to get to develop?

Honestly, I wouldn't expect you to understand, and I'm kicking myself for even responding to you.

Agreed. I read comments from even some of the local Buffalo writers who are already handing the job to VY and shake my head. VY is not picking up this offense quickly, and there's a very good chance Thigpen wins that job -- which scares me.

I'm honestly pulling for VY to have a great camp and preseason, because if Fitz goes down it doesn't look good.

The secondary comments that Buddy made were a little more reassuring(?) by basically saying that he needs camp to run the plays and watch them break down and see if he can pick it up faster that way since his time with the playbook has been almost none.