Could WR D. Hagan become the #2 WR for the Bills??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just cant count Easley in yet. at all. but if he is all folks hope he will hit # 2 on the charts.

i will stick with Hagan starts in a 5 man roster. for now. we shall see in a couple weeks eh?

It's going to be tough.

One thing I'd like to know is whether Easley could go on the practice squad. It's his 3rd year in the league, but he hasn't dressed for a single game. Anyone know?

I think it would be hard for Nix to cut a 4th round draft choice without his playing a down. But I could see it happening if Hagen and Jones outplay him.

I could see him clearing waivers and making the PS if he's eligible, just because of the injury/illness history making it unlikely another team would take a chance.

Naaman's main problem, I think, is that he doesn't "look like a head coach wants his wide receivers to look". He's not big and he's not fast. Is being tough and elusive enough?

Sadly, my guess is "no", and he's no longer PS eligible. I can see him getting picked up within the division and haunting us.

Hazy mind. Not sure...!? (About Jones coming in with high expectations vice being UDFA from small school)

Jones wiki - signed as UDFA in 2010 from that football powerhouse Youngstown State.

One Scouting Report predicted 7th round draft choice.

He only played college football for 2 years. Listed as having "below average speed" - 4.47 40 though.

Interesting same source (yeah I know I know) has Naaman as a mid-round selection.

I think the disparity where he, too, went undrafted reflects the premium placed on size and speed over college production, in the NFL today.

Roosevelt is listed as having a 40 time of 4.6 and he looks smaller than the 6'0" he's listed at on the Bills roster.

Edited by Hopeful

I don't know why anyone would want Derek Hagan to be our #2 receiver. If Hagan is #2 then the Bills are in trouble.

Here's why: Good size, blocking, speed, plays with an attitude, productive, has experience and gets great separation. Caught everything we threw at him last year.

He will beat out Easley in camp and contribute this year for our team. He's the same body and speed type as Easley but he has a 100 NFL catches and a half dozen TD's compared to Easley's zero production.

They will platoon Jones and Hagan for that 3rd spot behind Stevie and Nelson, and bring in Graham for the 4th WR field stretcher when Chan wants to keep defenses honest.

I think Easley, Ruvell, Aiken, Namaan get the onion this year.

I don't take it for granted that Brad Smith makes the team.

He was a pretty big disappointment running the wildcat and returning kicks - if Vince Young does well enough adn can run the W/C, I could see Smith gone.

Jones is my #1 guy I don't get on the roster. Coaches love him - I can't see a thing in games he does that makes him anything more than backup material. I'd rather have Roosevelt or Aiken with their size and hands.

Brad Smith is the 3rd qb, the rules change makes this a certainty. He will run the wildcat as stated by Gailey, and spent the entire offseason as a qb so coach Lee could assess his skill set. He will be the 6th WR as well as the 3rd and wildcat qb.

also i believe the coaching staff was higher on Easley last preseason than they were on Jones, however the heart condition ended that.

I would keep Jones but Hagan is smooth out there. If we keep using 4 wides, I hope Hagan is #2 0r #3. I like David Nelson also.

You know that Hagan is smooth how?

I am all for Hagan being smooth. And i am not being a wienershnitzel. i hope.

But if you know something we should know....

Nelson's a lock but he not a traditional two either.

And guys, I think we should define the #2. and the one maybe to move on.

we all agree that we do not have an old school wr type of offense. But we still need that Type of player dont we? a guy that has some break away speed. hopefully he can catch too! and can get tuned up with Fitz. is key.

Chan moves all the guys around and that's his way of messing with the defense.

But we need a guy over there. That will allow Stevie to do what he does best. Get open. We dont have an elite #1 in the locker room right now so we need someone fast that can get respect. over there at #2. I think we have one already.

I like hagan's size and play-making ability. I thought that he really started to show something towards the end of the year last year when he finally go the chance to play. This guy is a keeper. He is ready to contribute in a big way this year.

Here's the skinny on him in case you weren't aware of what he brings to the table:

1. He has prototypical WR size and speed. He is 6'2", 210 lbs, and ran a 4.45 40 at his NFL combine.

2. His college numbers show he has potential to put up big numbers. His sophomore, junior, and senior years at Arizona State all saw him putting up more than 1000 yards receiving and more than 8 TDs. Twice he was a Biletnikoff finalist.

3. He has many of ASU's record. He finished his career as their all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, and 100-yard games.

4. As a rookie, many people viewed him as having potential. He was drafted in the 3rd round by Miami despite a poor showing at the Senior Bowl.

5. He started his career with the Joey Harrington led Miami Dolphins and was cut shortly after their 1-15 season. Not exactly the best franchise to start your career with.

6. Prior to last year, he had only earned 7 starts in the NFL. He has yet to really have the opportunity to shine.

7. He has experience. He has played on a variety of teams in a variety of systems. He has spent seven years in the NFL, learning and studying to become a better player.

8. He has matured. He told Chris Brown that he feels that he has learned from his mistakes and is a better player as a result of his experience in the league.

9. He learned the Bills' playbook fast and quickly got in sync with Fitz last season.

10. He performed well when he was given the opportunity last year. Despite not joining the Bills until week 12, he caught 13 balls for the Bills and had a fantastic game against the Pats (7 catches 89 yards).

Your thoughts on Hagan??

I am interested in the unknowns about this guy, and will be watching the battle for the #2 slot closely, but I think a lot of people take Donald Jones for granted, he must have more talent than we have seen given his unfortunate ankle injuries last year. And let's not forget Marcus Easley. Just because he hasn't played a regular season game yet, he has shown some serious talent in a very limited amount of evaluation time, and it has been said by many who have seen him practice that he is by far the most athletically talented player on the field. I honestly want to keep all 3 of these guys, and hate to see the Bills lose any of the players I have mentioned. Nevermind the overachieving Roosevelt, this will be one of the toughest decisions for the coaches to make by far.

My guess would be this for the players kept as WR depth:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson (Although I like him, his production was sketchy last year)

4. Derek Hagan

5. Marcus Easley

6. TJ graham

If they went to 7, I'd add Roosevelt to that list.

My take, listed in the order of likelyhood the team keeps the players on the 53 man roster:

1. Stevie Johnson (lock)

2. David Nelson (lock)

3. TJ Graham (lock) - speedster

4. Donald Jones (near-lock) I thought he looked suprisingly good at times (NE), though I wondered if some of it was other teams didn't have much film/notes on him. I don't know why, but I'm not very excited about Jones' future and would not be at all suprised to see one of the below three outplay him by the end of the year. Purely on intuition he seems like a guy that will make the roster this year then fade away.

The next three all have similar height/weight, have considerable upside and have shown flashes of their talent.

5. Derek Hagan - I think he's performing at the highest level now, but has lower upside than the other two below.

6. Marcus Easley - PS flashes, with increasing rep's and responsibility in PS. I'm very eager to see how he looks this year.

7. Kamar Aiken - Also a couple flashes last PS, but not a good as Easley IMO. Would love to keep him on the PS and would not be surpised at all to see him on a roster next year (Bills or otherwise).

I doubt any of these last four make the team.

8a. Naman Roosevelt - All he does is catch the ball very well; he had a great camp and PS last year, and seems to have good chemstry with RF. I think he's the first to get a call if there are injuries and the player/s on PS aren't ready

8b. David Clowney - Clowney might have a chance as Graham's backup. They might want another speedster if speed is important to the design of the offense and they don't want all "eggs" in the TJ basket.

10. Ruvell Martin - I just don't see it. I'd be surprised and disappointed if he makes the team playing anywhere near the level he has so far.

11. Derek Session - He'll need all the stars to align to make the team. I'd be surprised to even see him make the PS.

Practice Squad Eligibility summary:

•Players can't have already been on a practice squad for two or more years, although a third year on the practice squad is possible if a player's team has had at least 53 players on the roster during his entire period of employment (players are deemed to have spent a season on the practice squad if they are on it for three of more regular season or postseason games during their first two years and at least one during their third year)

•Players can't have an accrued season of NFL experience (six or more games on a team's 53-man roster, injured reserve or PUP list), unless they were on the active list (i.e. were dressed to play) for fewer than nine regular season games during their only accrued season(s)

Two questions folks.

Can Easley qualify for PS?

And what are the chances he gets snatched by another team while on PS?

I think also martin is on the way out as we get better depth and some rookies that excel at special teams play

thats gonna be tough. But from what i can gather he knows that he has a lot to prove yet and is willing to get it done.

If we put him on the roster, whether we run five or six we have to give someone away. I dont think this is the best year to develop a WR and see how he pans out for a whole NFL season. aside from TJ of course..

I hope his head being in the playbook for these last couple sidelined years will allow him to ramp up quickly now if his body is willing this year. As mentioned WRs take a couple years to sync with the QB and show why they were signed.

you are too right. This season is it for him. sink or swim i think is the phrase i was looking for.

I had the same question.

I don't think Easley qualifies, unfortunately. Seems IR counts as an accrued season. It's ride or die time for Easley.

Actually, the quote I pasted above says 'Players can't have an accrued season of NFL experience (six or more games on a team's 53-man roster, injured reserve or PUP list), unless they were on the active list (i.e. were dressed to play) for fewer than nine regular season games during their only accrued season(s) "

I think Easley is PS-eligible.

Actually, the quote I pasted above says 'Players can't have an accrued season of NFL experience (six or more games on a team's 53-man roster, injured reserve or PUP list), unless they were on the active list (i.e. were dressed to play) for fewer than nine regular season games during their only accrued season(s) "

I think Easley is PS-eligible.

PS Rulz. Head. Still. Hurts.

Except, that Easley has spent 2 seasons on IR, which appear to count as accrued seasons by the PS rules. So the fewer than 9 games on active list clause doesn't seem to save him.

He needs to keep himself around, I think, by outperforming either Hagen or Jones in training camp/preseason.

PS Rulz. Head. Still. Hurts.

Except, that Easley has spent 2 seasons on IR, which appear to count as accrued seasons by the PS rules. So the fewer than 9 games on active list clause doesn't seem to save him.

He needs to keep himself around, I think, by outperforming either Hagen or Jones in training camp/preseason.

I think the team has had at least 53 players on the roster during his entire period of employment and he's been active for less than 9 games, therefore he's still PS-eligible. But I'm not sure either. (Why can't this be easier to figure out? I can find out in minutes his weight, but not if he's PS-eligible? Why isn't this a standard part of his profile on NFL.com?)

I'm sure several people will write about this in the TC battles-to-watch articles coming soon.

Could he? Yes

Will he? Probably not.

Its not so much that he can't play WR. I think he is one of the tallest receivers on the team and has the most games played next to Steve. He seems to be consistent when looking at the stats but stats don't show what happened in the game.

But the number 2 WR position is only relevant when looking at the depth chart. The Bills run the spread offense, meaning that multiple receivers are on the field. But this isn't Madden where when you run the shotgun, the 1st receiver is always on the right outside, the 2nd receiver is always on the left outside, the 3rd is always on the right slot, and the 4th is always in the left slot; this offense has every receiver playing everywhere. Him making the team depends on how well he knows the playbook.

To me, there are only 1 or 2 spots left depending on how many receivers they keep. If you include Brad Smith, the Bills have 4 locks: Johnson, Nelson, Graham, and Smith.

Two players aren't going to get cut unless they mess up the bed/room/field or whatever your guys' term is on here: Jones and Easley.

That means the Bills already have six receivers on the roster but since Brad is primarily the 3rd QB, they will probably keep one more guy, maybe 2.

Now it all depends on who the Bills want to keep. Do they want Roosevelt who has speed, hands, youth, and experience in the system?

Do they keep Session who has absolutely no experience or any stats in the NFL?

What about Clowney who supposedly has wheels and could become a nice compliment next to Graham?

There's also Ruvell Martin who started off hot in GB and has slowly declined into oblivion.

Finally, we have Derek Hagan who has only player 4 games for the Bills but caught 13 passes for an average of 10.6 yards per catch.

So it seems like the only players for a legit shot at the final spot is Roosevelt and Hagan. Hagan has a shot at the 2nd receiver spot but there are a lot more proven players ahead of him so I think his first problem is to make the roster and then he can work his way up the depth chart.

So to answer you question on D. Hagan becoming the #2 receiver for the Bills, I need to know what time frame you are talking about. Season opener? The answer would be no. Latter half of the season? There is a possibility. Next season? If he's still on the team, had a solid season, and the world didn't end then the position could be his to lose.

yes Derek Hagan who has only player 4 games for the Bills but caught 13 passes for an average of 10.6 yards per catch,

but how many big yard pass interference calls did he have against him? i know he had a handful and they where all deep balls, i hope for the best for him but who knows its a deep wr pool :beer: