PRESSURE to win in 2012

Do you think the Bills have any more inordinate PRESSURE to win (=playoffs) than any of the other teams?

Adding to the PRESSURE:

- 400 year PO drought (embellishment)

- 3rd year of ChaNix dynasty

- Recent FA signings

- what seems like decent drafting lately

- Fitz in year 7/8 (he should start playing better, yes?)

- Always a cloud hanging over the franchise about the future, need to make the team as marketable as possible.

- The Fans

- The media (local and national)

- The Sabres recent moves centered around rebuilding

- The Toronto game?

- Gads of injuries lately (although one could probably use this as an excuse to relieve pressure)

- Remember the "laughingstock" label? I think there is still some residue there that can only truly be lifted by success.

Relieving the PRESSURE:

- Low expectations from recent past failures (Same old Bills)

- They haven't been on top for a while, so there'll be more PRESSURE on the other team, right?

- Easier schedule?

- more experience all around

- what seems like a solid, committed locker room

- Home field advantage (Weather and 12th man for 7.341 games)

- Possibility that 2 teams in AFC East took a step back (Jests and Dolfishes)

Now, we didn't win the SB last year so we don't have to worry about that.

Are there other factors I have omitted that can enhance or curb this PRESSURE?

You tell me.

Most pressure is on fitz. I think he gets replaced if we win less than 9 games. I dont think Chan gets fired unless we win 6 or less. Buddy loves him some Chan.

I completely agree. Although, I get the feeling Chan survives a disaster of season.

I think the rest of the team goes into the season with a chip on the shoulder but no added pressure. These players seem to buy into the coaching staff and I think that alleviates some of the pressure on individual performance.

Most pressure is on fitz. I think he gets replaced if we win less than 9 games. I dont think Chan gets fired unless we win 6 or less. Buddy loves him some Chan.

I don't believe Chan or Buddy are under any win-or-else mandate this year. If things went to crap they would have next year at least. But that isn't going to happen because Chan and Buddy know what they are doing. They may get a bad break here and there but they will win more because they know how.

PTR

The NFL is a results-oriented business and expectations for the Bills are high.

You can't make statements like there is or isn't or will or won't be pressure.

The actual question is at what point (team record) is there pressure for Nix to fire Gailey?

Obviously Nix would have to fire Gailey if the Bills started 0-8.

Just as obviously, 3-5 would be a grey area. There would be some pressure.

If the Bills opened 5-3 there would be zero pressure… except to make the playoffs and win a postseason game.

Pressure on the Bills is like a stock. It'll go up and down depending on their performance.

If they stumble out of the gate, the pressure will mount.

If they come out like gangbusters there will be no pressure, until which time they start losing games in sequence.

But you can let yourself be led by the nose by "results." If you don't get the expected results you have to ask why, not assume that if you lose it can only mean you suck. The Bills have finally gotten on track for success. If we blow things up now I will jump out a window. That would be the height of insanity.

PTR

But you can let yourself be led by the nose by "results." If you don't get the expected results you have to ask why, not assume that if you lose it can only mean you suck. The Bills have finally gotten on track for success. If we blow things up now I will jump out a window. That would be the height of insanity.

PTR

I wasn't suggesting blowing things up but I would say that it's pretty agreed that Nix has built a very nice roster.

If Gailey can't make the parts work, the logical easiest thing to do (non-blowing up) would be to find a new Head Coach to coach the same players… within that model of GMs who run things and believe that HC's can be swapped out.

I don't believe Chan or Buddy are under any win-or-else mandate this year. If things went to crap they would have next year at least. But that isn't going to happen because Chan and Buddy know what they are doing. They may get a bad break here and there but they will win more because they know how.

PTR

You know, this season could go any way - the Bills could come out, have some tough breaks, some bad injuries, some dumb luck, bad calls, etc., and go on a losing streak to start off the year, like the Eagles did last year, and implode. It's within the realm of possible futures, that and everything in between.

However, when I look at this roster, at the players, their past experiences, their character, and especially the mid-season collapse of last season, and then Nix, Wannstedt (who, IMO, will end up being the most important off-season aquisition), and Gailey - these guys have it together. They are not untested. These men have all failed before when there were very high expectations on them - Gailey in the biggest NFL franchise, probably the highest football coaching position in the world, Wannstedt one of the best historical NFL franchises, and Nix has had some very good experience with great men and great organizations failing. All in all, they are, collectively, not looking to end up lame. They are all looking for redemption. This team wants to be great from players to coaches to GM, and by mid-season, if not sooner, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't also playing to give Wilson a shot at seeing his team go all the way while he still can.

There are so many motivators here, and for once, some excellent depth, that I see the 2012 Bills going out and playing very good, almost "who are these guys" kind of good football, and going into their week 9 (with 7 VERY winnable games to go) 5-3, and thinking they could end up, if they play good, winning out. So - IMO, it's a perfect situation: the world expects nothing, but the players and coaches are accountable to each other, and all believe and expect they can play with ANYONE - and all season, not just once in a while when everything falls their way. We will see a confidence this year that we haven't seen since the glory 90's.

This year is make or break for Nix/Gailey 9 wins I think is the minimum for Gailey to keep his job. Fitz's ass is on the line too, while I think he comes back next season for money reasons if the team can't get a winning record its likely that Fitz will have serious competition to take his job.

Fitz, Gailey, Nix, and a lot of the teams major players have got a lot riding on this season. The front office has had 3 off-seasons to mold the roster, the coaching staff has had two seasons to coach their team and install their systems. This is the year where it has to come together.

Every front office builds around the idea of a 3 year plan. Right now its year three and based off of what most teams expect in year three of a rebuilding process its time to really raise the expectations.

Year 1- Tear down the roster, gut older expensive players, trade away older players for draft choices, bring in first draft and free agent class, and use the year as a evaluation of the current roster and to install the systems. Expectations are low 4-5 wins.

Year 2- Now that the weakness of the roster are identified you bring in a second draft and free agency class to start to fill holes and build the roster, and the coaches systems is further instilled. Expectations are usually 6-8 wins.

Year 3- Third draft class and free agency class is brought in to further strengthen the roster and fill more holes. After three waves of improvement and two full years of playing within the coaches system there should be enough talent and experience on the roster to expect a playoff spot or a winning record (9-11 wins).

Like so many things, it depends, doesn't it? If we're losing, how are we losing? Why are we losing? The easy answer is there's a missing piece.

I think the most pressure is on Wannstache and, as his boss, Chan myself. "To whom much is given, much is expected".

The D received the top 4 picks in 2011 and the 1 and 4 pick this year. They had FA signing/resigning in Morrison and Barnett last year. Then Ralph got out the checkbook for Super Mario and Anderson.

This year, the D needs to take a big step forward. If they don't, given the quality of the players they have, don't you think the finger has to point at the coaches as that "missing piece"?

LIkewise I think Fitz is expected to take a step forward. He's been given help on OL and a new quarterback coach. If the D is doing its part and he still leads the league in INTs, I think he's in trouble win or lose.

If we're losing and it points to QB as the missing piece, he may well be replaced.

I personally believe the Bills draft a QB high next year win or lose, and whether or not Fitz succeeds. If he succeeds, the Bills will want to ensure continued success by grooming their next guy.

If he fails, the Bills will be looking at a FA as well as looking for their QB of the future.

Most pressure is on fitz. I think he gets replaced if we win less than 9 games.

Interesting take on pressure from Fitzpatrick himself: linky to transcript linky to interview linky to video (video is worth watching, comes across a bit differently - the quote below is about 6 minutes in)

(below is from transcript but edited to match video)

On how much pressure is on him as the QB:

I love it. If I did not love it I do not think I would play the position of QB. That is why we do it. I want all of the pressure to fall on me so the other guys can just go out there and play. Me being one of the older guys in the huddle, especially with our skill players, I love taking the pressure. It takes it off of them. They are able to just go out there and play. My shoulders are big enough for that and that is something that I enjoy.

What convinces you that you can be up to the task for 16 games:

I have a lot of belief in myself and I think that if I did not believe in myself I probably would have quit playing football after I was done at Harvard. I do not think many people believed in me. Where I am today, maybe at times it seemed like a dream for me. If I could look back now on where I was then, I have a ton of belief in myself. The self confidence is something that is huge at the QB position. I am ready to go out there and play. I have proved it. I have showed it. I have played well in stretches. But, I think consistency is the big thing and I know I can do it.

Fitz seems relaxed and sincere when he's talking about the pressure on him as a positive thing "I love it, my shoulders are big enough, the other guys can just go out there and play".

He also comes across as genuine talking about believing himself and self-confidence - low key "I know I can do it", not at all as though he's trying to persuade himself.

Edited by Hopeful

1342932405[/url]' post='2510191']

You know, this season could go any way - the Bills could come out, have some tough breaks, some bad injuries, some dumb luck, bad calls, etc., and go on a losing streak to start off the year, like the Eagles did last year, and implode. It's within the realm of possible futures, that and everything in between.

However, when I look at this roster, at the players, their past experiences, their character, and especially the mid-season collapse of last season, and then Nix, Wannstedt (who, IMO, will end up being the most important off-season aquisition), and Gailey - these guys have it together. They are not untested. These men have all failed before when there were very high expectations on them - Gailey in the biggest NFL franchise, probably the highest football coaching position in the world, Wannstedt one of the best historical NFL franchises, and Nix has had some very good experience with great men and great organizations failing. All in all, they are, collectively, not looking to end up lame. They are all looking for redemption. This team wants to be great from players to coaches to GM, and by mid-season, if not sooner, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't also playing to give Wilson a shot at seeing his team go all the way while he still can.

There are so many motivators here, and for once, some excellent depth, that I see the 2012 Bills going out and playing very good, almost "who are these guys" kind of good football, and going into their week 9 (with 7 VERY winnable games to go) 5-3, and thinking they could end up, if they play good, winning out. So - IMO, it's a perfect situation: the world expects nothing, but the players and coaches are accountable to each other, and all believe and expect they can play with ANYONE - and all season, not just once in a while when everything falls their way. We will see a confidence this year that we haven't seen since the glory 90's.

Post of the year!

SO - BB backwards- you should be in Motivational Speaking.

Only 2 ways I see Gailey getting fired after this season.

1) Abysmal record (5 wins or less). Though Chan could receive a stay of execution even in this case with the tried and true Bills excuses of injuries, bad breaks, and refs hating the Bills.

2) Mediocre record (6-8 wins) with clear evidence that coaching mistakes were to blame for several losses.

Otherwise I can't imagine Mr. Wilson not staying the course.

Bingo!!! It's all on Fitz to take this team to the Playoffs. Buddy put all his chips in on Fitz. The thing most people are forgetting is that You gotta score Touchdowns in the NFL. Mario Williams Can't do that... We may have a better Defence, But as far as I'm concerned we go as far as Fitz goes.

If he fails the whole regime will be under the scope!!!

Bingo!!! It's all on Fitz to take this team to the Playoffs. Buddy put all his chips in on Fitz. The thing most people are forgetting is that You gotta score Touchdowns in the NFL. Mario Williams Can't do that... We may have a better Defence, But as far as I'm concerned we go as far as Fitz goes.

If he fails the whole regime will be under the scope!!!

If Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay can score TDs, I sure hope Williams can, just as long as he doesn't hurt himself. ;)

The pressure falls squarely on Gailey's shoulders. He has to realize that Fitz is a good QB and shouldn't be throwing the ball 30-40 times per game. He has two versatile RBs who should touch the ball 30-40 times per game combined. He has a proven DC and a ton of depth. The Bills are a playoff team if Gaily runs a balanced attack (barring catastrophic injuries).

I felt that as a Bills fans we were getting over excited about this team. However, I went on vacation a few days ago and of course I was wearinig my Bills hat constintley. I can't tell you the number of people I had a conversation with that said the Bills were going to be great and they really liked our team. I don't know maybe it made me feel better to hear other people, besides Bills fans, say the Bills looked good this year. So is there pressure on the Bills this year, yes, because I think everyone is now buying into the Bills being a playoff team.

Given the history of Phillips, Mularkey, Williams, Jauron, it would definitely suggest that this is a make or break year for Gailey. Even with the Phillips teams making the playoffs the first two years in a row, he was gone after failing to do so in year 3. Let's face some facts here too.

These guys were all starters in Gailey's first year and still are today:

R.Fitzpatrick, F.Jackson, S.Johnson, A.Levitre, E.Wood, K.Williams, J.Byrd, R.Lindell, B.Moorman

These guys were starters in Gailey's first year and will still see time on the field:

C.Kelsay, L.McKelvin

Since 2010, there are 12 new starters on offense and defense. That's basically about 50% turnover of the starters. Of those 12, 2 came by way of free agency this year and 2 came through the draft. Of the remaining roster, the turnover rate is even higher. Probably closer to 80% of the roster is new since 2010.

The over/under for wins right now for this team is 7. Over -110, Under -120. Odds makers don't favor them at this point to make the playoffs, and the betting lines haven't really moved that much since the Williams and Anderson acquisitions. Bills fans are of course optimistic because I think they feel that for once in a long time, the team not only did the right thing in the draft, but also made the biggest splash of anyone in free agency.

I guess the conclusion that I come to here is that there is going to be some pressure to win games this year. However, I don't know if it's the playoffs or bust for Gailey. I think that if the team wins 8 or 9 games that he'll have another year, or at least another part of a year to make it happen. On Fitzpatrick, I'm not so sure. If the defense brings it like we think they're going to and gives Fitzpatrick a cushion to play (i.e. he's not playing from behind all the time), he can't have the turnovers he had last season. If he does, he'll be riding the pine by mid season.

I imagine very few make it to the nfl without already being the sort that self inflicts way more pressure than any externality. This make the environmental pressure irrelevant. And chan/ nix have no need to succumb to pressure, they have a plan, they are executing it, and we are about to get to the next milestone for measuring and reevaluating.

So far I'd say they can check off the attitude make over portion of the plan.

I felt that as a Bills fans we were getting over excited about this team. However, I went on vacation a few days ago and of course I was wearinig my Bills hat constintley. I can't tell you the number of people I had a conversation with that said the Bills were going to be great and they really liked our team. I don't know maybe it made me feel better to hear other people, besides Bills fans, say the Bills looked good this year. So is there pressure on the Bills this year, yes, because I think everyone is now buying into the Bills being a playoff team.

I hope your name doesn't relate to you also being a fan of the Cubs, as well as the Bills. That is a tandem losing streak few can handle.

I hope your name doesn't relate to you also being a fan of the Cubs, as well as the Bills. That is a tandem losing streak few can handle.

Haha! No, the Cub refers to young. I can't even imagine being a Cubs fan, they are terrible, I'm a Yankees fan.

I imagine very few make it to the nfl without already being the sort that self inflicts way more pressure than any externality. This make the environmental pressure irrelevant. And chan/ nix have no need to succumb to pressure, they have a plan, they are executing it, and we are about to get to the next milestone for measuring and reevaluating.

So far I'd say they can check off the attitude make over portion of the plan.

yes sir!

I was about to suggest that working under pressure should be par for the course. and the goal is to win baby.

But i agree,this is a team that wants to bear that load.

Ryan F. had some great things to say about carrying more than the others. If they all think like that you just cant hardly lose.

A true all for one and one for all will get it done. Oh and some awesome players and coaching helps