Supporters of Tax Increase on Rich

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And no one knows what Mitt paid in taxes, that's for for!

Wrong.........as usual.

The IRS knows.

and we know about his 2011 and 2010returns

but stay with your knee-jerk responses..............no one expects anything else from you.

Wrong.........as usual.

The IRS knows.

and we know about his 2011 and 2010returns

but stay with your knee-jerk responses..............no one expects anything else from you.

As head of the Executive Branch, Obama can order the IRS to release Romney's Tax Records.

If Obama can release classified information on the Bin Laden Raid, there shouldn't be a problem releasing confidential information about a US Citizen. He could invite Brian Williams for another chat from the situation room. Throw in a couple nuggets from Biden. Interview some accountants who'll recount how difficult their CPA training was.

Why won't Obama release Romney's tax records? What is Obama hiding?

As head of the Executive Branch, Obama can order the IRS to release Romney's Tax Records.

If Obama can release classified information on the Bin Laden Raid, there shouldn't be a problem releasing confidential information about a US Citizen. He could invite Brian Williams for another chat from the situation room. Throw in a couple nuggets from Biden. Interview some accountants who'll recount how difficult their CPA training was.

Why won't Obama release Romney's tax records? What is Obama hiding?

Um, his own tax records from '97-99, and those of his own party, like Fancy Nancy? They wouldn't want to look like hypocrites now, would they?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/06/business/la-fi-mo-taxes-400-20120606

Here's some information on the rate paid by the Top 400 taxpayers. The Top 400 pay less as a percentage than most of us, I'd wager. I know they pay a lower percentage of their income than I do.

Here are the historical rates paid in the highest brackets:

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=213

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=161

Toss in the situation with the estate tax and it looks to me like it's never been a better time to be rich from a tax perspective, yet they want more tax cuts and they certainly don't want any increases, all while pounding the table on the deficit. And what amazes me even more than that chutzpah is that there are many on the right of modest means who don't seem to understand this (you mock the uninformed on the left, but believe me, there are just as many if not more on the right) and who support the wealthy's drive to lower their own taxes without understanding that the cuts to pay for that will come out of their own benefits. It's almost gotten to the point where I'm sick of arguing that with them about that.....

How much should he pay and why?

I don't know, he won't release his taxes so its impossible to say.

Why should he pay taxes? Come on!

How much do you think he should pay and why that much?

More

Because he can

What? No parable about sticks you broke up in your yard? This stick is big and this one is small, life is unfair :rolleyes:

Here's some information on the rate paid by the Top 400 taxpayers. The Top 400 pay less as a percentage than most of us, I'd wager. I know they pay a lower percentage of their income than I do.

Toss in the situation with the estate tax and it looks to me like it's never been a better time to be rich from a tax perspective, yet they want more tax cuts and they certainly don't want any increases, all while pounding the table on the deficit. And what amazes me even more than that chutzpah is that there are many on the right of modest means who don't seem to understand this (you mock the uninformed on the left, but believe me, there are just as many if not more on the right) and who support the wealthy's drive to lower their own taxes without understanding that the cuts to pay for that will come out of their own benefits. It's almost gotten to the point where I'm sick of arguing that with them about that.....

When iget some time, I will post a link that will refute what you just linked, and what I find to be deplorable is that liberals beg for higher taxes, yet over half the population doesn't pay federal income taxes and that the United States has the most progressive tax code on the planet. And to make things worse, progressives are quick to whine and complaim about litigating other peoples taxes and how much they should give to the government, yet when you look at their charitable work, they donate FAR less than conservatives. So spare me your bull ****, The hypocrisy from liberals never ceases to amaze me.

Edited by WorldTraveller

So while they pay more in actual tax dollars than you, you're pissed that they don't pay a higher percentage? Again, everyone tries to lower his/her tax burden. And this could all have been solved by creating a flat tax within the first days to 2 years of Barry's administration when he had full control. Why do you think that never was even a consideration, if making the rich pay more was truly their concern?

There are few problems with I see with this analysis.

1. As with most such analysis coming out recently, different revenue streams that are taxed differently are treated as though they were the same for the sake of arriving at these numbers.

2. I don't know anyone who is clamoring for tax cuts for the rich. I'm sure some exist, but I mainly hear people that don't want to raise taxes which is not the same as wanting to lower taxes.

3. The tax that I hear calls for cutting most often are corporate taxes which are not the equivalent of tax cuts for the rich and would go a long way toward keeping prices down and making the US more attractive to companies that have the ability to operate from the most profitable location. I know those who normally scoff at patriotism like to cry foul when businesses choose not to sacrifice their earnings to the US government and move to greener pastures, but that's the way of the world.

Edited by Rob's House

I don't know, he won't release his taxes so its impossible to say.

You need to see his taxes to know how much he should pay in taxes?

How much do you think he should pay and why that much?

Let's say...around 20%. For the years in question. Care to guess why?

When iget some time, I will post a link that will refute what you just linked, and what I find to be deplorable is that liberals beg for higher taxes, yet over half the population doesn't pay federal income taxes and that the United States has the most progressive tax code on the planet. And to make things worse, progressives are quick to whine and complaim about litigating other peoples taxes and how much they should give to the government, yet when you look at their charitable work, they donate FAR less than conservatives. So spare me your bull ****, The hypocrisy from liberals never ceases to amaze me.

I'll be waiting for it. What's to refute? What I posted are all facts--percentages paid or highest marginal rates. As you can see, our tax code is actually not all that progressive when the folks at the very top pay a much lower percentage than, for ex., Bain capital's cleaning lady when you count it all up (in normal years, for ex., she and her employer pay about 12.5% into SSI alone, I believe). And I understand, Rob, about capital gains vs. ordinary income, believe me. And while I understand some of the policy reasons behind that difference, and agree with it to some extent, I don't think it would kill the rich to pay closer to 20%, as would happen should we hit the fiscal cliff. That's why I posted the capital gains rate chart, too.

PS to WT--I pay in taxes multiples of what the average family makes in a year (and that's after starting out a blue collar kid who grew up in a 1400 square foot house without a shower), so please don't lecture me on hypocrisy, 0K? Some of us simply don't forget where we came from even if it's to our benefit or convenience. I'll discuss this like adults and treat you with respect when you do the same instead of going all wingnut, ok?

PSS This tax policy, particularly over the last 30 years or so might also explain things like this, the recent Pew study on economic mobility across generations:

http://www.pewstates.org/uploadedFiles/PCS_Assets/2012/Pursuing_American_Dream.pdf

Notice how both income and wealth have skewed towards the upper income quintile over that period? Personally, I found Figure 7 on page 11 particularly sad, since when you do the math you realize that a kid growing up in the bottom quintile (like lots of the folks I grew up with) have about 1/11th the chance of making it into the top quintile as adults as compared to the kids born there. Basically upper middle class kids are 11 times (that's TIMES, not percent) more likely to stay that way than a poor kid is to make it up the income scale. I'd wager personally that it's even worse the more granular you go up the scale (for ex., I'd say that the folks who start in the top 1% and make it back there as adults is higher than 11% of the top 1%--that's based on anecdotal evidence gleaned from knowing the class/social backgrounds of the folks my wife and I went to school with and the people I've worked with). Is that the America we want to have? I say no and a fairer tax policy is a way to help prevent this kind of "permanent inequality." We are at the stage/tipping point of turning into a society with a permanent, immutable underclass and that is good for no one, rich or poor, even if some of the rich are too short-sighted to see that.

You need to see his taxes to know how much he should pay in taxes?

Let's say...around 20%. For the years in question. Care to guess why?

I'll take the bait. Why? Personally, my best guess is that he paid 10% or less in at least some of the years we haven't seen and that's why we won't see them unless they're leaked. While he may have done nothing illegal (or even too aggressive), the simple fact of the rate itself would lead to a discussion that Republicans will not want to have on taxes and fairness. This is really a no win situation for Mitt and them. If they get leaked/release and I'm correct on the rate prediction (which I base on the fact that he paid 14% in years he knew he'd need to release when he knew he was running for President) and it breaks the wrong way with the public, despite all of Obama's problems, the race could be over by August....

Edited by MattM

I'll take the bait. Why? Personally, my best guess is that he paid 10% or less in at least some of the years we haven't seen and that's why we won't see them unless they're leaked. While he may have done nothing illegal (or even too aggressive), the simple fact of the rate itself would lead to a discussion that Republicans will not want to have on taxes and fairness. This is really a no win situation for Mitt and them. If they get leaked/release and I'm correct on the rate prediction (which I base on the fact that he paid 14% in years he knew he'd need to release when he knew he was running for President) and it breaks the wrong way with the public, despite all of Obama's problems, the race could be over by August....

At least your honest in admitting you want him to release it to !@#$ over his campaign. I respect the honesty.

Forget about Romney's tax returns, Matt, much less the race being over before the elections. It's a dead issue because Dem congresspeople are now scared shitless at the prospect of having their tax returns called into question. Because you know that many of them used insider trading to make good money that is taxed at capital gains rates.