Warren Sapp

Last night on "NFL Total Access", after Nick Barnett gave Solomon Wilcots a tour of the Bills facility, they had on Warren Sapp (and I forget the other guy's name) and discussed if the Bills were a playoff team this year. Sapp said (somewhere along these lines) 'No, not this year, but Dave Wannstedt is transforming the defense, and it takes time'.

I have to disagree with Sapp. IMO, the Bills were a playoff team last year before half the team went on IR. The Bills beat the AFC Champs [Patriots], and lost to the Superbowl Champs [Giants] by 3 points. Last season, the Bills had one effective NT [Dareus], because Kyle Williams was dealing with Achilles problems before going on IR. This year, the Bills have a healthy KW to go along with Marcell Dareus as their DT's. Plus, the Bills added an elite pass rusher in Mario Williams, plus a very good pass rusher in Mark Anderson. Also, the Bills have an easier schedule since they finished in 4th place in the AFC East last season and will play against other 4th place division teams.

IMO, I believe the Bills are a playoff team this year, and have the possibility of winning the division.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree it does take time and the bills will struggle to keep pace in the playoff race

but they have a few things in their favor that gives them their best chance in years to make it. they have a mature offense going into its third season with most of the same players, including solid depth everywhere except catching te. they have a defense loaded with veteran players to help ease the transition and already played a lot of the 4-3 last season. and they have a relatively easy schedule

they will likely need ten wins to get into the playoffs and should be in the hunt late into the season. having five of their last seven games at home could prove to be key in nailing down a spot

It would serve all Bills fans well to remember two simple truths:

#1: in general, the prevailing school of thought is that the Bills suck and will always suck, with the exception of...

#2: ...fans who frequent message boards dedicated to the Bills.

The next time I'm either upset or elated by any prognostications the national media make about the Bills will be the first. As they say, opinions are like a$$holes.

Last night on "NFL Total Access", after Nick Barnett gave Solomon Wilcots a tour of the Bills facility, they had on Warren Sapp (and I forget the other guy's name) and discussed if the Bills were a playoff team this year. Sapp said (somewhere along these lines) 'No, not this year, but Dave Wannstedt is transforming the defense, and it takes time'.

I have to disagree with Sapp. IMO, the Bills were a playoff team last year before half the team went on IR. The Bills beat the AFC Champs [Patriots], and lost to the Superbowl Champs [Giants] by 3 points. Last season, the Bills had one effective NT [Dareus], because Kyle Williams was dealing with Achilles problems before going on IR. This year, the Bills have a healthy KW to go along with Marcell Dareus as their DT's. Plus, the Bills added an elite pass rusher in Mario Williams, plus a very good pass rusher in Mark Anderson. Also, the Bills have an easier schedule since they finished in 4th place in the AFC East last season and will play against other 4th place division teams.

IMO, I believe the Bills are a playoff team this year, and have the possibility of winning the division.

Hugh Douglas and Tim Hasselbeck, on NFL32, yesterday, seem to feel the same way. Douglas wasn't as emphatic, but Hasselbeck

thinks it is "a leap" to assume that signing Mario and Anderson makes the Bills a playoff team...he seems to think they are a year or two away still.

The thing that worries me, amid all of the raised expectations for this year, is that unless the Bills win the division, them making the playoffs is not a sure thing, by any stretch. I can't dismiss the Patriots that easily. The Bills could win the division, but we are assuming a lot of things will go our way.

I am excited about the season, mind you, but I do think the Bills could be much better, and still miss the playoffs. The entire AFC West, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, Cincinatti, Jets and Patriots could all have teams with legit playoff hopes...at 10 or 11 teams, obviously all won't make it...I may be in the minority, but I also don't particularly like the way the Bills schedule is layed out. Sometimes, as some coach said somewhere over the years, it isn't always who you play, but when you play them.

Hugh Douglas and Tim Hasselbeck, on NFL32, yesterday, seem to feel the same way. Douglas wasn't as emphatic, but Hasselbeck

thinks it is "a leap" to assume that signing Mario and Anderson makes the Bills a playoff team...he seems to think they are a year or two away still.

The thing that worries me, amid all of the raised expectations for this year, is that unless the Bills win the division, them making the playoffs is not a sure thing, by any stretch. I can't dismiss the Patriots that easily. The Bills could win the division, but we are assuming a lot of things will go our way.

I am excited about the season, mind you, but I do think the Bills could be much better, and still miss the playoffs. The entire AFC West, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, Cincinatti, Jets and Patriots could all have teams with legit playoff hopes...at 10 or 11 teams, obviously all won't make it...I may be in the minority, but I also don't particularly like the way the Bills schedule is layed out. Sometimes, as some coach said somewhere over the years, it isn't always who you play, but when you play them.

I disagree with the Jets. The Jets went backwards last year to 8-8. I don't see Tony Sparano & Tim Tebow having that great of an impact on the Jets. The main reason why the Bills have been unable to beat the Jets is because we couldn't get any pressure at all on Sanchez. That will change this year. While I'm not dismissing the Patriots at all, but the Bills beat them and had a 21-0 lead in the 2nd meeting (before SJ's benching). This is the first time in years where the Bills have a legitimate chance of winning the division.

I half agree with Sapp. My personal feeling is that, while this year will be very important, the two years after this one are when we'll make a splash. I think we'll be in the mix for playoffs this year, but I won't be heartbroken if we're not. I want to see us solidify some positions, get the young kids a bit more seasoning, and then really make our run in '13 and '14.

I agree with all the things you said except for the bolded statement. That is a very weak argument. If someone uses that thinking, you can easily say that the Redskins are going to win the NFC East because they swept the Giants and that because the Dolphins beat the Bills, and the Bills beat the Pats, they are going to be competing for the division title too.

And to Warren Sapp and all the other people, :censored: him!1!!

Edited by Teen Insight

I disagree with the Jets. The Jets went backwards last year to 8-8. I don't see Tony Sparano & Tim Tebow having that great of an impact on the Jets. The main reason why the Bills have been unable to beat the Jets is because we couldn't get any pressure at all on Sanchez. That will change this year. While I'm not dismissing the Patriots at all, but the Bills beat them and had a 21-0 lead in the 2nd meeting (before SJ's benching). This is the first time in years where the Bills have a legitimate chance of winning the division.

And gave up 49 unanswered points. Would SJ have stoped that?

I agree with all the things you said except for the bolded statement. That is a very weak argument. If someone uses that thinking, you can easily say that the Redskins are going to win the NFC East because they swept the Giants and that because the Dolphins beat the Bills, and the Bills beat the Pats, they are going to be competing for the division title too.

And to Warren Sapp and all the other people, :censored: him!1!!

I wouldn't say that is a weak argument. The Pats had a 15 game win streak against the Bills, which finally ended last season.

Nope, but if your offense all of a sudden shuts down, and you're giving the opposing Offense many more opportunities with better field position, then what do you expect?!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

No, but a healthy K. Williams, and the addition of M. Williams, M. Anderson, and the stache might have.

Also, Sapp sucks. Injuries killed the O last year, and having an amateur DC and no DL did not help either. Add health, and a top flight DC should make a huge difference.

I wouldn't say that is a weak argument. The Pats had a 15 game win streak against the Bills, which finally ended last season.

Nope, but if your offense all of a sudden shuts down, and you're giving the opposing Offense many more opportunities with better field position, then what do you expect?!

The Bills scored another TD after johnson was pulled, bad argument. Defense was beyond awful that day

The Bills scored another TD after johnson was pulled, bad argument. Defense was beyond awful that day

I'm just glad George Edwards got fired, and the Bills finally got pass rushers.

No, but a healthy K. Williams, and the addition of M. Williams, M. Anderson, and the stache might have.

Also, Sapp sucks. Injuries killed the O last year, and having an amateur DC and no DL did not help either. Add health, and a top flight DC should make a huge difference.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Why are people complaining? I like that someone's doubting us. I don't want us to be labeled as paper champions and I don't want bandwagon fans and I don't want too much positive feed from the media. We're just the lowly Bills and I'd like to keep it that way.

It doesn't take time to transform a defense, especially when every player has mostly played in a 4-3 in college and/or the NFL. But health will be the key.

Yah, defense is more about players than chemistry. See 2003 when we went from horrible to pretty good on that side of the ball almost overnight.

And Kyle Williams...I don't know, changing 3/4's of one of the most important units on the field and turning that weakness into a strength is not insignificant.

This is true, there aren't many wild card spots available. We have to beat the Tennessees of the world head to head.

I disagree with the Jets. The Jets went backwards last year to 8-8. I don't see Tony Sparano & Tim Tebow having that great of an impact on the Jets. The main reason why the Bills have been unable to beat the Jets is because we couldn't get any pressure at all on Sanchez. That will change this year.

The non-existent pass-rush hurt us in the 2nd game last yr, sure. But it's really been a little of everything. The offense was futile in the last 2 home games vs them and the run defense was abysmal in both 2010 games. Basically they've just been a better team but I'm not sure they still are.

If Warren had made this comment about LAST years team.....I think I would have agreed with him (and by comment I mean about transforming the defense)

- The reason why it takes time is because it takes time to create DEPTH....injuries happen. The fact is at most of the positions on this team this was the problem last year but this year we HAVE IT. Keep in mind.....sitting behind Mario Williams is Chris Kelsay....a former starter.....behind Anderson is Shawn Merriman.....who appears to have turned the corner

- At DT you have Darius and Williams.....but behind them you have guys that have gotten considerable playing time.......

- At Corner we appear to have drafted well the past two years....so even Terrance goes down? We still have 3-4 young guys who look very good....if McKelvin cant cut it? Gilmore looks like a stud.....depth really isnt a problem here

- You might think Linebacker would be a depth problem....but not really....we are going to be playing big safeties in linebacker spots A LOT in this defense

The 1st string defense looks like it could be top 5........now with the abilithy to insert a backup here and there and keep rolling because there is some quality there...

They just have to go out and prove it.

AND.....if we had ANY KIND of defense last year....we would have made the playoffs.

Yes, but at this point last season was anyone talking about Kyle William's injury?? I don't recall that happening. Point is it's easy now to say we're healthy, lets see how we look from an injury standpoint around Oct 15th or so. You're assuming everyone is going to recover fine and no new major injuries.

I do think we will be much better, but wouldn't try to make the argument that it's due to last years injuries will make the difference.

Last season, the Bills had one effective NT [Dareus], because Kyle Williams was dealing with Achilles problems before going on IR. This year, the Bills have a healthy KW to go along with Marcell Dareus as their DT's.