Aurora Shooting: Does Tighter Gun Control Change the Outcome?

Nice story.............It seems that he is there for all the right reasons.........good for him.

Christian Bale meets with victims of Aurora shooting

Christian Bale arrived in Aurora, Colo. today to visit victims injured during Friday’s shooting at a midnight screening of “The Dark Knight Rises.” The Batman actor was seen at the Medical Center of Aurora, and hospital personnel were overheard saying he was talking to patients.

Petitions asking the actor to visit Aurora were posted on Change.org following Friday’s shooting. Over the weekend, Bale released a statement regarding the massacre, saying “Words cannot express the horror that I feel. I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them.”

Bale himself made the decision to travel to Aurora:

“Mr. Bale is there as himself, not representing Warner Brothers,” said an assistant for Susan Fleishman, executive vice president for Warner Brothers corporate communications.

ABC

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, like this ditty from the currently active righty Obama beat-down thread:

Rob, on 17 July 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

You didn't take that ****. Someone else made it happen.

DC Tom, reply:

Probably the corn farmers. Which is why our tax dollars go to their subsidies.

--------

So here you are defending education grants cuz you drank at that trough, while at the time same bitching about farm subsidies.

First, let me correct you on something: I never got any education grants. Never even got state or school assistance - no grants, fellowships, subsidies, no paid RA or TA positions. Grad school was paid 100% cash.

Next, let me correct your reading comprehension, or lack thereof:

1) You honestly think my response to "You didn't take that ****. Someone else made it happen." was in any way a serious criticism of farm subsidies? It was sarcasm, dipshit. :wallbash: Are you REALLY that mentally challenged?

2) I'm not defending anything; I'm attacking the ridiculous implication that NIH funded a mass shooting.

And you really somehow think you're smarter than me...or anyone else for that matter? I'm not even sure you could beat Dave_in_Norfolk in a game of Go Fish, at this point.

First, let me correct you on something: I never got any education grants. Never even got state or school assistance - no grants, fellowships, subsidies, no paid RA or TA positions. Grad school was paid 100% cash.

LOL and you think with your contradictory posts you should be taken at your word? :doh:

At least could have offered the supporting evidence that your dumb ass posts suggest you weren't academically qualified to receive anything.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

LOL and you think with your contradictory posts you should be taken at your word? :doh:

"Contradictory points"? Because you think my stance on farm subsidies conflicts with my stance on education grants, when I made a joke (note: you're the ONLY one that's taking it as a serious position statement) only tenuously connected to the former that wasn't even so much as a veiled criticism, and said nothing about the latter?

I don't think the problem is that I'm making "contradictory points," genius. :lol: This would probably be a good time for you to declare me a waste of your time and slink away again.

I have to say, though...I'm certainly paying more attention to you now. Your unhinged rants are hilarious.

Next, let me correct your reading comprehension, or lack thereof:

1) You honestly think my response to "You didn't take that ****. Someone else made it happen." was in any way a serious criticism of farm subsidies? It was sarcasm, dipshit. :wallbash: Are you REALLY that mentally challenged?

2) I'm not defending anything; I'm attacking the ridiculous implication that NIH funded a mass shooting.

And you really somehow think you're smarter than me...or anyone else for that matter? I'm not even sure you could beat Dave_in_Norfolk in a game of Go Fish, at this point.

Did you voluntarily turn them down, or were they not offered? With that said, I'm just busting your balls. He's 7 beers light of a six pack.

"Contradictory points"? Because you think my stance on farm subsidies conflicts with my stance on education grants, when I made a joke (note: you're the ONLY one that's taking it as a serious position statement) only tenuously connected to the former that wasn't even so much as a veiled criticism, and said nothing about the latter?

I don't think the problem is that I'm making "contradictory points," genius. :lol: This would probably be a good time for you to declare me a waste of your time and slink away again.

I have to say, though...I'm certainly paying more attention to you now. Your unhinged rants are hilarious.

+1

I may need to start more gun threads just to keep him coming back.

Did you voluntarily turn them down, or were they not offered? With that said, I'm just busting your balls. He's 7 beers light of a six pack.

Bit of both, actually.

It was kind-of a weird situation - I started grad school in the spring semester, when grant money's never available, in part because the department head accepted me into the program one afternoon, then died that night without telling anyone, so I missed the fall semester.

Okay, it was more than kind-of weird. It was seriously weird.

As the criminal investigation proceeds more facts about the assault are pouring in:

- The theater in question has a strict anti-firearm policy

- There were 5 rule-abiding CCW carriers in the crowd who voluntarily disarmed themselves to attend the movie

- There was one criminal in the crowd, intent on harming others, who ignored the gun control measures

As the criminal investigation proceeds more facts about the assault are pouring in:

- The theater in question has a strict anti-firearm policy

- There were 5 rule-abiding CCW carriers in the crowd who voluntarily disarmed themselves to attend the movie

- There was one criminal in the crowd, intent on harming others, who ignored the gun control measures

I thought I read that the town of Aurora doesn't allow concealed carry, not just the theater.

Edit:

I also believe the town has a law against discharging a firearm in public unless you are a police officer.

Seems like this town already had fairly strict gun laws...

Edited by Joe Miner

I thought I read that the town of Aurora doesn't allow concealed carry, not just the theater.

Edit:

I also believe the town has a law against discharging a firearm in public unless you are a police officer.

Which is generally true, but I'm not sure how that applies in a case of defending yourself or others.

Seems like this town already had fairly strict gun laws...

Edited by Joe Miner

I just want to say that while this is in some sense admirable....I hope you aren't implying that those who do take these are bad. I'm probably (just guessing) a bit younger than you...but me and my girlfriend together have pretty high level education and it wouldn't be possible this day in age w/ out all that stuff.

Paid TAs, Work Study (this is huge btw for anyone that's sort of old...people don't really pay interns anymore at least not most...this is the way people get experience a lot of the time you work for free for someone and the government pays you for the employer it's a joke) , loans....school is insane these days and we'll be paying for a LONG time. That said it's still worth it b/c we both got not only a piece of paper...but a non-message board education (and I love message board btw)...but they know people understand a real education is necessary and they charge more and more each year and could care less what the market looks like for young people this day in age.

On that point, President Obama speaks quite a bit on and to a lot of young people this is basically the number one issue they face when trying to start getting on with their earning lives. Education? Check. Job? Check. Huge debt? Check. I'm not crying...and like I said it's worth it IMO so I'm not a "drop out and move on" guy who is against education...but the cost of education is ridiculous. No consumer is society is more ripped of than the student. I'm not looking for people to bail me out...but if that loan forgiveness got cut from 10 to 5...whoo boy...you would have my vote. :)

/unnecessary off topic unprovoked rant

I just want to say that while this is in some sense admirable....I hope you aren't implying that those who do take these are bad. I'm probably (just guessing) a bit younger than you...but me and my girlfriend together have pretty high level education and it wouldn't be possible this day in age w/ out all that stuff.

Paid TAs, Work Study (this is huge btw for anyone that's sort of old...people don't really pay interns anymore at least not most...this is the way people get experience a lot of the time you work for free for someone and the government pays you for the employer it's a joke) , loans....school is insane these days and we'll be paying for a LONG time. That said it's still worth it b/c we both got not only a piece of paper...but a non-message board education (and I love message board btw)...but they know people understand a real education is necessary and they charge more and more each year and could care less what the market looks like for young people this day in age.

On that point, President Obama speaks quite a bit on and to a lot of young people this is basically the number one issue they face when trying to start getting on with their earning lives. Education? Check. Job? Check. Huge debt? Check. I'm not crying...and like I said it's worth it IMO so I'm not a "drop out and move on" guy who is against education...but the cost of education is ridiculous. No consumer is society is more ripped of than the student. I'm not looking for people to bail me out...but if that loan forgiveness got cut from 10 to 5...whoo boy...you would have my vote. :)

/unnecessary off topic unprovoked rant

No, not implying that at all. It was a personal choice, based on my own values, that I wouldn't inflict on others. And while I take a certain pride in being able to do it (I worked my ass off to accomplish it), I don't believe for a second it grants me any superiority to others.

If only because, I'm superior in so many other ways, why would I dwell on something that banal? :D

No, not implying that at all. It was a personal choice, based on my own values, that I wouldn't inflict on others. And while I take a certain pride in being able to do it (I worked my ass off to accomplish it), I don't believe for a second it grants me any superiority to others.

If only because, I'm superior in so many other ways, why would I dwell on something that banal? :D

Just saying I worked my ass off too. 15 credit hours when in school for thousands of dollars a semester (not including living and factoring in some scholarship though not as much as some) plus about 20 hours a week (for the most part work study at 10ish dollars an hour) ... I was pretty busy working my ass off but it wasn't close to paying the bills. I'm not saying you are imposing your superior ways on me lol...I'm just saying I really don't see how there was any way to come pay for that.

Basically I'm just saying you can't really work your way through most advanced degrees these days without substantial debt unless you have the mother of all scholarships or parents paying a huge portion of that. I know at one point it wasn't that way. But now it isn't. And I'm not saying people didn't take on debt in the past. But it's a different thing now. And politically it's coming...speak to the youth republicans. We're not welfare queens. We're educated working Americans and we got issues.

Edited by TheNewBills

Basically I'm just saying you can't really work your way through most advanced degrees these days without substantial debt unless you have the mother of all scholarships or parents paying a huge portion of that. I know at one point it wasn't that way. But now it isn't. And I'm not saying people didn't take on debt in the past. But it's a different thing now. And politically it's coming...speak to the youth republicans. We're not welfare queens. We're educated working Americans and we got issues.

I am looking a picking up another degree, intending, again, to pay my own way, sans any long term debt.

Yeah, that idea is a little more challenging this time around. It was definitely easier when I got my master's about 20 years ago than it is now.

Then why do you own a unsellable house with a broken foundation?

When Tom's Grandfather came to America he only had 37 cents in his pockets.......................and $74,000 sewed into the lining of his coat.