Dark Knight Rises - Midnight Screening Roll-Call

ajzepp

I just figured if Wayne saw the tat/scar/whatever, that he would've instantly been suspicious of her. But he wasn't....

Yeah, you make an interesting point...will have to see if anything comes up about that in interviews or whatever.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the tat/scar I knew she was a bad guy. I didn't remember the tat/scar being a sign of TLOS from the first movie (if it's there), but I figured that if it was being focused-on, it meant it was important. I didn't put it together that she was the "boy" from the prison though.

And was Tom Hardy CG'd? "Bane" was gigantic and bigger than what I've seen of Tom Hardy.

Wow, Harry Knowles, someone I agree with way more often than not, is just KILLING this film...I guess if you're a diehard comic guy and well-versed on Batman lore, this film was pretty controversial...I guess that's why I didn't have this same reaction. Wow, I'm really shocked by this! He does make some good points, particularly about Alfred, which is something that did bother me a little during the film.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57109

Wow, Harry Knowles, someone I agree with way more often than not, is just KILLING this film...I guess if you're a diehard comic guy and well-versed on Batman lore, this film was pretty controversial...I guess that's why I didn't have this same reaction. Wow, I'm really shocked by this! He does make some good points, particularly about Alfred, which is something that did bother me a little during the film.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57109

Nolan is so caught up on making it real, that he only makes it real mediocre.

When it comes down to it, THIS is his real problem. He just doesn't like Nolan's version of his beloved comic character. Fair enough, but I really don't understand the pure surprise and indignity. TDKR was pretty much exactly what I expected after the first two movies...it fit perfectly into the world Nolan created.

There are definitely things about the movie I didn't like. I agree about Alfred leaving. I hated the jail scene and the apparent 5 month recovery from a broken back. And I really hated them showing Bruce at the end. That just seems so VERY un-Nolan like. I will also say that while the second movie really seemed to thrive on a huge storyline, this one suffered. I think the movie could have benefited from a more streamlined story.

But overall I loved the "realistic" version of the Batman world in all 3 movies. I don't see a problem with a fairly "normal" Bane being able to kick Batman's ass. After all, they were trained the same way and Bane came from some seriously F'ed up background (more so than Bruce). IMO one of the things that makes Batman such a kickass character (that he doesn't have superhuman powers, but a superhuman spirit) was the exact thing that makes this version of Bane such a scary villain.

Eh..I could go on all day, but really that article read like a whining baby upset that the movies are ending.

When it comes down to it, THIS is his real problem. He just doesn't like Nolan's version of his beloved comic character. Fair enough, but I really don't understand the pure surprise and indignity. TDKR was pretty much exactly what I expected after the first two movies...it fit perfectly into the world Nolan created.

I actually agree with a lot of what he writes. Yeah, he's whiny about it and could work on his presentation, but he's spot on a lot of times:

* The fights are all toe to toe fights, Batman doesn’t use his environment.

* At this point BATMAN is in a prison somewhere in the world (shot in India – it’s supposed to be the same place that BANE was raised in – but is definitely not Caribbean in nature) This is done so quickly that you’re not really sure how or when exactly Bane decided to take Bruce Wayne to the other side of the world, before flying halfway around the world again to destroy Gotham.

* His back apparently has a vertebrae protruding out of socket, but after the prison chiropractor hits the vertebrae back in place, it just takes Wayne a few weeks to get back on his feet.

* Meanwhile all the Gotham police are stuck in a sewer for the same amount of time, but don’t worry they’ll emerge looking clean and healthy.

* When the film hits this section, logic goes every which way. You never really get a sense of the passage of time. (I REALLY agree with this - it was jarring to me that all that time passed and if it weren't snowing, I don't think I would've picked up on it)

* I mean, you have a city with a strange respirator men with an army of thugs and every hardened criminal in the city – and it doesn’t end up looking like Old Detroit from ROBOCOP? I mean – there’s 1000s armed bad guys and the city isn’t being raped and pillaged. Instead they set up courts to make people walk on ice?

He hits the nail on the head with this line:

This isn’t an embarrassing chapter. But it is by far the most inept of Nolan’s run. The lack of impact this film gave me was genuinely shocking.

Like I said, it's not a bad movie, it's better than most, but it's nowhere near as good as the first two in my opinion.

There are definitely things about the movie I didn't like. I agree about Alfred leaving. I hated the jail scene and the apparent 5 month recovery from a broken back. And I really hated them showing Bruce at the end. That just seems so VERY un-Nolan like. I will also say that while the second movie really seemed to thrive on a huge storyline, this one suffered. I think the movie could have benefited from a more streamlined story.

But overall I loved the "realistic" version of the Batman world in all 3 movies. I don't see a problem with a fairly "normal" Bane being able to kick Batman's ass. After all, they were trained the same way and Bane came from some seriously F'ed up background (more so than Bruce). IMO one of the things that makes Batman such a kickass character (that he doesn't have superhuman powers, but a superhuman spirit) was the exact thing that makes this version of Bane such a scary villain.

Eh..I could go on all day, but really that article read like a whining baby upset that the movies are ending.

Well said.

I actually agree with a lot of what he writes. Yeah, he's whiny about it and could work on his presentation, but he's spot on a lot of times:

* At this point BATMAN is in a prison somewhere in the world (shot in India – it’s supposed to be the same place that BANE was raised in – but is definitely not Caribbean in nature) This is done so quickly that you’re not really sure how or when exactly Bane decided to take Bruce Wayne to the other side of the world, before flying halfway around the world again to destroy Gotham.

* His back apparently has a vertebrae protruding out of socket, but after the prison chiropractor hits the vertebrae back in place, it just takes Wayne a few weeks to get back on his feet.

* Meanwhile all the Gotham police are stuck in a sewer for the same amount of time, but don’t worry they’ll emerge looking clean and healthy.

* When the film hits this section, logic goes every which way. You never really get a sense of the passage of time. (I REALLY agree with this - it was jarring to me that all that time passed and if it weren't snowing, I don't think I would've picked up on it)

* I mean, you have a city with a strange respirator men with an army of thugs and every hardened criminal in the city – and it doesn’t end up looking like Old Detroit from ROBOCOP? I mean – there’s 1000s armed bad guys and the city isn’t being raped and pillaged. Instead they set up courts to make people walk on ice?

This isn’t an embarrassing chapter. But it is by far the most inept of Nolan’s run. The lack of impact this film gave me was genuinely shocking.

Like I said, it's not a bad movie, it's better than most, but it's nowhere near as good as the first two in my opinion.

This is really interesting...as I was watching it, and even after it was over and it was settling in my brain, I really didn't figure this film would be so polarizing. Even with the mild WTF issues, I was completely entertained for the entire 3hr (including previews), so it's really surprising me how much some people disliked it. TDK held up really well with me...I've seen it several times and each time I have a blast with it, particularly Ledger's role. I'm going to be interested to see how eager I am for repeated viewings of this one.

Wow, Knowles needs to relax. Alas, you are not going to please everybody.

I thoroughly enjoyed TDKR, and while Knowles may have a point on some scenes, there are a few scenes in both "Batman Begins" & "The Dark Knight", that are too outlandish and ridiculous as well.

Sometimes you have to go in and just try to be entertained and not nitpick about every scene.

I loved the movie. I knew they completely butchered the Bane character, and they turned him into a Ras Al Ghoul clone, but he was still entertaining. Not as good as the first two, but a respectable end to the franchise, and I LOVED that they left it open for the Justice League. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!

The *idea* of Batman IS ridiculous.

That being said, I found TDKR the best of the trilogy and a rare occasion where the third film was better than the first. It was an entire movie about redemption. Every character sought it in one way or the other, even the villains. It was sort of like watching Inception with Batman.

One aspect of the film among many that I thought made it superior and that I enjoyed is that Batman couldn't beat Bane 1 on 1. This movie finally delivered an adversary that probably had the goods on the protagonist and superhero in this case. That fight scene was well scripted, directed and shot...and brutal.

The *idea* of Batman IS ridiculous.

That being said, I found TDKR the best of the trilogy and a rare occasion where the third film was better than the first. It was an entire movie about redemption. Every character sought it in one way or the other, even the villains. It was sort of like watching Inception with Batman.

One aspect of the film among many that I thought made it superior and that I enjoyed is that Batman couldn't beat Bane 1 on 1. This movie finally delivered an adversary that probably had the goods on the protagonist and superhero in this case. That fight scene was well scripted, directed and shot...and brutal.

Agree totally...good points. I don't get the criticism of the Bane v. Batman scenes...as I was watching it, I less concerned about Batman winning and focused on whether he'd be able to just get the fug outta there. Also loved the fact that Bane pounded in his head gear...that was badass.

I loved the movie. I knew they completely butchered the Bane character, and they turned him into a Ras Al Ghoul clone, but he was still entertaining. Not as good as the first two, but a respectable end to the franchise, and I LOVED that they left it open for the Justice League. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!

If Avengers was any indication (in terms of fan response to a multi-superhero film...I know DC and Marvel are different), a Justice League film would be pure epicness.

Wow, Knowles needs to relax. Alas, you are not going to please everybody.

I thoroughly enjoyed TDKR, and while Knowles may have a point on some scenes, there are a few scenes in both "Batman Begins" & "The Dark Knight", that are too outlandish and ridiculous as well.

Sometimes you have to go in and just try to be entertained and not nitpick about every scene.

Sometimes these hardcore comic fans just aren't satisfied unless EVERYTHING is how it is in the comics. From that standpoint, I'm glad I'm not a comic guy. I know how cool it is to see a book, or comic, or tv show, etc to come to life on the big screen, but I think the writer/director should be able to have some license in terms of the story. I'm a fan of Harry's, but I agree that he's a bit over the top on this one.

Edited by ajzepp

Sometimes these hardcore comic fans just aren't satisfied unless EVERYTHING is how it is in the comics. From that standpoint, I'm glad I'm not a comic guy. I know how cool it is to see a book, or comic, or tv show, etc to come to life on the big screen, but I think the writer/director should be able to have some license in terms of the story. I'm a fan of Harry's, but I agree that he's a bit over the top on this one.

That's the thing, I'm NOT a big comic guy. I've never read a Batman comic before. And I really don't see how anyone can say the third one is the best in the trilogy. :blink: Yes, it was an entertaining and fun movie and better than most movies, but I still don't think it was put together anywhere near as good as the first two. To each their own. :)

Saw the movie on Friday night and here is my thoughts:

I enjoyed the movie, thought it had good pace to it, no extremely slow spots. I thought Ann Hathaway did a wonderful job, so much so that I thought Catwomen didn't get enough screen time. I loved the little bits that Nolan added to her character, not making it about cats, but that she was a cat burgler. No whip, no cheesy pantent leather. Her glasses when put up made cat ears, thought that was a nice touch.

Banes character I had mixed feelings about. But thought overall Tom Hardy did a great job.

As far as the trilogy is concerned, for me, I put this as the second best film. Still think the first is the best and oddly the TDK is last. The first to me, flew completely under the radar. After the absolutely TERRIBLE Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, Batman Begins reestablished my faith in Hollywood as far as super herores are concerned. I know, I know, everyone thinks TDK was the best. For me, it just wasn't. I honestly think if Heath Ledger hadn't died, fans would have been way more critical. Yes, Ledger knocked it out of the park, but IMO there are some REALLY REALLY slow parts in TDK.

Overall I thought TDKR did a great job of wrapping up the series.

I have a feeling that Nolan left the door open for a Justice League movie should "Man of Steel" prove to have the success of "Batman Begins".

A Justice League movie would do as well as the "Avengers" did. Superman is a tale that was best told with the original movies and the new ones have fallen far short, whereas Batman was made campy with the Tim Burton movies and successfully rebooted by Nolan with the much darker "Dark Knight" Batman. But Superman isn't a "dark knight" because he didn't and doesn't suffer from the same problems Bruce Wayne did/does (to me there's Superman...and everyone else). I don't have high hopes for "Man of Steel," but I'll see it eventually.

Fez, I have to take issue with your first point about how all of the encounters with Bane were face to face and Batman didn't use is environment. He was tricked into the first fight, being locked in that sewer area with Bane. Up until that point, he was sneaking up on everyone. He did try to use some stealth after getting his ass kicked, but Bane was just as good and saw through it.

As for the final fight, it happened in the middle of the day. He has no environment to take advantage of. If you remember from the first two movies, Batman only works at night, where he can take full advantage of the dark. The only other time in the three movies that he did anything in day time was when he stopped people from killing Reese (the guy who was going to reveal his identity) in the second movie. And when he did that, he went out as Bruce Wayne.

So in not taking advantage of the elements to fight Bane, he had no choice and that was pretty clear throughout the movie.

Just in case, I'll say that this post is full of spoilers

The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was how the over did the enhancing of Bane's voice. I guess it was necessary though. Anyway, Hardy completely won me over near the end with the Talia reveal. The look in his eyes of pure love for her as she told the story was amazing. With as ruthless as he was, I almost actually felt bad for him at that point.

As for the ending, I felt like something may have been missing at my showing. There was an awkward cut with a bit of a red flash between the scene where Blake was going into the cave and the shot of Alfred nodding as he saw (or thought he saw) Bruce. Did anyone else have that at their showing or am I just imagining things. I guess I'll just have to go see it again (IMAX) to know for sure.

edit: I also want to add that I thought it started a bit slow, but once Bane showed up in Gotham, it was a constant thrill. I really want to go to an IMAX showing just to see the scene where he isolated the city.

Saw it at the IMAX late last night, and I agree with this, I couldn't make out some of his lines. I don't like Donald Duck cartoons either. :thumbdown: Other than that, it was pretty damn good, though I don't know if it was better than TDK (seemed quite a bit longer + less Batman).

Saw it at the IMAX late last night, and I agree with this, I couldn't make out some of his lines. I don't like Donald Duck cartoons either. :thumbdown: Other than that, it was pretty damn good, though I don't know if it was better than TDK (seemed quite a bit longer + less Batman).

I had hear that there were a couple extra issues with the Bane voice in IMAX due to the sound system they use. I have no idea if that's the case though.

Saw TDKR at the matinee yesterday, and freaking loved it. I watched BB and TDK on Saturday to prepare, and really glad I did -- the story was fresh so there was no "catching up."

Aside from the obligatory suspension of reality that is necessary when watching any superhero movie, I couldn't have been more pleased. Yes, there are always things that bug me, but I choose to not let them interfere with my enjoyment of the film.

This one had me guessing throughout, and yes, I'm a sucker for the "blue skies" ending. Well done, Nolan.

A Justice League movie would do as well as the "Avengers" did. Superman is a tale that was best told with the original movies and the new ones have fallen far short, whereas Batman was made campy with the Tim Burton movies and successfully rebooted by Nolan with the much darker "Dark Knight" Batman. But Superman isn't a "dark knight" because he didn't and doesn't suffer from the same problems Bruce Wayne did/does (to me there's Superman...and everyone else). I don't have high hopes for "Man of Steel," but I'll see it eventually.

I'm not as interested in Superman because he's a guy born on ANOTHER planet without any equal on Earth.

He's got all these special powers but there's no real "danger" thus making the plot no matter who makes it, very formulaic. Absolute power doesn't make for a thrilling movie.

I'm not as interested in Superman because he's a guy born on ANOTHER planet without any equal on Earth.

He's got all these special powers but there's no real "danger" thus making the plot no matter who makes it, very formulaic. Absolute power doesn't make for a thrilling movie.

Zod will be in this movie, so there is in fact an equal on Earth. I guess that actually means the odds are stacked against him if it's like Superman 2 where Zod had his two cronies.