Hey, who would have thought...

Came across this article yesterday, and by the time I got about halfway through it I had gained a new found respect for what Chan is trying to implement and our starting quarterback is trying to execute out there. Being a fan of the game and in particular this team since the 70's and even though I am not an X and O guru I figured that I had a pretty good grasp on what needs to take place on any given passing play Pre-snap read, maybe an audible, take the snap, 3 to 4 progressions(If time allows), then delivery, I mean after all he's only got about 3 seconds right? After reading this I realized that other than the "about 3 seconds" part I had been almost completely mistaken. Fitz has up to 9 areas to check post snap..Nine! In 3 seconds or less(mostly less). What is that? 3 areas per second? All while trying not to take a big hit to the head or get his ribs busted...again. Wonderlic test makes a bit more sense now than it did before, I guess the better QB's just make it look easy. I for one will no longer wonder "How come Fitz doesn't throw deep more often" ever again.

WARNING: Long read with tons of X's and O's. Erhardt-Perkins

Edited by angryfan62

Interesting article. I bookmarked it so I can read it again after I've had some caffiene. Helps me understand why rookie receivers rarely make an impact.

I'm curious to know the author's credentials. I clicked on his name which is a link, but it's not revealing.

Came across this article yesterday, and by the time I got about halfway through it I had gained a new found respect for what Chan is trying to implement and our starting quarterback is trying to execute out there. Being a fan of the game and in particular this team since the 70's and even though I am not an X and O guru I figured that I had a pretty good grasp on what needs to take place on any given passing play Pre-snap read, maybe an audible, take the snap, 3 to 4 progressions(If time allows), then delivery, I mean after all he's only got about 3 seconds right? After reading this I realized that other than the "about 3 seconds" part I had been almost completely mistaken. Fitz has up to 9 areas to check post snap..Nine! In 3 seconds or less(mostly less). What is that? 3 areas per second? All while trying not to take a big hit to the head or get his ribs busted...again. Wonderlic test makes a bit more sense now than it did before, I guess the better QB's just make it look easy. I for one will no longer wonder "How come Fitz doesn't throw deep more often" ever again.

WARNING: Long read with tons of X's and O's. Erhardt-Perkins

Great find, Angry, as is the Brian Galliford article linked within it (also recommended). In general, the technical articles on Buffalo Rumblings are very reliable. They got some knowledgeable dudes there.

Opinion pieces are like any other.

Here's some more stuff on Erhardt-Perkins offense. The NE Patriots run a variant of this system. So do the Giants, and the Denver Broncos

Keep in mind that what Chan is running is not a traditional Erhardt-Perkins "run to set up the pass" "pass to score, run to win" system, or at least has not been in past. If he manages to successfully utilize both Spiller and Jackson perhaps it will be more so in future. I would love to see more of the smash-mouth running that characterized the original E-P offenses employed, if we can.

A couple of additional points (quotes from the article I linked, about the similar Patriots and Giants offense): this offense demands a high degree of knowledge from our WR. . They have to know all the WR roles (for disguise). Moreover, they have to be able to re-interpret their routes based on pre-snap reads - they will run their routes differently depending on what they see: "At times, there are four decisions that a receiver needs to make after the snap the way our offense is,' receivers coach Chad O'Shea told Bedard. "That's one of the advantages of our offense, that we give players a lot of flexibility within the system to take what the defense gives us. And that's definitely something that's unique about our offense."

Two points that follow:

1. This is a very difficult offense for a walk-on WR to come in and contribute, especially a WR whose principle talent is "streak down the field and catch" such as Ochocinco or TO. The routes don't just depend on the play that's called in the huddle. They have to make sight adjustments when they get to their spot in the formation based on where the cornerbacks and safeties are aligned. The routes depend on what the coverage is. You come out and you know what you've got to do, but it may change the whole thing after you get done looking at the coverage."

2. This offense depends heavily on everyone on offense (esp QB and WR) seeing the same thing and being on the same page. the receivers have several options to change their routes on each play, depending on what the defense does. It's complicated and hard to learn, and it can be very tricky for the quarterback and receiver to make sure they're seeing exactly the same thing out of each defender. (...) You don't just, in our offense, go out and run a 12-yard curl or a 10-yard in-cut. We ask them to read a lot of things. We put a lot of pressure on receivers to see things as a quarterback would. It's very difficult as a coach to get those things coordinated."

Given all that, one can see that offensive production would degrade sharply with injuries, if one or more backups weren't on the "same page", because to be effective, it's not enough for one receiver to see the "right things" and be in the "right place" they all have to see the same thing, interpret it the same way, and make the same decisions. Gailey made a couple references to this in late-season press conferences last year: "We have to get the receivers to be in the places he (Fitz) thinks they need to be"

And this is a reason I would be surprised if we pick up WR or FA QB from late round roster cuts and why I'm not surprised at the total lack of interest in TO or Ocho. They just won't be able to contribute as much in our system as they could in some others. It's also why I think there's more of an "if" about Vince Young winning the backup role than some do based upon his sheer physical talent. Gailey loves this offense. He depends on it. And he's not dumbing it down or giving it up willingly. IF Vince Young masters the offense, he will win the backup role. If he doesn't, it depends upon whether or not Gailey thinks he can see future mastery from where VY is on the day he needs to get out the scissors.

Edited by Hopeful

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2012-training-camp-preview-buffalo-040017889--nfl.html;_ylt=AklYjLcIeGZiexfMdy9Hk5xDubYF;_ylu=X3oDMTN1b3YxazhtBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBORkwEcGtnAzZlNTMzMWMwLWQ0ZTktMTFlMS1iZWVmLTM4OWE5Y2FkMTIwNgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyAzZlNTNhNmYyLWQ0ZTktMTFlMS1iYmVmLTAzZDgxMDRjMDgxYg--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Front page of Yahoo NFL, it is a Bills preview. Here is part of the article below. I agree with it, and I think we will start seeing more people write this, I really do not believe there is time to be patient with Fitz at all, he could be on the bench by game 8 IMO.

On the hot seat

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. His game unraveled almost instantly after earning a fat contract extension last October as the Bills dropped eight of their last nine games and he led the NFL in interceptions with 23. The Bills signed veteran Vince Young to compete for the backup job with Tyler Thigpen. In reality, he's here to push Fitzpatrick. In an effort to help his starter, Gailey hired respected quarterback guru David Lee, who spent the offseason working on Fitzpatrick's mechanics. The goal is to elevate Fitzpatrick to a level of player deserving of elite money. But after two non-playoff years in his first two seasons in Buffalo, Gailey's under pressure, too, and he can't afford to wait forever for Fitzpatrick to develop the kind of consistency needed at the quarterback position. If Fitzpatrick falters, look for Young to replace him sooner than later.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. His game unraveled almost instantly after earning a fat contract extension last October as the Bills dropped eight of their last nine games and he led the NFL in interceptions with 23. The Bills signed veteran Vince Young to compete for the backup job with Tyler Thigpen. In reality, he's here to push Fitzpatrick. In an effort to help his starter, Gailey hired respected quarterback guru David Lee, who spent the offseason working on Fitzpatrick's mechanics. The goal is to elevate Fitzpatrick to a level of player deserving of elite money. But after two non-playoff years in his first two seasons in Buffalo, Gailey's under pressure, too, and he can't afford to wait forever for Fitzpatrick to develop the kind of consistency needed at the quarterback position. If Fitzpatrick falters, look for Young to replace him sooner than later.

I would say it unraveled even quicker after the punishing blow he got from Fletcher. :blink:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2012-training-camp-preview-buffalo-040017889--nfl.html;_ylt=AklYjLcIeGZiexfMdy9Hk5xDubYF;_ylu=X3oDMTN1b3YxazhtBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBORkwEcGtnAzZlNTMzMWMwLWQ0ZTktMTFlMS1iZWVmLTM4OWE5Y2FkMTIwNgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyAzZlNTNhNmYyLWQ0ZTktMTFlMS1iYmVmLTAzZDgxMDRjMDgxYg--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Front page of Yahoo NFL, it is a Bills preview. Here is part of the article below. I agree with it, and I think we will start seeing more people write this, I really do not believe there is time to be patient with Fitz at all, he could be on the bench by game 8 IMO.

On the hot seat

So you felt the need to post this in a thread describing how the Bills' passing offense is designed to operate? Geez, you are dense.

The thing I never understood is how quarterbacks and receivers are supposed to make pre-snap reads when the defensive players are moving around, pretending to show blitz, etc.

The thing I never understood is how quarterbacks and receivers are supposed to make pre-snap reads when the defensive players are moving around, pretending to show blitz, etc.

"It's hard to play offense in the NFL."

-- Dick Jauron

On the hot seat

Totally false and total BS

This is good info for most fans. Nothing ground breaking and it will explain a lot of the basics of football.

The nice thing about our offense is that we do not rely on the long ball to move the chains. We have a QB who can throw the ball wide and find targets, which works well with this system. If we can balance the passing attack better this year, and I mean 40-50% or less passing plays, we will be good. If we can run the ball 50-60% time we are going to find more W's then L's.

My only fear is that we are going against very athletic defenses in the AFCE with a lot of tools in their basket. Even this year the Dolphins got more weapons and role players. It will be interesting and the matchups intense.

This is good info for most fans. Nothing ground breaking and it will explain a lot of the basics of football.

The nice thing about our offense is that we do not rely on the long ball to move the chains. We have a QB who can throw the ball wide and find targets, which works well with this system. If we can balance the passing attack better this year, and I mean 40-50% or less passing plays, we will be good. If we can run the ball 50-60% time we are going to find more W's then L's.

My only fear is that we are going against very athletic defenses in the AFCE with a lot of tools in their basket. Even this year the Dolphins got more weapons and role players. It will be interesting and the matchups intense.

First of all, I'm one of those staunch to say Chan is too pass happy and I wish we'd run more. That said, even the two most run-heavy teams in the league last year (Texans and 49ers) only ran 50-52% of the time and passed 45% of the time (the remaining 2-3% are ST plays).

I don't think you're going to see us hit the run/pass breakdown you'd like to see. I'm not sure that's a good thing, I'm not sure it's a bad thing, I think it's a thing thing. If we would even bring our run percentage up a little bit, to 45%, I would be happy.

That is the main challenge with this system, IMO. It all looks good on the blackboard, but figuring it out on the field is another matter.

First of all, I'm one of those staunch to say Chan is too pass happy and I wish we'd run more. That said, even the two most run-heavy teams in the league last year (Texans and 49ers) only ran 50-52% of the time and passed 45% of the time (the remaining 2-3% are ST plays).

I don't think you're going to see us hit the run/pass breakdown you'd like to see. I'm not sure that's a good thing, I'm not sure it's a bad thing, I think it's a thing thing. If we would even bring our run percentage up a little bit, to 45%, I would be happy.

I thought about it more in the shower. I bring that up because thats where I do my best thinking and probably spend an hour of my day. That and I enjoy the game on paper and in the books more then I do the game often times.

We have Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Tashard Choice (Johnny White?) and Corey McIntyre. There are 3 people there that can do more then run the ball. If we can have two of any of those guys on the field at least 60% of season I would be happy. These mismatches we create, mismatches I spoke about in recent posts for those who saw, will be game changers. The level of athleticism in the NFL is confusing, athleticism itself is a misnomer. To make it to the NFL you are an athlete, unless you're Aaron Maybin (kidding). We are seeing matchups in positions favoring imbalances and we have an arsenal to use.

I see Choice filling in for Jackson, and Spiller being a package RB not used as a "starter." Spiller on the field moving around will allow us to have advantages against defensive packages. If a defense plays nickel or any other type of extra back we will have Jackson in the backfield for an audible or shift away from the heavy front - Johnson likely getting single man coverage or Nelson splitting that seam. Spiller against an LB I would take that any day and hope Fitz can hit that outside shoulder on a post. The idea would be the isolation play displayed in the article. If Chandler is in Nelson or Spiller could be wide. Pull Chandler for Spiller, draw him in motion across the line (that strong side LB or DE on full blitz likely) and we got ourselves what we've seen a million times.

I am encouraged to see what Choice can offer for our team and think he is more of a traditional back who with McIntyre in front of him gaining some yards.

God I love me some football. I sometimes draw up plays just for fun to see what I can create.