Is Vince Young a wacko or just a player that needs coaching?

HOUSE

I was looking through the last 10 pages and there is almost nothing on Vince Young so I thought I would get your feelings on Buffalo's #2 quarterback.

I worked with a lot of people that made mistakes only to be labeled as trouble then fired. One is now President of a Bank in Houston Texas. Seems he had the skills but for some reason failed. People and players change over time. Some take an opportunity and run with it, some never change.

Let me give you my take on Vince Young. Played really well in Tennessee but hated Jeff Fisher. Also booed by the fans and he didn't handle it well. Played okay in Philadelphia but most of his interceptions were from throwing the ball on the run when he should have just lowered his head with a 5 yard gain. Pretty easy adjustment with the right coaching. Jaws is always knocking NFL teams for lack of quarterback coaching, it seems to be his new mission in life and I agree...

On Vince Young

I remain undecided if he can regain his career or retire from the NFL as a backup. Vince Young is #3 in the NFL for accuracy on the long pass. See link.

http://www.profootba...f-deep-passing/

With the proper coaching and motivation to change, I seriously doubt his career is over.

What is YOUR take on Vince Young, I can't predict the outcome....Could be waived after training camp or the starter by mid season...who knows? :flirt:

Vince Young interview: "FRESH START"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvj1-kAxp0Y

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my take is he is mentally weak, and physically gifted

physical gifts can only take you so far.

Coaching might help, but so far it doesn't' look like VY has the mental power to become a great QB

Coaching might help, but so far it doesn't' look like VY has the mental power to become a great QB

Pretty fair assessment in my opinion. Hope to watch this guy in preseason. Should be very interesting. :flirt:

I was looking through the last 10 pages and there is almost nothing on Vince Young so I thought I would get your feelings on Buffalo's #2 quarterback.

If you looked just a little further back, you would see that we flagellated this horse to smithereens in several threads just after the signing and a bunch after mini-camp wrapped up.

I worked with a lot of people that made mistakes only to be labeled as trouble then fired. One is now President of a Bank in Houston Texas. Seems he had the skills but for some reason failed. People and players change over time. Some take an opportunity and run with it, some never change.

Let me give you my take on Vince Young. Played really well in Tennessee but hated Jeff Fisher. Also booed by the fans and he didn't handle it well. Played okay in Philadelphia but most of his interceptions were from throwing the ball on the run when he should have just lowered his head with a 5 yard gain. Pretty easy adjustment with the right coaching.

I remain undecided if he can regain his career or retire from the NFL as a backup. Vince Young is #3 in the NFL for accracy on the long pass. See link.

http://www.profootba...f-deep-passing/

With the proper coaching and motivation to change, I seriously doubt his career is over.

What is YOUR take on Vince Young, I see a battle ahead this season and I can't predict the outcome....

A battle for what? There will be a battle in training camp for the role of backup QB.

The starting QB job is Fitz's to lose, which is not my idea of a battle. If Fitz suddenly starts playing like Trent Edwards, we will see VY after 2 games (avert! that would be unimaginably painful to watch). If he does a reprise of the 3 games subsequent to Washington (Jets/Dallas/Miami), we will see VY, but only after 2-3 additional games of Lee and Gailey trying to make adjustments.

Why? A factor you don't mention - getting into the book, mastering the game plan, knowing his progressions so that he doesn't get jammed into a place where his choice is putting his head down or letting 'er rip. I don't think it's an accident that, sent to a team that runs a complex variant of the West Coast offense with extra wrinkles, VY struggled and didn't stick.

So it's not just the head case, and not just a need for coaching, it's a need to demonstrate he can master the game at the pro level at the pro tempo.

Can he do it? Sure! All the time, adults who bombed as students in HS and after return to school and do well. Why? They're motivated and dedicated.

But until he does it, and Chan has total confidence that he's done it, Chan would have to way way dumb down his offense for Vince and he knows it. I don't know why folks think we run a simple little offense where a receiver who streaks down the sideline but struggles to master the playbook could contribute big time. We don't. It's not just a matter of a little behavioral coaching "hey Vince, put your head down and run instead of hurling the ball".

the difficult thing is you can not fairly judge quarterback play in the preseason although several on this board sure do.

I think you can fairly judge QB play based on a horrible career. Wins and Losses are team stats; not QB stats. Other than half of one season, two years ago, this guy has been terrible. On and off the field.

Let me give you my take on Vince Young. Played really well in Tennessee but hated Jeff Fisher. Also booed by the fans and he didn't handle it well. Played okay in Philadelphia

Nothing on this site could be further from the truth. I live in Nashville, and he stunk, plain and simple. His numbers will show you he is simply a terrible QB, never prepared for games, or even bothered to master the offense. He was exposed here in the local media as a guy that never bothered to know any offense put in front of him, and that's exclusively his fault. He made very bad decisions in every game he played, had no pocket presence, awful passer stats, and generally ran himself out of town. His winning record is also everyone else's winning record for those games, and made plays by running, which would be good if it every meant anything. What he did in Philly was exactly the same crap he did here in Tennessee, he just kept his mouth shut, and has learned to say things more politically correct, which a player will do when they realize they are running out of chances.

Just my opinion here, but I don't see him starting for any team in the NFL ever again, unless Chan Gailey magically gets him to understand an offense, learns how to be an accurate passer, and manage a game. Nothing personal House, I just disagree with that assessment...

Let me give you my take on Vince Young. Played really well in Tennessee but hated Jeff Fisher. Also booed by the fans and he didn't handle it well. Played okay in Philadelphia but most of his interceptions were from throwing the ball on the run when he should have just lowered his head with a 5 yard gain. Pretty easy adjustment with the right coaching.

I remain undecided if he can regain his career or retire from the NFL as a backup. Vince Young is #3 in the NFL for accracy on the long pass. See link.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/29/three-years-of-deep-passing/

What is YOUR take on Vince Young, I see a battle ahead this season and I can't predict the outcome....

A FRESH START, very interesting Youtube clip

youtube.com/watch?v=kvj1-kAxp0Y

He didn't play really well in Tennessee. He was "okay" at best. And he was beyond horrible in Philadelphia. People can spin it whatever way they want ... but the bottom line is that the Eagles would rather have Trent Edwards on their roster than Vince Young. That, in addition to his history on/off field, is a huge red flag - and an indicator - that this guy isn't going to be successful in the NFL. Ever. I just hope Thigpen gets his head out of his a$$ and beats this trainwreck out.

Nothing on this site could be further from the truth. I live in Nashville, and he stunk, plain and simple. His numbers will show you he is simply a terrible QB, never prepared for games, or even bothered to master the offense. He was exposed here in the local media as a guy that never bothered to know any offense put in front of him, and that's exclusively his fault. He made very bad decisions in every game he played, had no pocket presence, awful passer stats, and generally ran himself out of town. His winning record is also everyone else's winning record for those games, and made plays by running, which would be good if it every meant anything. What he did in Philly was exactly the same crap he did here in Tennessee, he just kept his mouth shut, and has learned to say things more politically correct, which a player will do when they realize they are running out of chances.

Just my opinion here, but I don't see him starting for any team in the NFL ever again, unless Chan Gailey magically gets him to understand an offense, learns how to be an accurate passer, and manage a game. Nothing personal House, I just disagree with that assessment...

Wow, he must really suck, I assume you believe he has no future in Buffalo. :flirt:

He didn't play really well in Tennessee. He was "okay" at best. And he was beyond horrible in Philadelphia. People can spin it whatever way they want ... but the bottom line is that the Eagles would rather have Trent Edwards on their roster than Vince Young. That, in addition to his history on/off field, is a huge red flag - and an indicator - that this guy isn't going to be successful in the NFL. Ever. I just hope Thigpen gets his head out of his a$$ and beats this trainwreck out.

Buddy Nix picked his guy in free agency so I'm going to wait it out before I access his game. Don't like Thigpen Yet he never made the field either.

I see Vince Young is a sore subject on this board. Must of been some bashing a few months back.

I just dont understand what excites you about this guy. The fact he has a 55% completion percentage? That players favorite coach Jeff Fisher benched him 5 times? His suicide watch night? Ya he was picked 3rd overall and has a great highlight reel in college but that was what 06? Remember when he refused to go back into the opener because he got booed (something Bills fans have done to many bad QB)and Kerry Collins, the ageless wonder led them to a 13-3 year? That was a super bowl caliber team with a QB with VYs skill set and he quit on his team half way through the first game. I dont want him to lead this team when we have similar talent

I just dont understand what excites you about this guy. The fact he has a 55% completion percentage? That players favorite coach Jeff Fisher benched him 5 times? His suicide watch night? Ya he was picked 3rd overall and has a great highlight reel in college but that was what 06? Remember when he refused to go back into the opener because he got booed (something Bills fans have done to many bad QB)and Kerry Collins, the ageless wonder led them to a 13-3 year? That was a super bowl caliber team with a QB with VYs skill set and he quit on his team half way through the first game. I dont want him to lead this team when we have similar talent

Do I appear excited? I am interested in the opinion of others here. I am not even a fan. I just want to win, don't care how......

Edited by HOUSE

Good points, and accurate

VY is the type of player that needs to be in the same system, and under the same coaches in order to develop properly. Even then, if the coaching is lacking he might never fully develop. However, looking at new Bills QB coach David Lee who probably has a good a chance as any to help him fully develop.

I look at the Bills roster with Brad Smith and can't help but think he might be the odd man out as a backup QB, perhaps his new spot is at WR.If the Bills want to run the WC I would think Young would be better then Smith as he is more physically gifted, and taller by 3 inches.I see a spot on the Bills roster over Thigpen and Smith at backup QB.

The Bills stated they wanted to draft Cam Newton, here is a player with the same skill set. So let Young be a back up for awhile and see if the coaches are able to get this #1 draft pick to learn the Bills system and get his head on straight. VY seems to have matured since his time with the Titans