Stephon Gilmore...not intelligent?

eball

I was in the car briefly this morning and was listening to Sirius NFL radio. The commentator who was on with Vic Carucci was talking about the mental aspect of the game, specifically QBs, but then tied it into other 1st round picks. He mentioned Poe (Memphis DE) as somebody who has off the charts talent but "should" have dominated more in college. I was then shocked to hear him say Gilmore was a guy he thought should have been a "late first rounder," implying he doesn't think he has it upstairs. Carucci didn't say anything and then I think they went to commercial.

I've not heard anyone question Gilmore's intelligence previously, and by all accounts he looked the role of a starter during OTAs and minicamp. He was anything but overwhelmed with the transition from college. Where is this coming from?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its probably coming from his thick southern drawl and slow speech. That's unfortunate because one's intelligence should not be determined by that. I have not seen any other reports questioning his intelligence.

If that's the case, I'm curious what he thinks about McKelvin.

I don't know how high his IQ is, or how high he scored on the wonderlic, but I do know Buddy Nix has spoken very highly of Gilmore's ability to pick up the defense, the assignments, and how he has shown himself to be a very quick study - that Gilmore is ahead of where they thought he'd be, and they thought he'd be good. So, whoever is spouting that garbage, as is so often the case with national analysis of Bills players, hasn't done their homework. Gilmore has more than enough intelligence to be a very good football player for Buffalo.

I can't and won't speak to Gilmore's intellect. Nor, do I consider it an essential.

IIRC, Nate Odoms couldn't count. But he was a great CB. There may be something to that - not being genius and forgetting the previous play. Certainly a key for the position.

He may speak slow and I think part of that is him not comfortable being in front of a camera etc but everything hes said thus far- he seems mature, intelligent and focused. And as someone else pointed out he's picked up the defense well. These guys need a football IQ. They may not all be scholars but if they have the football IQ they can succeed. That being said, from his comments I dont see success/money going to his head. He seems grounded and focused on his job....

i'm sick of people saying professional football players aren't intelligent. how did they get into college if they're so dumb?

I would say playing football and getting a scholarship got him into college. Then he either rode a bike, rode in a car, or walked to class! Just a guess!

I would say playing football and getting a scholarship got him into college. Then he either rode a bike, rode in a car, or walked to class! Just a guess!

You think they went to class??? Come on. You know they pay for their grades.

youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Kinda how I feel after a McKelvin interview.