Moving to DC. Need some housing advice

stevestojan

A couple of weeks ago, I took my son to watch the Goodman League in the Berry Farms Dwellings in SE DC (a few blocks from the Anacostia stop): Goodman League

Great basketball and you never know who (NBA, ex-NBA, College, etc.) might appear. We were the only caucasians at the game & due to that were welcomed by Miles Rawls (commissioner & announcer) over the mike. The games ended about 10:00 and we had no issues going/coming or at the games. We had a great time and saw some amazing ball.

Sounds cool. I've worked some pretty tough neighborhoods, I love watching basketball, but I wouldn't take my kids anywhere near there. But like any city, most of the bad areas are very contained.

The husband of someone my wife knew was a SE detective. The most hardcore dude I ever met, he is (was?) crazy. He'd been shot twice, had more than a few other injuries from various weapons and had shot someone (I don't know how serious). If he wasn't jumping into bad situation, he was probably causing one. I'm pretty sure he was hopped up on steroids and uppers.

My daughter lives on 4th St NE and her rent for a townhouse is in your budget. She formerly lived in an apartment in Columbia Heights (right above a Metro station); lots of places to rent there and it's a great location if you'll only be there a couple years.

I think you'll love DC! Just ask DC Tom. ;)

Make sure your flood insurance is up to date is what he'll say.

doesn't that make you feel bad? it does me. i experienced it this weekend and i let it really impact what i wanted to do and see...i was at a music festival across the river from philly in camden, and i let camden's reputation dictate how late i was going to stay...invariably i left and had nothing but a safe walk and in the end i wound up missing among other acts, ozomalti, the hold steady and wilco, because i didn't want to be in camden that late....during the times i did 'brave' the walk i found it nothing but safe and relatively 'pleasant'. there are people that choose to live in areas like that because it is affordable, unfortunately there are people that live in those areas(most areas) that don't deserve to be breathing the same oxygen supply as the rest of us, and we, unfortunately, let them dictate how we behave. I know a Bills fan in the philly area that is a priest in camden he seems to love the area. I am the eternal optimist and see good in mostly everything...and i felt so guilty feeling that way and painting camden in that light....regular people, no matter what their socio-economic situation simply want to live a normal life, whatever normal means.....in the end, i had a great weekend in camden and commend them for hosting a wonderful event

Sounds cool. I've worked some pretty tough neighborhoods, I love watching basketball, but I wouldn't take my kids anywhere near there. But like any city, most of the bad areas are very contained.

The husband of someone my wife knew was a SE detective. The most hardcore dude I ever met, he is (was?) crazy. He'd been shot twice, had more than a few other injuries from various weapons and had shot someone (I don't know how serious). If he wasn't jumping into bad situation, he was probably causing one. I'm pretty sure he was hopped up on steroids and uppers.

When he was about 18 my brother went to DC for a student conference. He left the WH & accidentally headed SE on PA ave. Next thing you know there's a skinny white kid in a tie in the middle of one of the roughest areas of DC catching awfully strange looks from the locals. He saw a cab and in a near panic asked a cab driver where he was. An older black lady getting out of the cab looked at him like he was crazy & told him, with a great sense of urgency, that he needed to get out of there & to get in the cab. He told her he didn't have any money on him but she said not to worry, gave the cabbie some money & told him to get him to the NW right away.

Amazing story!

A couple of weeks ago, I took my son to watch the Goodman League in the Berry Farms Dwellings in SE DC (a few blocks from the Anacostia stop): Goodman League

Great basketball and you never know who (NBA, ex-NBA, College, etc.) might appear. We were the only caucasians at the game & due to that were welcomed by Miles Rawls (commissioner & announcer) over the mike. The games ended about 10:00 and we had no issues going/coming or at the games. We had a great time and saw some amazing ball.

Great info, Mr. Info!

SE is gentrifying just like the NE..but damn , Berry Farms is some hard core chit dude!!! Thats awesome you went..and MD or Geeorgetown players there? Has Durant played there?

Durant was there the week before but not the night we were there. G'towns Chris Wright and Antonio Hyman played. Some other dude was the MVP of some Euro league. I did not spot any MD players but I had a hard time catching all the names from the announcer. These guys all had game. The warm-ups were as entertaining as the games and it was like the slam-dunk competition. But once the games started, these guys became serious as chit about their ball. Great bball court in the middle of the projects. Nike spent >$150k to upgrade it about a year ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting a place in Chevy Chase. It's called the Archstone at Wisconsin Place. While a bit over my original price range it has some nice benefits. It's right on the red line - so much so that you can get to the redline through my parking garage. But the best part is that it's approximately 100 steps door to door for work. I will be able to sell my car because of this. For the wife, it's walking distance to endless shopping.

Thanks for the advice above.

I ended up getting a place in Chevy Chase. It's called the Archstone at Wisconsin Place. While a bit over my original price range it has some nice benefits. It's right on the red line - so much so that you can get to the redline through my parking garage. But the best part is that it's approximately 100 steps door to door for work. I will be able to sell my car because of this. For the wife, it's walking distance to endless shopping.

I m envious dude. Sounds like a great location..and get yourself a a Zipcar membership..it will come in handy for runs to Costco, Best Buy, golf etc. Get some good bikes too..you should not be far from the Capital Cresent Trail..in Georgetown in 15 minutes !

http://www.cctrail.org/map3.htm

Also, get on the Eater DC email list..great news on restuarants comings and goings erc, http://dc.eater.com/

Think McFaddens will be your goto joint for Bills games if you o not stay at home or them.

I m envious dude. Sounds like a great location..and get yourself a a Zipcar membership..it will come in handy for runs to Costco, Best Buy, golf etc. Get some good bikes too..you should not be far from the Capital Cresent Trail..in Georgetown in 15 minutes !

http://www.cctrail.org/map3.htm

Also, get on the Eater DC email list..great news on restuarants comings and goings erc, http://dc.eater.com/

Think McFaddens will be your goto joint for Bills games if you o not stay at home or them.

Great info sir! Thanks!

I live less than a mile away. Hah.

DC Bills Backers Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107390602641692/

They do games at The Laughing Man near Metro Center.

There's another bar that does Bills games, Grand Central, in Adams Morgan, http://grandcentraldc.com/

How is this wife working out?

I live less than a mile away. Hah.

DC Bills Backers Facebook group:

https://www.facebook...07390602641692/

They do games at The Laughing Man near Metro Center.

There's another bar that does Bills games, Grand Central, in Adams Morgan, http://grandcentraldc.com/

I've frequented Laughing Man a few times...it's a solid spot, they serve Molsons and play the Shout song when the Bills score a TD